Hating on Christmas music - Negative nancies unite

Status
Not open for further replies.
My least favorite is: Bieber's version of "The Little Drummer Boy"

Why did that have to become a thing?

I didn't hear it in the Bible because there was no Little Drummer Boy IN the Bible!

Stop, Bieber! You're ruining a perfectly good Christmas song!

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME OF "LAST CHRISTMAS"?

That one fills me with whatever a step below rage is. It seriously boils down to "I poured my heart out to you last Christmas, you went with another girl, so this year I am going to do the exact same thing over again with another asshole".
I've always heard it as
"Last Christmas you broke my heart and now it's Christmas again so I'm going to date someone better"

BITCH YOU CAN BE SINGLE STOP BASING YOUR HAPPINESS ON MEN.

I have NEVER understood people's fascinations with Christmas songs on cheating and shit.

Like... Christmas is supposed to be a happy holiday, not one full of angst towards ex's right?
Back at High School people looked at me like I was crazy for not getting it. XD

I've always heard it as
"Last Christmas you broke my heart and now it's Christmas again so I'm going to date someone better"

I think it's interesting that y'all both recognize the female version, the one I remember (or at least thought I remembered) by Wham! was a male singer. I kinda took it as a guy who waited too long to confess his love to the girl he cared for and she didn't return his affections. This year (to save him from tears) he'll give it to someone "special". I perceived this as him being "over" the previous girl and how she broke his heart, vowing to find someone who cared for him as much as he did for them. (If that makes sense)

I've always heard it as

Nuh uh! Why do you think the song is repeated every year? Huehue.

On a more serious note, the singer obviously is still hung up on the guy because a year later, she's gloating she found someone new while he's presumably moved on whenever it was he went with other girl. That should be a red flag to new guy who probably is not happy singer sought out her ex that she started dating at the same time last year, likely wondering if he's just a rebound or a tool for making the ex jealous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minibit
"Blue Christmas" and "I'll be Home for Christmas" are so depressing. They shouldn't even be played.

Most annoying is "Dominic the Italian Christmas donkey" and "Who put the stump". Although "Who put the stump" is rather catchy.

The Christmas Song, aka "Chestnust Roasting on an Open Fire"

For the past several years, I've been part of a caroling group that gets paid to sing for rich people at restaurants, country clubs, etc., usually on Christmas eve, but sometimes on the days before too. All in all, it's not a bad gig, I get paid $50 to sing really easy (if boring) songs for an hour to 90 minutes. I HATE singing this song because it isn't meant to be sung by a choir, and it certainly isn't meant to be sung a capella. There's no room for harmonization and without any accompaniment, it sounds awkward and weird.

There are definitely others I don't like singing, but I can't think of them right now.

"Blue Christmas" and "I'll be Home for Christmas" are so depressing. They shouldn't even be played.

Most annoying is "Dominic the Italian Christmas donkey" and "Who put the stump". Although "Who put the stump" is rather catchy.

How is 'I'll be home for Christmas' depressing?

Sincere question. Cause that's one of my favourites; my dads a long haul truck driver but he's always home for Christmas and I always think of him on the long haul back home when I hear it, so I'm a little biased but I always hear it as a hopeful 'light at the end of the tunnel' song, like 'candle in the window'

I remembered the last lyric and answered my own question.

I still think it's a hopeful song overall though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.