Knight on Time

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
She reached out for his hand. "Have...you changed your mind?" She asked, "I have little strength. I am not sure I can explain it well. Without a pact I am unable to use my full strength. I am a guardian."

"Uh..." He stared at her dumbly. "Yes? How do I make a pact?" He asked. "Also, I kind of got the guardian part when you came from nowhere and killed bad men."

"Your hand please," She said reaching out for his hand. "Tis a simple matter. It requires little more than a vow."

"Oh. Right. Sorry." He took her hand, attempting to haul her to her feet. There was no way that armor was light. "What kind of vow are we talking about here?"

She did not budge but instead she gently pulled his hand to her forehead as she bowed her head. "Tis simple. I, Mariland Cassella of Ivalice do hereby swear to protect thee. Thy only enemy shall be time and I shall guard thee until the end of thine days and beyond until a new charge appears." She said softly. He could feel a warmth come from her hand and she slightly glowed.

"Oh, a vow on your part. Okay. Do I have to say 'I accept' or anything? Or is this good?" He didn't question her strange ways of speaking or the fact that she was glowing. Honestly, he was still kind of wrapping his head around the whole legend-come-to-life thing.

She looked up at him and smiled gently, standing up on her own. "No. By allowing me to take your hand you need not accept now. It is done. I thank you."

Joel scoffed. "You don't need to thank me. If anything, I should be thanking you." Despite saying that, he didn't actually offer his thanks. "So...what happens now?"

"That is up to you. I am yours to comman. I will be your sword and shield. I only ask for a small bit of food and a dry place to rest. I do have some compensation still.....but I fear I do not know how long it has been since I have seen the world." She answered him. Maryland seemed far more stable on her feet now.

"Then you came to the right person. I'm sure you'll adapt quickly. And I do have a house...and some junk food...yeahhhh I should probably go grocery shopping soon. First, let me show you where I live. It's not too far from here." He started to walk back to the sidewalk by the street.

Maryland nodded and followed after him. "Are these your cities? Such strange streets...." She commented as they walked. "Are those....carriages? That move on their own? Fascinating."

"Cars. They're called cars. They're a lot more complicated than carriages. Although, we still call the power horsepower." Joel paused for a second. "When was the last time you were awoken? Awaked? Woke up? I dunno. Do you remember the year?"

"I see. How interesting. Horses are a powerful creature so I suppose that makes sense. It was the year....1124 ACE." She answered, "though I would assume that it has been.....centuries at least. Men still relied on horses, buildings were rarely larger than chapels. These buildings....they are so large...." She looked up and squinted a bit.

"Yeah. About that...it's now 2023. And nobody says 'ACE'. And you've actually just missed this big pandemic. Had everyone panicked. Anyways, yeah. Technology and society has been growing at...incredible...exponential even, rates."

"That is quite a long time. A pandemic? Oh dear. You need not fear any illness. My magicks are more than enough to keep thee healthy." She nodded as she looked around. "Nearly a thousand years.....it is little wonder that I feel so weak."

"Like actually? Wait. Do you know what cancer is? Does this mean I'm immune to cancer?" He asked. Joel wasn't ever really concerned about cancer, but immunity would be excellent.

Mariland tilted her head. "What? I....do not understand," She said, "I.....come from a time of magic and war. I have only heard of the constellation. How could one be immune to that?" She put a thoughtful look on her face. "Though I suppose you would be immune to those born under the sign of the crab......but that is possibly not what you mean...."

"Oh man," he sighed. "Well, good to know magic was actually a thing. Cancer is when cells, these tiny things in your body, mutate and start killing you from the inside out. Especially when it's in inoperable places, like the brain." He thought for a second. "Back in the 1000s, what happened to sick people?"

Mariland seemed to take the information in but couldn't really fully understand. "Well....in Ivalice they were taken to a healer or chemist if it was bad enough. Though there were of course doctors but they only visited nobility. I suppose the same things that happen to sick people here no? They get better from treatment, rest, or they die."

Joel nodded slowly. "Yeah, kind of. Most people around here are able to visit some sort of doctor, though. And the doctors can tell you to take these little...things that you can chew or swallow to make them get better."