Gittin' Gud

RiverNotch

any pronouns
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
Considering how my previous attempt at getting the 30 topics in 30 days achievement stalled earlier this month, I'm gonna try a different method, which is to post in bursts of, say, five? So! For my second topic, I ask y'all: what games are you good at? No, not just what games you like to play, or are presently playing -- indeed, you might hate whatever game you here list, so long as you are, by some measure, pretty good at it!

I was always good with tests and quizzes, but I guess those aren't really games....trivia games, then, though now that I'm a bit older my mind prefers to synthesize information than to just gather it piecemeal, and my measure for this has been the local competitions I've been put through xD.

I'm not particularly athletic, so the rest of the games I'll here mention are digital. In high school my more heterosexual group of friends often invited me to offline DotA games, where I was typically very shit. To cool off, however, we'd usually play some fps game, and while at first I was also initially rather shit at shooting, at some point -- maybe when I realized that I should stop faffing around, in always trying to snipe -- I realized that I was actually quite capable, even somewhat good. Though no, I was neither particularly nor naturally good, it was just I played a lot of Star Wars Battlefront II Classic on my lonesome, as well as the occasional online game of Left 4 Dead 2. I suppose I'm also reasonably good at Hades, where I can accomplish runs within 20 minutes (my times would be shorter, were my computers not poop, I swear xD), and I've done a good bit of practice with the 3D Elder Scrolls games, Opus Magnum, Civilization V, and Minecraft, but eh, being particularly good at the games I play hasn't been my M.O. in quite a while. Still, it would be a curious sight indeed for some big shot speedrunners or whatever to reply to this thread....

There are games I love, and there are games I'm good at. Those two don't usually overlap.

If I had to pick a few, though- Minecraft: I'm good at building, I'm pretty decent at surviving (I build and play pretty much exclusively in survival), I'm so good at elytra courses, and I'm usually pretty on top of knowing how to utilize the mechanics of the game to my advantage. But PVP, parkour, and FUCKING REDSTONE is just not my cup of tea.

One of my favorite games of all time is Cult of the Lamb. Some of it boils down to luck but I'd like to think I'm good at it considering how much I've played it! I don't have a lot to compare my skills to, though.

I was pretty good at Inscryption as well! Some of that game is definitely based on luck but it didn't take me too long to beat it and I didn't die a whole lot during my playthrough.

Subnautica & Below Zero...can I count myself as good at those games? I've only died like twice ever. It's probably just because I'm paranoid. That's probably a good thing.

Probably the weirdest/most niche game I'm good at is Ultimate Chicken Horse. I've played it so much I could control those little animals in my sleep and still make it to the flag the fastest (as long as my brother isn't playing, then it's about 50/50 between us).

• Love
Reactions: RiverNotch
There are games I love, and there are games I'm good at. Those two don't usually overlap.

If I had to pick a few, though- Minecraft: I'm good at building, I'm pretty decent at surviving (I build and play pretty much exclusively in survival), I'm so good at elytra courses, and I'm usually pretty on top of knowing how to utilize the mechanics of the game to my advantage. But PVP, parkour, and FUCKING REDSTONE is just not my cup of tea.

One of my favorite games of all time is Cult of the Lamb. Some of it boils down to luck but I'd like to think I'm good at it considering how much I've played it! I don't have a lot to compare my skills to, though.

I was pretty good at Inscryption as well! Some of that game is definitely based on luck but it didn't take me too long to beat it and I didn't die a whole lot during my playthrough.

Subnautica & Below Zero...can I count myself as good at those games? I've only died like twice ever. It's probably just because I'm paranoid. That's probably a good thing.

Probably the weirdest/most niche game I'm good at is Ultimate Chicken Horse. I've played it so much I could control those little animals in my sleep and still make it to the flag the fastest (as long as my brother isn't playing, then it's about 50/50 between us).
I've heard of all those games, all through streaming! Well, except for Minecraft, which I've mentioned before I also play. Almost in the same situation -- right now, I planned a complicated but redstone-less build using creative, and am now sorta-executing it in survival -- though I don't think I've sufficiently tested myself in PVP or parkour. I blame my connection for my experiences with PVP generally being bad, but for parkour....well, the only thing stopping me from finishing Hollow Knight is that last level of the arena is too damn hard to do on mouse and keyboard, and that's got to count for something xD​

I'm pretty good at surviving and fighting the bosses in Don't Starve Together. I used to die often; now I can go 350+ days without dying once, and if I die it would be because of a new boss I hadn't fought before. To be fair, I've put in a little over 500 hours into the game, so I am not without practice. Playing with friends makes survival easier too.

My friends and I have survived for 400+ days in our current world. Now we're in that stage of the game where we're mainly focusing on building our megabase and making automated farms than anything else.

Apart from DST, I'd say I'm pretty decent at strategy games in general. That's it.

On the other hand, I'm laughably bad at shooters and MOBAs. And I'm extremely bad at Minecraft PVP. Can't aim for shit, can't dodge for shit. I don't know if that's why I don't find them enjoyable, or if it's because I don't find them enjoyable that I can't ever get enough practice to get decent at them. Who knows.

• Love
Reactions: RiverNotch