4. Multiple posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, Science Fiction, Historical Fiction, Paranormal, and Horror
Little Blackbird

This is a dark gothic fantasy story based in the town of Arkley known and yet not for its odd citizens and mysterious past. The town was founded around four hundred years ago by three families - The Whitmores, the Flemings, and the Mulvahils. Each family is known for their own special brand of peculiarity - The Whitmores like outsiders a bit too much, the Flemings seem to flinch at the sight of the sun, and the Mulvahils are far too obsessed with bodies of water. The truth of the matter is that they are not human - never have been, really. Then again, few in this little town are humans and those that are were practically cast out from normal society for one reason or another.

This town of otherworldly creatures and odd little humans rarely sees travelers or tourists save for once a year. At the tail end of the autumn season, Arkley hosts a grand festival open to any and all called the Festival of Spirits. It is a magnificent three day event to honor the founding families and all those who have passed on. There is music, performances, costumes, and contests! And at the end of it all: The Whitmore Masquerade; where at the end, guests of honor are asked to bring the festival to a close by taking a candle to Maybelle's Grove and honoring the first person to die in Arkley. Most never notice the ghostly blackbird that watches them as they traverse the forest. They never notice their hosts slipping away into the shadows. And they never notice when a young girl cries in mourning. Most never make it past the first hour of the hunt.

You see, long ago a young girl named Maybelle died. Her father couldn't let her death go and made a deal with something even monsters considered abnormal. It brought her back in the form of a phantom, doomed to forever haunt the forest she died in. Its price for this boon? The man's family would forever be beholden to it. Every year on the night she died, all members of the Whitmore family past the age of sixteen must complete a sacrifice or the creature would take their souls away.

• The Basics

I'm fairly new to this site, but not new to running these types of groups. In fact, this is an overhaul of one of my first ever groups and actually one I had plans to turn into a book, but dropped before writing. I have a lot of information about this world and a general plot for us all to follow, but I have plans to change things around based on the characters you create and the actions they take. I would like this role play to help you explore more into your characters in a dark fantasy setting. There is going to be violence, gore, death, and so much tragedy that this will probably be incredibly edgy.

The rules are the same general ones you'd find everywhere - No godmodding of any kind, no perfect characters, follow the site rules, and don't bully or harass people ooc. As for posting, I would like at least two paragraphs for each post and one post every two weeks at the least. A member of a founding family counts as a citizen. However, you can have up to four characters currently.

The story is loosely planned to follow the idea of your characters, the travelers and the citizens, getting to know each other over the course of the festival. The travelers will realize that people are hiding something, but can't quite figure out what. Each traveler character will enter a raffle where a few will be selected to take the walk to Maybelle's Grove where they will be hunted by the characters of the Whitmore family. From there, they will work to get out of the forest while the others are told what is happening and try to get in to help. The citizens will either work to stop them or help them. Or, at least, that's the general idea.

This is a dark victorian/gothic-esque fantasy setting...which was kinda based off Bloodbourne. This means that things will get dark and dreary. Know this before deciding - there is no happy ending and someone will lose. So, if you want what I'm hoping will be an emotional ride full of future emotional damage for your characters, look no further.

• Character Info

There are many playable roles and there should be enough founding family members for everyone to have one. The founding families all play a rather vital role and are all in on the hunt, though the Whitmores are the only ones to actively participate in it. The three families are very much designed to be morally gray or downright evil in some cases, but I encourage you to forge your own path for your character. There are NPCs that can still push the plot where it needs to go.

Oh! Before I forget, your characters can also be supernatural creatures. I even have a list ready to go as I would like them to follow a less modernized version of the creatures. You are, of course, free to add to the list. Just give me the rundown of your idea and we'll see about getting the creature to fit into the world.

You can have up to four characters. I will make npc's if we do not have enough people to enter the forest.

The Founding Families:
    There are three families that built Arkley - The Whitmores, the Flemings, and the Mulvahils. Each family has their own dark history and their own curse to bear. The Whitmores are beholden to a creature called Decay that turned them into shapeshifters. There will be four roles available for this family. The Flemings are cursed with vampirism that any who join the family is infected with as it is bound not to their blood, but to their name. There will be two roles available for this family. The Mulvahils are the descendants of the last true siren making them an endangered species. There will be two roles available for this family.

The Travelers:
    There are people born outside of Arkley who have traveled here for one reason or another. There is no limit on this role.

The Citizens:
    These are people who were born in Arkley or came here and decided to stay. They know or suspect the truth of this festival. Some might even be in on it - this is a rather tight knit town, afterall. There is no limit on this role.

I have the lore, species, and magic systems all written out. I am working on putting it all together into something that actually looks nice. Below is the link to the google docs which has everything you need to know. I will also link the other threads here when they are up.

Song Playlists:​

All Character Roles
Below is a list of all roles and the characters filling those roles. Feel free to reserve any spots!

The Whitmore Family
Myron Whitmore | Son of Waverly Whitmore (@MissyMay)
Amarantha Withmore | Daughter of Minerva Whitmore & Forrest Monaghan (@SilverPaw)
Armand Whitmore | Son of Ambrose Whitmore & Anais Bouchard (@Bahiyya)
Majna Whitmore | Child of Serena Whitmore(@StarlightStarbright)
Horace Whitmore | Child of Waverly Whitmore (@The Lotus Archives)

The Fleming Family
Nikolas Fleming | Son of Sydney & Theresa Fleming (@cry)
Rivka Fleming | Daughter of Claude & Neil Fleming (@cowboyclown)

The Mulvahil Family
Gladiolus Mulvahil | Daughter of Lacey & Edgar Mulvahil (@Ai-in Ayan)
Nerina Mulvahil | Daughter of Lucia & Carmela Mulvahil (@Princess Rose)

Travelers
Felix Fletcher | Merchant Thief (@MissyMay)
Laverne Wycliffe | Journalist's Apprentice (@MissyMay)
Penelope Albrecht | Novelist (@cry)
Jamil De Bosque | Performer/Drag Queen (@StarlightStarbright)
Mizuko Ryu | Traveling Noble (@The Lotus Archives)
Onne | Guardian (@The Lotus Archives)
Olenn Jordenson | Stable Keeper (@Luther)

Citizens
Mina Delagney | Constable (@MissyMay)
Hyacinth Adventurine | Butler/Bodyguard (@Ai-in Ayan)
Amir Bijan | Owner of the Achaemenes (@The Lotus Archives)
Oleander Valcourt | School Teacher (@cry)
Baron Grady | Surgeon (@Luther)

Character Info & Sheets
You are open to make whatever type of character your wish so long as they at least loosely fit into the setting and can explain why they are the way they are. You can make a time traveler, you can make a woman literally haunted by the ghosts of her past, you can make a sarcastic man cursed to be a hairless cat. You can even make the mortal reincarnation of one of this worlds gods... though I do ask that you request something like that first. The only limit is your imagination and the world setting. If you want to add or make up a new species, please ask me and we can create some info for it. I also changed the rule so that you only have to make one character if you want to, but four is your maximum limit as of right now. My only ask is that you avoid making overpowered characters without reason or weakness.

I'm not particular about how you set up your character sheets. I only really care about a name, age, story role (traveler, citizen, founding family), a detailed backstory and the answer to the three questions. I would prefer semi-realistic art, realistic art, or real people as face claims. Below is a basic character sheet you can use.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'll answer asap.

Name:
Species:
Sexuality:
Role:
Personality:
Backstory:
If your character is a traveler, would you be okay with them entering the forest after the festival?

If your character is a citizen, do they know the truth of the festival and how do they feel about that?

If your character is a member of a founding family, would they attempt to help or hinder the travelers?

@SilverPaw @fauxklimt @Dusk
Just in case you guys are still interested or want a look at the lore (google docs) before committing,
I also changed the rule on the character limit so you only have to make one, but can still make up to four.​

Last edited:
Are yall interested in a discord for this so we can keep in contact there?

I'm down. I have discord myself. Heck, I'm a part of the Iwaku Discord. Not sure if all of everyone else would be down, but if a majority of us are down for it I bet it'd be fun!

If several of us are up for it, I'd be glad to make a discord. Plus it'd give us a place to drop memes about our characters.

If several of us are up for it, I'd be glad to make a discord. Plus it'd give us a place to drop memes about our characters.
Ohoho yes! I mean, regardless I would probably still post memes about the Arkley sillies, whether in thread or in a discord channel. A discord server would make it easier though!

I'm gonna @ everyone that hasn't seen this/reacted yet. Been meaning to @ everyone when the IC thread came out anyways.

@Ai-in Ayan
@cry
@fauxklimt
@SilverPaw
@cowboyclown
@Bahiyya

How are we all feeling about this folks?

I feel like it'll make communicating so much easier.

Reactions: The Lotus Archives

Discord sounds good. Also, do have some ideas for the IC post...but I'll probably take a bit to get to it :x

Yes so discord is going to be a go

I will get the discord up today or tomorrow then! Anyone got any requests for channels?

I don't particularly care but the ability to chat instantly with our fellow rpers will be really nice

I will get the discord up today or tomorrow then! Anyone got any requests for channels?
A reaction/oc memes channel for sure 😁
That's all I got lol. Maybe a plot channel where we can make inter-character plots? Idk

I will have an intro up for Amir within a few hours. I'mma wait a bit to bring the other two into the soup. Might have Onne come at night.

Here's the link to the discord server! It's nothing special to look at right now, but it's functional and the channels are all there.

Hi there! Is this rp still open? It looks super cool. :)

Reactions: The Lotus Archives
Reactions: Luther
YES on the Discord, also a media channel would be nice, for like muse music / videos and such.

YES on the Discord, also a media channel would be nice, for like muse music / videos and such.
The discord is now up! I linked it in the top post :) I'll add a media channel to it soon

4db2eb28f70b2ecb58b01a0eba54dcb56602fc69.gifv

Name: Olenn Jordenson
Species: Human
Sexuality: Bisexual
Role: Traveler
Personality:

In his younger and mkre rebellious years. Olenn could've been described as an energetic young man with the world ahead of him open for prospect. He was keen and sharp witted, but knew how to treat with respect those who deserved it. He was kind and thoughtful, and had an unruly type of humor about him where pranks and foolishness ran wild with youth.

Unfortuneately, those years are long gone and age is a cruel mistress. Now these days, Olenn is reserved and even more cautious, constantly looking over his shoulder in paranoid fashion as if always on the run from slmething. He is gloomy and depressed, wishing every day that death would come swiftly for his aching heart and suffering soul. He is quiet and doesnt speak much, and the bottle of liquor has become his best friend. He sleeps too much and remembers the night terrors as if they were memories. His outlook on life is no longer an outstretching landscape before hum, but instead a cage with black iron bars and no hope for escape.

-Sleeping his days away
-Hunting in the forests with his bow
-Game meat
-Violin music
-The locket he keeps in his pocket
-Animals, particularily dogs and horses
-Riding horses
-Small talk between friends
-Cool breezes on summer days
-Crickets at bight
-Bonfires under the stars

Dislikes:
-Cold weather
-Night terrors
-Constantly wandering around from place to place
-Illness
-Snow
-Putting down an animal he cared for
-His memories of his late wife
-Thinking too hard about what life could have been
-Running out of alcohol
-Alcohol withdrawal

Backstory:

Olenn was born the middle child of his family, and was raised under strick house rules laid down by his father. He learned very quickly that his family was not the most well off, and he would find himself along with his brothers taking up chores around the family homestead in order to keep it running smoothly. It was from this that he learned his skills with horses and large domestic animals. Later on in life, his father Contracted an illness that degraded his health rapidly, and the family was soon left to his elder brother after his father's passing.

Olenn left home when he was around 17 and jpined another group of young men in a cross country journey. They practically lived off of the land, and it was here that Olenn learned not only how to hunt and create amo for his bow, but also how to have fun. Woth no rules being by oneself, they young men found pleasure in binging on drink and food at passing pubs, finding good company around campfires, and even engaging in a bit of thievery and trouble when food sources ran low.

but in a botched robbery, Olenn realized he didnt want to live the rest of his life a criminal on the run. The family his crew had targeted had a daughter that Olenn had taken a fancy to. Because of his love for this woman, he reshaped his ways and attempted to mend the wrongs against her father, offering to help with his farm and lands in order to gain his trust. Over time, the family grew to accept Olenn as their own, and he soon married the young woman afterward.

the two lived happily for many months before they split off from her family to head out on their own. Olenn took them to a city, renting a small place with money he received through odd jobs. Soon, he realized his wife was pregnant with his children, two twin boys to be exact. He couldnt have been happier. And this is when he learned how heartache could spring at any moment.

after returning homeate after an evening hunt, he entered the house to find his wife murdered in her own bed. The commotion caused suspicion eith his neighbors and the townspeople, and he soon foudn himself on the run, having been believed to be the murderer of his own wife and unborn sons. He ran and ran until he found himself at his current location. He drinks and sleeps his days away now, half hoping tbag death will come to him in the night and take his sufferings away.

If your character is a traveler, would you be okay with them entering the forest after the festival?
absolutely, kind of hoping for a way he can enter. He would be a formidable opponent, but his crushed soul and lack of a will to continue would be an interesting clash. The instinct to fight and live or the willingness to die.
508388-sean-bean.jpg

25141bd4b498b5c11b6c8648780d5dc74a9e23f9.gifv

Name: Baron Grady
Species: Shadow Person
Sexuality: Unknown, Ace questioning
Role: Citizen
Personality:

If youve ever come across someone who you were supposed to trust but had a slight feeling you shoudnt, then youve already met Doc Grady. The man seems like a kind fellow who only wants the best for his community, but he always seems to have an agenda of his own... sometimes even against the foundjng families he serves under.

An intelligent man, be runs a surgical office that doubles as a veterinary clinic for thos who walk on a more wild side of life. He is incredibly skilled at his job, and takes his work very seriously... sometimes a bit too seriously. He has been known to 'trick' unsuspecting patients into giving up more blood than originally allotted, and even conducts hos own experiments on those who may not be quicker on the mental draw.

of course, he knows much of his work isnt aimply brushed aside. Therefore, he attempts to use his work as a bargaining chip for members kf the families. Blood for those who must quench their thirst on things other than animals are on the tops of his lists. Need a body dug up? Hes the guy to call. Want someone to come down with a terrible cold? Hes got you covered. Need someone hacked into a million pieces and spread over the farm fields for the crows to find? Nothing but a jobs day of work. Hes not afraid to get things done, and sometimes even thrills himself if its a messy job.

Despite his darker mentality, he is a man of good taste. He likes his drinks cold, enjoys classical music with the rest of the audience, and is always one of the first to attend the festivities. He makes sure his friendly facade is nearly impenetrable... nearly.

-Wearing darker clothes to help camouflage himself
-Clean glasses
-Working in his office
-Writing and reading
-attending festivals
-Getting 'work' completed
-Serving the founding families... when it benefits him and his situation
-Seeing life at the mercy of his actions

Dislikes:
-Confrontation
-Extremely hot sunny weather
-Getting scolded by his authorities
-Failing to get the job done
-Getting found out
-Warm alcohol
-Being made fun of or humiliated
-Losing his glasses
-being bossed around
-Physical fights, hes not super strong or quick for that matter

Backstory:

Even as a young boy, Grady has always had an interest in sciences... particularily those of the biological kind. He would use his shadow transformation abilities to catch small animals for his experiments and research, and by the time he was a young man, he knew the ins and outs of every living vermin animal on the side of the county. Perhaos this is why many hired him as an exterminator for their homes and businesses.

but being a Supernatural creature of darkness drives one to often look beyond what is socially acceptible, especially when that society is run by human beings. The abductions become less about the missing family cat or dog and more about how the little old man or lonely widow from next door suddenly vanished from their homes.

every time the suspicion would rise to quickly in these villas and cities, Grady would pack up his office and move down the line to the next town. It only took until facing and escaping execution by way of the noose that Grady realized he shouldn't be finding his business in a place run by normal citizens. This is why he came to settle in this lovely, spooky town. He could be amongst those of his own Supernatural kind while still finding prey to practice 'medicine' on. It's a win win for a devil like himself.

If your character is a citizen, do they know the truth of the festival and how do they feel about that?
Grady is fully aware of the festivals and their underlying purposes. Considering the work he has done for the families, he couldn't be happier to participate in the grievous festivities hidden under beautiful flowers.

shadow-people-glowing-eyes.jpg

Shadow people are very much like living shadows, dark black silhouettes of people that stalk along the dark alleyways and shades beneath trees and buildings. While they don't obtain much power from this camouflage, they are able to slip passed even the sharpest of eyes and are known for their cunning and sneakiness. Their primary powers are to dissolve into shadows, dark spaces, and even deep waters (for as long as they can hold their breath), allowing them brief invisibility from prying eyes or people hunting them down for one reason or another. It is mainly used as a defense mechanism, as it holds little to no offensive advantage.

Strengths:
-Able to quickly hide themselves in everyday shadows or dark spaces
-Can allow for a moment of advantageous surprise on an unsuspecting victim, or as a way to spy without being noticed
-Small distance teleportation between groups of shadows, but it only really works in certain situations

Weaknesses:
-Strictly used when shadows or dark spaces are present, and they cannot generate their own shadows
-Their glowing eyes often give them away
-Their powers vanish upon being spotted and seized by an enemy and do not resurge until at a safe distance form their pursuer

Last edited:
Personality:
Backstory:

If your character is a member of a founding family, would they attempt to help or hinder the travelers?

Personality:
Backstory:

Wip
Oooh! I'm looking forward to seeing these finished and (hopefully) accepted! These concepts sound so cool so far! ^o^

• Love
I think I'm finished with my forms, but if I need to change anything I sure will try my best! :)

4db2eb28f70b2ecb58b01a0eba54dcb56602fc69.gifv

Personality:

In his younger and mkre rebellious years. Olenn could've been described as an energetic young man with the world ahead of him open for prospect. He was keen and sharp witted, but knew how to treat with respect those who deserved it. He was kind and thoughtful, and had an unruly type of humor about him where pranks and foolishness ran wild with youth.

Unfortuneately, those years are long gone and age is a cruel mistress. Now these days, Olenn is reserved and even more cautious, constantly looking over his shoulder in paranoid fashion as if always on the run from slmething. He is gloomy and depressed, wishing every day that death would come swiftly for his aching heart and suffering soul. He is quiet and doesnt speak much, and the bottle of liquor has become his best friend. He sleeps too much and remembers the night terrors as if they were memories. His outlook on life is no longer an outstretching landscape before hum, but instead a cage with black iron bars and no hope for escape.

-Sleeping his days away
-Hunting in the forests with his bow
-Game meat
-Violin music
-The locket he keeps in his pocket
-Animals, particularily dogs and horses
-Riding horses
-Small talk between friends
-Cool breezes on summer days
-Crickets at bight
-Bonfires under the stars

Dislikes:
-Cold weather
-Night terrors
-Constantly wandering around from place to place
-Illness
-Snow
-Putting down an animal he cared for
-His memories of his late wife
-Thinking too hard about what life could have been
-Running out of alcohol
-Alcohol withdrawal

Backstory:

Olenn was born the middle child of his family, and was raised under strick house rules laid down by his father. He learned very quickly that his family was not the most well off, and he would find himself along with his brothers taking up chores around the family homestead in order to keep it running smoothly. It was from this that he learned his skills with horses and large domestic animals. Later on in life, his father Contracted an illness that degraded his health rapidly, and the family was soon left to his elder brother after his father's passing.

Olenn left home when he was around 17 and jpined another group of young men in a cross country journey. They practically lived off of the land, and it was here that Olenn learned not only how to hunt and create amo for his bow, but also how to have fun. Woth no rules being by oneself, they young men found pleasure in binging on drink and food at passing pubs, finding good company around campfires, and even engaging in a bit of thievery and trouble when food sources ran low.

but in a botched robbery, Olenn realized he didnt want to live the rest of his life a criminal on the run. The family his crew had targeted had a daughter that Olenn had taken a fancy to. Because of his love for this woman, he reshaped his ways and attempted to mend the wrongs against her father, offering to help with his farm and lands in order to gain his trust. Over time, the family grew to accept Olenn as their own, and he soon married the young woman afterward.

the two lived happily for many months before they split off from her family to head out on their own. Olenn took them to a city, renting a small place with money he received through odd jobs. Soon, he realized his wife was pregnant with his children, two twin boys to be exact. He couldnt have been happier. And this is when he learned how heartache could spring at any moment.

after returning homeate after an evening hunt, he entered the house to find his wife murdered in her own bed. The commotion caused suspicion eith his neighbors and the townspeople, and he soon foudn himself on the run, having been believed to be the murderer of his own wife and unborn sons. He ran and ran until he found himself at his current location. He drinks and sleeps his days away now, half hoping tbag death will come to him in the night and take his sufferings away.

absolutely, kind of hoping for a way he can enter. He would be a formidable opponent, but his crushed soul and lack of a will to continue would be an interesting clash. The instinct to fight and live or the willingness to die.
508388-sean-bean.jpg

25141bd4b498b5c11b6c8648780d5dc74a9e23f9.gifv

Personality:

If youve ever come across someone who you were supposed to trust but had a slight feeling you shoudnt, then youve already met Doc Grady. The man seems like a kind fellow who only wants the best for his community, but he always seems to have an agenda of his own... sometimes even against the foundjng families he serves under.

An intelligent man, be runs a surgical office that doubles as a veterinary clinic for thos who walk on a more wild side of life. He is incredibly skilled at his job, and takes his work very seriously... sometimes a bit too seriously. He has been known to 'trick' unsuspecting patients into giving up more blood than originally allotted, and even conducts hos own experiments on those who may not be quicker on the mental draw.

of course, he knows much of his work isnt aimply brushed aside. Therefore, he attempts to use his work as a bargaining chip for members kf the families. Blood for those who must quench their thirst on things other than animals are on the tops of his lists. Need a body dug up? Hes the guy to call. Want someone to come down with a terrible cold? Hes got you covered. Need someone hacked into a million pieces and spread over the farm fields for the crows to find? Nothing but a jobs day of work. Hes not afraid to get things done, and sometimes even thrills himself if its a messy job.

Despite his darker mentality, he is a man of good taste. He likes his drinks cold, enjoys classical music with the rest of the audience, and is always one of the first to attend the festivities. He makes sure his friendly facade is nearly impenetrable... nearly.

-Wearing darker clothes to help camouflage himself
-Clean glasses
-Working in his office
-Writing and reading
-attending festivals
-Getting 'work' completed
-Serving the founding families... when it benefits him and his situation
-Seeing life at the mercy of his actions

Dislikes:
-Confrontation
-Extremely hot sunny weather
-Getting scolded by his authorities
-Failing to get the job done
-Getting found out
-Warm alcohol
-Being made fun of or humiliated
-Losing his glasses
-being bossed around
-Physical fights, hes not super strong or quick for that matter

Backstory:

Even as a young boy, Grady has always had an interest in sciences... particularily those of the biological kind. He would use his shadow transformation abilities to catch small animals for his experiments and research, and by the time he was a young man, he knew the ins and outs of every living vermin animal on the side of the county. Perhaos this is why many hired him as an exterminator for their homes and businesses.

but being a Supernatural creature of darkness drives one to often look beyond what is socially acceptible, especially when that society is run by human beings. The abductions become less about the missing family cat or dog and more about how the little old man or lonely widow from next door suddenly vanished from their homes.

every time the suspicion would rise to quickly in these villas and cities, Grady would pack up his office and move down the line to the next town. It only took until facing and escaping execution by way of the noose that Grady realized he shouldn't be finding his business in a place run by normal citizens. This is why he came to settle in this lovely, spooky town. He could be amongst those of his own Supernatural kind while still finding prey to practice 'medicine' on. It's a win win for a devil like himself.

Grady is fully aware of the festivals and their underlying purposes. Considering the work he has done for the families, he couldn't be happier to participate in the grievous festivities hidden under beautiful flowers.

shadow-people-glowing-eyes.jpg
They're accepted, though I will need a short description of the shadow person species as well as 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses for them. I could come up with that myself if you wish.

Feel free to post your characters in the Anthology and join the discord!