Horror Role-Play Idea...Maybe...

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Literary_Dreamer

Rêveuse Littéraire
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
  3. No Preferences
Genres
I love vampire role-plays. I like sci-fi with a distopian plot. I like yaoi quite well, but I do het pairings just as often. A touch of romance is good but I prefer romantic comedy to straight romance.
So, my sibling was showing me a photo from the internet, as so often happens, which was accompanied by a true story (the people on the site checked) that was really kinda creepy. Well, I was sceptical and, with my background in history and Google, I was able to establish that the story was not quite as true as the site had claimed (the story was almost completely a legend and there is no proof whatsoever behind the claim to veracity). The legend is still very creepy and my first thoughts (after my research) were, "Role-play! But how?" So that's why I'm here.

This is the legend:

In the 1800s, there was a man named Edward Mordrake (or possibly Mordake). Edward came from one of the most important noble families in England. He was a bright scholar and talented musician. He was also handsome, from the front, that is. On the back of his head was another face, twisted and ugly. It didn't eat and made no sound, though it could change is expression and cry, even appear to laugh. Those who saw it believed that it must have had its own dark personality because it would smirk and laugh as Edward bemoaned his condition. Edward certainly believed that it did because he swore that it kept him up at night, whispering evil things to him until he begged doctors to removed it. None would do so and, driven mad by his "devil twin", Edward took his own life at the tender age of twenty-three, leaving instructions that the face be destroyed before his burial so that it would not keep whispering to him in the grave.

Pretty creepy, huh?

I don't know how to put this story into a role-play and I'm not sure I'd want to play it even if I did (I've got plenty of role-plays going on right now) but I thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion and maybe a prompt for someone looking for inspiration.

If I'm not entirely mistaken, that's a character in I think two episodes of American Horror Story Freakshow. I do suggest you watch that series, because it might give you some ideas.

You are correct, though the story is much older than that, first appearing in a 19th century book about medical curiosities.

~Lorien

Status
Not open for further replies.