how to get rid of the "gay lisp"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andrew21234

Yes I know this is like my third post on my voice....but I'm just so tired of it. So after doing some research and stuff I have found that my problem is not necessarily my voice not being deep (although I wouldn't mind a little deeper) it is that I have what society calls the "gay lisp" it isn't extremely bad but enough that most people wonder if I am gay (I'm not and it gets old people asking after a while) so anyways does anyone know how I can get rid of my "gay lisp"?

52d22e80e4bcc41e2e0a794a6bf23c2f.jpg

In all seriousness, don't focus on it, or worry about it, or think about it being there. Just enunciate as clearly as you can. Don't worry that your voice isn't deep, or deep enough! Just enunciate the words properly.

I also found this also really awesome video.

Reactions: Insomnant
I could suggest speech therapy, voice acting class or even a public speaking class. I've taken them for school and they teach you how to be confident, speak clearly, and avoid that upspeak a lot of us do. If you have a more cartoony voice like me, play that up.

But, you should probably just accept your voice. It took years for me to accept mine and this is after I had some people delete me from Skype when they heard my voice for the first time. If people are pointing out your unique voice and continue asking the same questions about it, then maybe you shouldn't talk to them anymore.

And, I've notice most always sound...well...worse when on Skype or on the phone than in person. If that's the case, just text and only talk in calls if its absolutely important. That helped me a lot.

And, I've notice most always sound...well...worse when on Skype or on the phone than in person. If that's the case, just text and only talk in calls if its absolutely important. That helped me a lot.

This might also have to do with the way that everyone kind of hates the sound of their recorded voice.

Like, have you ever heard your own voice played back in a video or something and thought "Wow, that's my voice? I sound horrible". Turns out, there's a good scientific reason as to why just about everyone hates the sound of their own recorded voice until they get used to it.

You see, when you hear your own voice as you speak, sound is traveling in two ways -- the first is through the air to your ears, and the second is directly from your throat, through your bones, and into your inner ears. This creates a unique blend of sound that only you can hear. Everyone else hears only the sound that travels through the air. That's why people often think their voices sound weird when recorded; you're only hearing the part of your voice that travels through the air, the way everyone else usually hears it, and it sounds strange to you because you're not used to it.

I don't know if your self-consciousness about your voice was in any way caused by hearing it recorded, OP, but, if that is the case, I figured this would be a useful bit of science to share with you. Your voice might sound awful to you when you play it back, but only because it's off from what you're used to. (Oh, and the only-travels-through-the-air component of people's voices tends to be slightly higher-pitched than the unique blend that only the person speaking can hear. Make of that what you will.)

I could suggest speech therapy, voice acting class or even a public speaking class.
Was going to suggest this as well. Also going to add singing to the list. :) Take a choir class, join a singing group, or just sing regularly at home!

As a fellow lisp-er, I can understand how it feels to be uncomfortable with it. My mom put me in speech therapy for a few years and it sort of helped. I purposely didn't put in too much effort for it though, otherwise it probably would have been more than 'sort of' helpful. Reason being, I was constantly bullied by classmates for having my speech impediment. And my mom would tell me that by having my lisp, no one would want to hire me for a job or take me seriously. For a while I believed her and constantly felt shamed because of my fellow peers.

One day though I decided, fuck them. Fuck ALL OF THAT. The way I talk is fine. Admittedly I let it be as a way to defy my controlling mother, but also I just learned to love myself the way I be. So I agree with those who say you should learn to embrace the voice and lisp you have. Do what you can to improve it, but don't make the goal to eliminate it. And like others have mentioned, recorded voices tend to hear not-so-great anyway. Don't sweat that, man.

Edit:
Also, I used to have a friend with this 'gay lisp,' as you call it. He constantly was asked if he was homosexual even though he was straight, and never ever let it bother him. Just thought I'd mention you're totally not the only one. :)

I am such that none gives a fuck about the sound of someone's voice.

If it's bugging you so much, then just use sign language. I don't understand why you would be worry about the sound of your voice.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Temet Nosce
Status
Not open for further replies.