Horror Movie Weakness

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitti

Are you easily scared by horror movies or do you yawn right through?
Are there one or two particular movies that really push your "nope" button?

Reactions: Amaranth
Hmm... It varies. I suppose I got a bit desensitized to the traditional elements of horror, but what often still gets me is 1) the fear of the unknown, and 2) the subtle buildup of something that you know is going to happen, but you're unable to predict when or how. >.< In other words, when a movie hits a point beyond predictability, that's when it really can get to me, but once I am able to anticipate/predict what happens, the movie starts to become a bit of a "yawner" to me.

I cannot think of a horror movie that's actually scared me. I've been disturbed by some of them, but not scared. Usually, it's psychological horrors with extreme violence that disturb me. My hubby was watching 'I spit on your grave' the other day after I dozed off, and I happened to catch the end of it, definitely couldn't go back to sleep afterward. It was entirely too gruesome.

There is only one horror movie that is a definite 'Nope!' for me and not for reasons people might think. Kujo. I will not watch Kujo. I won't even read the book. Not because I think it'll scare me, but because the dog is a Saint Bernard which is my absolute favorite breed of dog. I can't watch the movie then look at a Saint Bernard later on and picture it as a killer. It'll break my heart.

I love horror but I'm the sorta person who watches them when it's bright outside and I can easily pause and take breaks. I also keep the volume on low because sounds get to me even more than jump scares.

One movie that did get to me was Vacancy. I remembered it quite a bit earlier during May when I was travelling cross country and had to stay in small motels like the one in the movie.

Reactions: Shiri
Horror doesn't generally bother me. I've watched so many horror movies that by now, I think I've become jaded. However, I do recall watching something that was both surreal and gory-- those two, apparently, were enough to unsettle me. So I guess my weakness is surreal gore.

Oh yes, I get scared quite often. I love it. It helps relieve the tension of everyday life. I am more bothered by the movies that that unsettling slow burn. Bonus points if the ending makes me feel gross in a good way.

My nope button is Audition. I own it and I have watched it twice too many times. That slow build has an amazing payoff. I don't really drink milk much anymore. That's how much it bothered me. It is quite possibly the prize of my meager horror collection.

Strangeland is another nope button. I'm glad I watched it once, but that was enough. Oddly the absurd amount of hooks and impalings it has is not what first comes to mind when I think of the things that bothered me about it. The smaller tortures are just burned into my memory...and Robert Englund...and Dee Snider. Such a strange movie. lol

Satanic made me yawn. There wasn't enough substance to it to make me anything besides bored. It was just "Omg there's Satanists, be spooked!". And their version of the Devil was just a hand that touched the main character's face. A slow cheek poke to suspenseful music is not scary no matter how dark you make the scene! Where's my payoff?!

Reactions: Legens Legentis
One movie that did get to me was Vacancy. I remembered it quite a bit earlier during May when I was travelling cross country and had to stay in small motels like the one in the movie.

Very well, I must try this. I go to motels enough. lol

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Greenie
Me with horror movies:

giphy.gif

I can appreciate movies like Aliens, Slither, Peemak, Cube etc.
But I don't actually get scared by them. They never manage to pull that off for me.

Games such as Amnesia though? Those will get to me, mainly cause you don't have the characters as a layer of distance, you're the one being chased and hunted down.

Games such as Amnesia though? Those will get to me, mainly cause you don't have the characters as a layer of distance, you're the one being chased and hunted down.
That's why I'd never be able to play those kinda FPV horror games... you never know what's behind you.

I can appreciate movies like Aliens, Slither, Peemak, Cube etc.
But I don't actually get scared by them. They never manage to pull that off for me.
I love Slither. It's definitely not scare material. I need to remember to get that movie.

I don't think I've ever watched a "genuine" horror to be quite honest. All of the horror movies I've ever watched (three, in all in my entire life) have been either funny or crappy.

Horror does not bother me, actually... I hate gore, but mostly because I'm irked by it than because it scares me. I do like to watch horror movies, specially once I find one that I really like (which is, sadly, quite rare).

One thing scare me to death though, horror movie or not - clowns.

Oh, how I hate clowns...

I'm the sorta person who watches them when it's bright outside and I can easily pause and take breaks. I also keep the volume on low because sounds get to me even more than jump scares.
Me^

I don't really watch horror movies. I value my sleep. But if I do have to watch it...see above.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
Horror movies are generally pretty enjoyable for me, particularly thrillers. I don't lose sleep over them, but they're good entertainment.

Horror games are a different story. Amnesia-style games where you can only run and hide frustrate me; I want to fight, and eventually it sort of just kills my immersion and mood. Action horror games like Dead Space are fan-fucking-tastic though. I was crying half of the time while going through the original Dead Space, even though I murdered my way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.