How do YOU write your posts ?

• Welcome back, Iwaku! While we are still working on the site to get it back into shape, we've come back online so you can get back to doing what you love. Check out this announcement for more details.

Sakura

Official Iwaku Little Sister
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
After 5PM EST weekdays
Writing Levels
Elementary, Intermediate, Adept, Advanced
Genders You Prefer Playing
Female, Primarily Prefer Female
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
Instinctively passive unless the story needs a push. I adapt as needed.
Favorite Genres
SciFi, Fantasy, Modern, Twist Genres.
Genre You DON'T Like
Mature, Horror (with rare exceptions)

So I've been wondering, how do you write your posts for a roleplay ?
What are you thinking about as you write ? Do you correct your errors as you go or once you've finished ? Do you think about every sentence or write what comes to mind ?

Is there a set method to posting ? Is there a better way to go about it ?

~Let me here your thoughts :D

Xnijmai

THE PROTECTOR OF THE LOVE AND PEACE OF HELL!
Uhhhhhh....

Uhhhhhh...

Uhhhhhh...

I'll get back to you on that.

Vay

The Empress
BENEFACTOR
Male, Female
Mostly active but I don't mind taking a back seat.
Favorite Genres
Mostly Fantasy and Sci-fi, though I’ll do anything if the plot is good.
Genre You DON'T Like
See above.
I tend to think on the character's mood/personality for a few seconds before I start to write, I think about their perspective of the situation and try to picture how they would react. I try to picture the scene in as much detail as possible and will often listen to music as I write, I have mood playlists as well as genre playlists. I correct as I go and I know I should proof-read more but I don't really like reading my own work, if that makes sense.

Asmodeus

Gazorpazorpdeus
Posting Speed
Speed of Light
- Imagine it as a movie scene
- Play it out in your head a few times
- Imagine the dialogue
- Imagine yourself watching the scene and what feelings you would have
- Write a series of cliches that trigger those feelings
- Word and punctuate to make it flow
- Spellcheck

When you write, you're not exploring the characters, the setting or the story. You're exploring the AUDIENCE.

C

Corvus Corax

I do not recommend my way!

Here is how I go about posting:

Step one: I panic!

Step two: I get rid of msn/aim/yahoo/the cbox. (I'm easily distracted.)

Step three: Open word, and write it there. (I'm over paranoid about typos...they get under my skin.) I type what pops into my head. After that...more panicking.

Step four: I check over and over and over what I've written. (I care about what people think way more than I should.) when I get fed up with checking my post I copy paste...and then....panic!

Step five: I end up forcing myself to click on the post button after changing the color and font of my text.

P

Pirogeth

- Imagine it as a movie scene
- Play it out in your head a few times
- Imagine the dialogue
- Imagine yourself watching the scene and what feelings you would have
- Write a series of cliches that trigger those feelings
- Word and punctuate to make it flow
- Spellcheck

When you write, you're not exploring the characters, the setting or the story. You're exploring the AUDIENCE.
Oh my god Asmo really? That is nearly precisely how I make a post. I run it through in my head with the appropriate background music. Then after getting into about the right emotional state I am able to make a post. I sometimes catch myself reading out the dialogue myself in a crap attempt at the character's voice.

Diana

Owlmageddon comes. Ò◇Ó
BENEFACTOR
Roleplay Invitations
Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
My Usual Online Time
5PM - 5AM Daily
I AM THE OPPOSITE OF ASMO!

I am not exploring what the Audience perceives. Since I'm not writing a story, I'm roleplaying, I'm looking at the scene through the eyes of my character. What THEY see, what THEY feel, think and do.

I usually already have a few ideas in mind on how the scene is going to do "If this happens then my character would..", so when it's my turn to post I just see what's happened and then react. I love to plot, so I'd be daydreaming ideas until it was my turn. >>

MOST of the time I would know exactly what to post and just... type it out quick! Then the obvious things of proof-reading, spellcheck, etc.

On those occasions I get stuck (for whatever reason), I go back and read the thread again. Then I try to figure out why I'm stuck so I can get past that and then figure out what to post. Usually I'm just frustrated with the roleplay or been too busy to plot, so it hangs me up. >>;

Blind Hemingway

Big "WHAT?!"
BENEFACTOR
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
NEVER
Writing Levels
Adept, Douche
Primarily Prefer Female
SCREW THIS. I'M CHAOTIC STUPID. I LOWER MY TROUSERS AND WIZZ ON THE KING.
Favorite Genres
Surrealism, Surreal Horror (Think Tim Burton), Steampunk, Sci-Fi Fantasy, Spaghetti Westerns, Mercenaries, Dieselpunk, Cyberpunk, Historical fantasies
Genre You DON'T Like
Yaoi or Furrisms, DnD, High Fantasy, romance. Straight up Horror.
I'm on Diana's boat, but even when I write stories I do it all for myself and not the general audience until someone is interested in it. I like day dreaming and I simply write comes to mind, sometimes it is good, sometimes it is meh. I think of RPing as a chance to take a look at worlds that never were and explore them as someone you never will be. As for spell checking, I try but I can't always fix all my errors. :cow:

I

Ike Sapphire

Really all I do is just go with what ever will come up in my head. I always make my spelling corrections after I'm done but from time to time I will correct it in the middle of typing. I really don't know of a better way of going about it.

Hydronine

The Murrstress
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige, Douche, Adaptable
No Preferences
I'm fine with doing both, but it depends on the situation and how comfortable I am with the RP, plot, or subject matter of the RP.
Favorite Genres
Scifi, Fantasy, Modern, Magical, Horror, Noir, apocalyptic, Grimdark, yaoi, yuri, anything really.
Genre You DON'T Like
Uhhh..... That's hard.
Julez BEFORE Iwaku:

"Hahahaha" The hamster walked away.

AFTER coming to Iwaku, and stalking Asmo's awesome posts:

"Hahaha!" The wicked and cruel hamster guffawed before crawling off into the inky darkness of the hall , his right leg dragging because it was fake.

-That is was usually happened.

I learned a lot from Asmo, Ryker, Woodrat, and Palonis, ect. way back when about basic roleplaying.

I try to view the happenings and my character from both view points, like toggling the view point f seeing your char in a game, verses seeing it through their eyes.

Asmodeus

Gazorpazorpdeus
Posting Speed
Speed of Light
This is why Diana and Rory suck.

They never learn...

G

Glazer

I open up all sorts of tabs (one tab for OOC, one for IC, one for my posting and one for CBOX INSANITY), and Word. I get a thorough understanding of what's going on, then I think about it for like a day before I type it out, read it over about 4 times and post! Then I stick around a little, and usually edit it once or twice more. THEN I AM DONE! This is a good idea for a thread, by the way. Some of your post-writing techniques are something I might implement to try to improve the quality of my posts!

Apocaric

Dragoon Ex Machina
Neutral (Scene-aggressive, plot-passive. I do not make a good GM.)
Favorite Genres
Space Opera, High Fantasy, and Post-Apocalypse; Action
Genre You DON'T Like
Vampires, yaoi
My technique is similar to Glaze's, though there's a lot less post-production work that goes into mine. If I'm on a roll, I can even just slap it into the QuickReply box at the bottom, though I'll usually go advanced before I actually post it anyways, just so I can see the preview.

As to my creative methods - I watch a scene play out in my head like I'm on the set of a movie. Then to get a post out, I have to backtrack, writing the script followed by the novel adaptation, occasionally tweaking things as the scene gets re-blocked for the 37th time.