Hidden by the Sea

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"You'll see soon. Just give it a while." She said, watching the guards swim toward her.

"General Kai!" The first guard said, saluting her. "We all thought you were dead! You have a human with you?"

"Stand down." Kai said. "He is none of your concern. Let us in."

The guards nodded. "Yes, ma'am!"

Robert stayed silent nodding his head when she told him that soon he would see. He wished he could now, the sounds around him were making him nervous but instead he kept his face serene with no expression and his hand in hers. He trusted her.

"General, ma'am, the Queen wishes to see you." A third guard said as the guards let her in. She nodded as she kept a tight hold on Robert's hands. She swam through the city, ignoring the stares. Soon enough they arrived in the castle. Robert's eyes had started to adjust as they swam.

Robert assumed the way he was feeling with his sight slowly coming back was what newborns felt like. Everything was fuzzy and at first he could only see shadows and blob liked figures. This must be where they live. Kai was a general... whoa. He kept quiet the entire time. He didn't know their customs and as far as they knew he was nothing more than an unwanted intruder.

Kai gave Robert a quick kiss before leading him into the throne room. "Ah, Kai. My sweet General. You have a human. Who are you, small human?" The queen asked. She was the size of a skyscraper. Her tail was a pure golden and looked like a skirt with how her fins flowed out of her. Her hair was silver, flowing down her back. Her hair was as golden as her tail. She was covered in different jewelry.

Robert's eyes widened as the first thing that came into focus was a female mermaid that was about three thousand times the size of Kai. She asked him a question and he licked his lips before answering.

"I'm uh.. I'm Robert Hughes. I'm a marine biologist.... I was um contracted to study Kai in her imprisonment... ended up falling in love with her." he said looking over at Kai with an adoring gaze.

"How nice! Kai, would you leave me with Robert? Your family has been worried." The queen said, smiling.

Kai nodded. "Of course, my highness." She turned to Robert and gave him a quick kiss. "I promise I'll be back as soon as I can." With that, she swam away, leaving Robert with the queen.

The queen smiled down at the human. "You have fallen in love with a human, have you?"

Robert felt a twinge of worry when the queen asked to be alone with him but Kai's kiss reassured him. She was gone as quick as he blinked his eyes and he swallowed hard turning to look at the queen.

"Yes... yes Your highness. I love Kai with every part of me. I was contracted to study her as previous ones had but I wouldn't let them harm her even before my feelings had grown. She deserved her freedom and I am just glad that I helped in her escape."

"The others will not approve of this relationship. Especially her father. He is quite protective of his little girl." The queen said, watching the man with sharp eyes. Her tail flicked, causing a wave of water to wash over him. She was definitely intimidating.

Robert felt his heart sink. He knew she was the queen but he wasn't going to let that separate them

"Your Highness with all due respect, I love Kai. I gave up being human just so that I could love her for the rest of eternity. I fought for her then and I'll fight for her now." he said not batting a lash or blinking an eye. He was serious.

"What if I told you that being with a human, even in a transitional stage as you are, could kill the sweet general?" The queen asked. "Have you ever wondered why humans and mermaids never had relationships before?" She played with her hair, waiting for the human's response.

Robert looked up at her in dismay. Would it harm Kai? He sighed, his heart breaking.

"N.....no. How could it kill her? If being with me will harm her then just kill me. I have nothing left in my life. End me now and let her know that I did it out of love for her." he said his eyes filling with tears that burst out, despite being already underwater.

"The technicalities are for another time." The queen said blushing. "Though, if you were a merman, you two would be perfectly fine together." She flicked her tail again. She brought her hair to nose, smelling the saltiness.

Robert looked at her awkwardly. Was she talking about...... the realization hit like a lightbulb lighting in his skull. He blushed as well unable to focus truly on what was going on. He watched her, she was beautiful but nothing like Kai. He blinked his eyes and as if she was withholding an option he knew nothing about. Kai had said that he could only be turned into an actual merman by the queen. Was she offering or just telling him that without it he could end up harming Kai in the future.

"Your Highness...... is this an offer? I am confused, forgive me. If I am able to be turned into a merman and spend the rest of my days with Kai, that is all that I would wish. It would fulfill my dreams and I believe hers as well."

"It all depends on how much you want it, Robert. Would you really give up your life as a human to spend the rest of your days down here?" She asked. He couldn't feel it, but he was changing, slowly. His two legs started to come together, scales forming. It was so slow that he couldn't have noticed it. Not unless he was looking for it.

Robert looked up at her with a smile that gave off the answer his heart was screaming out.

"In a heartbeat your Highness. All I want is for Kai to be happy and for me to be happy with Kai... she is my happiness." he said honestly

"Then look down. You have no human legs." She was correct. His legs had been replaced with a tail and fins. His body had changed quickly yet it had done so painlessly. Such a strange thing to happen. His tail was powerful and his fins were strong, much like a sharks. The queen smiled as she looked over the new merman.

Robert looked down and blinked his eyes. "Holy shit!" he said his hands coming down to feel his tail. The scales were a dark shimmering blue, his fins less billowy than Kai's. He was amazed. He refrained from swimming up and hugging the queen thinking it was probably against atlantian law. He swam around quickly feeling his tail push him through the water effortlessly and faster than he had ever imagined. His eyes could see even better now. He swam around in circles making flips and speeding back and forth.

He stopped bowing before the queen. "Thank you so much my highness. I cannot thank you enough! Please... let me show her." he said excited to surprise Kai.

"Go, and tell her I expect to see guppies within the year!" The queen said, chuckling. "She is in the large house south of here. It is covered in sea flowers, you can't miss it." She was happy that she had another subject that was happy to be with her general. It was nice to see happy mermen and mermaids.

Back at Kai's home, she was getting hugged by her family who were all exclaiming how much they missed her as she apologized to them.

Robert took off like a bat out of hell. He swam by rushing past guards and fish and other animals, columns of sea weed until he saw the house. He didn't know if he could just go right in so much like a human he knocked on the door and stepped back waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.