Is Disneyland/Disney World off-limits in writing?

Nahellion

Hellhound of Iwaku
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
Online Availability
I usually am online at all times, but sometimes I play MMOs and watch Youtube for funsies.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. No Preferences
Genres
I like any genre as long as it has an awesome storyline.
I didn't know where to ask this question, so do let me know if this needed to be in a different forum and/or thread.

I am right now doing some brainstorming on a very long series, which involved demons and angels and whatnot. One of the settings that my characters would be going to...I had planned on Disneyland.

Now, I know you can use real places as settings, but is Disneyland off-limits to story writing (like would you get sued for copyrights by the Walt Disney Studio Company or something)?

And is it also off-limits to say television/movies (like if I am making a screenplay for a television series or a movie)?

I just wanted to ask this question before I get too deep into the story and have to change it all last minute.

Nope. Pretty positive Disney can't sue you for using Disneyland in writing. Except maybe if you're attempting to make money off the name... But even then it's doubtful.

Nope. Pretty positive Disney can't sue you for using Disneyland in writing. Except maybe if you're attempting to make money off the name... But even then it's doubtful.

Yeah, obviously the people will want to read the story about my characters, not Disneyland xD (unless they expected this book to be in downtown disney which I seriously doubt, rofl).

Thank you for letting me know though! Now I can write my story in peace ^_^

In roleplaying, it won't be an issue. In terms of writing in general, as in, you publishing a piece of narrative, there have been cases where personalities have gone after writers for 'slandering' their image and name, but I really doubt you're going to end up at the top of Disney's watchlist. If you're looking to publish a novel, or something of the like, this may be a good resource: How to Use Brand Names in Your Fiction (Just Like The Fault in Our Stars)

Reactions: PoetLore
In roleplaying, it won't be an issue. In terms of writing in general, as in, you publishing a piece of narrative, there have been cases where personalities have gone after writers for 'slandering' their image and name, but I really doubt you're going to end up at the top of Disney's watchlist. If you're looking to publish a novel, or something of the like, this may be a good resource: How to Use Brand Names in Your Fiction (Just Like The Fault in Our Stars)

So it seems like as long as I don't put Disneyland in a negative light, I will be fine? I was thinking of putting some 'funny gags' in the story, like have one of the characters think it was a 'theme park for kids' or even have an incident where strollers kept hitting their legs and such.

Is that something I might not be able to do?

You should be fine there. It's more like.. Suggesting it's a front for drugs or prostitution... Etc.

You should be fine there. It's more like.. Suggesting it's a front for drugs or prostitution... Etc.

Oooooh, like it's THAT BAD! Like VERY BAD! I did read the article Nav gave me and it gave me some new insight. So using that information & knowledge from that article and you guys, it seems like I will be fine as long as I don't 'slander' Disney's name (like actual name). So yeah, I think I will be fine making fun of the type of people that go to Disneyland xD