Lessons I have Learned

G

GrunkleLogic

Original poster
Age does not bring wisdom experience does, and we gain experience by learning from our mistakes as well as others, and letting go of pride.

So recently, I was accepted into the college I've wanted to go to for a while now. I applied and in a matter of a couple days I was admitted into it. Now this is in the same state mind you, but it is very far away from any of my friends and family. And that's exactly why I chose it, that and it's programmes. I knew that if I stayed in the comfortable social groups that I was in, I would never move on and do what I wanted to in life because I was too busy helping other people in their lives. And that was a choice that I made.

But now I kind of realize something; I haven't been helping my friends at all by stepping in to help them, and it's not fair on me to constantly be the rock everyone leans on. Most of my friends and family are happy for me, some are extremely upset that I am leaving. But there's a positive point to this; it's okay to choose you over others.

This is a huge step for me. I was hellbent on sacrificing my life to better others, but I can only do that if I have the right tools to do so. And every year my life gets harder and harder to cope with, and that's because I keep looking out for everyone else besides myself.

So take note of this; it's okay to support others, lend a helping hand but don't ever think that you are infringing on someone else by looking out for yourself as well.​