LOGAN (and other X-Mennish things) (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Razilin

Original poster
So I saw Logan last weekend, a bit on the late side, but still nothing but win.

I've read most of the major Wolverine and X-Men storylines from the comics and saw all the movies with the exception of X-Men Apocalypse.

Logan definitely was a great send off to Hugh Jackman's seventeen year performance as Sniktbub Bubsnkit. I do wish the storyline didn't outright negate any good achieved at the end of Days of Future Past, though.

I kind of feel like Logan would be the natural end to the un-altered timeline of X1 to X3, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and The Wolverine. Then you can have all the feels with the altered timeline of First Class, Days of Future Past, and Apocalypse.

What are your guys' thoughts on the X-films??

Reactions: Darog
While they aren't always the best (except with a few exceptions), I still greatly enjoyed the X-Men movies. Not as cinematic works of art, obviously, but fun films to sate my hunger for comic stuff when my eyes are too tired to actually read a comic. Plus, they've brought in a ton of new fans.

Logan blew my damn mind. I was expecting it to be some kind of loose adaptation of Old Man Logan, but man, it was so much better.

Reactions: Vardoger and Darog
Logan is my favorite of the line-up, hands down. It blew the rest out of the water. Well, I can't speak on Apocalypse. I legit did not know that movie existed until the week before watching Logan. Oops.

Reactions: Dipper
Logan was amazing, best X-Men movie to exist so far.

I do agree with it'd sit better with the original timeline though... Hopefully it get's announced that's the universe/time it takes place in.

my two favourite mutants have both got phenomenal movies to their name.

Now I just want a movie with both of them.

I honestly only saw the first 3 X-Men films before Logan, and I saw them years before I sat down and watched Logan, so... very little recollection of the actual X-Men timeline and plots. But Logan was so great because it was practically a standalone movie, with such a different emphasis on theme and tone. It was less a superhero movie and more about loss and growth. And it doesn't really have a good ending for our titular hero--who isn't a classical hero anymore. Very much like The Last of Us (to which I'll never stop drawing comparisons to), how it was a zombie game that wasn't about zombies, and has a gray, rather than a blissfully complete and pleasing ending. And if this is the direction R rated superhero movies will take us, then it's the direction superhero movies need to go.

I love the fact that there are so many superhero movies out that we can have DRAMATIC superhero movies, rather than action ones

• Love
Reactions: Dipper and Darog
I don't have much to say other than that I bawled leaving the theatre. :'D

I loved the Chemistry between Logan and Xavier.

It was definitely one of the best in the X-Men films, but a rather poignant send-off to a much-loved hero figure that children grew up watching. Logan's title very much stands out in the lineup of films, it sounds less like an action-adventure hero film that builds up the hype but at the same time manages to sound determined and optimistic. Instead, by going with such a simple title - the name of the titular protagonist - it manages to sound tired and cynical, and sounds like a definitive ending to the character we know and love.

It was heartbreaking to see that all of Wolverine/Logan's efforts to save the future in Days of Future Past were all for nothing. The mutant population still dies a slow death due to the son of a man he had to kill, not with a bang... But with a whimper instead. The sight of the once sharp and controlled Professor X slowly withering away into a normal man - almost - due to degenerative brain disease was all the more a gut punch, especially when we realize that it was one of his seizures that killed most of the X-Men.

Logan himself is no longer the nigh-invincible Wolverine with strong regenerative powers, but in a way it is both sad and heartening to see that even weakened, he's still fierce and dangerous. But very, very tired. You can see it in the way he lived his everyday life taking care of Charles and resorting to drinking to take away his chronic pain.

Since I don't follow the comic books, and have only seen the movies, X-23/Laura is an entirely new character to me. I do enjoy the way her and Logan's characters and personalities played off of each other. Logan was uncomfortable and unsure around this little girl not only because she is his 'daughter', but also because he sees himself in her, and in all the wrong ways. Laura was almost a weapon and no longer a person if she hadn't escaped, and seeing that in a girl no more than a child makes it even more unnerving. The entire deal of those genetically engineered child mutants being raised as a weapon is unnerving and disturbing in general.

They do slowly begin to show that they care about each other, but at the end viewers are left heartbroken with the ending. It is a fitting end, but not the one we would have wanted to see. I think this is what makes Logan such a great watch.

• Love
I'll just leave my own thoughts for Logan over here. I saw the movie over the last week and personally? Every super-hero movie is going to have to try hard to even topple Logan.

What I feel is best about this movie is that it's reasonably self-contained. You don't need background knowledge of the character's to evoke feelings within yourself. You don't need to connect it to any time-line. Any superhero movie that doesn't rely on past knowledge to make the plot worth it is amazing in my book. And the movie rewards you for knowing about subtle details and makes that knowledge and context worth it. Of course, it's not required.

Logan is not a superhero movie. It's a western, character drama movie about a man who has been living for 2 centuries, filled to the brim with suffering and pain. Trying to connect it to any time-line detracts from the purpose of the movie.

There's so many things that Mangold does great in this movie and I can't even begin to list all of them down.

But, I'll just leave this final image here.

" All I can see is part of one's person life, their death. And I saw yours."
" What did you see?"

tumblr_omb393iILi1w3iktgo1_500.gif

tumblr_omb393iILi1w3iktgo2_500.gif

Reactions: Shiri
Status
Not open for further replies.