In the Name of a Queen

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Nicoli had been rather relieved when he learned Tristen had been named back to his usual status. In Nicoli's mind his place as the Head of the Queen's guard had been only temporary. It had never even occurred to him that she might intend the position to be permanent until Tristen's reinstatement had been confirmed. It allowed him to relax a bit, knowing that between that and Oswin's changing the schedule he and Anne were that much less likely to be caught. Not unless someone up and walked in on them again.

Nicoli's day was spent mostly asleep. Knowing he was expected to be awake all night, no matter what room or hall he actually ended up in, he had chosen to get as much rest as possible. he slept deeply and well, though his dreams were troubled by past battles. When he woke he bathed, shaved, and took a meal before heading to his post exactly on time and switched places with Sir bran who looked bored. Nicoli was left there for a solid hour before Diana appeared and he offered her the standard courtesies before she entered. It was another half hour before Anne came.

Nicoli made no move to follow her. In fact he gave no outward indication that anything had changed between them, even as he bowed and Tristen departed leaving her in the care of her night guard. Though internally his heart pounded at the sight of her, of knowing that he would soon have permission to be so much closer than outside in the hall. It was possible she might catch something in his eyes as he looked up, but the moment was safely over, her door was closing, he would wait patiently until summoned. Besides, after the events of that morning Diana should not have to suffer through his presence.

"Here," Lampkin answered opening his door wide and allowing her into the little room beyond a half uncorked wine bottle in one hand. His chambers were simple indeed. Anton had seen no need to give anyone special instruction as to Lampkin's accommodations and so he had ended up in the servant's quarters. The low servant's quarters. His space consisted of two little rooms. One was a bedchamber with only a fourposter, surprisingly large enough for two, a little dresser off to the side and a table with a wash basin on the other, which Dotty could see through the open door. The other room was a sort of small living area with a table with four scrubbed wooden chairs, a threadbare rug, and a little sofa off to one side. The walls were whitewashed with no pictures hung on them and the little window was positioned almost too high to see outside. Still, everything was clean, the bed was made, and Lampkin had even managed to get a little potted flower to put in the window.

"You can see why I like your rooms so much better," he stated almost abashedly as he led her to the table and pulled out a chair. Over the top was a simple white cloth, but Lampkin had set the table for two. "I thought you might be hungry, and as I'm monopolizing your time I figured I should provide you with a meal." He had gone far beyond a simple meal though. On the center of the table sat a vase with a single red rose and two white candles burning cheerfully beside it. As he spoke the man uncovered a dish of a deliciously roasted chicken, one of the palace cook's specialties, along with herbed potatoes and steamed carrots.

"I heard you mention it was a dish you liked the other day," he continued taking his own seat, "And there are berries and cream for desert . . . and chocolate if you like. I may have ordered a few extra when Ant-- the king requested a box to be sent to her highness." He carefully began to carve up the chicken. "The king may care nothing for the woman in his life aside from what he can get from them, and sometimes I fear he had begun to rub off on me." He wondered breifly if Dotty had ever caught onto the fact that he had never once called Anton "my King" when the man himself was not present.

"I thought, since you have been so accommodating to my own needs, that we would make tonight about you. Whatever you like. Massage, stories, slow and sensual sex or as rough as can be managed? I can attempt to sing, anything. Whatever you want, just name it. Even if it means leaving me to eat alone . . ."

That was the point of using his own room. She could leave his company whenever she wanted without the trouble of kicking him out.
He hoped she stayed until morning. He both wanted and enjoyed her company in all its facets. But he wanted it to be her choice. He was going to extra lengths to make sure she knew it was her choice. Lampkin did not think Anton had ever done so much willingly for anyone.

Funny thing was, Lampkin meant every bit of it.
He wanted Dotty to remember him fondly when he was gone.

Perhaps I'm getting soft?

• Love
Reactions: moffnat

Diana was certainly no fool. She had walked in on the heart of Anne and Nicoli's sin and there was no keeping it from her any longer. The second Anne entered her chambers the two girls were a giggling mess, as if the responsibilities of a kingdom were far from their respective worries and all that mattered was the destiny of true love. Diana immediately went to work on undressing Anne from her gown, pulling at laces and attending the fabric with care, but it was no secret that her work was in haste.

"So," Diana giggled, "which nightgown for 'im tonight?"

"The green one. He wants to see me in green." Anne removed the pearled crown from her head and rested it atop the vanity, pleased to see that the room had been cleaned in her absence. I should reward Diana for her work, Anne thought. And for her silence. "Put my hair up in a bun, too. It accentuates my neck and he'll smell the perfume more easily. Then he can take my hair down if he so pleases."

Diana only chuckled. "I feel like I'm preparin' my sista' for a date."

"In a way, you are." Anne smiled fondly to Diana in the mirror, and the two continued about their work. When the dress was tucked away in the laundry for washing, the queen stripped herself with her handmaiden's assistance and slipped on a thin, green slip of a nightgown that left next to nothing to the imagination and extended past her feet to the surface of the floor. She pinned her hair up in a lazy bun with matching combs of jade and crystal. "There," the queen said as she stood. "How do I look?"

"Ready for an 'oneymoon," Diana replied with a little flush in her face. "Beautiful, miss. He'll fall over as soon as 'e walks in tha' door."

"You think so?" Anne looked down at herself, the thin, see-through fabric that outlined her frame and only lightly obscured what was underneath. "Hm. I think so too. You can run along now, I won't need you for the night. Go have a treat in the kitchens, on me."

"Thank ya!" Diana clapped her hands excitedly, giving her queen a kiss on the cheek before dashing from the room, only to stop at the threshold and collect herself. Gently, she opened the door and stepped through it.

"The queen requests yer most honorable presence, Mista Ser Nicoli."

"...for me?" Dotty was admittedly surprised, looking around the room momentarily in search of a trap. Had he found out she was spying on him? Was this Anton's form of a punishment? But as the silence passed Dotty found that none of those options had come to fruition, and her suspicions quickly dissipated. "I...I had no idea you were so sweet. Unless you really want something?" She unlaced the top of her dress to flash him, breaking out into giggles before taking away the peek just as quickly. "Thank you, Lampkin. This means a great deal to me. I don't see why I should make you eat alone."

She sat in the chair he offered her and immediately went for the wine. I'm going to need a lot of this to get through tonight. She poured Lampkin a glass first before filling her own, setting the bottle down and lifting the goblet to her lips. "Mmm," she chuckled, "ReValyan wine has always been the best. None can deny it."

She swirled the liquid in her glass and considered him over the rim a moment. He was handsome, that much was clear, in a dark and rugged way that she always enjoyed. He had enough wits to get by. So why was he wasting his time with her, doing this of all things, when all he wanted was nice ass and a tight fit?

There is something more to him I'm not seeing.

"Why are you in the servant's quarters?" she implied with a hint of honest sadness in her voice. "Did Anton put you here? My queen would easily grant you better accommodations should you bring the matter to her. Her Majesty is generous. Her reputation befits her."

As does Anton's, she thought bitterly.​

• Love
Reactions: Falcon

Nicoli nearly froze as he stepped through the door and saw Anne as she had been dressed for him. "Gods you're beautiful," he managed in a hoarse whisper, barely having the presence of mind to bolt the door behind him. It wasn't just his desire for her talking either. His eyes flicked over the way the color brought out the healthy glow of her skin, how the slope of her neck and shoulder were revealed by the way her hair had been piled on top her head, the way the fabric of her gown draped over her body with the lines of her form just visible through the sheerness. It was enough to drive a man to distraction.

"Oswin shifted the schedules to give me night watch." Nicoli started, forcing himself to bring his eyes back up to her face and think rationally. "I'm yours until early tomorrow provided I'm still ready and able to protect you at a moment's notice." His armor clinked faintly as he moved to stand in front of her, one hand moving to caress her cheek. "I had hoped to use some of that extra time to romance you," he whispered, "But seeing you like this – I'm not sure I have that much self control."

His other hand drifted to her hip, his thumb rubbing little circles in the cloth as he drew her close for a kiss, enjoying the feeling of the fabric between their skin and at the same time wanting to remove the barrier. A moment later he suddenly grunted and lifted his mouth from her lips. "The leg is going to have to stay on," he stated a note of annoyance in his voice. "If that'll be uncomfortable for you we could wrap a towel around it or something? And my sword will need to be within easy reach. Maybe if we hang it off the bed post?"

Rebecca sat at a little table in the kitchen helping the cooks prep for the next day's breakfast as she waited for her father to finish the last of his duties so she could walk home with him. At the moment she was busy kneading dough that would be left to rise for the next day's bread.

"Diana!" she called cheerfully waving as the girl in question entered and getting flour everywhere. A moment later she frowned and motioned her friend closer. "Did it go all right?" she whispered a note of concern in her voice. "I saw her highness walking with the king and she was still pretending to like him so . . . And Nico promised me he'd go talk to her . . . is it going to be okay?"

Rebecca wasn't looking for details. What had happened between the Queen and her knight was between the Queen and her knight, but the Queen's distress had become Diana's distress and Rebecca liked to do what she could to take care of her friends. Even if that meant interfering in other people's love lives.

Lampkin let out a long slow breath as Dotty teased him by rearranging her blouse. So far so good. If she was teasing him and eating the meal he had gone to some trouble to provide, then she couldn't very well despise him, could she?

He took the wine she poured for him and tasted it before serving her plate. He could almost see the wheels turning in her head, calculating, reevaluating. As problematic as it could potentially be, he appreciated that she had a head on her shoulders. It made things interesting for him, shifting her lies from truth. Though the fact that she was a joy to look at from all angles was certainly a bonus.

"He did not put me here," Lampkin answered putting his fork down. "His simply neglected to put me anywhere and this is where I ended up. "It's not so bad. The bed is large and comfortable, and the food is good. At for the rest," he shrugged, "I spend most of my time running around the palace so it hardly matters."

He took another bite of his meal thoughtfully before continuing, "I'm sure you're right and her grace would place me somewhere else if I asked, but she hardly has any reason to bother with me. She doesn't even have a reason to like me considering who I serve, and I'd hate to put her in an awkward position.

"I must admit I didn't believe any of the stories of her kindness until I came and saw for myself. First week I was here I watched your Queen like a hawk just waiting for some slip that proved it was all an act. In Leondeal every politician has an angle of some sort and most play games to get what they want. Even the Queen – the Dowager, and she's possibly the only honest one in the lot."

He hastily took another drink of wine as he realized he'd probably said more than he had ever intended. There was a look in his eye that implied that every word had been the truth.

Last edited:
  • Love

Anne instantly submitted to his touch and his kiss, smiling against the gentle softness of his lips, so grateful to be back in his intimate presence once more. She returned his kisses and rested her hands on his arms, pulling away only as he did, never satisfied with what he offered. She always wanted more. He had always sent her through a wide range of emotions but tonight she felt more in control, more prepared for whatever he could throw in her direction. But at the mention of an extent in his guard duties, her face broke into the widest smile. "He did?" she asked, entirely shocked. "I can't--he did--oh, gods! That's absolutely wonderful!" Anne threw herself into his arms and giggled like mad--it was more than she could ever hope for, spending her nights with him. At the moment, she felt it was more than she deserved.

The gods will grant me a final time of love, she thought, and sent a silent prayer in thanks to the deities who watched over her.

"My news is much less exciting, though." The queen pulled away gently from her knight, moving to the table to pour the both of them a glass of wine. She would need it to reiterate this information. "We scheduled the wedding for the last day of spring. I tried to get it as far out as possible without seeming suspicious..."

"Shhh!" Diana held a finger over her lips to shush the loud Rebecca, knowing the eagerness was mutual but remaining strong in her resolve. "I jus' got 'ere, you're gonna ask me all these questions?" She gave a little giggle. "At least siddown first."

She pulled Rebecca to a little couch near the hearth, leaning in close to tell her secret. There was no denying the excitement in her voice or the hesitation in her demeanor--a promise had been made after all, and Diana was never one to break such things.

"Queen Annie made me swear not to tell a single livin' soul," she said, not confirming or denying Rebecca's suspicions, but the answer was in her eyes.

Well, well. He continues to surprise me. Dotty took a bite of the chicken and scooped a bit of mashed potatoes onto her plate, examining him a bit too closely, and she knew she may have alerted him to her suspicions. Could she be blamed? Anton was a man worthy of investigating and Lampkin was a smart man, surely by this point he hadn't believed Dotty to be completely innocent. However, to protect what little cover she had left, she sipped at her wine and offered another playful chuckle that sang through the air, the kind she was known for.

"Her Majesty is as benevolent as the stories say," Dotty confirmed, "but why was there any doubt? Does the world believe us to be liars in ReValya? Does the Anton think that?"

She dropped the title of king intentionally, because she knew he didn't deserve it.​

• Love

"With any luck an answer will be found by then." Nicoli answered her. He stayed where he was and began to unbuckle his armor, leaving each piece in a precise stack at the foot of the bed. His belt and shirt were draped over the top along with a single stocking. The other stocking was back in his room in the barracks as he had never seen a need to wear a sock over the wooden leg. At least this way they were on somewhat equal footing. She was wearing clothing intending to please his eye, he hoped the sight of his scared body might provide her with similar. It was a fool's thought, but she had seemed to enjoy him so far.

He finished just as she completed pouring the wine and had settled down to sip at her own. "And if a solution has not been found," he continued crossing the room to kneel at her feet, shirtless and with a faint smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. "Then at least we have more time together."

He reached out and cupped her hands and cup between his own and proceeded to drink from the other side of her goblet. "I love you, Anastasia, and I do not intend to let you go to him without a fuss. And if you are angry with me over it," he shrugged, "well then at least I'll know you care about my opinion."

His grin was somewhat mischievous as he gazed up at her. "Now," he chuckled, "away from distasteful topic for tonight is ours to do with as we like. What shall it be? I can sing or tell another story? or we can talk about our childhoods some more? or perhaps you have another idea?"

Rebecca took one look at her friend's face and grinned.
"She may have told you not to tell, but that doesn't mean I can't guess!" she giggled excitedly, though her vice was kept low as she minded Diana's caution of privacy.

"I'm guessing that something good happened, based on your smile, and what ever it is means Nico and her highness are now on good terms, maybe even romantic?" Rebecca nodded as if she understood and Diana had confirmed every word. She pushed a bit of hair out of her face leaving a trail of flour across her cheek. "But because she's still chummy with the king I'm guessing that there some political mumbojumbo getting in the way of giving him they boot"

Suddenly Rebecca's face flushed and she bent in to suddenly whisper a question in Diana's ear.

"I mean . . ." he hesitated, "if that's the case you can stay with me since you're room is so close to . . . it'll be fun. I've got my own room and Ma won't mind having company."

"The problem with living in a country of politicians and professional liars," Lampkin answered, "Is that when you grow up there it becomes very difficult to believe the rest of the world is not the same way. I expected ReValya to be the best of what I had seen there. I expected the Queen to have her own plans and schemes, I expected the knights to be ready to kill a man for a crosswise glace, and I expected that your willingness to allow me into your bed was based purely on self interest and what information you thought you could gather." He finished his food and pushed his place away. Now that he was being completely candid he might as well continue. The damage had already been done.

"I can't very well blame you if you were thinking the later, I had similar motives myself, and you made it considerably more than pleasant. But at this point I think I'd rather just be asked. Honestly, sometimes i just ike to talk to someone without making up answers."

• Love

She gave a great laugh and placed the cup at the end of the table. "Stand up," she giggled, "you hopeless romantic. Stand up and kiss me again, not another word." Nicoli did as she ordered, the two of them smiling like foolish children before they could smile no more in the heat of a kiss. Nicoli had backed her up against the edge of the desk and picked her up to place her on it, and the two wasted no time. Within minutes they were undressed and smothering each other in kisses and erotic touches, separated for far too long, and there was no hesitation in either of them as they commenced in lovemaking atop the queen's place of study. Each time Anne broke out into a laughter at how idiotic they were for being unable to resist the sensations of sex, Nicoli kissed her into silence and all was sparks and magic. The heat of the moment saw them both spent before the hour chimed a quarter through. Anne panted and giggled as she rested in Nicoli's arms, exhausted already but refusing to give into the need for sleep so early in the evening.

"Gods," she laughed, "I can't believe we just did that on my desk."

More jokes and jabs from Nicoli and the queen sent them both back into the mode of chuckling children. Carefully, the knight picked up his lady and placed her gently on the bed, crawling in beside her to wrap her in his arms.

"You're a devil," she sighed, settling into the strength and the protection he offered in a single embrace. "I can't believe I allowed you into my queensguard. How long have you been undressing me with your eyes? Oh, the horrors!" Anne waved a hand to her forehead, the symbol of a damsel in distress to add to her dramatic conclusions.

"Stay?!" Diana gasped. She looked around the kitchens to make sure no one was listening nearby, clearly shocked out of her wits at Rebecca's ballsy decision, but in retrospect the logic was clear. The more she was around Rebecca the less she would be likely to interfere with Queen Anne and her...well, her "time" with Ser Nicoli. She supposed that could be a positive in the long run.

"But do ya know how suspiciously that'll look?" Diana whispered hoarsely. "I don't wan' the whole entire castle thinkin' I'm slackin' in me job! And what if King Anton wonders what I'm doin' and stops me? I don' like tha' man, Becky. If he confronted me I think I'd prolly wet me poor self."

The thought certainly was tempting, however. She could use some more time away from the castle and out of Anne and Nicoli's hair. But is it worth the risk?

Dotty could only chuckle. "Oh, Lampkin. You are certainly a cunning one." She drink deep from her glass before refilling it; Dotty was well-known to be the heaviest drinker in ReValya, able to drink anyone under the table should they be brace enough to claim a matchup. Not even Queen Anne could outlast her despite the taste both of them have for the harder drinks, but of course, that would remain a secret. It had been a fun night, though. Anne had thrown up four times and Dotty was worried as worried could be, but Anne continued to laugh so hard she cried for the following three hours. In the end, the maid remembered the event with much fondness.

"Very well," she stated. "I'll be fair with you. I was feeding information to my queen and originally hadn't the slightest bit of interest in you, but you can't claim innocence to the same. I may be more attractive but you only wanted what's between my legs and the words that came from my mouth, nothing more. We are no different."

Dotty sighed and took a few more bites of the chicken, chuckling in a gentle moan at the delicious taste. "Brandy made this down in the kitchens, didn't she? Gods, she makes wonderful chicken." She wiped her hands on the napkin before setting them back in her lap. "But I digress. Leondeal is full of liars and schemers, and I'll be plain--Queen Anne has no interest whatsoever in Anton. She thinks so lowly of him it's a miracle she gives him the time of day, but she knows she has to marry him. There's a plan cooking in that one's gentle head. I don't know what it is, so don't bother asking. She only trusts me so far. But I am positive she would never mistreat Anton or Leondeal as a whole. In fact, in my personal opinion, I think she means to revolutionize Leondeal and make it a land of liars and schemers no more.

"And now," she said, pointing at her dirty lover. "It's your turn. Spill."​

• Love

"I'm a devil?" Nicoli jokingly questioned knowing it had probably been largely a lack of his own self control that had led to their use of the desk, but the way she had attacked his belt had indicated to him that Anne hadn't truly minded, just as her behavior now suggested she was teasing. "You're the one who made herself absolutely irresistible," he chuckled, marveling as how comfortable it was to have her lay so snugly against him. "Keep it up and you'll wear me out. You'll have to be satisfied with kisses."

It was fortunate he had slept the majority of the day away, else he might have been tempted to doze and as he was still on shift that would be entirely unacceptable. Nicoli vaguely noted that he should probably put at least his trousers back on, but Anne's warm weight against him brought such a peace with it that he could hardly be bothered.

Nicoli pressed a tender kiss the the crown of her head as he addressed what he saw as her question. "You are beautiful, but if ever a stray thought like that did enter my head I shook it from my mind as quickly as possible. You are a woman and queen and not some object to be lusted after . . . though you have certainly learned quickly how to inspire a state of lust in me --" His fingers slowly traced shapes across the soft skin of her side and he sighed in contented bliss.

"How did you come to have such a thing in your wardrobe?" he asked absently a moment later, "and what would you have worn if I had named only a single color?"

"Light, Diana!" Rebecca laughed. "I'm just asking you to stay the night, not a week. The Queen's already dismissed you right? So as long as you're back for work in the morning I'm sure it'll be fine." Her smile was kind as she wiped her floured hands on a dish towel. "And you work so hard all the time that a day off, or evening off in this case, could hardly hurt anything!"

Rebecca honestly thought her friend was over reacting, though looking at the big picture and Diana's fear of men Rebecca had to admit she understood. Still, she didn't like the idea that a night off to do what she wanted was such a big deal. Most palace servants spent their days working and then had their evenings to spend how they wished. Rebecca didn't see how it should be any different for the Queen's maid.

"I mean everyone needs to spend time with friends," Rebecca continued, "I'm sure even Anton has someone he talks to so he can't get mad if you take one evening when you've been looking after her highness so well for so long."

She paused for a moment, "And if you did want to come over more often I don't think anyone in my family would object. I've only got two brothers still at home and Ma loves having people around. She's a great cook. She was going to teach me to make apple pie when fall comes! And Papa likes you," she added almost as an after thought. "The other day he said you had a good head on your shoulders. Pa never praises anyone unless he means it so when he says a person's smart . . ."

"Spill what?" Lampkin chuckled, " I freely admit that I find you incredibly attractive. I originally wanted to speak with you due to your placement with the queen, but you invited me in. Yes I enjoy the liberty you've allowed me of laying between your legs and pillowing my head on your wonderful bosom. I look forward to our time together and hope you find me likewise enjoyable and not completely repulsive, and I admit to the hope that there will be more occasions, however they will be entirely by your choice. I can and have gone without.

"What I wanted from you, what it was I was originally after, was information. I think, perhaps, that it was our mutual understanding and similarities that saw I continued to pursue you over other methods and I will not apologies for it. You've proved yourself intelligent and I'm convinced I've only caught half the lies you've fed me. I don't mind. i'm not a kind man myself, I've never claimed to be. In Leondeal, in that city so full of political string pulling that even an unanswered letter can speak volumes, information is the key to survival. Who is sworn to whom. Which servant is serving one master and selling information to another, Who is really an assassin is disguise and who is the fool they appear to be.

"Anton fancies himself a spider in his web drawing all the little juicy flies to himself, never seeing the larger arachnid hiding in the corner. One word from the right mouth and his life would be gone in an instant he never saw coming. And yet it suits others to leave him in place for the time being in hopes doing so will allow larger plans to unfold. Anton is a fool looking for a willing bed-mate, a healthy womb in which to spill his seed, and access to the sea, forever thinking he is on top of the world. He had no interest in love or a a healthy husband/wife relationship as long as he ends up with an heir."

He took a long drink of wine from the cup and closed his eyes, frown lines furrowing between his brow. "If your Queen really could save Leondeal, to make it like - to make it like here - I have half a mind to risk her wrath and recommend letting the wedding come to pass . . ."

Last edited:
  • Love

"That old thing?" she chuckled. "I wear it because it's comfortable, believe it or not. On nights that I don't sleep with any clothes on--yes, that happens more often than you might think--I occasionally wear it because it's so light and airy. Though I knew it had a certain allure to it that I thought you might enjoy. As for the other nightgowns, you'll simply have to come back other nights and see." Anne kissed him sweetly and laid in his arms a few moments longer before crawling out, much to her lover's surprise, and standing on her feet. She slipped the gown over her head and walked over to a massive bookshelf that stood floor-to-ceiling, grabbing the ladder and swinging it in front of the section she desired access to.

"Are you a well-read man, Nicoli?" Anne asked from across the room, climbing each rung until she stopped about six feet from the marble floor. "If not, we're going to go over some reading basics, but if so I have something I'd like you to read." She looked over to him and winked. "We can go for a round two later."

"Mista Ser Tristen said that 'bout me? Me? Diana McLarson?" It was plain in her face that the sentiment had shocked the poor girl from her wits, as if she thought herself no smarter than a rat and the old knight had just crowned her queen. She shuffled her feet awkwardly and looked unable to speak for a moment, processing the nice compliment from a man who was worthy of being one.

"Tha's awful nice," she said shyly. "I didn't think no highborns thought like tha' 'bout me." Diana gave a little smile. "I suppose I could stay at your place, Becky. I mean, I don' wanna interrupt on the queen or nothin'. And you're right. I should be with friends. I jus', I jus' thought Annie was me only friend for so long."

Diana sighed and smiled over to Rebecca. "I can' get my things though, I don't wanna disturb Annie and Mista Nicoli."

"Is there any reason it wouldn't come to pass?" Dotty asked with interest. "Her Majesty is determined that this wedding will happen. She wants nothing else. The queen has always had a mind for romance and gallant knights saving princesses from their doom, but she is also a very realistic woman. She feels that she could come to love Anton over time, so long as he isn't a complete sociopath, and should they share not a single shred of love it wouldn't matter to her much in the end. She will love their children, Anton will love what little power being King of ReValya will grant him, and everyone will be happy in some very sadistic way.

"However," Dotty chuckled, "if you're suggesting switching sides I can guarantee Queen Anne will hear you out. She has no love for Anton as I stated before. He may think himself a spider in a web, but be that the case Anne is the boot that will crush him." She raised her eyebrows suggestively. "Have I piqued your interest yet?"​

• Love

"I can read and write as well as most men in the guard," Nicoli answered stretching and snuggling back into the luxury of Anne's superb mattress and pillows, "though I doubt I could meet the standard of what you mean by well read. To be honest I read better than I write." He was sincere in his answer not ashamed. Many of his acquaintance could not read at all and Nicoli was rather proud of having managed as much as he did, yet as Anne went for the book he wondered if he might not be about to let her down. "If I'm not up to scratch, I think learning from you would be easier that any other lesson I've ever had to take-" his grin was suddenly extremely mischievous, "especially if the lessons also come with as exquisite a view as the one I'm looking at now." He watched her choose the book and while it would have been the perfect opportunity for him to grab his breeches, her promise of a "later" kept him in his place.

"I would at least like to try to read this passage you want me to see," he continued in a more serious tone. "Even if I do require a bit of help. You've done so much for me just in accepting my love that learning to do this correctly feels the least I can do to give back."

He opened his arms when she returned to the bed so that Anne could climb easily back into his embrace.

"Well, you have more than one friend now!" Rebecca chirped happily. "As for your things," she shrugged, "I'm sure we've got extra stuff. Ma and I just did the wash yesterday so I know for a fact that my spare nightgown is clean and I've got an extra dress that might fit you. And I'm sure we can find whatever else you need between Ma and I -- but I'm also sure if you wanted something, you could get in and out o' your room without making a sound. I mean they know where your room is, I doubt they expect you to not even use it, and it's hardly like you have to go through the Queen's quarter's to get to it right?"

Rebecca's expression was in earnest. She honestly didn't believe Diana could bother anyone no matter what the other girl might say. "If you know what you want I could help you grab stuff? but if you really don't want to go back right now I'm also sure we can find things to make work."

"Switching sides!" Lampkin suddenly roared with laughter," My dear, you have just made the incorrect assumption that I have been working for Anton since the beginning!" He shook his head and chuckled. "No, I serve Anton because for the moment it pleases another to place me in the king's service. It is also in that party's best interest that the wedding not come to pass, or at least it be delayed as long as possible. There are a number of elements in Leondeal who would love a reason to make a bid for the throne and many believe that any one of them would be better suited than the current ruler. They only need sufficient reason. Anton screwing up and making an ass of himself with our nearest ally could provide such."

Lampkin drained the rest of his wine in a single drought and collected the empty dishes to set aside. From inside the well crafted ice box located under the writing desk, the room's only luxury and one it appeared Lampkin might have temporarily borrowed, he withdrew a bowl of chilled berries and a pitcher of cream. A moment later he produced a box of chocolates and another bottle of wine.

"Dessert?" he queried almost cheekily before continuing along his earlier train of thought, "Unfortunately while you do have my undivided attention and interest in learning exactly what you mean, and while I have already told you a great deal more than I should have, I do not have the authority to make such decisions on my own. Only recommendations. That is of course, provided you think the Queen would be interested in working out an arrangement with a third party who, for the moment, I believe would be better to leave unnamed."

• Love

"Sit up," she chuckled deviously, feeling her heart swell simply at the sight of him looking upon her with such love. When Nicoli did as she asked, Anne settled between his legs and leaned back against his chest in a gentle manner. "I'm going to put your reading skills to the test," she told him with a hint of seriousness to her joyful tone. "Are you ready? You should be."

She gave a soft sigh and turned the book upwards so that he could see the title clearly. It was handwritten on a hardcover book made of animal skin, very old in make and model, and the title read in cursive ink, 'The State of Affairs'. "Boring," she admitted, "but necessary. This book has every alliance, every war, every political marriage and backstab and cold war to ever occur in the past two-hundred years. There are hundreds of these books dating back to the first King of ReValya. Up in my family line, the first king took it upon himself to document all the goings-on throughout the neighboring kingdoms in case it came of value later on in life. The tradition was carried out throughout the entire royal line. Only those of ReValyan blood or bond know of these books, so you must keep it a secret. Do you understand?"

Anne looked up at him to ensure he registered the severity of her words. This is a book every king should read, her eyes told him. You must stay updated after I'm gone and carry on these words in my eminent absence.

"Mmm. I suppose." Diana rubbed her arms and gave a little sigh, clearly a bit uncomfortable with the situation but less so than she was previously. Rebecca had been so kind and sweet ever since they had met, thick as thieves, as close as two true friends had ought to be. There was no reason to mistrust Rebecca or anything she told her in regards to safety and comfort.

Why not have a little night to yourself?

"Okay, okay." Diana chuckled and clapped her hands excitedly. "But I don't wanna go back up there. No disturbin' the queen n' all, even if she wouldn't know I was there. Do ya have a nice house, Becky? Does it have more than two rooms?" She gasped suddenly in realization. "Do ya have yer own room?!"

"Gods. Truly?" Dotty laughed, holding out her plate so he might serve her. "Your rating in my books just went up a hundred places, Lampkin. Anton has enemies in Leondeal, I shouldn't have been surprised by that. He has enemies here as well. However, this wedding will happen. My queen commands it, so it will come to pass. Should you wish to stop it then you are my enemy once more, and you will sink a hundred places lower yet again." Dotty offered him a wink.

"However," she stated in thought, "that doesn't go for what happens when he is king of ReValya, either. I don't imagine Anne likes that idea. If I had my guess, she means to have a child by Anton and then find some way to cleanly dispose of him. I'm sure blackmail could be arranged. Of course, the queen mustn't know. She despises Anton, yes, but she is nothing if not merciful and kind. Working behind her husband's back just...doesn't suit her tastes. Of course, that wouldn't stop me from acting on her orders."

She hoped he would catch her meaning.

"Did you have anything in mind for debunking our precious Anton?"​

Last edited:
  • Love

"I suppose it is easier to read sitting up," Nicoli admitted as he moved to lean against the headboard as requested and folded his arms around Anne's waist when she settle in against him. His chest was warm and solid against her back, and he pressed his cheek against her temple as he peered over her shoulder as she explained.

"You have my word," he whispered when she questioned his understanding of the situation. His heart both soared and sank as she opened the pages and found a passage for him to start with. Soared because it meant that legality aside she truly saw him as her husband and a man she could share this secret with. It sank because he felt she was sharing this long before he was ready and he knew exactly why - the faerie's prophecy. Someone would have to know to inform the next ruler these books existed, and Anastasia had chosen him.

His eyes followed her finger as she sought out a place for him to start and when he was ready he began to speak.
"And so it fell during the fifteenth year of the reign of king Tallard that the island nation of Sumea sent an envoy from across the sea." In spite of the fact that he kept his tone low in order to avoide the chance of being overheard, Nicoli's voice was strong, though he read slowly as if tasting each word to see if it was right.

"The man arrived on the fifteenth day after summer's start and while pleasing in manner and dress, proved himself to be something of a p-phil-and - philanderer, and was caught in a com-pro-mise-ing situation with Duke Devron's eldest daughter. Trade ne-go-tiations were brought to a halt -- "

"Yep!" Rebecca answered emphatically. "It's pretty small though, but it'll fit the two of us. The twins are in the nursery since they're still little girls, and my brothers have the big room. It's just the two younger ones in there right now, but sometimes one of my unmarried older brothers will come and stay in with them. Sometimes Jeremiah will come and bring his wife and son and then everyone gets shuffled around to make room, but that doesn't happen too often. Ma and Papa have their own room too. That's all on the top level. The ground floor has the kitchen and a big table for everyone to eat at, and a warm fireplace with lots of places to sit around it. The kitchen's kind of separate, but it's still mostly one big room. I think you'll like it!"

As she spoke Rebecca set about cleaning the flour off of her, folding the borrowed apron and putting it in the two wash basket, and collecting her shawl. That done she took Diana's elbow and led her out.
"Papa or one of my brothers will be waiting at the gate," Rebecca explained. "I'm a little late now but when I bring you I don't thing they'll mind, whoever it is. I'm not supposed to walk home alone so Ma always sends one of the boys for me. Or sometimes it'll be Pa if he was already . . . Oh look it is Pa. Papa, Papa, Diane's coming to stay tonight! you don't mind do you?"

Sure enough at the gate of the palace stood Sr Tristen, arms folded and a rather amused expression on his old face. He said nothing, only smiled and led the way.

Rebecca's house was not only all the way on the other side of the city, but about a mile outside the walls as well. There were several large, newly plowed, fields around it and the light from the fire twinkled cheerfully at them from the large front windows. There was another house or two nearby. Sr Tristen being a knight with no time for farming himself, let his fields for a percentage of the crops. The arrangement worked well as his two younger sons had taken on a liking for farm work and the farmers were more willing to let go of that percentage to people who had labored alongside them. The next oldest son was a squire in training and Tristen's firstborn was a knight like himself. The young man between those two was something of the black sheep of the family. That one had decided he wanted to be a bard and could often be found playing a flute or mandolin in taverns for coin.

"What do you think?" Rebecca asked as she led Diana into the large family room and gestured around at the log-plank walls that framed the stone fireplace with the cheery flames crackling within. There was a thick green rug on the floor and what looked like a wooden sofa with plush homemade pillows set across it for comfort. Tristen settled himself into an old rocking chair by the fire and leans back, closing his eyes.

The only other person in the room was Rebecca's mother who had just hung a kettle to boil water for tea.

Lampkin thought he knew exactly what Dotty meant, but it was safer not to comment on it, at least not directly.

"I hardly wish to do anything," Lampkin laughed in response as he served up the berries and cream, and lifted the lid from the chocolates so she might pick whatever was to taste. "I am currently in a position where I must simply do as I am told. Although early on I had thought that once she saw him for what he was, your queen would seek out a more suitable match instead. Short of faking a failed assassination plot carried out on his orders the only other thing I can think of is arranging for Saurella to arrive here so the two could be caught in bed together. Anton would not resist her long if at all. Question is would the queen care?"

He poured them both a glass of wine and sat back in his chair lazy trailing his spoon through his berries. "I know of half a dozen things that would guarantee he lost the crown if I could grasp anything more than rumor. But rumor alone would never be enough and I have been ordered not to act without proof," he admitted almost sadly. "Perhaps that's why i'm talking to you now. "I am at a loss. My hands are tied. I could use an outside opinion."

Last edited:
  • Love

"E-nig-ma. Not enig-ma." She pointed to the word and asked him to repeat it, then repeat the entire sentence so that he might further grasp the way it was meant to be used in a phrase. Anne was a spectacular teacher. There was no room in her lesson with Nicoli for unfair treatment--she spoke to him as if he were her pupil, with the occasional kiss and joke tossed in only because she was guilty of affectionate insanity, and her heart couldn't keep her away from him for long. "You have some improvement to do, but you're getting better. Now you know all about my grandfather's reign and the things he faced, as well as a bit of my father's."

She closed the book just as he had reached the page on Anne's birth.

"Well, that's enough of that. Now, answer me these questions--What does my cousin, King Orland of Paladia use on his royal banners for a sigil, and what is the main crop of trade in Castor out west?" She held up her fore and middle finger and wiggled them slightly, taunting him to answer the questions. "Answer incorrectly and I'll have to quiz you again, and then our round two will be delayed even further. There's a lot on the line."

The center room was wide to accommodate the large family, with a massive hearth and winding stairs that climbed up to a second level, no doubt where all the bedrooms were held. The warmth of the fire filled her bones and the comforts of home were littered everywhere--painted vases, flowers, paintings hung on the walls, clocks of fine make. It was clear that Anne had been paying Ser Tristan quite well for his service. Diana herself received a bit of payment each month, but not much considering Anne had allowed her room and board and paid for a potion of her family's rent every month. The spare coin she did receive was put more towards food and a new dress rather than anything else.

Happily, she gasped. "You live in a mansion!" she exclaimed, clapping her hands together excitedly. "It's great, Becky! It's so big! An' you've got all these fancy vases and li'tle thingamabobs and a lovely mum and a strong pa. You've got such a grand live 'ere, I'll bet. I'll bet me whole life's earnin's on it, every single--"

The back door swung open, and a young man of strong build and feature stepped in to wash the dirt from his hands. Diana froze where she stood, eyes wide, muscles locked in place out of sheer horror. "Evening ma," the young man said to his mother after kissing her cheek. "What's for dinner?"

The handmaiden stumbled backwards and hid behind Rebecca's cloak.

"The queen has a plan." Dotty took another bite of the berries and cream, licking it off her lips to give him a bit of a tease. The more he lusted for her as she spoke, the more willing he would be to drink in her information. "She has a way that will send Anton to the noose. Whether or not your patron or patroness wants that is none of her concern--this is a personal matter, you see. Anne won't stand for a simple charade with another woman in his bed or a botched assassination attempt. This goes much deeper, sweet Lampkin. Much, much deeper.

"Alas, I digress." She set the small bowl atop the table and popped a piece of chocolate in her mouth, licking her fingers seductively. "I don't know what she has in mind, I simply know that it will give you everything you want and more. Leondeal will be free from it's politics and Anne could call herself empress if she so dared, but of course you and I both know she has no interest in claiming the mountains for her own. However." Dotty stood. There were no more games laced under her dress and cute smiles, no more teases and taunting. She lifted her skirt and pulled a knife from her garter, straddling Lampkin in his seat and pressing the cold steel against his throat.

"If you're tricking me, Lampkin, you should know that the word of a scullery maid isn't going to help you should you squeal about our little discussion to someone else. Your word is as good as how close you keep me, and how close I keep you. I like you, I do. I really do. But if you ever seek to harm my queen or my country, I would spill the life from you right here," she said with a kiss kiss, "right now."​

• Love

"Hmm," Nicoli hummed as he pressed a few teasing kisses to the side of her neck, "Would you really deny your husband when he knows you want that as much as he does?"

His hands slid along her thighs and up under the bunched hem of her nightdress so he could massage the small of her back for her. At the same time he heaved a long-suffering sigh. "Though I suppose since you are Queen I shall have to answer those . . . King Orland's sigil is a white dove on a green field signifying the country's founding through peaceful negotiation, and the fruitfulness of their soil."

His fingers deftly found the knots in her back and worked them out in slow, even but firm circles, nudging her to lean forward a bit. "The prime crop of trade in Castor would be corn and other grains. Though they also do well with wool, milk and cheese from the sheep and cattle they graze on the land." He was at the base of her shoulder blades now, slowly working his way upward, but even as he gave answers he was fairly sure were right he didn't stop. He found he enjoyed taking care of her in this way, even if he was hoping for other things.

When he finished with her shoulders he lifted the nightgown completely over her head, tossed it aside, and then shifted to lay them both back against the pillows. It was a long while before either thought of anything other than their lover's embrace.

When Nicoli finally did crawl from her side and reclaim his breeches, feeling as he did so that should some interruption happen again he would be far more comfortable with some covering, he gazed lovingly on her dozing form as he dressed.

"Anastasia," he questioned suddenly as he finished with his laces and climbed back under the covers beside her, cuddling her gently so that his chest was once more solidly against her back. "Does it bother you at all, the eight years between us? Or that I'm comparatively uneducated?"

Rebecca jerked in surprise as Diana suddenly jumped and hid behind her. Simultaneously her brother froze and slowly turned slightly red, his somewhat shy nature taking over in front of a perfect stranger. Halfway through his sixteenth year the young man was built on the large side, both his parents were sturdy folk, and while his frame was excellent for hard work it also made him somewhat clumsy when it came to more delicate tasks. Having left a string of broken crockery, torn cloths, and accidental mud splashes throughout his younger years made him tend more towards caution and timidity than one might have thought upon first appearance. Now having Rebecca's new friend appear to be frightened of him did little for his self-confidence.

"Gods, Kristof," Rebecca whined, "Every time someone brings around company you act like something horrible is going to happen. And really, Diana," the girl continued trying to step out from in front of her friend, "I told you I had brothers. There's no need to hide. I wouldn't have invited you over if they were the rough type. Just pretend they're big cats. Shew them out of your way and ignore everything else."

"Rebecca, watch your language. Kris," the matron of the family flapped her apron at her son, "go wash up at the rain barrel please, and when you come back you can wipe your mud off my clean floor. One of you girls come and slice the bread for me please. The other can help me get the food on the table." And she bustled about with a stack of bowls and spoons, and a large pot filled with stew.

"TWINS!" the farmwife suddenly called once the table was set, shouting loud enough that Rebecca winced and covered her ears. "Twins, it's dinner time! . . . and where is that other son of mine!"

"There are several things you should know in return," Lampkin stated coolly. "First the Queen is not the only one with a personal vendetta against the man," he was calm though his eyes flicked downward to the blade at his throat. "Personally I think hanging is too good for the man considering some of the things I cannot prove had happened. And should her grace decide she would like the mountains there are many who would not complain.

"Second, there are already plans in motion that may or may not help her highness dependant entirely on the timing of her own and how open she is to communication between outside parties." He shifted slightly and then grunted as the edge of the knife pricked his skin drawing from it a tiny bead of blood.

"Thirdly, you are not the only one willing to take life for your cause. Fourth, if you should be the one to break the confidence of this night the death Anton will hand me will be slow and painful, I'd much rather have your knife and be done with it. So if that is your intention get on with it. No one will know I'm gone until morning anyway so you'll have plenty of time to clean up the mess. If not –" his eyes flicked downward again, but this time they were not aimed at the knife.

"If not then the last thing I have to tell you is this. You are a beautiful, loyal, and clever woman, Dotty, and seeing this side of you has made me only admire you all the more. You are by far the most desirable person I have ever had threaten my life but if you do not intend to take it, our present position - if you have not already noticed - has put me in the uncomfortable place of having to ask if you are either willing to switch to a more intimate topic, or return to your original seat."

• Love

"Uneducated?" Anne chuckled and turned in his hold to face him, cupping his face gently in her hands. "Lacking in smarts is something that can easily be fixed. With some tutoring and special assistance, that little problem can be fixed in no time and ReValya will have one of the smartest kings it has ever had. As for the age difference," she chuckled, letting her hands slip down to his chest, "I always kinda liked that about you. It's a thing I have. I know, it's probably weird, right?"

Anne didn't want to think about such things much longer. She changed the subject and laughed and joked and snuggled with her dear Nicoli de'Arbolshire, and when morning came she woke with him absent from her side.

Why can't he be stationed outside my door all day, she thought with a frown, so we might never leave each other's company?

Dotty gave the most seductive giggle she was capable of, keeping the knife where it was and brushing her lips every so lightly across his jaw. The voice that came forth was nothing more than a hushed whisper meant to ignite further passion between them. "How about I bring you to her, hm? Another time." She chuckled against the rich, delicious smell of his skin. "For now, I'm going to take my seat. My favorite seat."

She looked deviously into his eyes.

"You fed me honeyed cock for dinner, but there's another I'd like to put my mouth on."​

• Love

Nicoli relished every moment he had with Anastasia even when she fell asleep on him, watching over her rest just as he had for years before she had allowed him access to her chambers. When morning came he slipped from her side and replaced his armor as quietly as as possible having no wish to wake her after her scolding the morning before. Yet before he left the room entirely he paused with an eye on her desk.

They hadn't actually disturbed it much with their actions the night before, everything had been kept so tidy there had been plenty of room, and so it was relatively easy to find a clean sheet of paper and write her a note just barely able to see what he was doing in the twilight haze that filled the room.

Nicoli's hand was large and still bore the boyish look of one still learning to form his letters, half his words had been crossed out and replaced with those easier to spell and parts of the page were blotted, but his words were sincere.

Anast Dearest Anne,
I appolog am sorry I could not stay
But I will eag antici look forward to when I can next see your face.
Do not pick out something for tonight. I want to supr take you to see a place.
As I watched you sleep I thought of something I could do for you.
I will try to give entru instruk instructions (hope that is right) to Diana.
~N

The letter was sealed with a bit of wax and his own thumb print and then placed on the pillow beside her as he leaned over to gently press a kiss against her forehead. On the outside were printed the words "I love you"

That done Nicoli left to seek out his own bed, sleeping deeply and not even waking when a lone scraggly rider made his way to the palace gates very late in the afternoon.

Greagor was stiff from being in the saddle for hours. He was tired from having been awake the entire journey from Leondeal. He was hungry for there hadn't been time to stop for meals. His backside was sore, and he was on his fourth horse of the journey. Oh the other animals were fine, but his speed had required switching mounts and his faithful and loyal roan gelding had been left behind, spent, at the town at the base of the pass. Gods willing he would see his companion again. Now he was astride a tired palomino, clutching his once fine fur cloak around himself as he struggled to remain upright as he rode through the gate.

His cloak was still warm, still whole, but the weather on the ride there had been fierce and it would take a great deal of cleaning and care to get the cloth back into its original condition. Greagor was feeling a bit sore about that as well.

Entering the courtyard he about fell out of the saddle when he tried to dismount, staggering several steps and clutching tightly to the nearest guard for balance. Fortunately it was only Sir. Bran. A good man if a bit young.

"The Queen!" he gasped in a voice hoarse with want of water, "Please, I bring news she will want to hear."

A moment later Captain Oswin had reached his side and supported the exhausted man inside.

Last edited:
  • Love

A beautiful ring of laughter burst forth from the queen's regal throat. She clapped her hands and the rest of her court applauded as well, bolstering the young bard's ego as he gained Queen Anne's approval. The lad had sung beautifully indeed, rendering a perfect version of "The Little Princess" with nothing but his lute for company. In such a wonderful mood, Anne rose from her throne and personally thanked the bard for his performance in the middle of matters at court, even giving him extra payment for the encore she had desired. Progress was made on the legal front and plans were made for the eminent wedding day three weeks from the present date. Anne gave her elegant signature where it was required and gentle smiles when they were appreciated, and before long a grueling day of legislature was coming to a mild close.

"If there is nothing else to discuss, I'd--"

The doors swung open, and a limping Ser Greagor came forth to the center of the room. "Your Majesty," he stuttered out, but Anne had already risen from her throne in utter shock and horror upon seeing his condition.

"Ser Greagor?"

"My queen, it is urgent."

It was in his face, the severity and sincerity of words so far unspoken. She stood amidst the curious whispers of the crowd and briefly met the eyes of her husband-to-be, sitting kingly on a high chair at the foot of the steps to the queen's throne, but there was no time to waste. "Court adjourned." Anne picked up her skirts and descended the great steps which led to her royal seat, crossing the room and placing a gentle hand on Greagor's shoulder.

"To my chambers," she said softly, "so that we may converse in private. Gather Ser Tristen, Captain Oswin and Dotty as well. They will need to hear what you have to say."​

• Love

Anton had known for some time that something odd was afoot. He had expected the queen to be distant, even miffed after the manner of his proposal. Instead she seemed happy, distracted, preoccupied, exactly what he would expect if she had actually loved him, yet he knew that was not the case. Either she was far far better at the game and pretending to be who the mob expected her to be, or something else entirely was going on. Had he not know it was impossible he would say the woman had another suitor. That or . . .

Anton frowned and turned his gaze on her, fortunately just as one of her guardsmen entered in a rather disheveled state so the glance did not seem out of place at all. The man did not look good and Anton rose intending to offer a listening ear and his advice to his "beloved" but was waved back. That rankled. Now he was certain her odd behavior had nothing to do with him and everything to do with another.

"Lampkin," he ordered waving the man closer and whispering in his ear, "Her highness's behavior disturbs me. Follow her. Discreetly." And dependant on what Lampkin brought back, it might be time for another call to Saurella.

Greagor went directly to Captain Oswin who had stationed himself outside the court chamber doors after helping Greagor in. The captain then sent a page in search of the other two requested persons. In no time at all those the queen had asked for were assembled in the Queen's chambers and all eyes were fixed on Greagor himself as he told his story and shared the information he had been sent to find.

The exhausted man had been granted leave to sit on a low stool as he spoke, and he had heard Oswin inform the pageboy to ask the kitchens to have a meal ready when they were done. Greagor was looking forward to that meal. Especially if he could get a bit of Brandy's chicken. After that he wanted only a hot bath and a good night's sleep.

• Love

With each step Anne took in her ascension towards the Queen's Tower, her heart sank even lower through the pits of stomach until she feared she could no longer feel a thing. Greagor had a name, by the gods, after all this time he had the blasted name. It made her nauseous and sick to think that the bubble of love and joy she and Nicoli had been living in could so quickly burst and splatter to their surroundings, no longer existent, not even a shadow of what it once was. For a moment, she had to stop and lean against the wall to catch her breath, fearing she would wretch on the stone floors and alert the entire castle to her inner feelings of dread.

"My queen?" Anne felt a hand lay lightly on her shoulder in gentle support, and the queen grabbed Dotty's hand in hers. "My queen, you're not well--"

"I'm alright," Anne said with a teary smile. "I just...I know, Dotty. I know whst Greagor is going to say, I've known for some time but I never wanted to face that reality. I know, now. I feel it in my bones, Dotty."

"Oh, Anne." The maid cupped the queen's face in her hands and kissed her forehead, much like her mother would have done so many years ago. Oftentimes Anne thought that Dotty intentionally treated her like a queen and her own child, which would come as no surprise as the woman was over ten years her senior, but on a day like this Anne was receptive to the gestures of comfort. "Let's go to your room, hm? There we can talk about your plan of action."

"There is only one possible plan that I would agree to." The queen straightened her back and took a few deep breaths, taking Dotty by the hand and allowing the maid to give her strength. "Come," she stated. "The sooner I know, the sooner we can move forward."

Anne kept her doors open and said nothing until everyone was within her sight that she had summoned--Ser Tristen, Captain Oswin, Ser Greagor and Dotty. The maid closed the chamber doors and locked them when all were in the quarters and prepared for a meeting that could decide the future of kingdoms, the promises of war or peace, the difference between life and death. Anne stood on the balcony with hands folded calmly before her, back to the gardens, eyes gazing at her three most trusted knights along with her honored spy.

"...tell me, then."

"Your Grace," Greagor stated wearily, "I don't think you should--"

"I appreciate you trying to protect me from myself, Ser Greagor, but if it is anger and drunkenness that I must revert to than I suggest you allow me that right. You have my word that I will not go unsupervised."

"But--"

"Tell me." But she didn't need him to, with each hesitation Greagor supplied Anne knew what the name uttered would be.

She closed her eyes and clenched them shut, letting a sob escape her lips as the brave knight muttered forth the identity of their damnation.

"Arandon, Your Grace. Prince Arandon is held captive in Leondeal."​

• Love

Oswin nodded with each point as he listened, the captain soaking in every detail. He could see how exhausted Greagor was, and how each word seemed to sit on the Queen's shoulders like a weight. What he wouldn't give to have her permission to put Anton's head on a pike so this whole nightmare could be over. The moment he was free he was going to go to the barracks and send Nicoli to her. Even if it meant waking the man from a sound sleep. The girl needed someone to talk too and who better than the man she had drawn into her bed. Especially if she had been serious about making him her husband. If you couldn't trust your spouse then who did you talk to?

"A rescue must be attempted," Tristen said slowly as if judging the wisdom of each word as he spoke. "Before your wedding to Anton, highness, after that I'm afraid your brother's life will become expendable as far as Leondeal is concerned. And if I may be so bold, if I were you I'd be rethinking this whole matrimony business," he paused and jerked, then flushed, "Forgive me. I do not mean to over step or question your decisions I just . . ."

"Tristen is right," Oswin concurred jumping in, "Whatever action we take it must be done swiftly while we know Leondeal still has reason to keep the man alive. Greagor can you . . . no you need rest . . ."

"A good night's sleep and a hot meal will put me right as rain," the other man answered. "With that I can leave at first light if my Queen so wishes. Though to be honest I don't think I can go back and manage everything alone. If it's a rescue we're after I'd like to have you with me Captain, and at least one other."

"If I go my absance with have to be covered . . ." Oswin started thinking rapidly, and trying to formulate a plan.

"Odds are if they've got the prince there may be other prisoners of note . . ." Greagor started, but the Captain interrupted him.

"Dotty," Oswin questioned, "what information do you think you can get from that man of yours?" Behind him Tristen humphed but the captain only shook his head. "Don't be such a prude, man. If there's any information we can use at all I say we take advantage of it. Unless, your majesty," here he turned and gave a little bow to Anne, "you think otherwise?"

Last edited:
  • Love

"Nicoli will go with you, Ser Greagor."

Captain Oswin and Ser Tristen froze in their remarks, looking at the queen as if she had just grown a second head or her skin turned green. "Your Majesty, is that entirely--"

"He is the king." She held a hand to silence the gasps of Dotty and Ser Greagor. "It is time you knew the situation. Nicoli and I are very much in love and my heart, my body and my soul belong to him, as his belong to me. We have said vows before the gods, and while there is no legal document nor witness to our marriage it is valid all the same. It is clear now that I cannot marry Anton and I never will, however there is no reason to call the wedding off." Anne folded her hands in front of her and began to pace fidgeting as the plan boiled to perfection in her mind. "Anton must remain under the impression that I am to marry him. On the day of the wedding, when he is most vulnerable, we will present Arandon to him and declare him an enemy of the state to be placed under immediate arrest."

"That could work well," Dotty pondered aloud. "Lampkin has mentioned that his loyalties lie with a third party, someone who very much wants Anton off of the throne of Leondeal."

"He said that?"

"Many times, my queen. I even told him I would grant him an audience with you."

"Hm." Anne sighed. "I will take you up on that offer."

"Nicoli?" Ser Greagor stuttered. "...king?"

"Yes." Anne smiled sadly. "He will be the greatest king ReValya has ever had, if the both of us live through this ordeal."

"You will." Dotty frowned. "We'll all make sure of it."

"I certainly hope so."​

• Love