Last of Us(Equinoxsol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"No idea yet, we didn't really take the time to look through much of them." Komeko shrugged, pausing and catching the face that Mari made, offering her a sheepish smile. "I don't really like the idea either, but most of the time the books we find are too destroyed or weathered to read anyway." She offered up a little laugh as she came to a door for one of the second-story rooms and pushed it open. "Don't worry, if you find something readable that you really like or has useful information, I won't add it to the fire with the rest. You're not the only one that likes to read when you can find the opportunity. Though it's true we try to keep space available only for utmost necessities, even Faulklin finds a space to squeeze in a book of his own. One or two for keeps can't hurt."

Mari smiled appreciatively towards Komeko as she said that keeping a few books would be fine. Once inside the upstairs room, she examined a couple books, finding one that wasn't falling apart or the pages weren't sticking together. It was a nice, hardcover book too. Mari tucked it under her arm or safekeeping, then asked, "Do you ever wonder why this all happened?"

Komeko paused with a handful of ruined books, tilting her head in question. "What do you mean?"

"You know...why people got sick. Why they started eating other people...don't you wonder why it all happened? Why we can't go to school or anything young people should, because of the sickness..." Mari trailed off into silence, looking down at the book silently.

Komeko let out a sigh through her nose and looked up thoughtfully.

"Well...to be honest, I'm not sure anyone knows. I mean, aside from the facts of what the Infection is and how it spreads. Maybe it was just an accident or a strange mutation that just happened...maybe someone started it on purpose, who knows? But my brother always says that he believes everything happens for a reason, even if we can't see it, that maybe the things that we see as a curse are really blessings in disguise or that we go through bad things because something worse than that would happen if we didn't face what we're already burdened with."

She offered Mari a smile at this point. "We've all lost a lot because of the Infection, and everyone's lives are different now from what they were before it all started, but I don't see it as universally bad. I've met many good friends that I probably never would have known were the world any different, even if they aren't all here with me now, and I've gained two brothers that are so special to me, instead of just one." She cast her gaze out the door and it was obvious who the second she was thinking of was, before returning her gaze to Mari. "And also, I've made another friend today. It's true that it's hard to survive, and sometimes I dream of an easier life, but there are things we have that make it worth living in this world as it is now too. Whatever the reason that people began to get sick and we were forced to live like this, I don't think the life that was forced on us determines anything so much as how we choose to see it that makes living in such a backwards existence worthwhile, regardless of what we have to face. I know I can't do anything about getting rid of the Infection and curing the world, but at the very least, I know I can look forward to tomorrow, knowing that I have others around me that can make me forget the horrible things in this world, knowing that I can share with someone else in what good moments that will eventually come."

She blushed suddenly and looked embarrassed. "...listen to me...rambling on so sentimentally. Otouto's always saying I'm so naive...but I guess I just can't help it."

Mari listened to Komeko's words silently. It made sense, in a way. But...Mari's thoughts were always darker. She couldn't live in a world like this and be as optimistic. It had hardened her emotions into stone, so she rarely connected with people anymore. If she stayed with anyone, she didn't let herself grow attached. Attachments always led to sadness and distraught. Mari didn't need any more of that.

She shook her head of the thoughts before grabbing some of the books that were falling apart. "Are these enough for a fire?" she asked, holding up a stack of four or five.

"Yeah, I think so. I'm sure if they aren't, Otouto will say something about it. He always does." She chuckled slightly before heading back to the stairs with a few books in her own hands as well, setting them down just by the fireplace. "Now all we need to do is light it and get the fire going. You have a light of some kind?"

Mari followed Komeko's suit and set the books down by hers, keeping the one she wanted in her arms. Once asked if she had a light, she nodded, and took out a silver Zippo from her back pocket. She tossed it to the other girl. "Here," she said. "It doesn't have too much juice left, but it should do the trick." Mari smiled slightly, her green eyes lighting up for a brief moment.

"This'll work just fine, Arigatou."

Laying a few books in the fire place, she flipped one open so the ruined pages were exposed and gave the lighter a few flicks until it sparked a flame, holding it against the paper until it managed to catch and slowly start to grow and spread.

"Hopefully we can get one going strong enough to have a nice, hot meal," she mused, casting a glance over at the door of the garage as Faulklin re-emerged. "Otouto, why don't you see if there are any useable pans we can cook with?"

He only shrugged and offered up a careless wave as he turned for the kitchen, rummaging through some of the cupboards.

Mari's smile was gone when the books started burning, her signature frown appearing on her face even as the heat started to warm her. The frown deepened as Komeko spoke to Faulklin, disliking even the thought of him.

Turning her attention back to the girl, she asked, "Is there anything else I should do to help?" as she stifled a yawn. "I'm not too terrible a cook, either, y'know."

"Sure, you can help me with the cooking. I'm not the best but I'm not the worst, either." With a little laugh she added, "Otouto's never had much of an attention span for cooking anyway so it'd probably come out better if we did it."

Before long Faulklin appeared next to Komeko holding out a fry pan that still looked to be in good condition, not very used at all, making it a point to cast a spiteful glare at Mari for good measure as he did so.

"Arigatou, Otouto." Komeko offered up, the boy merely humming in reply before he moved to sit next to one of the boarded up windows some feet away, silently keeping an eye on the other two with a notable scowl.

Mari returned the scowl right back at Faulklin, her decently-good mood fouled by his presence. Still, she said nothing, not wanting to get into a fight. "What are we making? It's been forever since I've eaten something hot..."

Standing to retrieve and rummage through her bag, Komeko produced a sealed container, popping it open.

"Really it's just sort of a hodgepodge of stuff. We just have some stale bread and meat from some pigeons we managed to catch some days ago, but that's about it." She shrugged, dropping the poultry into the cooking pan. The meat inside was already cooked, mostly to keep it from going bad as quickly, but had grown cold since then. "It's really not much to eat, but it's better than going completely hungry, until we can get some more at least."

"That's fine." Mari smiled, moving near the fire and watching their meal get cooked. As the day wore on, it had begun to get colder, and Mari's threadbare sweater wasn't going to cut it this winter, not if she was already clinging to what warmth she could get. "I have some cans of fruit, if you want some...I don't want to be freeloading off of you two..."

"That sounds good," Komeko agreed, even as she momentarily pulled the pan away from the fire after it had been cooking a while and tentatively felt it with her fingertip, shaking her hand in the air slightly to cool it. "Variety always makes stuff taste better anyway, right?" She paused a moment and laughed slightly. "Well, I guess not in every case...some things definately don't go well together."

"Yeah," Mari answered, digging through her bag and taking out a couple cans of fruit cocktail she had been saving for a while. Using her knife, she cut off the top, her mouth watering at the scent of the fruity high-fructose corn syrup held inside. Setting both cans down, now famished, she watched Komeko as she cooked, her stomach making growling noises occasionally.

The last couple minutes, Komeko added the bread simply to have it warmed a bit, and it wasn't long before it was done, the Japanese girl casting a glance over her shoulder.
"Otouto, find us a couple of plates, would you?"

Faulklin only hummed to signify he'd heard her before once again making his way to the kitchen, returning before long with a couple of plates that weren't in too terrible condition.

"Arigatou," she offered up before dishing out equal amounts of each kind of food on each plate, handing one to Mari and then Faulklin as he sat against the wall nearest Komeko, and away from Mari.

Mari day with her own back to the wall, not trusting Faulklin in the slightest. She ate slowly, savoring the warm bread and meat. It was a lot better than any meal she had ever made. Saddened when she had finished, she smiled a bit towards Komeko before setting the plate down, sighing softly. "Want me to take first watch tonight?" she asked, looking up. I'm not that sleepy, and I want to be of some kind of help. After all, I did eat your food. It's only fair."

She threw a pointed glance towards Faulklin. "And I promise I won't try to kill you in your sleep."

Komeko seemed to savor her own food in similar fashion, though it was difficult to tell if Faulklin did the same or simply didn't really care for it, the epitome of indifference.

When Mari went on to suggest keeping first watch, Komeko opened her mouth to answer, but Faulklin beat her to it without looking up at either of them.

"I'll keep watch tonight."

Komeko cast him a quick glance with brows furrowed and gnawing her lip uncertainly.

"Choto.. Anata wa nan'nichi mo nete inakatta. Honki?"

"Hai. I won't be able to sleep anyway, so there's no point otherwise," he stated, not elaborating any further on why that was or if it had anything to do with Mari.

Mari ground her teeth and bit her tongue to keep from lashing out. Let's build bridges, not burn them, she told herself. Besides, she would do better off with Faulklin giving her some kind of trust. After a second, she said, "Very well." Turning to Komeko, she asked, "Want me to help clean up? And where do you want me to sleep?" She tossed a glance towards Faulklin, silently daring him to say something.

Status
Not open for further replies.