Holiday Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitti

Television shows love to do holiday special episodes. Some of them are great, some of them are tongue-in-cheek, and some of them give us warm fuzzies.

What is your favorite holiday special episode?​

Friends always did great holidays' special episodes, they always made me feelsies >:[

Another show is The Fosters because it's pretty fucking heartbreaking to see foster kids being snatched from their new forever home for stupid paperwork nonsense.

• Thank You
Reactions: Greenie and Kitti
This is more of a Holiday Tradition to me than a special, but every week I would watch Nightmare Before Christmas or How The Grinch Stole Christmas. I might end up trying to force all of Iwaku to join me in this ritual because these are classics that must never be forgotten.

Reactions: foodforpigs
I like watching the stop motion Christmas Specials. I have most of them on DVD (I think I'm missing only Jack Frost? And the new one about the miser brothers can screw off. it don't count. Doesn't have the charm.)

Garfield Christmas is probably the one I can relate to most. The family dynamic in it is so genuine, and reminds me a lot of how family gatherings used to be for me.

In my opinion, Futurama has some of the best holiday specials.
I like Futurama in general, though.

With @Kitti on Futurama specials. For movies I'm going with A Christmas Story. I'm going back home this Christmas, and watching the all day showing of that movie is one of the main reasons.

Reactions: Kitti
I can't think of any episodes off the top of my head but I do have movies I'll watch traditionally like Home Alone 2 and Jingle all the way.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I do love how Doctor Who manages to bring us a new Christmas special every year, even though most of them are only tangentially related to Christmas. XD

Seriously though, I do look forward to seeing the new Doctor Who Christmas special every year, just because I'm such a big fan of the series as a whole. :P I usually don't even go in expecting much of anything Christmas-y. I just look forward to what will hopefully be a good episode of the series in general. XD

But, some years they do some clever stuff with it. Like the 2013 special, which revolved around a town that was called Christmas. You know, so like, the Doctor saves the town from aliens and then you can say that "the Doctor saved Christmas???" Ahahahah... hah... clever.

And then there was the 2014 special -- the plot and premise of which can basically be summed up as "Alien meets Inception meets Santa Claus". ...Because that needed to exist, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In general, though, I'm kind of just amused by the very fact that this show has a tradition of making a new, only-somewhat-Christmas-related special each year. XD

Reactions: Kitti
I'm not really fond of Christmas movies or specials, but I'm always a sucker for The Simpsons regardless of what it may be. For Christmas one year, my sister and I got a DVD collection of all The Simpsons related Christmas specials and I tend to watch those at least once during December.

Status
Not open for further replies.