Little Pub, Big Problems

Arynn, upon sitting down and straightening her robes over the seat, had proceeded in unloading a large, wood-bound volume and opening it on the bar, relieving the satchel of a small corked ink-pot and quill with her other hand. Inscribed on the left page was a large sketch of... a plant. Leaves turned and cross-sectioned with notes written with arrows in a thin, slanted script, even the root system was shown and cross-sectioned. The facing page was half-full of text, which the girl had been about to expound upon when she caught Daniel's words from down the bar.

What she was having? But she wasn't going to be drinking tonight - or ever, for that matter. Alcohol had a tendancy to lower a persons ability to use magic, research had found. Would he be angry at her? The girl had no plans of being in a bar-fight, but she also couldn't touch anything stronger than water in this place. Swallowing hard, she had to soften her grip on the pen for fear of snapping it as she searched frantically for another option in the moments it would take for the barkeep to get over there and take her order.

Cerul smiled lazily at the reply of the man. "Alright, I'll go investigate the lass." She giggled at her own comment and made her way over to the girl. She was drawing from what Cerul could tell, which she found intriguing. It was always something Cerul had wanted to be good at. If she could pain or draw something beautiful, she would feel accomplished in creating appeal. The wooden floor shined thanks to Joan which made Cerul smile a little bit more. She had a good crew so far, just needed a few more colourful characters and everything would be grand.

Soon as Cerul got over to the girl she looked to the paper. A plant? How lovely. Nature is beautiful. She didn't want to startle the lass, seeing as how she seemed in deep thought so she coughed, a poor one at that. "Oh, sorry if I frightened yah Miss, just coming o'er to get your request of drink 'er meal. So, what'll it be.. Miss... um.. I'm sorry, I don't know your name." It seemed as though a lot of new faces were making their way into Cerul's pub today. Which wasn't a bad thing, maybe she didn't know as many people as she thought she had.

Arynn couldn't deny she jumped a bit at Cerul's cough, but she composed herself quickly enough, setting down her pen and looking upward with a nervous smyle. "Arynn, Arynn Dagorsul" she said politely, folding her hands over the book. "A meal would be nice, anything without meat in it, and a glass of water, if I could." She swallowed, waiting for a raised eyebrow or a scornful look ro a snicker from down the bar and hoping none of them would come. She'd picked this place as a good place to have a bite to eat and study up at the end of the day, and really didn't want to have to to looking for another one in a region that was unfamiliar to her to begin with.

"Well Arynn, I can cook yeh up some of my bean stew, would that be ta yer likin'?" She scrawled down the water and was awaiting her response for the meal. Suppose the man at the bar will have to give me a response now, seeing as how this lady didn't get an alcoholic beverage, as he put it. Cerul thought with a small smile. She looked around to see what the other two men were up to. Axel was looking over at the man with no name, with a thoughtful expression on his face. He was probably analysing him. Cerul nearly snickered at the thought then looked back to the girl, Arynn.

The girl was no doubt from the Academy just a while away, with her robes and all her academic extras. This realisation brought on a feeling of envy from Cerul. She had always been put down because of the way she talked, but it wasn't as if she was unintelligent, it was just how she was raised. She had always wanted to go to the academy... but of course she was missing one thing: magic. Oh well...

"That sounds lovely, thank you" Arynn smiled. The dialect of the bartender matched that of many people she had encountered in this city thus far, and while the first few times she had needed directions, she now had a small translation going in her head. Her own manner of speech had been similar in shortenings and abbreviations, she had consciously changed it to attend the academy out of a desperate fear of being kicked out on suspicion of intellectual shortcomings.

"Excellent! Thanks for stopping by my humble aboad, one of my very first customers!" Cerul bowed in thanks and walked over to the bar opening. The stove/oven was neatly placed right by the cash register, so Cerul multi-tasked. She punched in the amount for each item and wrote down the total on Arynn's slip. She'd put it on the tray as she brought the order. She began boiling a large pot of water then walked over to the man without a name.

"Sir, sorry ta let yeh know, but that Miss over there isn't having any alcohol, she's havin' water. Would you be alright with that?" She asked, a bemused smile on her face. She took out her notepad awaiting his response. "Bye the way, what might yer name be?" She analyzed his appearance and noted he didn't have any familiar markings to tell her about where he came from or where he was raised. She then placed her attention back on him.

"A pleasure on my part" Arynn replied, bowing her head in thanks as Cerul departed. No longer prevented by the necessity of politeness, she resumed her work on the tome before her. The page of text, upon further scrutiny, would reveal first a detailed analysis of the plant on the facing page. Its seeds, buds, flowers, fruits, leaves, roots, how often it needed water, where it grew, what its different parts could be used for. As she continued to fill in this page, Arynn fished page after page of less neat and ordered notes from the bag, copying some, scratching out some, circling some words, some paragraphs, and began to order them in the book, carrying on from the physical analysis to a more metaphysical one, notes and a critical analysis of the magical properties and energies of this particular plant began to flow from her pen, and she bit her lip in concentration as she shuffled through her notes.

Hopefully food came soon, studying made her hungry. Hopefully no one decided to sit near and spill beer on her notes, she had worked hard to accumulate this many, and their cause was vitally important, if perhaps not to probably any of the inhabitants of this city, then to her, and to her people back home.

((((I miss this rp =())))

To say that she would be late was an understatement. However, Hayden should have known that she would not make it to their appointed meeting place; this wasn't exactly her hometown, was it? She had told him repeatedly that she would rather travel together than separately, but he had laughed her fear off as nerves. 'Well,' she thought, pulling the hood down around her face, 'he'll not mind if I spend a little more than I promised.' Kyle walked slowly down the street as her eyes scanned the surrounding buildings before they landed in a rather busy looking establishment.

Ah... A bar. Fingers clutching her purse and a dark light in her blue-green eyes, she made her way towards the door. Now, she wasn't the drinking sort and never would be- but warming herself up with a little liquor using Hayden's hard earned coin would be well worth the whining she would hear when she arrived at the chapel. She opened the door and closed it quietly behind her before loosening her cloak and letting the hood fall to her shoulders. "Not as busy as I thought," she murmured pulling her curling brown hair from her face. Hopefully they had some good food an drink. And lots of it.

((okay.. First post... whew!))