Gun Owners of Iwaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I took my SKS rig out to the range today and the aftermarket rail cover is pretty much garbage. I had a bitch of a time trying to sight in, and I kept losing zero because shooting made all the screws loosen up on everything, including the optics. A couple shots ended up getting the bolt carrier stuck under the cover and needing to shove the charging handle forward, so really, the lesson here is don't trust NCstar crap and cover mounted sights are under a lot of stress. Whee.

So many people who are gun owners are ALSO knife-owners.

Is it permissible to discuss our favorite tactical, utility, survival, or Everyday Carry blades on this thread as well?

Is it permissible to discuss our favorite tactical, utility, survival, or Everyday Carry blades on this thread as well?
Carry on, Private Shankers.

Reactions: Razilin

Whatcha got, guy? I usually EDC a relatively cheap Emerson CQC-3k or for those times I'm feeling really mallninja, I'll carry my Benchmade SOPC knife. It's the model that's partially serrated and only one side of the blade is sharpened, that way it passes off as a spearpoint blade. Damned Washington knife laws.

Kershaw storm 2. Discontinued, but I've had it since 2008 and it never failed me. Only recently did the tip finally start to bend.

I also got a ka bar usmc, a knock off cold steel that I got as a bday gift from someone decidedly NOT a knife enthusiast, and a diving knife

I would like to see how these zero tolerance knives pan out before sinking 180 bucks in it

I also have one of those USMC Ka Bars! It's a very nice knife, it's up there with my SOG Field Pup for being my go-to utility knife.

Also, I am super bummed out that unless the laws here in Canada change, we'll never get the IWI Galil ACE imported because it's an AK derivative.

I also have one of those USMC Ka Bars! It's a very nice knife, it's up there with my SOG Field Pup for being my go-to utility knife.

Also, I am super bummed out that unless the laws here in Canada change, we'll never get the IWI Galil ACE imported because it's an AK derivative.
so, for me, KA BAR is like the jack of all trades for knives.

1095 steel means excellent edge retention, but rather hard to sharpen in the field in a surivival situation.

fixed blade, full tang means its absolute perfect for batoning, fighting, digging, whatever.

stacked hilt annoys me because i can't remove the scales and slap the blade onto a stick and make a spear in a pinch, or repair the hilt myself if its breaks.

serrated edge is nice for difficult cuts or when cutting cables/ropes, but it takes up some space in case i wanted to use it for batoning.

i like the grind on a KA BAR and the tapered/spear-shape tip. it penetrates well and cuts well. would wish there wasn't a dip on the tip though.

pommel is big and flat for hammering, always a plus.

but it isnt optimized for batoning, the hilt is difficult to repair in a pinch, and its blade is usually coated so it ends up sticking in wood if you're chopping with it

so again, its a jack of all trades knife

i'd like to get an ESEE for survival uses. those are damn fine survival blades.

so, for me, KA BAR is like the jack of all trades for knives.

1095 steel means excellent edge retention, but rather hard to sharpen in the field in a surivival situation.

fixed blade, full tang means its absolute perfect for batoning, fighting, digging, whatever.

stacked hilt annoys me because i can't remove the scales and slap the blade onto a stick and make a spear in a pinch, or repair the hilt myself if its breaks.

serrated edge is nice for difficult cuts or when cutting cables/ropes, but it takes up some space in case i wanted to use it for batoning.

i like the grind on a KA BAR and the tapered/spear-shape tip. it penetrates well and cuts well. would wish there wasn't a dip on the tip though.

pommel is big and flat for hammering, always a plus.

but it isnt optimized for batoning, the hilt is difficult to repair in a pinch, and its blade is usually coated so it ends up sticking in wood if you're chopping with it

so again, its a jack of all trades knife

i'd like to get an ESEE for survival uses. those are damn fine survival blades.

I've got a ka bar-becker/esee collaboration neck knife. Good thick piece of steel that won't fail in a pinch. It's got the scales you're looking for and I think it has a transparent coating. My Schrade is my go to hard use knife as well as a ka bar machete I use for chopping.

And yea, I'm not fond of serrations on my bigger blades because it limits the space I have for batoning and I don't edc my neck knife because nothing I do requires a fixed blade. The big schrade also has scales but the blade shape isn't the the typical basic utilitarian bushcraft shape.

I use the Emerson to carve and feather because it's the thinnest blade I trust.

I usually stick to softer blade steels because it's easier to sharpen in the field. The blade retention issue is also that- an issue. Not that big of one though.

I don't have much experience with cold steels bigger knives but the one time I've used one of their tomahawks I was very disappointed. I've also not heard the best things about their bigger knives though.

As for those higher end knives that are upwards of 80 bucks, I don't think I have a reason to sink that much money into a knife yet. Quality, sure, but the knives I have are alright already. For 30 to 50 bucks, it's not that big of a deal if I lose them or something.

I've got a ka bar-becker/esee collaboration neck knife. Good thick piece of steel that won't fail in a pinch. It's got the scales you're looking for and I think it has a transparent coating. My Schrade is my go to hard use knife as well as a ka bar machete I use for chopping.

And yea, I'm not fond of serrations on my bigger blades because it limits the space I have for batoning and I don't edc my neck knife because nothing I do requires a fixed blade. The big schrade also has scales but the blade shape isn't the the typical basic utilitarian bushcraft shape.

I use the Emerson to carve and feather because it's the thinnest blade I trust.

I usually stick to softer blade steels because it's easier to sharpen in the field. The blade retention issue is also that- an issue. Not that big of one though.

I don't have much experience with cold steels bigger knives but the one time I've used one of their tomahawks I was very disappointed. I've also not heard the best things about their bigger knives though.

As for those higher end knives that are upwards of 80 bucks, I don't think I have a reason to sink that much money into a knife yet. Quality, sure, but the knives I have are alright already. For 30 to 50 bucks, it's not that big of a deal if I lose them or something.
which is why i want to see if anyone's used ZT knives before i go buying one. i'm quite happy with the blades i have already, but they're starting to wear out after a decade-plus of abuse.

Indeed, I always get excited when I see an old rifle or shotgun show up at a gunshow or in the shop that I rarely get to see. There's an SVT-40 for 450 at the local store that I'd be really tempted to buy if I didn't need to save up some money for other stuff.

The one thing old guns have that new guns don't: History. Of course, they also have "patina"... my Woodsman, I got it "cheap" because the finish was gone, all gray and speckled. But mechanically, it's perfect. Bore is mirror bright.

Oh, and on the subject of blades? I think you'll like this:

Dervish Knives

My Fave:

Wendigo

I also like this one:

Silverfish

The one thing old guns have that new guns don't: History. Of course, they also have "patina"... my Woodsman, I got it "cheap" because the finish was gone, all gray and speckled. But mechanically, it's perfect. Bore is mirror bright.

Oh, and on the subject of blades? I think you'll like this:

Dervish Knives

My Fave:

Wendigo

I also like this one:

Silverfish
OH SO YOU FOUND MY PERSONAL BRAND OF KNIVES GO BUY ALL OF THEM.

That's kinda neat! I didn't know there was a Dervish brand knife, now I may have to buy one just because it shares my screen name. It helps that they look really awesome.

EVlFPen.jpg

But I gotta agree with your taste in that Wendigo knife, it's one that caught my eye.

I love how this one looks, too.

Yeah, that one also looks excellent. Like this one, too:

Ursa Major Custom

Though, to be honest, I like all the blades Dervish makes. I just have my faves.

@Hope, calling @Hope to the thread!

I love the TAR-21. That's a pretty gun. Reminds me of something out of a Shirow Masamune manga.

I'm quite late to this aren't I? ^^;

I too am fond of the TAR-21.

Most of the guns I own are more for utility such as home defense and hunting. However I do buy a few just because they're pretty ;)

My favorite :

search

The only difference is that mine has a blue finish. This is my home defense gun. It shoots straight, it's smooth, and it will never jam.

below is my duck/goose hunting gun. Also squirrel, phesant, quail,etc gun...

search

Those guns aren't top of the line but they do a good job and they're relatively inexpensive. Also they're durable. If you lose a ore you can pretty much use that gun to paddle back to shore.

Next is my deer hunting rifle.

search

Won this gun at a banquet. It does a good job. Though I prefer to hunt with my bow, if I don't get anything during bow season I'll move on with the riflE.

Next is my just for fun gun. I mainly shoot squirrels with it.

search

Lastly, I have my Good for nothing gun. I literally just have it in case they decide to ban all ARs. I'll have it grandfathered in.

search

I have a few other guns but I don't think I need to post them all. :)

Reactions: Dervish
I'm afraid your pictures aren't working for me!

Is it something on my end, or did your linking malfunction and make pandas sad and extinct?

I own a couple of Nerf guns. And I have the Long Shot Nerf gun. Does that count?

Haha, in all seriousness, I really want to buy guns, but that's not happening until I finish college, medical school, and get a place of my own (and no, it probably won't be in that particular order).

Hope messed up linking her images. For the sake of being helpful:

Ruger .357

gp100ruger357mag.jpg

Remington 870

870exp-lefthand-prod.ashx

Savage Arms .243

l62ovd7S1_K2jGVR5l5.png

Ruger 10-22

1_rifles_ruger_1022_camo_nib_150814.jpg

Windham AR-15

Windham-Weaponry-AR15-A.jpg

Status