Hired by the Spymaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spymaster

The elf was staring with wide eyes at the clearing in front of them, she had followed the lizard and the orc as they were walking out of town, and she had tried to be silent about it, though something told her they had known she was there. Once they had started approaching the camp she had been forced to join up with them however, she didn't feel like being spotted and shot full of arrows by a mercenary walking around in the woods. The camp had proved to hold a bit more people than she had initially thought. She couldn't count all of them, but those she could see numbered above 50. What irked her the most however, was to find the Beak "testing out the troops" as Z'haeer put it. Some of the guys resting from obviously having lost against him were more than twice his size! She had known that he was a master assassin, but not a fighter as well, it put her earlier attempt at his life in even clearer perspective. He could have easily broken every bone in her body without trying. Though it seemed he hadn't come unharmed from it, one of his wings looked like it had been crushed by a falling tree, its feathers pointing in different directions.

The Vakhaw straightened, carefully taking his eyes of the second xyrian he had been fighting against, he had only managed to down one of the black-scaled mercenaries. Their stamina was not to be trifled with. One of his wings had taken a couple of nasty hits, and it was broken in a few places, trying to catch the drop of an orc or a xyrian had proved not a good idea. Though the ones who had actually proved the bigger challenge considering pure skill had been some of the goblins, they had managed to avoid being captured by either his wings, talons or claws. And the assassin in him saw targets he could not capture as more of a threat than targets that didn't go down after many times the amount of hits.
Turning around towards the approaching Z'haeer, Ripgut and the elf who so far kept herself hidden behind them, he reached his broken wing in front of himself and set it straight. The bones crunching audible as they were forcefully put back in the right direction sent a jolt of pain through him, though the adrenaline damped it considerably. He would let the wings be untied for a while to not set wrongly, though he still let them fold behind him, the four-jointed wings hurting like whips when they hid.

"Thats not..." her voice trailed off as the Beak broke his own wing right again, she didn't understand what kind of person could do that without showing any signs of discomfort or pain. And the elven assassin had watched fellow trainees broken bones be put back by their trainers, all of them had screamed when the absence of any drugs had been used as a way to harden them. The man she was apparently going to follow an undetermined amount of time hadn't even blinked.

"Oh, you broke it up just when things were getting interesting. But yes, your company is all that I had heard. It will be a pleasure working with them." the last was said with a wide smile, showing of the teeth inside the mans beak, some of them soaked in blood from the fighting, and not all of it his own. He cast a glance around the whole array of faces around him as he picked the cloak and other things up with the talons on his feet, not having to bend at all. The small sharp objects seemed to be blades of some kind, though it was hard to see where one would hold them.

The soldiers started mumbling among each other again, and most started returning to what they had been doing before the newcomer came and added some more excitement to the fights. Money changed hands once more, as bets had been settled, though a few argued quite loudly, not quite agreeing on who won the final fight.

"Good to hear. I don't want to disappoint this early, after all. I will say, you seem to be a stronger fighter than your looks would suggest. Which only makes me wonder who exactly we will be fighting once we get to that..." Z'Haeer chuckled, before looking over his shoulder to Bars. "Start telling the men that we're moving out at sunrise. Oh, and get some extra bedrolls ready near my tent. Or are the two of you not staying with us for the night?" He asked, looking from the elf to the Vakhaw.

The Goblin sergant came sauntering towards the new guests and the boss, having pulled on a pair of pants, and having her towel tossed around her shoulders, letting it hand down her front as she ruffled up her hair a little more, before starting to tie it up in a ponytail. "So this is the newest boss, I assume, and his... Servant?" She guessed, smiling teasingly at the Elf.

Spymaster

The Vakhaw added a small smirk of his own as the lizard mentioned the prospect of what enemies he would put them against.
"I am simply in the need of trusty numbers. And the elf can sleep where she wants, I'll..." the Vakhaws voice trailed off as the female goblin stopped a feet away from them. He unconsciously made himself stand a little straighter, showing even less of his fatigue from the sparring. It had been quite a while since he saw someone as appealing, just the right amount of muscle showing through her green skin. "I'll sleep where I find myself, I thought I should try to greet your men." he wasn't looking at the lizard while he finished his answer, but other than his eyes his attention didn't seem diverted quite as much, his hands and talons still re-fastening his various little trinkets to their places, and his cloak to his shoulders.

As the elf noticed the half-naked goblin she could feel herself gaining color, how could such a beauty walk around like that in a mercenary camp, even she could see the glances most of the men were giving the young woman, even she was getting a few looks, and she wasn't nearly as openly displaying her skin. The look the Beak gave the female as he continued putting his things back was enough to make the color of her face go away however, it was as if he had instantly disregarded anything but the goblin, his eyes not wavering in the slightest.
"Servant? Now wait a minute." the goblin mercenarys tease brought the elven assassins full attention to her, making her want to spill the whole story in her face, if only out of her pure frustration for the current situation. But she was silenced by the Beak lifting a hand to interrupt her.

"New trainee, very new. But you are truly a lovely sight, my reports did obviously forget to mention a few things. What should I call you, miss?" he said as his eyes went over the goblin from head to toe, silently cursing the fact that she was wearing the towel. If the Vakhaws voice had been dark and full of carrion during the day, it now came out as the complete opposite, light and clean as a mountain river. But it was still his voice, and the steely base hadn't gone. Which his now "trainee" didn't miss out on, thinking that he would probably sound the same and be just as appreciative if it had been particularly fine prey under his talons.

"I'll sleep here, thank you Z'haeer." a look around had made her decide that she would not want to be alone in the woods with these men close by. And apparently that would have to include the Vakhaw. Another shiver went through her spine as the Beak cast a quick glance at her, as direct and piercing as the one he had given the goblin.

"Set her up in my tent Bars. I have a feeling she won't have to sleep in her armor then." The Golblin said with a smile aimed at the elf, before she turned to the Vakhaw, looking him up and down, before giggling slightly. "As for you, beaky, you won't be finding your way to my bedroll tonight. Though you can call me Deadeye. Not cutie. Not little darling. Deadeye." She said, rather sternly, before softening up her voice quite a bit. He seemed to be rather... Well, not what most would consider attractive, but she'd seen worse.

"I have a feeling I'll be seeing you around here though, so I'm gonna go get a bit dressed. Then you won't be too busy staring at these!" She giggled as she reached up under the towel, cupping her own breasts and giving them a squeeze, before she turned around, started walking away, and took off her towel, to dry her arms a bit more.

"So, what will you be doing until morning comes then?" Z'Haeer asked his new employer, starting to walk towards his tent. "I can offer tea at my tent. And I could introduce you to my last sergeant, if you wish." He offered, as he started walking off.

Spymaster

The Vakhaw appreciated the direct way of the goblin mercenary, and he liked her name as well, he would have to ask her how she got to be known as "Deadeye". Though what she did next was even more alluring. He would enjoy traveling with these mercenaries, thinking of what could come to pass he started walking up beside the lizard, his mind already focused on the work again.
"I am considering learning the face of all your men, and women." mentioning the last more as an afterthought. "Herbal? And yes, I would very much like to meet... Smiley was his name?" only the three front figures of the company had been named for him. And he was curious as to the xyrian named such. Looking over his shoulder he saw the elf having followed Deadeye, he would have to train her if she was going to become an asset, though it would have to wait a while, so he turned his full attention back towards Z'haeer following him further into the camp.

Having realized the lucky turn of events her situation had taken, the elf hurried after the beautiful goblin female. It was amazing how she could act so secure around these mercenaries, and how she had acted towards the Beak! As if she was teasing him. Having caught up to her after a few moments she begun to thank her, but got a bit distracted by her naked upper body.
"Thank you for allowing me to sleep in your tent Deadeye, I... umm, that is, how can you be so unfazed by all of them staring at you?" while it didn't come out as she had intended, it was what she most wanted to know, hoping to change herself, if she was going to travel with them until the Vakhaww was done with his exterminating of traitors within the Thread, she couldn't go around feeling like a charged spring.

Z'Haeer smiled slightly as he found the Vakhaw to have paid attention quite well. He entered his tent, a fine, blue structure, with a table and some chairs, as well as a bedroll with a overabundance of pillows, as well as some chests and other containers inside. He sat down in one of the chairs, and lit a fire in the small brazier under the teapot. "Indeed, it's herbal. I make sure to collect some every time we pass the swamps I call home. No other teas have been as pleasing to me as it. A taste of home, I suppose." He said, as he threw back his hood, revealing a head without any spines or horns, which was rather rare among his kind.

He raised a hand and conjured a small fly, which flew out the flap again, flying off to get Smiley. While he waited, he poured them both a cup of steaming tea, and looked at the bird. "So, what will our first enemy be? A small army? Or are you just planning to use us as thugs against smaller groups, or even single persons?" He asked with a slight smile.

"Discussing enemies, are ya?" A deep, booming voice asked from the flap, before a huge Xyrian came through. As he straightened, he could be seen to be even larger than Bars, with scars tracing all over his exposed scales, and a maw that truly made it obvious why he was called Smiley. Huge fangs, which seemed to have room for a whole adult person's torso between them, and as long as most people's hands. Yet even if he seemed threatening, he was smiling slightly. "Cause dat's a topic I like." He chuckled.

"Ah, right. This is Smiley. Or, Xarn the Ravager, as he's actually called. Xarn, birdy, birdy, Xarn. Actually, what is your name?" Z asked, leaning slightly towards the beak.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Confidence." Deadeye said simply. "I know I have a body many a man, and even some women lust for. And I also know that I could easily kill most of these guys in a one on one. And as if that wasn't enough, I'm the sergeant under Z'Haeer. I'm as safe as I can be!" She said, as she tucked the edge of the towel into her pants, so she wouldn't have to hold it. "Besides, who doesn't love some of these out in the free? I know I do!" She asked, cupping her breasts again.

"Anyway, what can I help you with, tall and blonde? Actually, tell me your name, then tell me what you need." She asked as they reached her tent, where she grabbed a shirt that was hanging outside it, and slipping it on, and hanging up the towel in it's place. While the shirt certainly covered her quite a bit, it was made with a rather deep clevage, just the way the teasing Goblin liked it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spymaster

The Vakhaw followed Z'haeer into the mans tent, looking around at the unusually homely interior. There were a couple of chests and containers, maybe holding the lizards magic tools and ingredients as well as his clothes and other equipment. The herbal tea made him realize that he was quite thirsty after the sparring, and he would have liked to simply sat down and enjoy a cup of it. The messenger spell the lizard used was intriguing for him as a fellow mage, it seemed to be a highly energy-effective use of calling upon someones attention. He preferred to use conjured ravens and the like, able to relay whole orders as well as some thinking capacity of their own, and he also had a few familiars.

"I'll have you tell me the range of that spell, and as for our first target..." interrupted by the huge xyrian entering the tent he felt a grin spread on his face, mercenaries had such a positive outlook on battle. And they would need it. Hearing the leader of the company present him and Smiley for each other made him rack his brain for a little something he had forgot to decide.

"I think I'll go with Fehr during my stay, though if anyone prefers to call me something else I won't complain. And yes Smiley, your first enemies in my employment will be a bandit-camp under the wing of a Thread broker, earning him a bit of money from poor traders and the like. He needs to be shown that his influence is not yet big enough for such folly." Fehr said as he put out a hand to shake the big xyrians, the bones and tendons creaking as it grew as big (if not as thick) as the other mans. The bandits would prove a good test of the mercenaries skills as a company, and it also gave him time to prepare for the Scorcher.

--------------------------------------------------------

The elf once again gained a little color as Deadeye showed off the firmness of her breasts, it was something she herself couldn't imagine doing where others might see. Though with the position the goblin held among the mercenaries, and the confidence she obviously held it may seem as a simple thing. Being called tall and blonde sounded strangely in the elfs ears, she wasn't tall, and blonde was a stretch as her hair was more white than any golden color. But it made her feel a little better about herself when the goblin sergeant said it.

"Thil'ierra, and... do you think you could teach me some about the mercenary trade? It doesn't seem like I amount to much as an assassin, and I don't see where I would use those skills now." she said, admitting it for herself hurt more than she had thought it would. But seeing the Beak made Thil'ierra realise just how inexperienced she was, and if her blunders from before were any indication, she would probably have it easier to try and attack someone face to face. The brooding thoughts made her a bit less flushed when she saw Deadeye's choice of clothing, though it still made her conscious of her own body in a way she normally weren't.

"Bandits... Humies in need of a good slaughterin? Elves? Some orra lil' things that scream loudly and taste good?" Smiley asked with a wide grin, cracking his knuckles slightly. "Now, now, Xarn. They're bandits. That usually means that they're a mixed bunch. So you and your boys will have a fine, varied meal after the battle." Z'Haeer said with a smile in return, before turning back to the table and Fehr and lifting his cup, and taking a sip of it.

"A large army then?" He asked simply. "A small band of rabble, or a huge band of thieves, whores and other people who would be welcome in Murk-wood?" He asked with a slight smile, and taking another sip of tea. "Bandits tend to be more bark than bite, but with enough barking, someone might go deaf, after all." He asked, as he summoned a small flying insect again, which flew up onto his head, seemingly starting to pic out small things from between his scales.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thi'll... Tilly it is!" Deadeye said cheerfully, as she sat down and leaned against a barrel. "And hey, I'm more a assassin than I'm a mercenary. I'm just grouped up with a bunch of them. Me and my boys, we don't fight head on as long as we can avoid it. We can fight head on, yes. But it's not our strongest side. Especially against armies." She explained, reaching behind her, and pulling her weapon belt closer to herself, to pull free a kukri, looked it over, and ran a finger over it. "And heck, you've already been trained as an assassin, I'm guessing. And you should refine that, rather than just giving up on it. If you fuck up an assassination, you can possibly still win the fight after that, or at least flee. As a failed soldier? You're placed at the front, to absorb the arrows of the enemies." She explained, as she pulled out a small grindstone, to start sharpening her blade. "And it's easier to keep practicing than it is to learn something new."

Spymaster

Fehr grinned back at the xyrian, he liked the big fellows enthusiasm, and he couldn't very much lie to himself about the fact that he also saw most others as food. Though he didn't eat them, most of the time, he did something much much worse. Looking back at the lizard his hand shrank back to its normal size, a meager bone-magic, but still something that had proved surprisingly useful.

"No, but they are a few times larger than your own company, and they should consist of some individuals having received proper training." the Vakhaw said thinking back on the reports he had been given before deciding that he would care of the situation in the Thread by himself. It seemed to be the best decision he had done in years. Though he was beginning to feel drained from using a couple of more advanced spells, his wing currently being healed without him having to think about it, but it still used his powers. Sitting down and pouring himself some of the herbal tea he tried to remember what he would need to fight a fire-using high mage like the Scorcher.

"The bandit hideout is located a day or so outside of the Murk, off the western road. You are familiar with the old ruins on the mountain?" Fehr had a hint of anger as he mentioned the ruins. Another reason he wanted to eradicate that part of a traitorous Thread-members activities were due to the location the bandits had picked as a base. It was an old Vakhaw settlement that reached all the way up to the mountaintop. It struck on what love he had for his heritage, he would see them scattered among the ruins.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thil'ierra felt her mouth turn up as the goblin gave her a nickname, it made her feel at home as it was one of the nicknames she had been known by while training to become an assassin. Being told that Deadeye shared her profession only made her more happy, and the other woman's encouragement worked to ease her earlier dark mood.

"Thank you, I thought I knew the ins and outs of it, but failing my mission to kill the Beak. I'm starting to think I greatly overestimated myself, I mean, I was the quickest among those I trained with. But against him, it wouldn't make a difference." while she didn't realize it herself, the curse she had received from attacking Fehr with the intention to kill him still hadn't disappeared from her, and it made her see him as more of an epitome than she normally would have.

"Eh, a bunch of rabble with a few people who actually can fight. It's not much to worry about. So, go ahead, Smiley. Go make sure the boys and girls are ready to leave by tomorrow." Z'Haeer said with a slight wave of his hand, to which the huge Xyrian simply bowed, and left.

"I have an interest in what came before, so I have been at the ruins, yes. Seemed to be a Vakhaw settlement that was abandoned at some point. Well, it could have been anything that drove them away, really. I'm not that good at such studies. But I am sure it was the home of your people once. Quite impressive ruins, really. And quite a hard place to fight. Those who know the place will have a advantage, as will those who rely on not being seen. I think my little personal group of assassins could do rather if we send them ahead of us..." He chuckled, already starting to lay battle-plans from his memory of the architecture of the place.

"Are the ruins important to you? Do you want them to be left standing, if possible?" He asked distractedly, as he was deep in thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You were the best... of the recruits. And you were sent to kill someone who can fight all the boys in our little group. I think we can say that someone overestimated you. Or underestimated him. Or a mix. It's hard to tell sometimes." Deadeye said, taking a look at the edge of her blade again. "Anyway, what's your weapon of choice for the killing? Dedicated to one? A bit of many? Jack of all blades, master of none?" She asked, as she ran a finger along the edge, and finding it to be sharp enough. She sheeted it, and pulled out her second kukri, only to start sharpening it as well.

Spymaster

Fehr looked up from the tea, which had turned out to be as delicious as it smelled, what was the lizard thinking of doing with the ruins if they risked not remaining standing afterwards? And after only using assassins for the task, not that it was such a big issue even if the ruins on the ground were destroyed, the important buildings of a Vakhaw settlement were always located all but unreachable unless you had wings.

"As long as you don't go in thinking that you hold the upper hand, every fall begins thinking you are on top, khaw khaw. And I care only for the nests higher up, your men can rampage to their hearts content." he said smiling at Z'haeer. "I know the layout of the place though, so let me explain for those you decide to scout it. Oh, and how far does your knowledge of the my peoples magical arts go?" there were things he would have to do in preparation for the Scorcher, and it would be far easier if the lizard could help him.

------------------------------

"I was told it would be a messenger, I don't think they believed the Beak would go himself, though they must have known whom the messenger was working for. Which makes those that gave me the mission traitors." voicing her concerns out loud made them more real, and it filled her with a silent fear of the Beak going to kill those that had trained her as well as her fellow assassins. She didn't doubt he would succeed. The goblins question got her back in the moment however.

"Daggers to the heart, its the weapon I can perform the fastest attacks with. I can also throw them accurately at more than a hundred feet." a bit of pride could be heard in Thil'ierra's voice, she loved training with knifes and daggers, and those she had were made specifically for her hands. She took a few of them out to show Deadeye. A foot-long straight blade with a few teeth on each edge, the teeth continuing the edge, and a half-foot handle in the same metal as the blade, ending in a small sphere and connected to the blade without a hand-guard.

"Good, good. Then the men won't have to hold back." Z said, murring slightly. "And with some prior knowledge, the Goblins will do quite well long before we get there. Which should make sure that the losses will be minimal. Thus far, it seems to be a good mission then." He murred some more, as he took another sip of his tea.

"Your kin's magic? Not very far. I might have been taught some of it at some point, but I didn't have a great interest for it at the time... Still, I like to believe that I can do a bit of it, if you give me some instructions." He smiled slightly. Being paid for the job, learning more about the Thread, and now, even learning some about the Vakhaw's magic. And with some clever manipulations, he could probably get himself a position in the thread. Unless Fehr would give him a position, even without any extra work from him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Then you didn't do enough scouting on your target. A mere messenger wouldn't walk around so well armed, now would he?" Deadeye asked, as she took one of the knives held out by Tilly, and starting to inspect it. "And truly, Murk-town might be a fine place to kill someone, but the woods would most likely have given you a better chance. Hiding in a tree or a bush, and throwing a knife or three could quickly and easily deal with most targets." She ran a finger over the edge of the blade, and nodded in satisfaction.

"Though if your only weapon is a couple of knives, there is a quite easy way to get close enough to use them, you know..." She said, as she handed the knife back. "Men tend to be rather friendly towards certain people who have... Certain assets..." She said with a sly smile and a wink, as she hooked a finger into her shirt and pulling slightly at it, so her clevage grew even deeper, almost to the point of making the shirt pointless.

Spymaster

Fehr understood the reason behind Z'haeer's smile, at least the basis of it, the lizard was a man who saw opportunities to increase his standing in the world, both as far as individual power and political influence went. While part of him saw an additional way of ensuring the mercenary leaders continued loyalty, the Vakhaw did in truth think it would be simpler if he had someone to help him with his rituals and other preparations, for this, the lizard mage was the most beneficial choice.

"Oh, I guess we'll just have to try and see then. The reason for it is three-fold, I'd like your assistance with a few rituals for one, and for the second it would prove beneficial if your men are not caught in my more subtle spells during large scale battles. For the third, it will allow me to assess your affinity and advancement in the arts, as well as give you a better understanding of what I can do." he sounded kind of smug saying the last, it would be a first for him to show someone even part of what array of skills were available to him without the goal of killing the other. But so far he liked the lizard, and with the Thread festering with traitors, readying a replacement he could trust was invaluable.

"Before I start I felt I should ask you what you know of my heritage's... more peculiar traits? As they are deeply interwoven with our usage of magic." as a mercenary, Z'haeer should possess at least a rational insight regarding the rumors about the Vakhaw race, since many things said about them were ridiculous. But there were some things they tended not to share with outsiders, as it would cause unnecessary friction in their interaction with others.

----------------------------------------------------------

The elf wound up blushing enough to color her face red, realizing what the goblin was suggesting she do to kill her targets in the future. It wasn't that she hadn't thought about it, or that she didn't know how usual and efficient a method it was... But there was a little something about the approach that currently bothered her greatly, especially as Deadeye obviously knew what she was talking about. Trying to regain her composure she fell back on the prospect of her failed assassination.

"Bars said that as well, but I didn't realize he had those little blades, whatever they are used for. He never used them in the fight as far as I could tell, and he had no other weaponry." Thil'ierra felt like a child throwing a tantrum, repeating the same things over and over, but the Beak was still a heavy load on her mind. "And, about that other thing, I... I haven't really... I have never been with a man!" the last came out of her mouth a little louder than she had intended, and she could almost picture the nearby mercenaries stop to stare at her. It had never bothered her while training to become an assassin, but the current situation made her realize just how inexperienced that made her feel. The elf hesitantly lifted her eyes from the ground to look at the other female, expecting her to laugh.

Oh, the smug bastard! Not only was he going to assess Z'Haeer, but he was going to "show him what he could do". Modesty did not seem to be one of the Vakhaw's traits. But then, if one did well enough, one had the right to be a little smug at times. After all, it's not overconfidence if you can live up to it.

"Oh, you'll find that I'm quite skilled in the arts. I just haven't trained in all the schools of it, yet at least. But I can show you that I have mastered the arts of my homeland, as well as being quite adept at the elemental schools. It would still be an honor to assess my skills compared to yours. And it could be quite fun to see which race's school is superior, no?" He asked with a smile, as he took another sip of the tea.

"As for your kind and their traits..." He started, as he reached up with one hand, and let the magical bug crawl onto his finger, done with cleaning his scales. "According to rumors, you are a race of undead spawn from the other side of the veil of life and death, here only to feast on the carrion left behind in the wake of your destruction. Or filthy scavengers, eating whatever you can find, yet fleeing at he first sign of trouble." He chuckled slightly, before he threw the bug into his maw, crushed it with his teeth, and swallowed it.

"Of course, this is all rumor that has gotten way out of hand. You're a people of birds who enjoy drinking the blood of others. And of course, your kind is rather know for doing shady things. It's rather hard to get any solid information from anyone not of your kind. And you aren't the most sharing people..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deadeye simply stared at Tilly for a few moments, before simply asking "...How? How can a hot thing like you not have done that before?" She asked, obviously quite shocked at the revelation. "I mean, you're an Elf, so you could be a hundred or twenty, but.... How? Many a night spent under the covers, desperately pleasing yourself?" Deadeye was a girl who didn't hold back when it came to sex. After all, she had twenty other Goblins all to herself in the mercenary band, but even for a girl at an academy, she would have imagined that there were enough guys...

One of the nearby Goblins couldn't help but to overhear the little confession from the rather striking Elf, so he walked over with a smile, and leaned against a barrel with a grin. "I'd be happy to help you getting to know how a true man feels!" He suggested before Deadeye could gather herself enough to chase him off.

Spymaster

It was quiet a moment after the lizard had spoken, then Fher started laughing, the sound like countless ravens over a battlefield, but there was an amused light in the Vakhaws eyes.

"I would ask who told you those particular hearsay's, but it will have to wait, khaw khaw. Superiority in the arts is also, as you probably know, all but dependent on the practitioner." he said with a voice recalling old memories, there were always prideful mages that with horror in their eyes realized that what they had thought would protect them and burn their aggressors fell short due to their own inexperience and lacking knowledge.

"Now, it's not the blood in essence we consume, though while blood is the payment of the soul, it is also a concrete substance, belonging in this material plane of ours." Fher said, quoting what his own teacher had said when he was young. The explanation was as vague an answer as always, though it came very close to the truth, in a sense. "We can siphon the life-force of other living beings, and the easiest way is to do so while they are on the verge of death, or in severe agony, khaw khaw. And regarding the Vakhaw not wanting to share ourselves, this is one of the reasons." he said, holding up one of his hands in front of Z'haeer, at first nothing happened, but then the feathers on the hand changed color, dyed a bright red and yellow.

--------------------------------------------

Thil'ierra was a bit surprised at the goblins reaction, which in kind was surprise rather than ridicule. After the goblin male had been chased off she managed to take a breath and answer the other female, her face still a red hue from her embarrassment.
"It's not that there weren't any males at the Thread when I trained, but, I never really, I was so engrossed in the training. And I'm only 50, my home was attacked when I was five or so." the memory still made her sad, even after all these years, but she could no longer remember how her parents had looked, nor how her home had stood among the trees. What she remembered was running with the taste of smoke in her nose, and the screams of the village burning behind her. After days of wandering through the woods she was found by the Threads scouts, searching for survivors of the elven village.

"And I suppose I have managed by myself, though I wouldn't call it desperately. I never felt an attraction to any of the others I guess?" Thil'ierra thought back on the other trainee assassins she had grown up alongside, she regarded all of them as brothers and sisters. Now that she thought about it, maybe her life had been more secluded than she had earlier realized. "Deadeye, when did you?" the elf's voice trailed off again, she was still far from comfortable asking about the subject, even if the goblin was far from restrained.

Z'Haeer nodded at Fher's explanation of his kind. "You'd like my sister then. She also quite likes causing pain in others. Though I don't think she really feeds on it, as much as she simply enjoys it..." He says with a smile, thinking back to the swamps of his home. "But I can truly understand the wanting to share everything about yourself. After all, we most loyal to Tzeench call ourselves Keepers of Secrets." He explained with a slight smile.

Then the Vakhaw's feathers started changing colors. In a way, it was almost heretical to him, but then his mind caught up with what had happened, and he figured it didn't count for feathers, just scales. "I can see why you'd want to keep that a secret. It can be quite useful for sneaking about, without being spotted and recognized. It's not something I'd do myself though..." He said, with only a tiny bit of well hidden disgust in his voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, poor thing, being "just" 50 years old. Many Goblins never become that old. Heck, by 50, we're old! Like, really old!" Deadeye chuckled, not really offended or anything, just finding the elf's age to be a bit funny.

"How old was I when I got laid for my first time?" She asked quite bluntly. "I was... 14, maybe? Just about adult, so not too early. But once I tried it, I started really liking it." She said with a naughty smile. "Which is actually one of the reasons I joined this band of mercenaries instead of working by myself. Right now, I've got 20 guys, most of who are real handsome, all to myself." She said proudly and with a wide smile. "And the bigger guys understand that it wouldn't work out with our sizes, so they don't bother me. So I've got quite a good sex-life right now." She chuckled.

Spymaster

The Vakhaw hid a smile as he noticed Z'haeer's reaction to him changing the color of his feathers, he knew that the lizards, and especially those worshiping Tzeench saw their color as something sacred. Which would likely make what he had to do utterly sacrilegious in the other mans eyes.

"Heh, now this particular... trait of ours. Is not magical in nature, strangely enough. You would not believe the problems that arise when our young reach puberty and their bodies enable this change. But to return to the point of our discussion, what I of course want is your assistance with a few rituals I will use to prepare for the coming targets. What kind of equipment in the way of dark rituals do you have?" it might sound as if he was hurrying the conversation along, but he had heard what he needed regarding the lizards view of his magical arts. Next came the practical show, of which some had the possibility of getting on the wrong foot with the mercenaries, though Fehr didn't fear for the success of the needed rituals, Z'haeer seemed more than able and ahead of the situation to realize the positives outweighing the negatives. Once he told him what the rituals would entail at least.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, the elf turned bright red from Deadeye brazenly talking about sex, "I've got 20 guys", and she said it with such confidence. While Thil'ierra had not had a single one in her whole life, which by the goblins remark had already been longer than most of her own ever got to experience. And that if anything made the elven assassin humbled yet again at her simple inexperience in life itself.

"I never realized how much time I have, wasted without living, I suppose. Though, I don't think I will ever be able to be as, open with it as you are. Are there any other woman in the company, I have only seen you so far?" she said with eagerness that seemed to have come from nowhere, in actuality it was the Vakhaw's curse on her that had started to dissipate, and her unclouded personality was starting to show, which was if anything more oblivious to the world around her. As to why her inexperience in many things, but it was also focused on one thing in particular, her skills as an assassin. And the prospect of having other females to spar against after so long was enticing, men rarely went as hard against them as they did among each other in her memory. But then that had not been a group of mercenaries.

Z'Haeer imagined a school of birds who were all changing colors all over the place for a moment, and got mixed feelings from it, as there was much change, yet of their colors. He brushed the thought away, and focused on his tea again for a moment.

"I've got quite a few reagents in my chests, to could be useful in many a ritual. It all depends on the ritual, really. Blood can be easily gotten here, after all. Limbs, slightly less so. And of course, I've got contacts in Murk-city, if there's something you really need. But I think I should be able to get you what you need, one way or the other." He said confidently, leaning back in his chair again, and taking another sip of his tea.

----------------------

"I'm the only Gobby lady here, so no reason to look for others. The Xyrian ladies look pretty much like the dudes, so good luck seeing any of them, unless you catch them with their pants down. The Orc ladies also look a lot like the guys, though they do have slightly smaller tusks and a little more prominent breasts and hips. You've probably just mistaken them for guys. Doesn't exactly help that these gals are proper warriors. Extra muscles, and less of the fun parts." She chuckled, as she leaned back against the barrel again. "I can understand though I made the same mistake when I got here. You get used to it."

Spymaster

The Vakhaw listened to Z'haeer as he mentioned how they may acquire possible ingredients, it made him smile. Procuring parts needed for more sinister rituals had however gotten a preferable solution in whatever connections the lizard held in the Murk. Though the first ritual Fehr was planning on performing would not take more than what they had in the camp, as long as the basic items were available.

"Oh, seems it will be more of a breeze than I thought it would. Now, I assume you thereby are in possession of the totems for a seventh circle? I'd like to ascertain your men's resistance to my weaker curses, it wouldn't do to have our own troops succumb to my presence on the battlefield now would it." he said letting out another laugh. While many arts used the pentagram as a basis for their more than fundamental preparations for using magic, the Vakhaw among some others used an intersection of seven circles, including darkness and light directly as symbols for the energies at work. The usual practice was to name seven totems as the focal points of the circle, and through offerings done with them as the medium seek a connection to higher beings or the very magic itself.

---------------------------------------------

"I thought they were simply slightly slimmer males, thanks for telling me before I made a mistake." Thil'ierra said with a thin smile. It made her rather intrigued by Deadeye's figure, which was if anything more apparent female, but if she as well mainly fought as an assassin, then she wouldn't need the bulky muscle the bigger mercenaries toted.

"Would you, that is, do you have time to spar a bit? I feel as if the Beak shook me up more than he should have." the elf had an expectant grin on her face as she made a few movements with two wooden daggers that had been laying on a barrel next to her, probably belonging to the goblin sergeant. While sparring with real weapons wasn't that strange, it didn't mean you did so with anyone you had just met.

"Seven totems? I've got at least twenty totems! Most of them aren't from sets though. But I think I have the set you want..." He said, starting to rub his chin slightly. "Totems aren't exactly rare, ya know. Carve a image into some piece of wood, and you've got something holy. Or unholy. Or a conduit of power. Not to say that I have't carved one myself..." He said, before putting down the empty cup of tea, and getting up.

He walked over to one of the chests in the tent, unclasped it, and opened it. He shifted some objects covered by some fine cloths, before picking up one covered by a blue silk cloth. He walked back to his chair as he started to slowly unwrap it. As he sat down, he held the uncovered totem, about half a meter long, made of a dark wood, covered with engravings. He held it up, showing it off to the Vakhaw. He spun it slowly, keeping the silk between his fingers and the wood. "I engraved it with my own claws, making a homage to lord Tzheentch. It starts with a young, curious man on this side..." He explained, slowly turning it around. "...and it progresses until he is a wise old man, before he dies, and is reborn from a egg once more."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deadeye laughed slightly, though not mockingly. "You, a inexperienced, though well trained assassin want to fight me, a seasoned killer? Sounds like a bit of fun." She said, still with a bit of a giggle in her voice, as she got up and picked up a wooden dagger for herself, and started twirling it around in her hand.

"Perhaps a small bet as well? Just a little something to make it more interesting, is all." She offered, as she started walking towards the small ring they had first found the Beak in. "I don't know what you've got to bet with, though I'm sure we can find something~" She giggled.

Status
Not open for further replies.