Inspired by Dragons in Places - GM-guided, medieval story!

R

Rosé Moon

Original poster
As a fan of the Game Grumps, and Roleplay, I have fallen in love with their new series, "Dragons in Places", and it has sprung forth an idea for a entertaining RP here on Iwaku. I shall dive right into it.

The appeal of "Dragons in Places", for me at least, is the silly tone, that is slowly being sewn in with a serious world, and story.

So, my idea is to start the world off with serious classes, and also silly ones. For example, of course, there will be the usual medieval standards; human, elves, dwarves and druids, but there also ridiculous norms, such as zombies. Zombies are the living dead, but they are not the mindless murder monsters we're used to. Instead, they are beings that are nigh-unkillable, but also, obviously, mentally... impaired? I want other ridiculous races that seem novel to players, but are normal in-world.

*clears throat*

The kingdom is Velera! A kingdom once ravaged by war as two separate countries has now become one nation that has known nothing but peace for a generation. Introducing our cavalcade! A group of youths that have known nothing but peace for their entire lives, looking for excitement and action. They have became heroes, of sorts, stopping thieves and bandits within their country they happen upon as well as taking jobs from the local keeps in order to earn gold. The group, eventually stops a group of cloaked highwaymen. It turns out that the highwaymen had been attacking the young prince of Velera. The prince invites the group to the capital of Velera. The group head to, and eventually reach the castle, and things... begin to take a turn. A darker turn.

If you're interested, please say so!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of when my friends would suggest things for a satirical D&D campaign. Stuff like "The Screaming Mountain" where it is an area with a mountain that is constantly screaming that seemed generally a lighthearted yet probable thing. There was also "The Revenator", a revenant who was "conjured by bad feelings and as long as those feelings remain he cannot die". It could be a neat idea. Would love to see more information.

I think I'd be interested in this; sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

I'm glad there is some interest accumulated! Any of you have any ideas for silly races?

You could go the route of Unforgotten Realms with ridiculous ideas like how his interpretation of kobolds were just strange creatures that just said their species name over and over; like it was a language. You could have a player character just repeat the word despite not knowing the language to his or her party member's confusion.

"You speak gremlin?"

"No, not really. Just went with it."

• Thank You
Reactions: Rosé Moon
Perhaps we should just let the comedic stuff come naturally and focus on starting the RP?

Reactions: Rosé Moon
I believe I will start a sign up thread (I'll tag you all) but how does this idea sound; cellphones. So, there is no technology outside of most medieval high fantasy EXCEPT for cellbirds that use mana to transmit data. This will allow main characters to converse about others in private, for another layer of development.

It's also entertaining to think of an old wizard taking a selfie with a dead orc for his tweeter account.

I believe I will start a sign up thread (I'll tag you all) but how does this idea sound; cellphones. So, there is no technology outside of most medieval high fantasy EXCEPT for cellbirds that use mana to transmit data. This will allow main characters to converse about others in private, for another layer of development.

It's also entertaining to think of an old wizard taking a selfie with a dead orc for his tweeter account.
Closes some gaps and opens new possibilities, I like it.