How to rp without pissing off the partner? Or shortly: How to rp well?

R

Reina

Original poster
How to rp without pissing off the partner?
Or shortly: How to rp well?

One word. Improvisation.

Improvisation is what RP is all about. Even though people usually connect this word to actors who play their `shows´ on stage, you could think about your (and your partner's) rp as your `stage´. In a rp, you're the actor who will make an interesting, working play together with your co-actors. Though you better remember this: Improvisation isn't just a chaotic mess with every player doing their own things only. Actually it's quite the opposite. It does have rules of some kind. Real actors can't do everything they want in the plays either, even if they were supposed to improvise. They have to follow the basic rules of improvisation.

Also, follow the premise! You can't take a story from future, year 2359, to an old pirates hip from 1800 -century. Putting some thought to this, it sounds ridiculous, and you might think "who on earth is that stupid?", but trust me. There are people who make even worse, and more ridiculous jumps on the premise.. *sighs heavily*

When another player has said something, for example that his character leaves the room, you can't just write that your character continues talking with him. He has left the room for god's sake! You can't change it anymore! I've seen this happen on many forums, (not pointing fingers) and it's never a good thing. I'm not saying that I haven't made this mistake myself in the past too, on my newbie times, but please. Try to pay attention to what the other one is writing. You'll leave the other player annoyed and frustrated if you don't. This rule also ensures that the rp is non-contradictory.
This doesn't mean that the characters can't argue though. ("We'll go this way." "No we won't! I want to go this way") It just means that you have to accept whatever the other player writes about the environment. HOWEVER! It's totally acceptable if the host of the rp (Host is the person who made the topic and the original post in case you didn't know) repeals things that don't fit in with the premise, or the whole rp.

AVOID DEAD ENDS!!

Now, to get more specific on interacting with characters: have every post you make in some way respondable by another player. It's pretty self explanatory. You want the RP to go back and forth as much as you can while moving the story along. Avoid dead end posts! Those are posts where no one can easily respond. Even if they are theoretically able to be responded to, it doesn't mean it's going to be easy and therefore fun for the other parties involved.

It's a little difficult for me to give you an exact example of a dead end post, since it varies so much based on context. I will attempt, though. (Wish me luck! Thanks. I appreciate the luck.)

So two dudes and a lady are having a pleasant conversation, when one gentleman makes a rather sexist remark and insults the lady. She makes a post where she storms off in anger, and the two gentlemen, who have nothing really in common, have a very hard time making conversation, and the RP eventually dies. So, where then, was the dead end post? Why, the part where the lady storms off! Although this is indeed a plausible reaction, it still causes a chain of events where ultimate end is the death of an RP. (Hence the name: dead end! Pretty clever, huh? I'm glad you agree.)

What should have the lady done? Good question! In this particular instance, the person playing the lady should have told the insulting gentleman how insulting he is, and start a debate on sexism, or at least in some way continue the conversation. This is much better! Keep conversations and scenes going on as much as you can, but when they start to drag, transition easily and smoothly to the next scene. It's an art, so it takes some practice! So get out there and start practicing!

DO. NOT. GODMOD FOR GOD'S SAKE!

God Modders have been a burden of rp's for a long time, and they can really annoy other members who like to develop their story gradually at a decent pace, only for the story to be taken on an unusual sidetrack or finished prematurely and undramatically. Trust me, I've seen those people, and they really ruin my day. No-one wants to play with a God Modder.

Okay, well the opening sentence was a bit wrong I guess, of course roleplaying isn't all about impovising only. There are a whole lot of other things you have to keep in mind, but that's to be waited from the next guides.

Remember that role playing is working together with the other player to make a coherent and good story!

I could be nagging about things for an eternity, but I don't want to make this post too long, so that you people still want to read it. Pretty simple things, right? Just try to keep these `rules´ in mind when you rp, and you'll do just fine. :)

~Love, Duchess

I apologize if I'm not suppose to post here. I agree. I have something to add. Partners should talk with one another about their thread together. This helps in case one may get stuck or no ideas come to mind at the moment. It follows what you were mentioning about God-mod, there's nothing worse than someone going ahead with something without talking to their partner to see whether or not it is okay.

No worries, thank you for your comment ^^ I appreciate it. You commenting something like this means that I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

Reactions: 2 people
I came back to read this thread of mine and found lots of writing mistakes, sorry for that. I will correct them all tomorrow.