Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
  6. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
My times are pretty erratic, but I try to avoid being on EST 11pm-9am.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Modern, Historical Romance.
For you weird stalker snoopy folk, this is a thread for organizing and drafting stuff for Lexember - all about conlangs for November and December. December will be one word or phrase a day, with definitions and if they want, cultural notes, or alternative definitions and uses, or etymology, etc. This is the traditional Lexember, but not a lot of our community knows much about conlangs, and since November also ends with "ember" I figured I'd include it as a way to lead up to December, adding a number of guides on Lexember itself, language in worldbuilding (both common pitfalls and an interview on accents), how one goes about conlangs. I think that will probably end up being four guides which I'll post once a week, along with a few prompts or a "language package" one for making your worldbuilding more thoughtful, one for actually building conlangs. ..... I'll probably do the second one, not the prompts one. Maybe a genchat topic with a dice roller or generator for starting out with a language.

Write-ups:
Intro to Lexember - Brief "HELLO PLS JOIN ME FOR SOME CONLANG SHIT" with a description of what lexember is and what we're going to be doing on this site for it. (post before Nov first)
Languages in Worldbuilding Guide ::: post package at the same time, but in diff thread.
Accent Interview (or guide?)
Conlang Guide - What is a conlang and what are some things you should be thinking about when you work on one? ::: post package at same time but in diff thread.
A note on scripts
Start discussion thread on if anyone's planning to join, and what they're thinking about (gorb, this is probably gonna depress the shit out of me, but I wanna generate as much hype as possible). Maybe also discussion thread with generator or language meme.
Post on proper Lexember starting, and what the themes for this year are.
(post before December first)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Peregrine
Accent Guide

Giving your character an accent can add a unique or interesting facet to writing their dialogue, but I know I always feel intimidated about attempting them. So as a part of Lexember, I asked one of our wonderful, talented members here on Iwaku, @Mars Walker, some questions on how and why she writes accents.

Full Interview
When/why do you use accents? Are there cases where you prefer not to?

I use accents all the time, actually! I've always been interested in them, and so I like to implement them into my writing. But I have plenty of characters without accents, too. For me, whether or not I use an accent just depends on what the setting of the RP/Story is/where my character is from in-game/ic, I really like to have my characters blend in with their world, while still standing out via other traits!

What kinds of accents do you usually do and why?

One of the rules of writing dialogue is to say the words you've written aloud so that you can hear how it sounds— because sometimes it looks good, but it doesn't actually sound good. Keeping that in mind, I tend to use accents I can actually speak in, such as dialects of English, Scottish, Russian, or a good ol' Southern Drawl. I like to write what I know, so I generally stick to those accents because I've either been around them or observed/studied them in such a way that I feel comfortable writing them without sounding/looking weird.

What are the most common pitfalls you see people doing in trying to write accents?

There are a few pitfalls I can think of when writing accents, like being too heavy-handed with stereotypical statements, like having a Russian character exclusively refer to everyone or using the word comrade every other word, or having your character constantly search for english words to translate their native tongue into by writing things like "This is, how do you say in your language…" etc. And It's fine to include a phrase like that, but every sentence shouldn't start with a "How do you say," because In my mind, a real person would be more likely to pause and think for a moment to find the right words, or even just say it in their own language and maybe even describe what it means as best they can in english. Sometimes languages have phrases or words that cannot be translated properly into another, and that's okay!

If you're too heavy/stereotypical in writing out an accent that it can make the dialogue very stiff, so if you have an English character who uses an English Accent and you're writing something like "'Ello, my good chap, fine day we're having, innit? Oi fancy a tea-toime, with you milady!" It just doesn't flow naturally, because that's just not how people talk LOL!

Another pitfall I've seen and been a victim of myself is simply not having done research or observed enough people and how they exist in/take on the world with an accent and/or language barrier. It's very important to remember that your character is a person experiencing things, and not just a stereotype, so research and observe, and don't forget what makes your character who they are, because their experience in life will always impact how they talk, be it in their native language or in their accent. And their native language can affect how they speak in other languages as well, depending on how their native language structures sentences and such.

What kind of advice would you give to someone trying to write a character with an accent?

My advice is to remember that an accent is not really meant to be a personality trait, but it is a sort of character trait. Sometimes you'll have a character with an accent in a room or country full of people who will be like "Woah! That's an accent that I usually don't hear!" And that's totally fine! But again, an accent should not be a personality trait— I mean, is your accent part of your personality? Probably not! Accents are varied and unique, and not an accessory. It can get very old very quickly to see people write stereotypical accent-driven statements that only serve to show off how much of an accent your character has, and it can make your writing look a little amateur. Remember who your character is, what makes them who they are, where they're from, and how that impacts their train of thought, and by extension influences how they talk. Do your research, and observe how people with real accents speak, it really does help! I like to watch youtube videos to get the hang of things—you can really learn everything on that website, I'm not even joking— and sometimes I'll use google translate to grab a quick word to throw out in my character's native language. But it will always serve you well to try and google search things about how their native language works, so you can understand where a language barrier would occur, if at all, or how your character would structure a sentence in a language that's different from their own.

I recommend not being too heavy-handed when writing an accent though, because you want your readers to actually understand what you're saying, and you're still trying to keep people engaged in the writing. And sometimes an accent doesn't really have a visual way to be written, so you can throw in a statement after the dialogue that offers a nod to the fact that yes, indeed this character has an accent.

A lot of accents do have the ability to be written out— like a southern or country accent! I have a character, Siffir, who is from a fantasy setting, and her village is very isolated but made up of several families descending from different places all over the world, and so there's a melting pot of influence on her accent, but for the most part, it's a little bit american southern, and a little bit irish or scottish, with influences from what my brain feels like is Elvish. Writing for her is super fun, because I can actually write a lot of words in her accent without it being too confusing to read.

Some actual dialogue from Siffir, for example:

"Sweets and drinks? Man, ya really do spoil me, mo sora." She snickered, "I can definitely manage that! Can already smell the food stalls from 'ere, too."

Or

"Oi! Chicken Shit!" She exclaimed her horse's full name, placing her hands on her hips, "How'n da nine hells did ya even get back there! You'd have to back up, an' I know for a fact that you are petrified of moving backwards, unless ya been lyin' ta me this whole time!"

I have another character, Olya, who speaks in a Russian accent, and her dialogue looks like this:

"Comrades, look alive! There's a fantastic party out there, and we're holed up here in babushka's living room? I call blasphemy!" She exclaimed with a wide grin, swiping one hand in the air in front of herself as she took another sip from her flask and made her way over to the group in small, but quick strides.

"Sorry I'm late to the party, people, but Mama always says grand entrances are worth waiting for,
da?"

Or

"Krasivyy," Olya muttered to herself, looking over her shoulder seeing the looming lights of drones in the distance, "Damn!"

Or even

"Well, Ilya," She spoke his name with a playful lilt to her voice, "For how hard you're making us work, I hope you're at least taking us on a nice island getaway. I love the Motherland as much as the next scumbag criminal, but she is a frigid bitch, and I could stand to warm my toes."

The point in me showing some of the dialogue I've written for my accented characters is to show that you can throw in some words from their native language to help the dialogue feel more natural, and their speech pattern can reflect where they're from, but you do want it to be readable at the same time, and you can do that while maybe indulging in a little bit of stereotype, depending on the tone of the story and who your character is as a person. I know I ragged on the use of the word 'comrade' before, but Olya being who Olya is, she's gonna call you a comrade and not mean it at all, because many things are just a joke to her.

My takeaways from all this?
  1. Research the actual accent or foreign language you want to include with your character
  2. Avoid heavy-handed stereotypes
  3. Make your dialogue understandable
  4. You can throw in some of the original language (if it's foreign)
  5. Read what you've written aloud so you can hear how it sounds
  6. The accent is a part of your character, it should not be one of your character's main personality traits

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rissa
Even if it doesn't become an official event, if anyone wants to weave it into or around Christmas festival stuff, iono how that would work, but I'd be more than happy to do that.
maybe we could wrap in some christmas / end of year festivals "prompts/themes" ? like, "whats a word for cold, frost, presents, festival, etc."

Reactions: firejay1
WELCOME TO LEXEMBER!!!!

A two-month long event dedicated to conlangs.

For those of you wondering what I'm talking about, a conlang is a constructed language, something made intentionally by people, rather than developed naturally (a natlang). Sindarin, Klingon, even Atlantean and Na'vi are all famous examples of conlangs. Lexember (think "lexicon" which means dictionary) is a social media event like Mermay, if you were here for that, where conlangers create one new word a day during the month of December. I hope some of you will join me in doing that this December!

However, conlanging and language in worldbuilding are niche topics even a lot of top-notch writers hardly ever consider, so to kick us off, I'll be spending November posting guides on those topics once a week, along with starter packages for enriching the role of language in your world or starting your own conlang, and a discussion thread for your plans or ideas or fun pfacts about languages in your world. Finally, we'll begin Lexember proper, and share words with each other as we go along!

I hope you're all as excited about this as I am, and look forward to seeing the beautiful, unique languages you'll share.

The Prize

Make 20 new words or phrases, and you will get this beautiful Lexolotl trophy!

Just as an extra bonus for dedicated conlangers here, if anyone completes 31 words during December (I'm not gonna gatekeep the once a day thing but I will need proof you did it during the month of December 2023), they will have the option to get a font of their language! I'm not going to design a whole new script for you, but send me a clear picture of all of your letters, as well as the computer key (letters, basic punctuation, and numbers are all doable, but it has to be on an English keyboard, I cannot do this for special characters or foreign keyboards) that you want to represent that letter, and I will turn it into a simple font that you can use to type your language on your computer! It does not need to be for the language you worked on during Lexember, any one of your languages will do!

Small note that this requires long intense stretches of concentration (unless you've already got the vector files for it, lol), so it may take me a few months.

WELCOME TO LEXEMBER!!!

A two-month long event dedicated to languages in fiction.

Lexember (think "lexicon" which means dictionary) is a social media event held once a year during the month of December, where people create one new word a day for their conlangs, but we're going to be extending it to include an exploration into how to create a conlang in the first place, and how to use language to enrich your worldbuilding!

For those of you wondering "what's a conlang?" You've come to the right place! "Conlang" is short for "constructed language," and it refers to languages specifically made by people, rather than ones that developed naturally (a natlang). When I say "language" here, I am leaving out computer "languages" and referring specifically to the sort of thing we use to communicate with one another, such as English or French. Conlangs are distinct from cyphers, codes, and sometimes even the scattered fake words you find in a story, because they are able to express meaning in their own way, separate from any existing language. Famous examples of conlangs include Sindarin (of course), Na'vi, and Klingon, but also Esperanto, a language meant to facilitate international communication by basically mashing together a bunch of European languages (which was made by an ophthalmologist, btw, so HAVE NO FEAR).

For those of you wondering, "what does language have to do with my worldbuilding?" Lemme ask you a question. Does anything seem funny to you about the languages in Game of Thrones? It's okay if not, but to someone like me (not even a linguist just interested in languages), it's exceptionally jarring that a continent of that size has a singular "Common Tongue" with minimal variation and only one regional accent distinct enough to make note of. The wiki suggests that a reasoning for this is given in the books, but it's one that doesn't make much sense. It essentially claims that the Andals spread the language to the whole continent thousands of years ago after invading, and then the Targaryen conquest solidified a uniform language. This is deeply unlikely in such a large region over such a long amount of time, especially in one that has not yet seen the advent of widespread fast, long-distance communication. It's much more likely that the local languages before the invasion of the Andals would mingle with the Andal language and form very distinct dialects, that would then diverge further in very distant places, such that maybe the Dornish variant wouldn't be able to understand the Northern one. Especially proud or insulated communities like the Northerners or wildlings would resist this type of colonization strongly and are most likely to retain a local language even over the years and affected by the Andal tongue, especially since their geography makes them a little more difficult to control, and the invasion of the Targaryens is actually much more likely to result in THEIR attempts to colonize by imposing VALYRIAN as the main continental language, which would be very difficult to enforce, but still result in a further change among the regions based on accessibility and how hard they fight to maintain their language for whatever reason (note that it is not about superior peoples or languages. It is much easier to retain one's local language if the people are in some way extra culturally isolated and/or in high enough numbers and health to muster up patriotic spirit, which in turn is easier if the area is more unified, less accessible to the colonizer, or more resistant to the colonizer's diseases). And I came up with all that in the span of about 5 minutes of brief thinking while writing this out, without a deep or comprehensive knowledge of GRRM's world. (Please do not "well actually" me about this. I am aware that Westeros was supposed to be a scaled-up version of Britain, but that ignores the fact that 1. Distance matters heavily in language change, 2. English is in fact a mashed up, messed up mix of multiple other languages precisely because of its history of invasions, and 3. Within the UK there are multiple very distinct regional AND class-based accents as well as multiple I guess what you would call more "indigenous" languages yet to be stamped out.)

This is not me out to diss your favorite author, and I do not blame GRRM for leaving this kind of thing out. The simple fact is that you have a limited number of things you can work on in your worldbuilding, and you have to prioritize. It is okay if you don't care enough to change anything in your world, especially if it will alter how your story can be told. But you also don't have to be super careful about economics or political structure in your world. Sure, obsessive people or experts on the subject might "cinema sins" ding you on those things if you screw them up (basically every criticism of Harry Potter's world I've seen includes a mention of the silly way economics doesn't make any sense), but it's simply a facet of your story you can make more detailed to increase realism and engagement, not a NECESSARY thing to make your stories work, and language is the same way. It can enrich your world, but it's not the end of the world if you don't take care for it.

To explore these topics, I'll be posting three packages titled The Worldbuilder's Guide to Languages, The Beginner's Guide to Conlangs, and The Grammar-hater's Guide to Conlangishery, which will be something of an intersection between the two topics. To break both down into more workable pieces, the meat of November will be a series of exercises on both topics, and then we'll launch into the traditional Lexember, and share words with each other as we go along!

I hope you're all as excited about this as I am, and look forward to seeing the beautiful, unique languages you'll share.

BUT WAIT. THERE'S MORE.

Every stage along the way will include a trophy as prize! Do 5 "Languages in Worldbuilding" exercises, and you'll get a lovely Spiderlingual trophy. Do 5 "Making your own conlang" exercises, and you'll get the cute Conlark trophy. And Lexember proper will have a Lexoppotomas for 20 words, and the Lexolotl for all 31 words. The Spiderlingual and Conlark trophies will be available going forward, just post in here and I'll give it to you, but the Lexicon trophies will only be available for whatever you accomplish during the month of December! Do as much as you want or can, the goal here is to have fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are you all planning for Lexember? Do you have a conlang already made? Do you have an idea for one you wanted to work on? Or did you just want to think of words for your world? I'm planning to work on a language we designed for the "fae" of a world I'm working on with @rissa! It has four dialects, a gorgeous nature-themed script, and I've hardly been able to get anything else down about it, haha. It has some WILD non-English sounds that I'm really excited about, and if anyone else is interested, I can list them here later!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEXEMBER OFFICIALLY BEGINS TOMORROW.

Please join me in this thread to show off the new words in your constructed language! (in announcement post, only include up to here, with a link to the thread)

Making new words can involve a lot of different things. Of course, there's the basic word - case - definition version, which you are super free to do, as you want to enjoy yourself, and it's perfect if you're short on time, but if you'd like you can also include conjugations, idioms, example sentences the word might fit into, cultural implications associated with the word, etymology, alternative definitions, or alternative words or pronunciations between dialects. I'm sure more experienced conlangers would be able to give other ideas, but those are just some suggestions for other things you could add to make Lexember more fun or detailed for you.

Here are some tips for Lexember, as well as a generator to get you started if you don't already have a conlang you're working on!

While you're definitely free to just make whatever words suit you, I'm including general themes for each week to help prompt ideas.
Theme 1 - Vision
Theme 2 - Nature
Theme 3 - Conflict
Theme 4 - Cold

Feel free to post your new words in here as often as you'd like, or make your own Showcasing thread. You're also allowed to discuss how Lexember is going for you in here!

Just one final reminder: THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN! If you're having a hard time thinking of words that feel culturally unique or relevant, just make whatever words come to you based on how they sound to you. It does not need to be that deep, bro.

Attachments

• 1f409 edit icon.png
    1f409 edit icon.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Language in Worldbuilding

It's commonly accepted that our man JRR to the Tolkien was the father of not just modern fantasy, but specifically a little thing we like to call worldbuilding. Most people know that he developed several languages for the different peoples of his world, but before an author, Tolkien was a professional studier of how languages relate to history and culture, who began inventing languages since he was literally a kid (he started Elvish when he was 18, and there are suggestions he'd invented others well before he was 13). Tolkien considered his languages inextricable from his world if not the motivation for his worldbuilding in the first place, yet language is one of the least considered elements of most modern worldbuilding.

There is a good reason for this. Brandon Sanderson says at one point in his lectures on creative writing that "every genre has a worldbuilding points limit like a Warhammer army, and usually languages are so far down the priority tree for your story that you've run out of points you can use by the time you think languages so most authors ignore them." And he is not wrong. Detailed worldbuilding is a huge endeavor, and language in particular is one of those things that most of your audience is going to accept your logic on. Have a world where everybody speaks the same language in exactly the same way despite being oceans away and sometimes even of entirely different species? Nobody's gonna blink. But just thinking about the languages in your world is a beautiful, and honestly simple way to add depth to your world and make it feel more alive.

In this guide, I'm going to explain 4 ways in which you can weave linguistic thought into your worldbuilding without ever attempting to make a language of your own.

Language and Geography

A lot of worldbuilders don't realize that language is alive, in a way, and it evolves just as species do. It changes gradually, but constantly, and given enough time, that change can become significant. Perhaps the simplest and most obvious thing to consider in thinking about a world with multiple languages is ease of communication. Just as you're not going to put a trade city in the middle of an impassable mountain, people on either side of an impassable mountain are more likely to be very isolated from each other, and their languages are bound to be very different from one another, even if they originally shared the same ancestor. This obviously changes if you've got a world with magic that allows people to pass the mountain easily. The key point here is, again, how easy it is to communicate, so think about how your magic and technology impacts the geographical relationship. Don't forget that distance is its own kind of geographical barrier unless you've got some sort of easily accessible teleportation that's been around for thousands of years.

Just as technology can overcome geographical barriers, consider non-geographical barriers to communication. A country's isolation policy would encourage its culture and language to diverge from its surroundings, as would a 100-year-long magical barrier that limits people coming and going. Even if the languages of surrounding areas used to be quite similar to a country now isolated, you should expect that at the very least phrases and pronunciations would have changed, as well as how certain words are defined.

Languages also heavily influence one another when they come into contact. An island with good naval communication with a nearby mainland, for instance, will often take strong influences from the language of the mainland. If your PoV character is a native of the island, maybe the overall language of the mainland is very different and difficult to learn, but they recognize certain words from a mainlander. Trade will also facilitate a lot of language exchange, especially as trade REQUIRES communication to occur. If peoples with two, entirely different languages are forced to communicate, it's not uncommon for an extremely simplified mashing of the two languages called a pidgin to occur. Given enough time, children can take on the pidgin as their native language, and it can develop into a full language of its own, known as a creole.

Language and Class

Language has always had a relationship with class and image. Foreign languages are often symbols particularly of wealth, intelligence, or both. In the Georgian era in Britain, men of the gentry were required to learn French, German, Italian, Latin, and Greek. High class women were also meant to know the contemporary languages (French, German, and Italian) as a symbol of sophistication, but were generally not supposed to learn Latin or Greek, as this indicated a woman with too much education. Speaking multiple languages is still something of a status symbol, as it's difficult to acquire more than two languages to proficiency unless you have the money for courses, time to dedicate to learning, exposure to other countries through travel, or have really high inherent intelligence. Being unable to comfortably speak the language of your surrounding, in turn, is punished severely. Native English speakers in America often look down on immigrants who speak broken English as stupid or lesser, as though these people don't already have their own native language they're perfectly fluent and intelligible in. Perhaps being able to speak a lot of languages in your world is a mark that you're either extremely wealthy or a high level magician, because being able to travel far is only really conducted through difficult magic. Or maybe only royalty learn a certain foreign language because it is considered especially difficult to learn. Do translators and interpreters have special status in your country? They certainly don't have to, but maybe in your fictional country the lines of access to education and political necessity intersect.

Status markers can also develop WITHIN a language. Regional accents are not unique to English, and it can actually be quite common in other languages as well for a certain accent to be labeled as the "standard" or even the most proper or sophisticated. Other accents often end up being treated as unsophisticated, haughty, or embarrassing in some way, and many speakers will learn to hide their accent outside of their home region. High use of slang (informal, largely colloquial speech) among certain communities can have a similar effect, and affect the community's reputation, usually exclusively in the "barbarian" direction. As I've mentioned before, language evolves as time passes and the people who speak it change. A singular "correct" version of any widely spoken language simply doesn't exist. So when someone complains that you're using the phrase "when worst comes to worse" or "Houston, we've had a problem" wrong, they are participating in a form of gatekeeping we've almost all been subconsciously taught to do in the name of "correctness."

This is, in fact, also a subtle way to use language to ENFORCE class. Insisting that certain dialects of language or accents indicate that the NATIVE speakers who use that dialect or accent are somehow less intelligent or sophisticated is a mild way to encourage bias and dehumanization of those people, make it difficult to rise up the social ladder, and even affect access to highly skilled jobs (whether directly or education) or decent clientele, thus impacting financial prospects. Speakers of African American Vernacular English, which is a linguistically recognized native variant of English today, have been treated as less credible witnesses in legal cases, and may struggle with the English aptitude tests that lead into higher education. My Fair Lady, while a fictional account, illustrates well how the ability to conform to a "better" accent opens doors that would otherwise be unavailable to someone of Eliza's background. The "official" or "formal" language a country or region has is typically the most socially acceptable form of the language, even if it's not the form a majority of the population necessarily speaks. Inability to comfortably speak this form of the language may even make it difficult to deal with the formal government in place. And this is just the subconscious ways language impacts class.

Language can also actively be used to enforce class. It's incredibly common for teaching another language to be a part of the colonization process, which can even extend to active attempts to eradicate the indigenous language. The indigenous language can sometimes be seen as savage, and replacing their native language with a more "civilized" language can actually be seen as a charitable act to improve their lives. This can manifest in not just social difficulties navigating with the indigenous language, but also direct prohibitions to speak it, or an intentional removal of access to essential things in the indigenous language, such as street and location names being changed to something in the colonizing power's language. Note that even as this happens, the indigenous language will likely start to influence the colonizing power's language, though in smaller ways than if the two languages collide on equal terms.

Particularly the ability to write and read has strongly been tied to access to education, as it's much more difficult to pick up without direction from one's surroundings, and actually has few correct forms of spelling. In turn, access to education has always been tied to wealth. The Académie Française is an official part of the French government one of whose responsibilities include the regulation of the French spelling. Many of the reforms have been made ostensibly to make French writing more accessible, but the constant changes arguably serve the opposite function, making reading and writing unusually inconsistent, and therefore reinforcing the barrier to learning it.

The Korean writing system is one of my all-time favorite examples of class's relationship to writing. The shortest version I can think of is that a very long time ago, Korean was written exclusively in Chinese characters. Chinese is one of the most difficult languages to learn reading and writing for, because it's basically the only language where every character has a different meaning, and aristocrats were the only ones with the time and resources to learn. So, one of the kings decided to develop a phonetic script for Korean so that peasants would be able to read and write (called Hangul). One of its primary functions was to break down the current giant wall of class barrier, by allowing peasants a way to petition the government and protest unfair treatment, but it also gained its own meaning and connotation. At the time, the only way to get positions in government was to pass a test not only held in written Chinese, but largely based on Chinese writings, which was an extremely easy way to make sure no non-aristocrats ever even got close. Once it started to catch on, Hangul was largely looked down upon by most aristocrats as the language of peasants, but it was really prolifically taken up by women and illegitimate sons of aristocrats - people with minimal rights, but high education. It was never fully accepted until Japanese occupation almost 500 years later, but because of its history, it symbolically became the written language of protest, particularly against systemic oppression.

Language, History, and Culture

Language is impacted by the history of those who speak it. Ever heard the phrase "Close but no cigar?" I'd heard it for years without ever thinking about why in the hell we bring cigars into it. The phrase is specifically American because it originates from the 20th century when carnivals would give out cigars as prizes. Your language evolves from your country's history, and will hold pieces of the past in it that even the native speakers might not know or use for its intended purpose (becoming what a biologist like me would call "vestigial"). Chinese uses pithy, 4-character idioms to represent certain morals, one of which is "point [at a] deer, call [it a] horse." The phrase means essentially "to deliberately misrepresent something for ulterior motives," but it harkens back to a historical minister who brought a deer into court one day and called it a horse. He used it as a test of loyalty, weeding out anyone who insisted it was actually a deer. This is also likely the reason that "baka" (the word for "fool") in Japanese is notated with the Chinese characters for deer and horse, despite the fact that the original Chinese meaning involves malicious intent, not stupidity.

Sayings or word usage may also reference common folklore or stories in your culture. A similar Chinese idiom translates to "old man [at the] frontier loses [his] horse." Its more proper meaning is something along the lines of "you never know when something will be a blessing or a curse." It comes from a parable about an old man living at the border whose horse runs away to barbarian territory. Then his horse came back with a second horse. The man's son loved the second horse and rode it often, then fell off and broke his leg, but when the barbarians invaded next year, all the men geared up to go fight and almost all of them died, but the son stayed alive because his broken leg didn't allow him to go. The point being good fortune turned into bad fortune and vice versa. I'm sure this all sounds mystical and cool, but what do you think we're doing when we say someone "cried wolf."

Words themselves can have their own history that affects their usage and interpretation. My husband's grandmother, who speaks relatively little English, recently used the N word because she thought he was getting darker. I'm quite certain she didn't mean to even be insulting to him in using it. But that word, along with all the other racial slurs, are taboo to say because of the way these words were historically used to dehumanize, belittle, and even insult the people they were used to describe. To my husband's grandmother, that word most likely has no such connotation, because she most likely doesn't know any of the history of its use. Similarly, when I was in high school I used "jap" as a shorthand for Japanese when discussing my language class until someone told me about how it was used as a slur in WWII. For a less heavy example, four is an unlucky number in Chinese just because it sounds similar to the word for death.

Language and Cultural Identity

Speakers of the same language can also have different uses and interpretations of language based on their own history and culture. The recent uproar over one of Jamie Foxx's posts essentially saying "they killed Jesus, what would they do to you" also shows how different subgroups who speak the same language can also have different uses and interpretations of the same words and phrases. From what I've read on the subject, the black American Christian community don't consider the Jews at fault for Jesus' execution, and "they" is meant to be a more generalized term, in this case for fake friends. Whereas for Jews, this phrase or things similar to it is among the many things used to justify their persecution throughout history. Jamie Foxx was likely not even thinking about Jews when he posted that, but it still elicited a perfectly valid trauma response for a community that the same phrase meant something entirely different for. Recall that languages, particularly widely spoken languages in your world, do not themselves define a single culture. Multiple different cultures can speak the same language, and that will change their particular version of it.

Don't feel restricted by country lines. The concept of countries is a relatively modern one, and even within them today, people speak a range of languages, or at the very least dialects of their language. Communities at the borders between two countries may speak and understand both languages, or even the opposite language from that of their designated country. They may even consider themselves members of the other country, regardless of where the borders are officially drawn. Countries may also include unique embedded cultures. Whether it be an immigrant culture or an indigenous peoples around which the rest of the country developed, especially persecuted and extremely insulated cultures may even have their own, entirely separate language. The Romani have their own language, which they broadly share, despite communities having settled in different countries.

Language itself is often a marker of a cultural identity. The Korean alphabet actually has a holiday celebrating it, because - despite its complicated history - during Japanese occupation, having their own distinct script was a marker of their unique culture. A main facet of Japanese occupation of Korea right before and around WWII was a push for assimilation. Japan wanted Korea to submit fully to being an extension of Japan. While they initially supported the education of Korean literature, eventually even speaking in Korean was outlawed in the interest of assimilation. The day celebrating the Korean alphabet was established in the hopes of resisting the Japanization of Korea, and the attitude towards the alphabet entirely changed as it became an unofficial part of the "Koreanness" the Japanese people could not take away from them.

Language and Personality

One of the most interesting reasons to think about languages in your worldbuilding is that it can affect how characters from different areas relate to each other. Of course there's the obvious "do they need an interpreter" and "what words do they recognize" but it extends beyond that. We all have specific ways of using language that reveal our character and beliefs, which is why everyone loves writing dialogue. It's long been a pet peeve of mine, for instance, when people use "racist" as just a dogwhistle slur, because it implies that racism is a matter of individual bias and malice. Or one youtube review of Fifty Shades I enjoy watching notes that Christian Grey characterizes Ana leaving him as "running" which gives a perfectly rational decision to leave a relationship that's bad for you a negative connotation.

But how we interact with FOREIGN languages can reveal things about us, too. In one of the novels I'm working on, my main character (a girl named Veralisse) meets a foreign princess who has come to stay with them for a bit. She speaks Veralisse's home language fluently, but pronounces her name strangely, and although I didn't realize it at the time, this highlights Veralisse's sense of discomfort with the situation; it places emphasis on how the introduction of this polished, intelligent foreign princess who people keep gossiping might end up with the crown prince (Veralisse's fiance) threatens the status quo for her. It's such a little thing, but it adds to the emotional landscape of the scene without my even originally intending it to.

There is a well-supported theory that language subtly affects how we think. My dad speaks fluent English and it has been his primary spoken language for four decades, but he still becomes way more expressive and animated in Korean. My sister knew a girl who was bilingual, with English and Spanish, and she once told me that this friend of hers would add "pero" (the Spanish "but") at the end of sentences as kind of an "uhm" noise. One of my colleagues is also bilingual with the same languages, and she's great and highly intelligent, but she struggles with formal writing in English. Do you have any bilingual characters in your fictional setting? If not, why not? If you do, that's going to color their interaction with the main language around them. We as human beings tend to see people who speak a different language as particularly inaccessible, strange, and foreign, so it's natural that your main character feel out of place when interacting with someone exclusively speaking a language they don't understand. However, it's important when writing from the perspective of that foreign character, that you remember that the language is normal to them, and they are also normal people. To them, your main character is the foreigner. Do not exotify them. To bilingual characters, neither language is super foreign to them, so treating one language they speak natively as particularly exotic would be rather odd.

Disclaimer: note when I refer to Chinese here, my understanding comes largely from Mandarin. Some things I'm talking about ALSO apply to Cantonese, which is why I didn't specify just Mandarin, but not necessarily all of it will apply to other Chinese languages. Also just to be clear, I reference East Asian languages a lot because I'm most familiar with them, as a Korean who lived in China as a child, and then attempted to learn Japanese as a stepping stone for the language my grandparents speak. I do not have Asian fetish. T-T

Last edited:
Conlang Guide

What is a conlang?

A constructed language (conlang for short) is a consciously created language, as opposed to a language developed naturally (also known as a natlang). There's a lot of complicated nuance in what it means to be a conlang, but very briefly, there are three basic categories of conlang: engineered, auxlang, and artlang. An engineered language exists basically as an experiment in some form of logic, philosophy, or linguistics. An auxlang (international auxiliary language) is used to facilitate international communication, so it'd be something like Esperanto. But it's really artlangs (artistic language) that I'm going to be focusing on today.

Artlangs are created "for aesthetic pleasure or humorous effect" (as defined by wikipedia), and include languages constructed for worlds! Most of us worldbuilders will make conlangs that are meant to be natlangs in a fictional world, but you could also make a language for no particular reason and the term would still apply. My first conlang (which still looks and sounds horrible, lol) was actually an artlang meant to be an auxlang in universe in a fictional world.

Conlangs are distinct from cyphers, codes, and sometimes even the scattered fake words you find in a story, because they are able to express meaning in their own way, separate from any existing language. They can, of course, be based upon, similar to, or even derived from natural languages, but not in any way a one to one direct comparison. They typically have their own grammar, syllabic structure, phraseology, and sounds.

Step one in making a conlang

Most hard and fast "rules" for conlanging or worldbuilding or creative writing in general are pretty bullshit, in my opinion, but for a conlang, the very first thing you always have to do is pick a set of sounds. There's kind of no working your way around it. You might think, "so 28 sounds like the 28 letters we have in English, right?" Because that's what I thought in my first one, lol, but there are actually 44 sounds in English, and there are essentially an unlimited amount of possible sounds you could use for your language that do not exist in English if you include tones, accents, and other noises like tooth gnashing or whistles or clicks. The most common ones found in our natural languages are included and represented in the International Phonetic Alphabet, and I would recommend you stick to those that you can pronounce (even if it's not perfectly easy at first) for your first couple conlangs.

Particularly, I love this link IPA Chart, which gives you audio clips of each IPA symbol, as me trying to explain them all to you would be... insane.

What I would suggest is listen for lots of different kinds of sounds! Find languages that sound really different from yours. Listen to youtube videos of people speaking in foreign languages or conlangs and try to identify them in the IPA chart. Listen to the IPA sounds in different contexts (the wikipedia sound clips and the link I sent above sometimes sound very different for the same symbols). Consider modifications to sounds you're familiar with. Did you know there are like, four different sounds people still refer to as "r"? The English "r" is so unusual in languages that there's basically nothing that sounds more English. It's a lot more common to hear an "r" that's kind of tapped, somewhere between an "l" and a "d." And then of course there's the rolled "r," and the French "r" which sounds pretty similar to a letter in Arabic! Or in Korean, letters aren't fully pronounced at the end stop of a syllable (if there's no vowel immediately after it), so instead of saying "pe-tuh" the way we do with "pet," they'd just end it with the tongue in the "t" position. Na'vi features somewhat rarer "aspirated" consonants, so that "k" comes with a really hard popping noise when pronounced. What sounds specifically make a language feel different from yours? I noticed recently that Irish accents have this weird soft t, so the word for "right" for me (as an American) either ends on no sound, or a hard t sound, but watch a clip of someone saying it in "The Banshees of Inisherin" and it has a soft, breathy quality to it. I have yet to figure out if that sound is even in the IPA, but you bet your butt it's showing up in one of my conlangs.

Also try to limit the number of sounds you use in your language. We, as primarily English speakers, are used to having a wide range of sounds available to us, but 44 is honestly on the high end for distinct sounds in a language. Take away sounds you think of as inherent to speaking, and see how it changes the way the language sounds.

Much ado about syntax

Once you've got your sounds, you can start constructing words and creating your grammar. I'm starting with grammar here, because I usually find my grammar informs how I want to make my words, but the two will go somewhat hand-in-hand. This won't be a grammar deep-dive, but should have enough information to get you started with simple sentences and ideas.

To keep this as simple as possible, you got your word order, your noun modifiers, your verb modifiers, your relationship indicators, and how those agree.

Word order is basically the order in which you assemble your subject, verb, and object. Most simply put, the verb is the action word, the subject is the person or thing DOING the action, and the object is the person or thing RECEIVING the action. English uses subject, verb, object order such as "Polly likes peanuts." Polly is the subject, peanuts is the object. You can put these in any order, but it's useful to know that it is extremely rare for the object to come before the subject. The most common word order in the world is actually SOV, where the verb goes last, so that would be "Polly peanuts likes." While almost all languages have a typical word order, in some languages word order is flexible. "Polly peanuts likes" makes no sense in English, because there's no way to figure out who "likes" what since English word order is fixed. But a language like Japanese clearly notates which word is which, so it's okay to switch it up a bit. If your language essentially says "Polly(subj) peanuts(obj) likes," you could also say "peanuts(obj) Polly(subj) likes," and a reader would still understand the sentence's meaning, so it matters less. Note that languages with flexible word order often also don't need to use pronouns as prolifically. In order to say "I like you" for instance, I need to include the "I" and the "you" because English is a language with strict word order and the verb "like" needs both the person doing the liking and the person being liked, whereas Japanese manga frequently make the joke of someone misinterpreting "sukida" because that's literally just the verb "like." The "I" and the "you" are implied and unnecessary.

There are three simple ways to modify nouns. The first is with adjectives. Does anything mark your adjectives (like "ly") and do you put them before or after your noun? The second is with number. In English we tack an "s" onto most nouns to indicate any plural, while Chinese doesn't indicate plurals on a noun at all, while yet others only modify the noun for a specific number. Modern Hebrew will tack a "áyim" onto the end of time words specifically for "two." "Yom" is day, for instance, while "yomáyim" is two days. Plurals can be indicated with prefixes as well, they do not need to be restricted to suffixes. Finally, you can add noun classes to your language! If you've ever come across a language with genders, like French, grammatical gender is a form of noun class. French marks every noun as either feminine or masculine, whether it makes logical sense or not (the word for cat is always masculine, for instance). Typically feminine nouns finish on an "e" while masculine nouns end with a consonant, but certain words can be either depending on the circumstance. "Serveur" and "serveuse" for instance, both mean "waiter," but the first is only for male waiters, and the second for female waiters. You might say, "wait! We have a separate demarcation for female waiters, that's waitress" and you'd be right. But our use of "ess" to denote females is considered a leftover feature of languages with gender. Grammatical gender is the most common type of noun class, but this can really be anything you want and with any rules for how they're noted and which are which. Some languages use animate vs inanimate as their classification, others strong vs weak or countable vs uncountable, and I've even heard of a conlang that uses "moon and sun" as their classes.

As with adjectives, consider what marks your adverbs and whether they're placed before or after the verb. The main other way to modify verbs is with tenses, which anchor the verbs in time, and moods, which give the verb an attitude of some kind. Once again, Chinese does not use tenses at all, but English has past (liked), present (like), future (will like), ongoing present (is/am liking), and so on and so forth. English actually provides a good example of how tense can be indicated by modifying the verb directly or with a secondary word (liked versus will like). Moods probably sound intense and scary, but I mention them because they're fun AND WE ARE ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH THEM. There's a whole bunch of different types of moods out there, and frankly I don't understand all of them, but when your mother says, "CLEAN YOUR ROOM" she's using the "imperative mood," using the verb "clean" as a command. English imperatives don't change the actual form of the verb, so for a better example, we indicate the "conditional mood" with "would." "If you'd just do this, I WOULD help you." Similarly, we indicate the "hypothetical mood" with "could." "I COULD have fallen to my death." Just like with tenses, you can use separate words OR direct verb modifiers to indicate moods. Japanese directly changes its verbs for various moods. The imperative of the (informal) verb "taberu" is "tabero" for instance, and the formal version "tabemasu" can be changed to "taberudeshou" in what they call a "potential mood" to indicate that something is likely, but not necessarily true.

When I say "relationship indicator" I just mean things that indicate a relationship between other words. "In" "on" "under" "after" "towards" "of" "for" "from" "throughout" "until" "with" and "ago" are all words that note some kind of relationship. When you say "the paper is on the table" you indicate a specifical physical relationship between the paper and the table, and "I ate AFTER exercising" indicates a specific temporal relationship between the actions of eating and exercising. I'm also putting possessives here, because it's a sort of relationship, in my opinion, and once again, recall that any of these relationships can be indicated with separate words or direct modifications. "Kit's plushy" involves a possessive marker on "Kit" to indicate who the plushy belongs to, but Japanese and Chinese only use separate short words to indicate possession ("no" and "de" respectively, "my dog" is "watashi(me) no inu(dog)" in Japanese, and "wo(me) de gou(dog)" in Chinese). Where you PUT the relational markers is not always going to be exactly the same as in English. For instance, we say "I talk ABOUT that" whereas Japanese does the opposite "I thisthing NITSUITE talk" with "nitsuite" being the "about" word, and the thing talked about going first.

I put case agreement last because it combines many of the previous elements, but its concept is very simple. With every classification and modification, there comes the option to make things match each other, basically. We do this a little in English. "I am" and "we are" possess the same tense and mood and verb, but the verb changes form to match the plurality of the subject. "I" is singular, and its "to be" verb is "am." This changes to "are" with "we" because "we" is plural. In French, "a man" is "un homme" while "a woman" is "une femme." In this case, "un" matches the gender of the noun it's attached to. In one of my conlangs, the subject of a sentence is given a "d" at the end of the word, and every adjective attached to the subject is given the same ending, but the verbs aren't affected by the nouns in any way. The extent to which things agree is entirely up to you.

Word construction

When you make words, for the most part you can go for however you want them to sound, but it can be helpful to keep a few things in mind.

Firstly, in terms of sounds, do you have any rules in mind? It's fine if you don't, but English definitely does, so it'll color how you construct your words if you're not careful. In English, "ng" can't be used to start a word, for instance. Neither can "ts" (think "rights"). One thing I like to do is make it so that if the letters "n" and "g" are next to each other, they're still pronounced very separately, for instance. So in English, "ingot" is really "ing-git." The n merges with the g to form a "ng" sound, whereas in one of my languages, it'd sound more like "in-git." Similarly, English requires "tp" to sound very separately so "cut-purse" simply represents the "t" sound by cutting off the vowel before the p (a similar effect occurs with padparasha), but the indigenous language Nuxalk contains a word that starts with the sound "tpya," so the t explodes directly into the p. Some languages don't require syllables to have a vowel sound, so a combination of consonants like "sqw" or "kst" can stop suddenly and be considered its own syllable.

Secondly, think of more complex ideas as combinations of smaller words and ideas. I've just used a ton of adjectives in the previous paragraph "definitely" "separately" "similarly" and these ones all share the suffix "ly" to indicate that they have been turned into adjectives. "Helpful" and "careful" can be broken down into respectively "help" and "care" "full." Even the word "explode" combines the prefix "ex" meaning "out" with "plaudere" from Latin meaning "to clap." Not a fan of lots of suffixes and prefixes? Large portions of more complex Chinese words are constructed like "birthday" - "birth" "day" combined. And in Japanese the word for "free" (financially) is "無料" which literally means "no fee." Of course there will be some ideas that need their own word and sound, but there are a lot you can make by smushing multiple concepts together into the same word.

Thirdly, break down words into their separate concepts, and mix and match them. Rather than making words by combining concepts, as I mentioned above, what I mean here is to recognize that in basically every language, a lot of words are doing double duty. The questions "how did it go?" and "where did you go?" both use the verb "go" for instance, but in the first case, it indicates a state of being, whereas in the second, it indicates the physical action of travel. Or "have" normally means to possess something, but when you say "I have to" it has nothing to do with possession, and instead indicates that you must. Sometimes these words are straight homonyms ("bat" the stick you swing at a ball vs "bat" the animal), but a lot of times words take on additional adjacent meanings without our even thinking about it. Consider these separate concepts and whether they have separate words in your language. In the reverse, try to think of words you normally look at separately and combine them into one. The Japanese word "笑う" is used for both smiling and laughing, and is the only proper verb that can be used for either action (though you can say someone "let out a smiling face" to specifically indicate someone smiled and didn't laugh).

And lastly, think about words and especially phrases, in their cultural contexts. Words do not exist in a vacuum. Almost all languages have varying levels of formality, for instance, but Korean - a language developed in a culture where heirarchical status is really important - has separate pronouns and even sometimes separate verbs depending on who you're speaking to or about. "I" or "me" is "저" when you're speaking to someone you don't know well or who is distinctly higher than you in some way (grandparent, boss), because this is the humble form. Whereas it's "나" among friends or like... younger siblings, lol. And the verb "to sleep" is "주무시다" when you are referring to someone higher than you DOING the action, but "자다" for everyone else. You tell your grandparents to "sleep well" with the first version, but tell your boss or buddies that you are "going to sleep" with the second.

Swear words will depend strongly on what your culture considers taboo and how the word is perceived. "God" and "damn" were very significant swear words in English back when Christianity was taken very seriously by English speakers as a whole, while "cunt" was widely used in medical documents in the Middle ages. Legs were considered so private in the Victorian era that using the word "leg" itself was considered swearing, and the word "occupant" in the 1600s was a euphemism for prostitute, because people had started to use "occupy" to exclusively refer to having sex. If animals are considered unclean or debased, they might also feature widely in curse words in your language. My impression is that a lot of swear words tend to revolve around animals, religion, or the physical body, but they can also refer to certain ailments or disabilities such as "retard."

As I said in my "Language in Worldbuilding" guide, try not to think of the speakers of your conlang as deeply foreign and exotic to you. I don't know if this is a general trend, or just something I started with and kicked because it's gross and fetishy, but there can sometimes be a tendency to think of your conlang speakers as especially deep compared to us. There's this moment I think is hilarious in Avatar (the blue one) where the protagonist is being taught the Na'vi language, and his colleague tells him the greeting is "I see you" not just a physical seeing, but as in "I see into you" a sort of "I see your essence." Whereas in every actual language on this earth I know of, greetings are way more basic and practical. The English "hello" is derived from noises meant to call attention to oneself "HEY THERE" basically. In Chinese the classic "nihao" is literally "you good?" (though obviously with a less flippant connotation). Korean "annyeoung" actually means "to be well or at peace" and the entire phrase in its literal meaning is "please do well." Among friends, you don't even bother with that, you just ask "밥 먹었어?" which literally translates to "you eaten rice/a meal yet?" When you're developing a conlang, it's obviously okay if you want to do this sort of thing as a way of indicating how deeply spiritual your forest elves are, or whatever, but I personally find something really meaningful about looking at your conlang as if it contains the essence of actual real life human beings. There are cultural differences among different peoples, but there's a universality to what matters to us: health, security, power, personal identity, the people we love, having beliefs about meaning and purpose, and how grounded our lives are in those things, so make your languages grounded, too.

Testing, testing, one, two, three

This may perhaps sound obvious, but I find I need to remind myself of it frequently: unless you are a legit linguist who knows what you're doing (buddy, why are you reading this? Also will you please take me under your wing as your protégé?) I find that the best way to learn and develop your own language is to keep working with it. In particular I'd suggest trying to translate things into it, or write directly in your new language. The more complex ideas you try to portray, the more you'll notice gaps in how your language functions, and how you want to fill them.

If you want to go further into making a conlang, I'd definitely recommend the youtube playlist How to Make a Language by Biblaridion. He goes through each stage with an example language. I find that he has the curse of knowledge, and is a tad hard to follow with all his linguistic terminology, and also that he focuses very hard on constructing a language MEANT to be a hardcore natlang that other linguists will accept as such. He goes very deep into how to make your language evolve for instance, and I don't think that's really necessary for most conlangers at least at the level where we just want to have fun (like me), and he insists that writing system development must go last, when I usually start with a script after I've chosen my sounds, because I for some reason work better backwards than forwards, LOL, but it's still a great resource, even for beginners. There are so many complicated facets to language, and I haven't even begun to discuss them all. I debated adding in a mention of passive voice, intransitive vs transitive verbs, and don't get me started on ergative-absolutive vs nominative-accusative languages, but with all this, the level of detail you go into is up to you! The best thing you can do with any language is have a good time with it.

A note on language scripts

"Script" here refers to the glyphs used to write/represent meaning or sound in your language. I think it's fair to say most conlangers start out with their earliest languages thinking more about replacing the letters to a language they're already familiar with. My first ever exposure to language showing up in a story was in Artemis Fowl. I was the nerd who figured out what letter each symbol represented, from the excerpt in the first book, and then translated the bits at the bottom of each book following that. As a result, the first few times I tackled making a language, it was largely cyphers just like that. It can be really tempting to just start drawing symbols and assigning them different sounds. This is perfectly valid, goodness knows I've done the same! But it's probably good to know what types of writing systems are out there, and other things you can consider when you make a script.

Proper linguists would probably shoot me for this, but I find the easiest classification to understand is as follows:
1. Logogram: Each symbol represents an idea. Logograms are also referred to as logosyllabaries, because most of the time, each symbol also represents one syllable. Chinese is basically the last surviving logosyllabary. For example, the symbol 天 refers to the sky (among other sky-ish things), but also represents the sound tian. When a speaker sees the character, both the sound and the meaning are evoked. None of the following classifications include an inherent meaning to their symbols, instead all representing sound in some way.
2. Syllabary: Each symbol represents a single full syllable. Japanese か sounds like "ka" for instance. This is why haikus work in Japanese without the type of ambiguity that occurs when people try to write them in English. Each syllable is well-defined and represented with a single symbol.
3. Alphabet: Each symbol represents either a consonant or a vowel separately and with what they call "equal weight." English is an easy example. The letter e (a symbol representing a vowel) is given the same amount of space and emphasis in writing as n (a symbol representing a consonant).
4. Abugida: Each symbol represents a consonant with one vowel implied, UNLESS something is added on to indicate the vowel. Wikipedia cites the Indian Devanagari as the most well-known example, but my bet is that most people (myself included) aren't familiar with it. Basically, प represents the syllable "pa." To make it represent a syllable with any other vowel sound, something has to modify the base letter, like पि (pi) and पे (pe). All other consonants follow suit - base letter represents the consonant + "a" and modifications indicate other vowels replace the "a."
5. Abjad: Each symbol represents a single consonant. Vowel markers (whether full sized or just modifiers of the consonants) do not exist or are almost completely optional, and have to be inferred. Most modern abjads are considered impure because they have some vowel markers. Arabic is the classic example and it has both optional vowel modifiers and one vowel sound that's written as a consonant. (In fact, the word abjad itself comes from the first four letters in the Arabic "alphabet" aleph, bet, gimel, and dalet.)

The categories above are helpful to think about, but you definitely shouldn't feel restricted by them. English technically classifies as an alphabet, but it's not as though it's actually possible to correctly identify the sounds associated with a word purely through the written text. Of course there's Japanese which uses a combination of two separate syllabaries and a logogram, and Korean's writing system is what I'd call an alphabet, but it's apparently messed up enough that some linguist added the classification "featural" to describe it.

You also want to decide reading order as you're developing your script. English uses left-right top-bottom reading order, where you read on the horizontal line from the left to the right, and then down. Japanese can be written that way, but is also commonly written top-bottom right-left, where you read the rightmost column top to bottom FIRST, and then begin moving column by column to the left. You can mix and match that a bit or, if you're feeling really spicy, you can use something called boustrophedon, where you read the lines in rows, but each row alternates direction. Though rare, some very very old writing systems were discovered that go in a spiral, either starting from a central point and going in a circle around the start, or the opposite way, starting on the outside and writing in a circle inwards. The writing direction you choose will inform what your script looks like. The old Mongolian script can only be written vertically, for instance, while Arabic can only be written horizontally, both because they connect their words through some sort of baseline. Latin and Cyrillic probably can be written either way, but are difficult to read vertically, while the East Asian languages contain their sounds well enough in square-ish sized boxes that it's easy to write and read them any direction you like so long as it's square in nature.

If your conlang is meant to be a natlang, usually it evolves from something simpler which in turn usually came from more generalized pictographs, so sometimes it can be fun to think about what that proto-writing looked like and how long it's been around to change into is current form. What did your ancient people have available to write on and how does that affect your writing system now? What things got preserved and why?

It's also good to think about how words and sentences are separated. What sort of punctuation does your language use? Sentence markers are probably the most important and common, but question markers, quotations, and hesitation markers like a comma are also found in plenty of languages. Are words spaced in your language? In English, we separate every single word with a space, but Korean puts spaces after short phrases, and Japanese doesn't use any kind of spaces at all. Do your letters have different forms? The only real example of this I can think of is letter case (uppercase, lowercase). If so, what is it used to denote? Does it have meaning at all? I personally never put letter case in my conlangs, but mostly because I never figured out what good they were even in English. Does your script have a decorative or cursive version? Those can also be nice to add, though I intentionally try to develop most of them with the assumption that the one I'm working on is computer standard perfect.

There is no possible type of script you can think of that the world hasn't developed already, so my number one piece of advice for you when developing a script is to relax and have fun. Be creative and focus on enjoying yourself. The questions above are how I develop my script in a deeper way, because that's how I enjoy doing it, but if you're all vibes and pretties, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Last edited:
Prompts and Challenges List?
- Think of a swear word in your language
- What is one major event that has affected languages in your world?
............. lol, currently got none

Extra thought/example on how even similar or derived languages don't translate perfectly: Japanese, Korean, & Chinese share base sounds for many words, but not only define some of them differently (baka from above being a good example), but also have some that are VERY different. (That horse is my horse. - also being a challenge in translation. No singular word for "surprised me" in two of the languages, (Japanese has the singular verb odorokimasu, but Chinese you say xiatiaole(?) (scared jumped) and Korean you say ggamjjangnollasseo (onomatopoeia for jump in surprise + a "made me"))

Random language resources for now:
Noun Town

Last edited:
Apologies for the complete wordsplosions above. Everything is first-draft-done, and I'd love some thoughts. Feel free to leave them here. My expectation is that the wordsplurting will have to be almost completely rewritten, so I'd like some BROAD feedback on what you liked/found useful, and what you'd want to see in the final version (I am also considering instead making a hyperabridged version and putting the full version in spoilers for if people WANT to read, but I haven't decided yet).

Please do not leave advice along the lines of "use less examples, be more clear, to the point, and concise, and frame more of it as actual advice instead of historical ramblings" because that bit I'm already well aware of, but feel free to leave criticisms on bits of writing or specific examples you thought were especially confusing.

Just as an extra bonus for dedicated conlangers here, if anyone completes 31 words during December (I'm not gonna gatekeep the once a day thing but I will need proof you did it during the month of December 2023), they will have the option to get a font of their language! I'm not going to design a whole new script for you, but send me a clear picture of all of your letters, as well as the computer key (letters, basic punctuation, and numbers are all doable, but it has to be on an English keyboard, I cannot do this for special characters or foreign keyboards) that you want to represent that letter, and I will turn it into a simple font that you can use to type your language on your computer! It does not need to be for the language you worked on during Lexember, any one of your languages will do!

Small note that this requires long intense stretches of concentration (unless you've already got the vector files for it, lol), so it may take me a few months.
Are you //really// sure you want to add this in instead of maybe an extra trophy?

I'm missing a bit of a soft landing there. You do have a dedicated section of what a conlang is, which I hope will be released first, that cites examples like Sindarin and Esperanto. Two very different types of conlangs that might help with accessibility, but then immediately go into depth on how to construct and start a conlang. Maybe break it up a little more, so instead of sounds/alphabet immediately start with a 'what's up with vowels' or 'what makes a sound'? I feel that you could make it more bite-sized as well with the post above it. Especially if the challenge is to create words and not immediately construct an entire alphabet. It would also immediately give you your prompts and challenges.

Maybe you could even set it up as a challenge to break the members out of their own mold? Most of the members are most likely English native speakers with English as their only language, or a slight exposure to European languages, so they probably wouldn't think about writing/reading direction or something as simple as what a period looks like './。'

I feel that your second post, 'language in worldbuilding' and the items that follows could all be their own exercise thread to inspire those participating? Something like: 'What is one example of linguistic/semantic class divide in your (con)language?' To help people brainstorm a little instead of passively taking it all in. Would also make the event longer.

Also, if you want more western examples I can list down some examples we have in Europe? Like Hagenaar/Hagenees (class distinction) or beef/venison (class distinction), Kenau (Dutch insult) or Geuzen (Dutch, history) or mazzeltov (Dutch, adopted from Hebrew), schadenfreude (German adopted Frankenstein word), friet/patat (Dutch geography), etc... I can list examples and explain them in another post so that not everything is Korean/Chinese.

EDIT: Challenge idea: greetings/parting phrases. My colleague once complained how embarrassed she was when she said 'Howdoo' as a parting phrase in the city, immediately revealing that she is a rural village girl and I have been thinking about that since. 😂

Last edited:
Are you //really// sure you want to add this in instead of maybe an extra trophy?

I'm missing a bit of a soft landing there. You do have a dedicated section of what a conlang is, which I hope will be released first, that cites examples like Sindarin and Esperanto. Two very different types of conlangs that might help with accessibility, but then immediately go into depth on how to construct and start a conlang. Maybe break it up a little more, so instead of sounds/alphabet immediately start with a 'what's up with vowels' or 'what makes a sound'? I feel that you could make it more bite-sized as well with the post above it. Especially if the challenge is to create words and not immediately construct an entire alphabet. It would also immediately give you your prompts and challenges.

Maybe you could even set it up as a challenge to break the members out of their own mold? Most of the members are most likely English native speakers with English as their only language, or a slight exposure to European languages, so they probably wouldn't think about writing/reading direction or something as simple as what a period looks like './。'

I feel that your second post, 'language in worldbuilding' and the items that follows could all be their own exercise thread to inspire those participating? Something like: 'What is one example of linguistic/semantic class divide in your (con)language?' To help people brainstorm a little instead of passively taking it all in. Would also make the event longer.

Also, if you want more western examples I can list down some examples we have in Europe? Like Hagenaar/Hagenees (class distinction) or beef/venison (class distinction), Kenau (Dutch insult) or Geuzen (Dutch, history) or mazzeltov (Dutch, adopted from Hebrew), schadenfreude (German adopted Frankenstein word), friet/patat (Dutch geography), etc... I can list examples and explain them in another post so that not everything is Korean/Chinese.

EDIT: Challenge idea: greetings/parting phrases. My colleague once complained how embarrassed she was when she said 'Howdoo' as a parting phrase in the city, immediately revealing that she is a rural village girl and I have been thinking about that since. 😂

*cackles. I'm not entirely sure, no. I just figured most ppl here ain't gonna stick to the whole 31, and even fewer actually have designed full scripts they'd take me up on the offer to fontify. BUT WE'LL SEE. I got two months to change my mind.

Breaking it from guides into challenges/exercises is an excellent idea, thank you. I don't regret writing it all out that way cause it helped me organize everything jumbled around in my head, and I was thinking for the future that it'd be nice to have them as singular guides for people to reference, but maybe I'll turn those bits into a short map and call it a package!

I would absolutely love European examples of basically anything I've already referenced. My examples have been 90% English, and the East Asian languages only bc those are the languages I know. (The conlang Guide also references Chinese a lot in part bc its
Writing system is so unique, so references to it will still start, just it would be nice to have more variety).

Examples:

Hagenaar/Hagenees (class distinction, geography & archaic); though nowadays it isn't much used, back when The Hague was still a little village (today the day it is still not an official city, because it technically never received 'city rights'!, so officially it is a 'town'), way before it became the center of international law in Europe, the citizens of The Hague distinguished themselves as 'Hagenaar' or 'Hagenees'. It was a combination of geography, as The Hague exists out of sand and turf and class. The wealthy side, the 'Hagenaar' (plural: Hagenaren) lived on the sand, their houses were build on sand and they didn't rely on menial labour to put bread on the table. The 'poorer' side of The Hague, had their houses commonly build on turf (peat) and had smaller houses and were reliant on menial jobs that the 'Hagenaar' would turn their nose up at. They called themselves and were called 'Hagenees' (plural: Hagenezen). Nowadays the distinction isn't much used at all, but those from The Hague take a special pride in being either a Hagenaar or a Hagenees, still.

Kenau (historical and a feminine insult); calling a woman a 'Kenau' is considered an insult, as it means that she is 'masculine' in both appearance and attitude and thus very, very ugly. However, the woman who inspired the insult was anything but. Kenau Simonsdochter Hasselaer was a merchant's daughter and a national hero who defended her home town (Haarlem) against the Spanish suppression when the Netherlands (then the Republic of the Netherlands) declared itself independent. She was said to be so brave and heroic during the siege of her hometown that the Spanish spread out the nasty rumour that Kenau was an old hag and an absolute witch that abused the people of her town and manipulated them to do her bidding in an attempt to discredit her. They must have been looking in the mirror when thinking up that definition!

Geuzen (historical); the Geuzen (water beggars) were the Dutch seamen that had fled the country to fight for the Dutch independence on sea. Because they weren't supported by the state (which was still under Spanish rule) they had to generate their own income either through the support of rebelling noblemen (who were busy electing a king) or by looting. They have become synonymous to pirates/thieves/mercenaries and today the day we still call bona fide groups that pack together to defend the state without the permission of the state 'Geuzen' (think of the motorgangs in 2013/2014 leaving for Syria during the Arabic Spring and the veterans now in Ukraine).

Mazzeltov (adopted from Hebrew); before the second world war, when there was still a Jewish community in much of Europe, words like 'mazzeltov' were adopted and are still in use today. It is an exclamation of pride, of genuine pleasure, when words like 'amazing' or 'wonderful' lacks its measure. Mazzeltov!

Schadenfreude (German); today it is an official word of which pretty much everyone knows the meaning of, however, once it was, like most of the long German words, a Frankenstein word, a word that actually exists out of multiple words they decided to mush together because they lacked a proper word for it. While nowadays the internet has a bunch of memes in which they 'claim' the Germans have invented yet another 'Frankenstein' word most of it aren't officially recognised in the dictionary and thus are considered slang.

Friet/patat (geographical); when one wants to order fries in the Netherlands one needs to pay attention where they are. North of the river 'Maas' it is called 'patat', derived from the Spanish word for 'potato' 'patata'. Down the river 'Maas' (so the south of the Netherlands but also Belgium) it is called 'friet' derived from the French word 'frites'. Mixing them up will result in weird stares and a dead giveaway that you aren't from the area or just straight up being ignored. It is the same type of discussion the French have in regards to the chocolate croissant (pain au chocolat vs. chocolatine).

Down the river/Above the river (geographical but also historical); when one looks at the map of the Netherlands one will notice one large river cutting the country into two parts (not exact halves). This is the border used to distinguish whether one is from 'above the rivers' or 'below the rivers'. Though nowadays it is mostly used to make fun of accents between both parts, the river has also played an important role in history! During the Dutch Revolt the river is what divided the Netherlands as known today into the independent new country 'The Republic' and the part that was still under Spanish rule. It is an influence that can be still seen and noticed today as 'above the river' the Netherlands is generally protestant with sober churches, but the areas 'below the river' were (and still are) deeply catholic which cathedrals. Today the day there is still a certain pride to be had to be from either 'above' or 'below' which can also be noticed in the previous example.

Kakker (class distinction); literally translated it means 'shitter' but it is often used to describe someone who is considered to be posh/elite, because they are believed to 'shit' for their job and still make money. This can refer to behaviour, but also to appearance and lifestyle (which often ties into each other). Personally I have never heard this word being used by those who are described with it (e.g: so no one will call themselves a 'kakker'), but only heard the word roll out of the mouths of those that would be described as a 'Hagenees' in The Hague.

Will add in when I think of more.

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: rissa