Jurassic World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, the raptors communicating in 3 was not the strongest point. The point I really attributed the I-Rex as having 'human-like' intelligence is when they say that it pulled out it's tracking implant, and it apparently left it as a trap (I could be wrong), because 'it remembered it being put in'.

Nydanna, I like to think about movies because I want to see them progress as a medium, but ultimately my question for Jurassic World is 'Will it be functional as a movie?' Enjoyable movies, even bad ones you enjoy, will come out as yes. The story, the characters, everything, as bad as it was executed, functioned as a whole. My concern is that Jurassic World will not function because, at it's core, the series is about 'man vs. nature', but I'm getting a 'man vs. other' vibe from the trailers.

Dervish, a lot of that contributed to the stability of the park in Jurassic Park, but in the novel it does also go into why Malcolm says the park will not work. He points to the inherent instability that exists in nature (Body temperature fluctuates throughout the day, 98.6 is a normal average, but isn't even normal across all people) combined with the mathematical proof named after him on possible outcomes (looking like a propeller blade of a ship). The sum total of all of this was that, sooner or later, regardless of 'sparing no expense' the situation would fluctuate off the smooth part of the 'blade' into an exponentially worse scenario.

Reactions: Dervish
Also, I think about Jurassic Park because it's a movie worth thinking about, and I love it for that.

I'm a huge JP fan and I actually didn't mind the sequels that much. I'm really excited for JW, I just hope they bring enough to the film to make it feel unique and not a rehash. My biggest fear, as silly as it probably sounds, is that JW wont have animatronics. JP was well known for its groundbreaking CG, but also the animatronics and it wont feel right without them. Since the guy that did the animatronics for the other movies died, though, I'm gonna assume there wont be any in JW :c Either way though, it'll be fun to get together my group of movie friends and go to the drive-in to see JW. Even if the movie isn't that good, its fun to hang out with everybody and go to a drive-in :3

Holy fuck, I need to read Jurassic Park.
It's the greatest.

You think Movie Muldoon is the best?

Wait until you get to novel Muldoon. He's the greatest human being ever.

I'm a huge JP fan and I actually didn't mind the sequels that much. I'm really excited for JW, I just hope they bring enough to the film to make it feel unique and not a rehash. My biggest fear, as silly as it probably sounds, is that JW wont have animatronics. JP was well known for its groundbreaking CG, but also the animatronics and it wont feel right without them. Since the guy that did the animatronics for the other movies died, though, I'm gonna assume there wont be any in JW :c Either way though, it'll be fun to get together my group of movie friends and go to the drive-in to see JW. Even if the movie isn't that good, its fun to hang out with everybody and go to a drive-in :3
I think they'll have some practical effects. From what I've seen with the trailers, it looks like they're putting a lot of love and attention to detail into it so far, so I can't imagine they'd stray too far away from a mixture of CGI and practical effects like they had with the first 3 movies. I wouldn't worry too much!

Okay, the raptors communicating in 3 was not the strongest point. The point I really attributed the I-Rex as having 'human-like' intelligence is when they say that it pulled out it's tracking implant, and it apparently left it as a trap (I could be wrong), because 'it remembered it being put in'.

Nydanna, I like to think about movies because I want to see them progress as a medium, but ultimately my question for Jurassic World is 'Will it be functional as a movie?' Enjoyable movies, even bad ones you enjoy, will come out as yes. The story, the characters, everything, as bad as it was executed, functioned as a whole. My concern is that Jurassic World will not function because, at it's core, the series is about 'man vs. nature', but I'm getting a 'man vs. other' vibe from the trailers.

Dervish, a lot of that contributed to the stability of the park in Jurassic Park, but in the novel it does also go into why Malcolm says the park will not work. He points to the inherent instability that exists in nature (Body temperature fluctuates throughout the day, 98.6 is a normal average, but isn't even normal across all people) combined with the mathematical proof named after him on possible outcomes (looking like a propeller blade of a ship). The sum total of all of this was that, sooner or later, regardless of 'sparing no expense' the situation would fluctuate off the smooth part of the 'blade' into an exponentially worse scenario.
Which is true, but a lot of what Malcolm said was simply validated because of the shortcomings he noticed at the park. A point I thought of after I posted my lengthy posts was that Hammond (and financial backers) believed it would be the big predators that would be the main selling points of going to the park, but what if InGen instead focused on cloning more passive herbivores initially just as a proof of concept and introduced some of the predators later, especially after they figured out how to properly contain them? Like, granted we're talking about animals that weigh tonnes and are stronger than any terrestrial animal alive today, but looking at modern zoos and simply up-scaling preventative barriers seems like it's a pretty win-win situation that should work fine. Even with all of the risks and things to consider, there isn't a reason Jurassic Park shouldn't be able to work if it was done correctly, despite what Malcolm said. Keep in mind his field is specialized in chaos theory, and he's going to stick to those guns until the end of time because it serves him academically, and his job was to point out to Hammond all the reasons why the Park can and would fail. The park did indeed fail, and that's largely because of the factors I pointed out.

But seriously, one of the most fool-proof way of keeping a lot of the dinosaurs contained is giant-ass moats with electric fences, assuming we're taking about the big lumbering beasts and not something that can jump 20 feet or climb trees, which you probably don't want to be cloning, anyways.

At the end of the day, it really boils down to you wouldn't have a movie if you had a park that was put together and run competently, and with this movie, I really get the impression that the directors wanted to give the audience an idea of what the park would be like if it was open and think of a new scenario that was different than the other movies. You can't really blame them for wanting to try something different, and at least the I-rex actually looks like a feasible dinosaur instead of the ghastly and WTF early script ideas where there were dinosaur-human hybrids, and Dr. Grant was forced to train an army of raptors or some shit.

Ultimately, Jurassic Park is sci-fi and while a lot of research was done into how it could be possible and the science behind it for the novel, you have to take liberties for the sake of a story because cloning dinosaurs is impossible and if you're already establishing a universe where dinosaur cloning is feasible and been around for about 25 years, making some funky dinosaur potluck really isn't that big of a stretch.

Reactions: feelingchimpy
I'm not going to see it for the plot. I just want to watch cool CGI dinosaurs eat people.

(Even though I have an irrational fear of plesiosaurs/marine dinosaurs.)

Reactions: King and Dervish
Okay, just came across this and it's very appropriate to this conversation.

When it comes to science and movies I take Neil deGrasse Tysons approach.

Recognize that a lot of movies just don't care about being accurate, and so simply allow yourself to kick back and have a blast.
However, if the movie brags about being scientifically accurate? Then pick that fucker apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.