SITE UPDATES Important Notes and Things to Come

• Welcome back, Iwaku! While we are still working on the site to get it back into shape, we've come back online so you can get back to doing what you love. Check out this announcement for more details.

Astaroth

Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, darling.
ADMINISTRATOR
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Chat Roleplays
Posting Speed
Speed of Light, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
It varies a lot depending on my schedule, unfortunately.
Writing Levels
Adaptable
Genders You Prefer Playing
Primarily Prefer Male
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
I play what's needed, but I do like to take the lead. In my one-on-ones, I often like being the "Game Master" in the sense of creating the setting, controlling NPCs, and steering the plot. But I still like input and collaboration from my partners. In group games, I prefer to be the GM or to play a leading or mentor role.
Favorite Genres
I love a little bit of everything. My top choices would be Horror, Modern Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Magical Realism, Noir, Steampunk, Cyberpunk, Splatterpunk, Post-Apocalyptic, Historical, Mystery, old-school High Fantasy, and Sci-Fi (especially Spacesagas). I'd love to do some occasional Clockpunk or Weird West or Wuxia or Dieselpunk, too.
Genre You DON'T Like
I guess the only thing I don't particularly care for is high school drama, and even that can be fun with a good hook.
Hey nerds! We have some pretty important announcements today, so listen up.

First, a small (but important) announcement regarding a stickied resource in Help Desk:

Maybe DON'T use Stylish.

The browser addon Stylish was previously recommended there for users who wanted to set their own custom colors for usergroups on Iwaku. However, it's been brought to our attention that there has recently been trouble with the addon involving its data practices. In the interest of keeping our members safe, we wanted to let you know that you should consider whether or not you ever downloaded the addon and if you want to choose to keep it.

All is not lost if you like setting custom website colors, however. We did a little digging and found that alternatives are available. One of those alternatives that we found is called Stylus. It appears to be very similar to Stylish in its capabilities but without the questionable data practices and has very good reviews from users. This is now our officially endorsed addon for this purpose!

You can find the new sticky thread in Help Desk here.

Moving along, we have a series of related announcements. As some of you may have noticed, the on-site search function is borked. The good news is, we know what's wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. The BAD news is that the only way to fix it is to go ahead with updating the forum software to Xenforo 2.x.

This means a few things need to happen.

Save your Blog content now if you haven't already.

We will be updating to 2.x at the end of August/beginning of September. Once we update (as we mentioned earlier this year when we deactivated the ability to create new Blog entries), Blogs will no longer be compatible with the forum software. All Blogs will be deleted permanently and there will be no way to restore them.

If you need somewhere on the site to back up your content, you have options. Showcasing can be used for creative content such as plot ideas, stories, character bios, art, or roleplay logs. Roleplay Extras can be used for any content relating to your existing roleplays. The Coding Lab can be used to store a variety of content, including image dumps or WIPs.

If you want to be able to control who can see your content, getting a free blog through Wordpress or storing info in Google Docs might work for you. If you are interested in having more control and freedom for what you can post, paying for hosting through Atabyte and installing Wordpress software to make your own private blog might also be worth it! Atabyte also offers cheap hosting and free Iwaku subdomains for Iwaku users.

What is NOT recommended as a backup is Clans. Clans are permanently deleted after 60 days without new content, so unless you plan to post frequently, there is a good chance you will have to repeat this process all over again.

We'll be running this year's fundraiser coming very soon.

Obviously with the search function down, we have to update, and we need your donations to help cover the costs of all our purchases so Iwaku can keep as many of its shiny addons as possible. Especially because of the full version update to 2.x, we are going to need a little more than usual.

Fair warning, we may also be losing a few shiny things. If you're wondering why we hadn't updated before now, it's because many of our addons have not been updated for 2.x yet. Fortunately, we should be able to find alternatives for MOST things. Don't worry, no one is going to lose any actual content. We also may be getting a couple of NEW shiny things!

Keep an eye out for some shiny new announcements in August, including info for the fundraiser and a very special new contest as well!

Childish Grumpino

LET'S DO METH AND CHOP UP OUR NEIGHBOURS  ヲ 詠よ意イめフ
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
BREAK EVERYTHING. BURN IT ALL DOWN.

neobendium

The Freak With Extra Teeth
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Private Convo Roleplays
Posting Speed
Speed of Light, Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
Most of the time MST
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Primarily Prefer Female
Depends on the plot, really.
Favorite Genres
Mideval Fantasy, SciFi, Modern
Genre You DON'T Like
I'm up for mostly anything. But I don't really like voodo and lots of magic. Don't get me wrong, I like fantasy and dragons and stuff....just not the magic part. That's weird to me. And no demons.
Hey look I have money now that I'm almost a functioning adult. I might be able to contribute this time XD

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Male, Female
Fine doing both! Sometimes I end up aggressive, if no one else is contributing to plot, or if there's one person I feel like is taking over, but if everyone's contributing equally to the pool of ideas, I just let them go ahead and do it.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Slice-of-Life, Modern.
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, Psychedelic, Gory (gore I can handle as long as it's not gore for gore's sake).
SPECIAL NEW CONTEST HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH ROLEPLAY REALMS I JUST KNOW IT.

Astaroth

Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, darling.
ADMINISTRATOR
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Chat Roleplays
Posting Speed
Speed of Light, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
It varies a lot depending on my schedule, unfortunately.
Writing Levels
Adaptable
Primarily Prefer Male
I play what's needed, but I do like to take the lead. In my one-on-ones, I often like being the "Game Master" in the sense of creating the setting, controlling NPCs, and steering the plot. But I still like input and collaboration from my partners. In group games, I prefer to be the GM or to play a leading or mentor role.
Favorite Genres
I love a little bit of everything. My top choices would be Horror, Modern Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Magical Realism, Noir, Steampunk, Cyberpunk, Splatterpunk, Post-Apocalyptic, Historical, Mystery, old-school High Fantasy, and Sci-Fi (especially Spacesagas). I'd love to do some occasional Clockpunk or Weird West or Wuxia or Dieselpunk, too.
Genre You DON'T Like
I guess the only thing I don't particularly care for is high school drama, and even that can be fun with a good hook.
SPECIAL NEW CONTEST HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH ROLEPLAY REALMS I JUST KNOW IT.
I feel I should cut off this hype train before anyone gets too disappointed: It's not! This is something that has been previously mentioned, we're just reminding everyone.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Fine doing both! Sometimes I end up aggressive, if no one else is contributing to plot, or if there's one person I feel like is taking over, but if everyone's contributing equally to the pool of ideas, I just let them go ahead and do it.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Slice-of-Life, Modern.
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, Psychedelic, Gory (gore I can handle as long as it's not gore for gore's sake).
Ohhh. Boo. *puts my guess on BITE, instead.

Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
Afternoon CEST mostly, less active in weekends.
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced
Primarily Prefer Male, Primarily Prefer Female
Passive, mostly. Can be Aggressive if needed, though not recommended.
Favorite Genres
I like most. It's the plot that decides.
Genre You DON'T Like
Libertine, mainly. As mentioned above, the plot decides.
IWAKU GETTING AN APP CONFIRMED?!? (Gone wrong) (not clickbait) (almost died)

Dipper

Cookiemaster
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Shake a tin of dice and tell me what numbers they give you.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Male
I bounce between the two depending on the roleplay.
Favorite Genres
Sci-Fi, Fantasy, an assortment of Fandoms.
Genre You DON'T Like
Anime, Furry, Drama, Modern Fantasy
I will absolutely see if I can scrounge up some cash for the fundraiser. We'll see, hopefully I haven't spent everything on games and food.

Also NEW CONTEST?

admins pls stop you're making us nervous with excitement

Astroblaze

Traverser#824|The Ally|Autobot|Knight of Doom
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
A Few Posts a Week
My Usual Online Time
9am-9pm every day, though availability within that span depends on IRL activity
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Adaptable
Male, Female, Androgynous, No Preferences
Neutral, passive leanings
Favorite Genres
fantasy, sci-fi, superheroes, action, adventure, combat, science fantasy, supernatural, hurt/comfort, modern fantasy
Genre You DON'T Like
honestly I haven't yet found a genre I specifically don't like

Astroblaze

Traverser#824|The Ally|Autobot|Knight of Doom
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
A Few Posts a Week
My Usual Online Time
9am-9pm every day, though availability within that span depends on IRL activity
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Adaptable
Male, Female, Androgynous, No Preferences
Neutral, passive leanings
Favorite Genres
fantasy, sci-fi, superheroes, action, adventure, combat, science fantasy, supernatural, hurt/comfort, modern fantasy
Genre You DON'T Like
honestly I haven't yet found a genre I specifically don't like
Hmm, I was thinking about starting a blog for some OC shenanigans. Good thing I didn't.

Nero Kunivas

One Who Throws Buildings
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Sometimes Passive, sometimes Aggressive. Direction and being Directed is fine with me.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Magical, Fantasy-Futuristic Mix
Genre You DON'T Like
Romance.

Jorick

A thought often makes us hotter than a fire.
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige, Douche, Adaptable
Male, Female
Usually aggressive, but can switch to passive if it makes sense for the character/scene.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy is my #1; I will give almost anything a chance if it has strong fantasy elements. Post apocalyptic, superhero, alternate history, science fantasy, some supernatural, romance, and a few fandoms (especially Game of Thrones) are also likely to catch my eye.
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, western, pure slice of life.
I would love this but I'm guessing probably nah
I'll go ahead and destroy all hope here, because I enjoy killing hope.

There are no plans to get an Iwaku app made any time in the foreseeable future. The main reason for this is that a lot of work was put in (particularly by Diana) to make sure the site is mobile friendly, so we don't really have a need for an app for usability on mobile. Notifications are also not a huge issue since you can always set it up so you get notifications sent to your attached email address, and that allows all sorts of additional notification options depending on how you choose to set up your email, so that's also not a reason to make an app. Then, third but still an important factor, making an app takes either experience in app development or money to pay someone who does have that experience; we lack the experience, and because of the above two reasons we don't see sufficient reason to throw money at app development when it could instead be spent on maintaining the site as is or buying new useful features.

TL;DR no app now, no plans for an app, and it's unlikely there will ever be an app.

darkflames13

Fancy Coding Fucker
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays
Posting Speed
One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
9PM ~ 2AM (GMT + 8)
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced
Male, Female, Androgynous
Genre You DON'T Like
Yuri. Yaoi. Furry. Mecha.
Will the update be affecting any of the bbcodes we have? o:

Kitti

Empress of Niflheim
ADMINISTRATOR
COMMUNITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige, Douche, Adaptable
Male, Female
Will the update be affecting any of the bbcodes we have? o:
We're still working really hard to find as many alternatives as we can to keep all our shinies (even making puppy eyes at some devs) but some of the addons that we have now that we're struggling to find alternatives for do have to do with some BBcode :( Like I said, we're still working on it, though! Nothing is for sure yet.

jared555

Hostman / BOFH
SERVER TECHNICIAN
DONATING MEMBER
I'll go ahead and destroy all hope here, because I enjoy killing hope.
TL;DR no app now, no plans for an app, and it's unlikely there will ever be an app.
And last time I tested one of the popular free prefabricated apps back when Iwaku was much worse on mobile there were a couple major security issues with it. So before anyone makes suggestions, I will kill that dream too.

Diana

Owlmageddon comes. Ò◇Ó
BENEFACTOR
Roleplay Invitations
My Usual Online Time
5PM - 5AM Daily
NO APP FOR YOU GUYS

BUT

THERE WILL BE SOMETHING ELSE EVERYONE HAS BEEN REQUESTING SINCE FOREVER. 8D

Childish Grumpino

LET'S DO METH AND CHOP UP OUR NEIGHBOURS  ヲ 詠よ意イめフ
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
'GRUMPY GETS TO BAN WHOEVER HE WANTS' THURSDAYS?!

Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Afternoon CEST mostly, less active in weekends.
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced
Primarily Prefer Male, Primarily Prefer Female
Passive, mostly. Can be Aggressive if needed, though not recommended.
Favorite Genres
I like most. It's the plot that decides.
Genre You DON'T Like
Libertine, mainly. As mentioned above, the plot decides.
Roleplay bots that write better than humans?

Holmishire

Ghost with no home.
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays
Posting Speed
One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
Late night PST
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Advanced
Primarily Prefer Female
Passive > Aggressive, but a mix.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Superpower'd, and some Sci-Fi.
Genre You DON'T Like
Anything heavily sexualized or silly. I tend to avoid hard sci-fi, horror, and slice-of-life roleplays.
We're still working really hard to find as many alternatives as we can to keep all our shinies (even making puppy eyes at some devs) but some of the addons that we have now that we're struggling to find alternatives for do have to do with some BBcode :( Like I said, we're still working on it, though! Nothing is for sure yet.
Once you guys know which bbcodes will be dropped for 2.0, would you be able to let us know? Even if it's after the update, it'll help to know what to look for.