4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
  4. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy. Harry potter. Vampire. Apocalyptic. Magical. Super powers. Trouble teens w/ powers. Psych wards. Werewolf. Zombies. 4 Horseman.
I'm going to keep this rather short, if I can.
I'm looking for a new book series. I'm into that fantasy/ struggle jazz. To better categorize what I like to read I just listed a bunch of stuff I have already read. Does anyone like the same type of books and genres? I'd love some suggestions on what to read next... I'm god awful with authors so bare with me here.

The Hunger Games
Harry Potter
The Red Rising series
The Peculiar Children series
Ready Player One
Night Circus
The Maze Runner series
The Divergent series
The Amber Project
An Ember in the Ashes
Twilight(From waaay back in my high school days. I enjoyed how it was written and I enjoy Stephanie Meyer. Sparkly vampires are just ridiculous.)
The Immune
Phoenix Island

Hopefully you get the basic idea :) I'm a sucker for a good series.

• Love
Reactions: Dekonic
You could try The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski. I enjoy what I've read so far. If you like a gruff dude taking on beasts from who knows where I recommend it. 's all right.

Reactions: AmethystWallflower
This is my bias, but I suggest the Wind Singer/ wind on fire trilogy and the Artemis Fowl books. Both are fantasy in their own way and feature different struggles. They're books with younger protagonists though.

The former is a custom setting and the latter is 'if mythical creatures were real on Earth and lived in a secret underground society'

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest the Wind Singer/ wind on fire trilogy
*hugs and tries not to cry*

You're like... the only other person besides myself that I've ever seen mention these books. Like... ever.

*composes self*

Tamora Pierce's books ie her Tortall series as well as her Circle of Magic series are pretty awesome for those who love fantasy.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
The Enemy series by Charlie Higson is a good one. The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is another good one and is one of my favorites. I could probably think of more if I was not so tired right now.

I would definitely recommend Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo! It's a fantasy young adult book set in a fictional place called Ravka inspired by Russia! Superb storytelling, awesome details! I recommend reading it at least once to see if you like it! :3

The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher is fantastic.

Also, would suggest you pick up some books by Brandon Sanderson, Elantris and Warbreaker to name two.

Karen Miller has a great series she compiled in the Godspeaker omnibus.

Also, there's a two book selection I've read you might be interested in... Its called uhm... Blood Magic and then Night of Sin. Pretty neat. I cant recall the author at this time.

Cirque du Freak is a decent series, but sorta aimed towards a teen audience.

There's also the Vampirates series by Justin Somper.

And then The Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix.

Judging by that list, I don't think I'm going to find us exchanging books anytime soon. LOL I don't pick up many books in the YA genre anymore.

However, I think I can recommend the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld with fair confidence, if you don't mind a more steampunk flavor. If you haven't read anything by Markus Zusak, do yourself a favor and read up! The Book Thief is his masterpiece, but I Am the Messenger is a fair reading as well, as long as you don't compare the two books.

Now, if you don't mind a few sex scenes in your novels, the Three Sisters and the Hawkins Hollow trilogies by Nora Roberts are fairly interesting with a fantasy/struggle founded in our modern day world. This is coming from someone who's never been a fan of the entire love schtick as a cure-all for curses and the like. Regarding the sex scenes: I didn't feel like I was reading smut, which is hard to pull off.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Tamora Pierce's books ie her Tortall series as well as her Circle of Magic series are pretty awesome for those who love fantasy.
Some favs:

My favorite Tamora Pierce books are the Trickster books (two books) (also The Legend of Beka Cooper books - three). In particular, the Trickster books are so much fun. Smart-ass, clever girl raised by a spymaster father and a knight mother - in the midst of classic fantasy drama: swords, sorcery, gods, etc. I found the Trickster books wonderfully written and funny as well as full of action.

Nine Princes in Amber "Nine Princes in Amber is a fantasy novel and the first in the Chronicles of Amber series by Roger Zelazny." Will never forget this series. Though it got a little murky for me towards the end with the add-on books.

Three to Dorsai!: "Three novels from the Childe Cycle: Necromancer, Tactics of Mistake, & Dorsai! - Dorsai! is the first published book of the incomplete Childe Cycle series of science fiction novels by Gordon R. Dickson. ... Dorsai! was nominated for a Hugo award for best novel in 1960." Especially liked Tactics Of Mistake and Dorsai!.

Sharon Shinn: Start with Mystic and Rider if you try these. "The Twelve Houses series is a fantasy novel series by Sharon Shinn. These books are notable for their marriage of two distinct genres: Sword and Sorcery and Romance." Fun stuff, well-written.

Elizabeth Moon: "Deed of Paksenarrion" and about five or so related books in the series. Good stuff, later books a bit dense but still enjoyable. Paks rules! I got my hands on the trade edition (below) that had three books in one. Used books, should be cheap on Amazon. Start with that one. Later books star other characters in the series, mainly, with Paks making guest appearances.

-The Deed of Paksenarrion is an epic fantasy saga. "Never in our experience has a new author burst upon the sf/fantasy field to such immediate enthusiastic recognition as Elizabeth Moon with her fantasy trilogy, Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, and Oath of Gold."

Honorable Mentionings:

Maggie Stiefvater "The Raven Boys" three books series - fun read, though I expected more, ultimately. *This is the only "modern world" setting series that I'm recommending in this post, sorry. Could probably come up with more given time.

P.C. Hodgell - The Chronicles of the Kencyrath or The Godstalker Chronicles. Starting with "Dark of the Gods." Never got my hands on all of them, but enjoyed the sometimes cryptic Dark of the Gods and a few others.

Surprise, surprise! Cassandra Clare's "Clockwork Angel" "Clockwork Prince" "Clockwork Princess." The Infernal Devices. I found this series better written than her main series (the Mortal Instruments). "The Infernal Devices series is a prequel to the Mortal Instruments series, and contains some of the character's ancestors." Entertaining and I like stories set in 1800's England.

Lastly: If you can stand a fantasy series that will take your entire lifetime to be completed by the author, then: Michelle Sagara's series "The Chronicles of Elantra". I've given up on this ever ending and probably (not definitely) won't continue to pursue. There's some good stuff here and it can be fun, but the slow development of the main character makes me want to shoot myself. Though it may not irk everyone.

That's all for now, though not exhaustive of my list.

Reactions: Greenie
100 Years of Solitude - Nobel prize winning literature.

Wheel of Time series - epic, overly descriptive, yet for some reason it keeps me reading. On the 4th book.

I'm diggin' just about every one of these. I may be in for some serious reading for quite some time now(not that I'm complaining ha! Thank everyone! I shall never run out of another reading suggestion again lol

Status
Not open for further replies.