Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
-INTRODUCTION-

Greetings everyone! My name is Tukata but Kata works just as fine. I have been a veteran off-and-on role-player for about a decade and would love to dip my toes back into the literary pool. It has definitely been a while since I have written some collaborative fiction so many apologies if I am a bit rusty. I am currently a full time student with a part time job so I will be pretty busy, though I will try and respond as fast as possible. Usually I will try and write a response at least once a day, sometimes more if I am feeling spicy, but other times it may take me a couple days. I have a habit of forgetting to log in and check for a couple of days so if I disappear I will most likely pop up again sooner or later. I am very flexible when it comes to how long it takes for you to respond. I get it, life happens. As for expectations, I am a literate role-player and I expect my partner to do the same. I prefer both parties write in third person and at the very least a paragraph or two of writing. While I understand sometimes short replies are necessary, I tend to get carried away and write a lot so I would like my partner to give me some meaty passages to work with. I like to write stories full of action and excitement and I hope one of my prompts piques your interest!

-HOW THIS WORKS-

Below I will have a few different settings that I have cooked up along with a few story ideas I have for them. If you are interested in a prompt let me know through private messages please! I will be updating as I stick around so hang tight for a prompt you like. If you like one of the settings but not one of the prompts or if you just like my style of writing and want to do something else entirely (fair warning I tend to like to stay in my genres of sci-fi and fantasy) feel free to message me and we can try and figure something out together! Whatever we create together, original characters only please!

-SETTINGS AND PROMPTS-

URBAN ARCANA
Loosely based on the D&D 3.5e campaign setting of the same name
Urban/Modern Fantasy

In 1853 common era, humankind became aware that they were not alone in the multiverse. In the 395th year in the Sai-Pralat calendar, the arch-wizards of a powerful kingdom attempted to open a rift in their reality in an attempt to reach a realm of pure magic, a theoretical limitless energy source. Instead, they ruptured the fabric of both realities, sucking out the entire Siberian Tundra and replacing it with an endless forest, a thin barrier between the magical world and the mundane. Nearly two centuries after the event, colloquially known as the Collision, the mundane world has largely adapted to their new neighbors. Magic has meshed with technology in mostly unnoticeable fashions, with alchemical vitamins filling shelves and arcanotech prosthetics becoming more common. However, not all exchanges between the two worlds are beneficial. Ancient curses stemming from spirits awakened by new magic entering the mundane world spread and infect the magical. Beings created from the very concept of evil and creatures with tastes for sentient blood claw their way through the barrier between realms and spew across Earth. The two worlds struggle to coexist without ripping the tear in reality any wider. While a lay person could go their whole lives without directly interacting with the magical world, the mundane world's neighbors are impossible to ignore.

Since the mundane world's new connection to the magical, those who interact with the magical world have a chance to acquire abilities most would deem supernatural. The mundane world is now infused with the reality bending properties of magic, making laws of physics mere suggestions. Magic is incredibly varied throughout both worlds and is almost unique to the individual. While those with magical blood find it easier to find a connection, anyone born in the mundane world is seemingly capable of at least a little magic. Some may hone their arcane skills through study, learning how to channel the magical world with years of practice and scholarship. Others may pledge their loyalty to a deity, either one from the magical world or an Awakened being from the mundane, and are granted boons because of it. There are those who neglect either and instead focus their entire beings in martial prowess and are able to accomplish feats most would deem impossible through sheer willpower and belief. These new sources of power have been vital during outbreaks of monsters from the magical world who are immune to any conventional mundane weapons. When the mundane are endangered by an arcane threat, magical might and enchanted weapons with warriors strong enough to wield them are the only line of defense.

-PROMPTS-

Yuji Carver never knew his birth parents but he always felt he took after his adoptive mother who took him in as an infant after slaying the creatures who murdered his family. While his other adoptive siblings stayed away from the magical world, Yuji followed his mother's footsteps and did anything in his power to become stronger. Like her, Yuji indebted himself to a patron, though not as powerful as hers. Like her, Yuji set off on an adventure to prove himself and make his mark across the realms. Like her, his blade tasted blood countless times as he fought across the endless forest. However, before he could reach the same legendary status of his mother, Sloane Carver the Crow Witch perished of sudden illness. Crushed, Yuji abandoned his adventuring career and found himself aimless. Unable to sit still for long, he was enlisted into protecting a quaint college town in central Oregon. While usually a relatively quiet gig, the last few weeks Yuji was forced to deal with growing numbers of dangerous breaches from the magical world. When someone is finally killed by one of the breaches, Yuji must now scramble to find the drive he had before. Perhaps a new companion found during his investigation of the breaches can help his journey to finding a new reason to fight.

Jasper Kane broke his hand at seven years old after punching an earth elemental in an attempt to save his brother from being devoured by rock. Impressed by his bravery, Jasper was blessed by the Sai-Palat goddess of protection Eidela. Thanks to his early connection to the goddess, Jasper was raised to be a holy warrior devoted to righteousness as soon as he was able to lift Ediala's signature weapon, a knights shining halberd. Secluded from his family and from most of the mundane world, Jasper spent years in Eidela's temple on Earth to become a paladin worthy of Eidela's blessing. Now freshly ordained as an official defender of peace, Jasper is finally sent out on a mission into the real world. Equipped only with his trusty glaive and armor, Jasper now must find his way through civilization while facing his first real foes outside the temple walls. When tasked with solving simple problems such as paying for bus fare or finding places to sleep, Jasper quickly understands he is woefully unprepared for his foray through the mundane world. He will need all the help he can get to navigate towards his goal and even more as he faces the beast he is sent to vanquish.

Yui EraDawn's tea shop is a haven to the denizens from the magical world. Fair folk of all kind mingle with dwarves and kobolds in the half-elf's establishment, a small piece of home in the middle of the bustling pacific northwestern city. When those from the magical world are in danger the mundane prefer not to step in. Yui prides himself in protecting those within his domain, viewing the entire local neighborhood as under his care. However, when magical denizens begin to go missing and police refusing to investigate, Yui takes it upon himself to uncover the mystery to keep his people safe. When the trail leads outside his neighborhood, Yui soon realizes the task may be too big for himself. He may have to do something he swore he would never do. Acquire an apprentice.

Akhira Churisai was chosen to be a protector. Chosen to be a hero. Raised in a monastery and trained in ancient Muay Boran form specialized in dealing with denizens from the magical world, Akhira believed in his destiny to combat the forces that threatened humanity. For years he hardened his shins and built calluses over his knuckles, focused his inner energy and harnessed his Ki into powerful magic to enhance his body. However, this changed after being sent on a training mission with the rest of the monastery's disciples into the edge of the Endless Forest. After encountering a creature far more dangerous than they were expecting, the entire party was massacred, leaving Akhira the sole survivor. Disillusioned by his ability to defend those close to him, Akhira ran from the monastery and settled deep in the tangled urban sprawl of Los Angeles. Akhira now uses his martial prowess to participate in underground fight rings against others blessed by magic. Having given up on attempting to be a hero, he instead scrounges for prize money to maintain his cigarette fund. But during one of his trysts through L.A. county, Akhira senses danger like he hasn't sensed in years. Worst of all, this feeling is soon followed by a nearby scream of panic. Akhira is forced between facing his fears of the monstrous or allowing a stranger to come to harm. Choosing quickly, Akhira hopes his Muay Boran isn't too rusty while bolting towards the source of the danger.

Gael Urehi has had a gift since birth. Blessed with an elven grandmother on one side and a fae grandfather on the other, Urehi has had a special connection to the magical world. Through this connection, Gael has found he can communicate with the natural spirits of the world and occasionally glimpse through the veils of realities to perceive the World Tapestry, the mystical artwork that supposedly depicts all of history, past and future. Thanks to his natural abilities, Gael has devoted his life to investigation of magical crimes. Working as an occult consultant for multiple police departments across Oregon, Gael travels across the state to solve mysteries by using his spirit companions to assist him. However, his antics tend to be incredibly unorthodox with Gael ignoring police protocol and procedure each step of whatever case he is assigned. In an attempt to curb complaints from prosecuting DAs and hardworking detectives, Oregon state assigns an officer to work directly with Gael during his investigations. While the pretense is giving Gael more protection from supernatural threats, in truth the assignment is more akin to babysitting. Gael will have to learn to work with a partner while testing just how patient his new companion is with bending the rules.

RUINS OF A FALLEN EMPIRE
Science Fiction, Cyberpunk, Grimdark, Space Opera

For millennia the Sol Imperium ruled across each corner of the inhabited galaxy. Many believed the iron grip of the Imperium would never leave their throats. No one expected civil war to erupt across the stars when the three founding species of the Imperium turned against each other. Now, centuries into a seemingly never ending war, the denizens of the former empire learn to live amidst conflict and create new ways of life in the ruins of the Imperium. Countless species and cultures are now fighting for dominance over the stars, with pirates plaguing systems and warlords claiming planets like game pieces. Mercenaries reign as factions yearn for cheap guns, soldiers-for-hire hopping battle lines when given a higher offer. Rogue arithmancers create strange and dangerous experiments now most of the Red Inquisitors have mostly collapsed, no longer keeping them in check. Law barely exists as few local governments keep militias to remain safe. While the tyrannous Imperium is no longer around, violence still rules the galaxy and shapes its inhabitants.

Long ago, the Cepholians unlocked the building blocks of reality. Through Arithmancy, those who wielded it, called arithmeticians, one could "hack" into the very fabric of reality using complicated computer implants connected directly to the user's spine and change the code of the universe. However, they soon learned of a sort of "administrator" of reality called the Architect that restricted how much Arithmancy could do. Seeking greater control of their powers, the Cepholians sought to end the Architects meddling. After decades of research, Cepholian arithmeticians managed to pull the Architect's physical form into reality and killed it. While effective in allowing for more powerful arithmancy, the Architect's influence was not over yet. Trillions were infected with nightmares of the Architect, each having unique dreams of the dead god. Those who can see these visions are given the ability to use arithmancy without any additional equipment, allowing them to directly change reality around them through sheer will. In the current age, those who dream of the Architect are called arithmancers and are widely feared for their abilities.

Arithmancy has lead to the development of the Probable Slip-Space Drive, or PSSD. By constantly inputting countless equations into a arithmetic warp system, ships are able to rapidly slip in and out of reality and travel multiple times faster-than-light. Shields are also common in the galaxy, small arithmetic machines programmed to wrap the user in a probability field, dampening any kinetic energy that could harm the user. Melee weapons have arose in importance because of high-frequency vibration mono-molecular blades that can slip through probability fields. Ranged energy weapons are used to overload shield systems and fry them before heavily burning the target.

-PROMPTS-

Junpei Aruseka was cursed. Cursed by the psychic death throes of a long dead deity, Cursed by a unsuccessful rebellion by his family. Cursed into a life of blood and mono-molecular steel by the universe around him. Raised to master both the blade and the arithmancy he was gifted with, Junpei became a revenant across the battlefield in the war of his family and its allies against the brutal Shogun who ruled his planet. When their rebellion was crushed, Junpei was forcibly sent off planet by his retainers while the rest of his house was decimated in retaliation. Now without a cause, Junpei is now set wondering the galaxy with nothing but a small envoy ship and his war kit. Occasionally taking a mercenary job in order to keep himself alive and not spoil the sacrifice his retainers made, Junpei remains largely until he stumbles on to a planet on the rim of the known systems. There he learns of new despotic warlord on the rise whose attitude mirrors the Shogun of his home. Refusing to allow another planet to fall under the same fate as his own, Junpei must once again find his grit to fully put his life on the line. Unfortunately unable to take on entire war party by himself, Junpei realizes he will have to resort to recruiting the locals if he wants to stand a chance.

Velmere "Vel" Stukka was a scrapper for as long as he could stand. An abandoned urchin in the massive urban satellite of Gurrius, Vel learned the only one thing he could trust were the high-frequency knives between his fingers. Surviving through petty theft, hired assault, burglary, and the occasional throat-slitting, Vel became an accomplished combatant feared across the station. His reputation brought him to the prize fights in the massive gladiator fortress satellite known as The Maw. After racking up a small fortune carving a bloody swathe through the other gladiators Vel soon made countless enemies throughout the Syndicate, the pirate band who fund The Maw and who's recruits see the pits as a proving ground. When Vel slaughters one Syndicate lieutenant too many, a massive bounty is put on his head to rid of him and his knives once and for all. Now with only pure survival on his mind, Vel must make his way out of The Maw and away from Syndicate space. His only problem being a distinct lack of vacuum-rated transportation. Desperate, Vel uses his old thieving skills to secretly stow away aboard a vessel before it left the station. However, it is only a matter of time before he is discovered, and whoever owned the ship might not be appreciative of the several million credit bounty hiding in their engine room.

Desmond "Dez" Wonju always had a knack for finding people. Whenever someone skips bail off planet or a notorious planet foolishly steps into a city, Dez is close behind with his tech-pad loaded with paralyzing arithmetic equations. Rumors of Dez's past are constantly exchanged through the Bloodhound's Guild, ranging from former Syndicate assassin to some Shogun's runaway ninja. These rumors are only stoked by Dez's aloofness towards the other guild-members. Most are unable to get Dez to speak, with his few words tending to be monosyllabic. However, as guild resources are beginning to run low, new Bloodhounds are needed to staunch the influx of violence across the galaxy. Knowing Dez as one of the best, the guild heads decide that he is the most qualified to take on their newest talent. Unfortunately for them both, Dez's people skills are less than stellar. Dez must learn to accomplish more than just tracking down his prey, and his new ward is going to have to keep up with the strange Bloodhound as he stalks through the stars.

Ursa DeVore had become very interested in scars. He would count them every morning as he ran diagnostics in the small interceptor-class vessel Revenant. His fingers would border the burn marks from energy rifles piercing his shields, glide over the clean lines of healed lacerations from high-frequency blades. He would palm the flash-forged emergency seals that covered the hull breach from the rail cannon round that turned crew mate Remora Lane into a red mist. He checked the wiring beneath a long gash in the inner hall, the mark left from a boarding axe as it made its way through the old captain Jackson Harrow. He would feel the gleaming screens, each one cleaner and brighter than the rest of the ship. They were replaced after the ship was overloaded and the screens exploded, sending a volley of glass directly into the pilot Gerros Redine's skull. Ursa was left alone to count the scars, pilot the ship, keep the fusion core running, and fight to maintain the memory of ghosts. While Ursa has the skill to work small merc jobs as a babysitter to VIP's and occasional bounty hunter, he soon realizes that the expenses of the Revenant are far too high for one man. Refusing to allow the old interceptor to fall into ruin, Ursa needs to find someone desperate, and perhaps stupid, enough to help him crew the old ship. Someone else to help share the scars with him.

CAPE SHIT
Modern, Superhero, Science Fiction, Single Unique Power

In the early stages of WW2, both Axis and Allies sought to create super soldiers to get an edge during the conflict. During one of the research projects into the endeavor, Japan discovered a unique form of chemoautotrophic archaea, soon nicknamed the Hyper-Evolution Catalyst or HEC, that, when introduced to the human body and high amounts of energy, force human cells to evolve rapidly at an exponential rate. Unfortunately, due to the voracity of the archaea, they lost containment of their samples and spread the archaea throughout the entire world. While the effects weren't felt until a few years after the war ended, the impact quickly changed the world. Those who held the correct conditions in their body to host the archaea were gifted incredible powers with near infinite range in capabilities. People without powers soon began to fear those who held it as the "Infected" quickly began to become more and more common. Many decide to use their newfound abilities for their own benefit and become "black hats", terrorizing the public for fame, fortune, or esoteric knowledge. Others decide to stand up against the powered threats with their own abilities. Those who use their abilities as heroes are colloquially referred to as "capes". Most go by alter-egos to protect their close ones from harm while some become public figures, identity brazenly presented. Super powered affairs are handled by the mysterious Sec7, a shadowy government agency with pull across the globe. Infected is maintained as a derogatory term towards those with powers, though those inflicted with HEC prefer the term Hosts. Today, Hosts struggle with attempting to live normal lives or join the eternal fray between black hats and capes as they decide the way forward for Hosts everywhere.

Any human on Earth is able to become a Host to a HEC colony. Due to the growing number of Hosts, approximately seven percent of all living humans contain the HEC archaea. Depending on multiple factors including upbringing, culture, ethnic background, and environment, the arrays of abilities granted are incredibly varied. The level of abilities are also incredibly varied. Sec7 ranks the danger of a Hosts abilities based on a color scale ranging from blue to red. Blue Hosts tend to have mild abilities that have multiple constraints, such as telekinesis but only with a certain substance in a close range. Violet Hosts are more dangerous with abilities that could potentially level buildings, such as near-invulnerability or greatly increased strength. Orange Hosts are much rarer and can be compared to natural disasters when they unleash their abilities completely. Crimson Hosts are nearly unheard of and possess abilities that could threaten the entire planet.

-PROMPTS-

Ezra Saelim always strived to be the perfect child for his Thai immigrant parents. He went to Wat Thai with his family every weekend to make his prayers at the shrine. He attended every language lesson and listened intently to each harvest story from the grandmothers. When it was time, he served his brief stint as a monk with the other boys from his Buddhist lessons. He participated in each Muay Thai class with a zeal to connect with his culture. But when he learns he is a Host his entire life is upturned. His parents disdain capes, spouting that they only protect the wealthy white areas of Los Angeles. while leaving Thai Town to the mercy of black hat Infected sent by the Red Wa to maintain control of local human trafficking and drug trade. Knowing his parents must not discover his abilities, Ezra sneaks away and fights local crime under the name "Dust". Able to manipulate dust particles to mimic his movements, Ezra and his dust clones have been disrupting Red Wa operations for months. Finally fed up with his actions, the Red Wa sends one of their lieutenants, a black hat Infected called Awat, to put an end to Dust's crusade. Oversure of his skills, Dust decided to confront Awat directly. However, Awat's experience in fighting other Hosts shows the clear gap between the two and beats Dust into a bloody pulp. Barely escaping with his life and clinging to consciousness, Ezra stumbles through the alleyways of L.A. knowing he cannot go home without his parents discovering his secret. As his vision falters, he catches a lone figure in his eyeline and quickly understands his only option. A brief cry for help managed to escape his lips before he collapsed onto the filthy concrete.

Alex Kurosawa despised the black hats. After a cape fight tore through his apartment building and massacred most of the people he knew and grew up with, Alex was seeded with a deep hatred towards those who commit evil, those who fail to stop it fast enough, and a distrust in Sec7 after they attempted to pay him off to not cause a fuss for the incident. Years after, Alex discovered he was one of the select few who could host a HEC colony after getting mugged on his way home from work. In a rage of defiant self defense, Alex left the mugger in a state that the doctors described as "Abhorrent". Able to sculpt shadows into monstrous appendages and terrifying visages, Alex stalks the streets as Abhorrent and hunts black hats like a beast throughout the country. However, after most of his prey end up maimed, mangled, and more likely than not missing limbs, Sec7 finally crack down and decide that Abhorrent needs a leash. Restricting Abhorrent from participating in cape activity, Sec7 assigns an operative to look over him. Alex must learn to reign in his inner predator and temper his fury while seeing if he can ever trust Sec7 again.

Quinn Kham had always dreamed of being a mighty hero worthy to stand with the rest of the legendary capes. After being pulled from the wreckage of a building by Paragon, Sec7's poster cape, Quinn wanted nothing more to be a shining guardian of justice. His wishes were finally answered when he came of age and discovered that he was a Host. Able to manipulate blackberry and raspberry thorns, Quinn took on the name Bramble and devoted himself to cultivating hardy strains of berry bushes to use to his advantage. After a year of honing his skills and developing his greenhouse backpack to supply his thorns, Quinn is finally accepted into the prestigious St. Michael's University of the Guardians. Extremely new to the world of caping, Quinn must now navigate the strange world of the super powered and find his own place among the incredibly gifted. To make matters even more complicated, it is soon made clear that the school has been infiltrated by black hats when students and faculty begin turning up dead. Trying to figure friend from foe, Quinn must find true allies to defend himself from being murdered by black hats, or worse, getting kicked out of school.

Last edited:
Prompts updated!

New prompts and new setting!

New prompt!