4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Magical girl, action, science fiction
Hello all,

If there was a RP I spectated a while back on another site that died, and I want to do something similar on here (not down to minute details, but with the same premise), is that okay or is it plagiarism? I would ask the original creator, but I can't find a way to contact her.

I would of course not copy any text from the RP, as there are details I'm changing (setting, character setup, and other things), but I want to be sure I can use the general idea. I would also credit with a link back.

I saw the threads in the back of RP Help about a similar subject (this and this) but they did not answer my question entirely, and I'd like to get an answer from someone of authority on Iwaku so I can be sure.

Hello all,

If there was a RP I spectated a while back on another site that died, and I want to do something similar on here (not down to minute details, but with the same premise), is that okay or is it plagiarism? I would ask the original creator, but I can't find a way to contact her.

I would of course not copy any text from the RP, as there are details I'm changing (setting, character setup, and other things), but I want to be sure I can use the general idea. I would also credit with a link back.

I saw the threads in the back of RP Help about a similar subject (this and this) but they did not answer my question entirely, and I'd like to get an answer from someone of authority on Iwaku so I can be sure.

As long as it's not copy/paste the exact same idea, and you don't use any materials/writing from the other roleplay, then you should be good to go. Though it IS considered good etiquette to ask the former GM for permission, just out of courtesy.

Reactions: Mollisol
It's alright to be inspired by other people's work, but it should be your own. As mentioned above, copy/pasting or re-writing their work word-for-word is a no-go. You already mentioned using the essence of the roleplay, but not the details of it, and I think that's fine. After all, wouldn't every 'fantasy high school' roleplay be plagiarism if that were the case? (:

As long as it's not copy/paste the exact same idea, and you don't use any materials/writing from the other roleplay, then you should be good to go. Though it IS considered good etiquette to ask the former GM for permission, just out of courtesy.
Hello! Thanks for your quick reply.

I don't intend to copy-paste anything or use materials, so I think we're good there.

I did attempt to contact her, but I don't know if she has an active internet presence anymore (the RP, which is the last time she and I were really talking, occurred in 2009).

It's alright to be inspired by other people's work, but it should be your own. As mentioned above, copy/pasting or re-writing their work word-for-word is a no-go. You already mentioned using the essence of the roleplay, but not the details of it, and I think that's fine. After all, wouldn't every 'fantasy high school' roleplay be plagiarism if that were the case? (:
Alright, I think I'm good then! Thank you!

Hello! Thanks for your quick reply.

I don't intend to copy-paste anything or use materials, so I think we're good there.

I did attempt to contact her, but I don't know if she has an active internet presence anymore (the RP, which is the last time she and I were really talking, occurred in 2009).

Alright, I think I'm good then! Thank you!

Sounds like you got your ducks in a row :) And if the RP was from that long ago, my guess is that there won't be any issues in replicating something similar :)

Yep, similar concepts and things inspired by other RPs are fine! If it is a very specific, unique concept or there are elements borrowed right from their work, it is best to get permission and to credit, but there are only so many ideas in the world and most works are inspired or influenced by something else.

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.