CHARACTERS How do you feel about recognizable faceclaims?

Verum Rex

I Still Exist
Original poster
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Private Convo Roleplays
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Genders You Prefer Playing
Male, Female, Transgender, Androgynous, Primarily Prefer Male
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
Both, but I have a strong tendency to take action and initiative. I will only play passive when someone else is developing an important part of the story that I don't want to accidentally derail.
Favorite Genres
MxM; Fandom; Fantasy; Horror; Surreal Mindfuck; Alternative Sci-Fi.
Genre You DON'T Like
Slice of Life; War or Historical settings which require extreme accuracy; HIgh Fantasy or Sci-Fi that has a billion pages of lore or technology that must be memorized.
This is something I worry about whenever I'm making an OC. I try my best to avoid using images of characters that are obviously TOO well-known (Cloud Strife, Goku, Daenerys, etc), but sometimes I find that the closet fit for my OC just happens to be a canon character from a game/anime/movie that my partner(s) might be familiar with. My distress stems from the thought that people will either not be able to see past the character they recognize, or that they'll feel like I'm ripping off a much cooler character somehow with my shitty OC using their image.

So the question becomes: what do you honestly think/feel when you see a familiar face being used as someone else's OC?

Jorick

Magnificent Bastard
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige, Douche, Adaptable
Male, Female
Usually aggressive, but can switch to passive if it makes sense for the character/scene.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy is my #1; I will give almost anything a chance if it has strong fantasy elements. Post apocalyptic, superhero, alternate history, science fantasy, some supernatural, romance, and a few fandoms (especially Game of Thrones) are also likely to catch my eye.
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, western, pure slice of life.
I hate it unless it's a fandom roleplay and they're playing that character... in which case I won't join it anyway because I loathe those sorts of roleplays. 8D

There is just so much good art out there that I can't see it as anything but laziness when people use recognizable characters as faceclaims (and same goes for images of celebrities when using real people faceclaims). Roughly 9 times out of 10, in my experience, they also just end up playing their interpretation of that character in the setting at hand rather than playing a truly original character. I'm not sure if it's intentional from the start or just a matter of gradually leaning that way because of the image they're using making them think of a character in certain ways that they did not originally intend, but it's really annoying. Even in the roughly 1 in 10 times they don't do that, it's still highly annoying if I'm familiar with the character because then I have to work hard to try to separate existing character from new character in my mind.

In literally every instance of it I have seen, I would rather someone give a purely text description of their OC than use an existing character as a faceclaim.

• Love
Reactions: Chum Is Fum

Indabayou

America's Next Top Cryptid
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays, Private Convo Roleplays
Posting Speed
One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
weekdays 8pm-11pm, weekends 1pm-1am EST
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Advanced, Adaptable
Male, Female, Futanari, Primarily Prefer Female
Both. Mostly passive in rp styles I'm not familiar with, but I like to contribute ideas and work in plot elements with my partner.
Favorite Genres
modern, scifi, superpower, modern fantasy, slice of life
Genre You DON'T Like
horror, historical, crime/mafia/gangster, furry
For me, it's harder if it's an animated character that's familiar, since they're only ever known from being in the cartoon/anime/whatever they're in. Real life actor face claims are easier to reconcile because playing many different characters is what actors do anyway- so what's one more role in the grand scheme of things? That being said, I do try to use lesser known faces at times, but it's not a deal breaker if someone uses a well known fc.

Adrian

Papa Bear
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
A Few Posts A Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
Writing Levels
Give-No-Fucks, Adept, Advanced
No Preferences
Aggressive
Favorite Genres
High Fantasy, Low Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Cyberpunk, Horror, LGBT+, Steampunk, Comedy, Post-apocalyptic, 80s, Thriller, Modern, Romance, Tragedy, Drama, Space Opera, Political Intrigue, Coming of Age
Genre You DON'T Like
Furry, Yaoi, Anime
Not a fan. I don't like using recognizable face-claims myself, just cos there's so many art/models out there to choose from. Seeing famous celebrities/cartoon/anime as face-claims kinda makes it hard to suspend disbelief, if you ask me.

StareNation

Sarcasm Queen
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced
Primarily Prefer Male
aggresive
Favorite Genres
romance, drama, slice of life, crime, horror, some fantasy
Genre You DON'T Like
fandoms
im not a fan of fc's. I'd rather use the descriptions alone so that people can formulate their own picture in their minds of the character. I feel like using a face claim detracts from the work you put into creating the character in the first place

The Mood is Write

Mom-de-Plume
SITE SUPPORT
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
11PM to 2AM EST, plus or minus a few hours in either direction.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige
Male, Female, Androgynous, Primarily Prefer Female
Combination.

My strengths lie more in the direction of emotions and short-term ideas, where my ability to plan out long-term plots is weak. I do best with a partner who helps me cover that weakness.
Favorite Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like. My absolute favorite is mixed and multiverse, but I'm not limited to those.

• Mixed Genre
• Multiverse
• High Fantasy
• Hard Fantasy
• Low Fantasy
• OP Fantasy
• Science Fantasy
• Modern Fantasy
• Soft Scifi
• Science Fantasy
• Low Scifi
• OP Science Fantasy
• Modern Realistic (Strict)
• Modern Realistic (Loose)
• Urban Fantasy
• Alternate History (Fantasy Preference)
• Post-Apocalyptic Mixed
• Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
• Post-Apocalyptic Scifi
• Post-Apocalyptic Modern
• Dystopia
• Displacement
• Military
• Dying Earth
• Supernatural
• Drama
• Mystery
• Horror
• Religious
• LBGT
• Crime/Detective
• Parody
• Comedy
• Tragedy
• Romance (Must Include Others)
• Erotic (Must Include Others)
Genre You DON'T Like
The list is short. because it's hard to find genres I don't enjoy.

• Yaoi/Yuri (Gay/Lesbian is fine!)
• Furry
• Fandom
• Historic Non-Fantasy
I don't mind faceclaims, but I prefer if they aren't recognizable, and I'll let my partner know if they are.

My personal preference is to use art I own or dollmakers, if I must have a visual. The latter is pretty fun to make!

Noctis the Devious

Of Lies and Stories
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
Sporadically, Though out the Day
Writing Levels
Give-No-Fucks, Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
No Preferences
- Aggressive
- Passive
- Depends on how I Feel
Favorite Genres
- Modern/Magical/High Fantasy
- Paranormal
- Romance-ish
- Supernatural
- Original
- Fandom
- Action
- Adventure
- Espionage
- Apocalyptic
- Alternative Reality
- Genre-Bent Reality
- Steampunk
- Cyberpunk
- Dieselpunk
- Magipunk
- Sci-fi
- Superhuman
Genre You DON'T Like
- Historical
- Modern Slice of Life
- Most fan RP's that use pre-existing/canon characters.
For me, personally, using recognisable/popular FCs makes it difficult to separate the character from the FC. As Jorik pointed out, either creators will subconsciously lean towards working certain personality traits from that FC into their OC or people will come to have an expectation of how that character will be played. That, and there's always the risk of people liking that character just because of the FC, not because they like the character themself, which is not as fun as it may sound.

Joan

"You'll never be alone."
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
Anytime I have internet access, honestly.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Male, Female, No Preferences
I do like to have a hand in the plot if I can, but it doesn't matter that much.
Favorite Genres
Science fiction
Modern
Fantasy
Horror
Survival
Naturally developed romance
OC Fandom (ask about my fandoms!)
Genre You DON'T Like
Romance-centric/Pre-planned romance
Sex-centric
Furry
Trope-y anime
Fandom with canon characters
Plain slice-of-life
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of popular and easily recognizable FCs. My experience is that people who use them do often have a hard time separating character from FC, as well as often using them for "eye candy" rather than an accurate depiction of the character.

That said, while I generally prefer realistic art, I think FCs can be used to great effect as well. It all comes down to what the GM prefers, what 1x1 partners choose, and what best conveys the character. I do prefer obscure FCs or FCs I don't recognize when I'm using FCs, however. If somebody tells me they recognize it, odds are I'll find something better.

I do like to have some sort of visual depiction of my character, simply because it helps my writing process. Realistic art fits my preferences best, so I typically use that.

Aero Blue

he hears his master's voice
Posting Speed
One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
5-11 EST weekdays, anytime weekends.
Writing Levels
Give-No-Fucks, Adept, Advanced, Douche, Adaptable
Androgynous, Primarily Prefer Female
Switches have more fun
Favorite Genres
Superhero, urban fantasy, space opera, crime thriller, supernatural
I dislike it, and it's further exacerbated if the fc I'm familiar with has a very distinct personality. Sometimes if the dc belongs to someone that's mostly generic, innocuous, or else just vaguely known to me, I can bear it.

As a whole, my biggest issues with this extend to real person fcs.

One Who Tames

Spread the Love
I do not require character art from my players and I do not give a shit what they look like other than for the purposes of NPC/Character interaction. If a RP demands overly stylized post templates I typically will not bid to join it.

Chum Is Fum

Wumbologist
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays, Private Convo Roleplays
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, A Few Posts a Week, Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
Adept
Male, Primarily Prefer Female
passive
Favorite Genres
modern, fantasy, slice of life
My views are directly in line with Jorick Jorick
I hate the use of canon characters and real faceclaims are just as bad in my opinion.

sun.

What good is just one wing?
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays
Posting Speed
A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Primarily Prefer Female
It varies, slight tendency towards passiveness. Can do either.
Favorite Genres
Anime-esque concepts, sci-fantasy, adventure, cyberpunk, high-fantasy, Victorian fantasy. comedy slice of life
Genre You DON'T Like
Pure romance, smut, koreaboo stuff, hard sci-fi
Depends entirely on the extent of popularity and the way the person handles it. If it's literally, like, Naruto or whatever, then I dislike it. If it's just a rather popular character that is then a.) well portrayed and b.) different enough, I don't mind it.