Gif Explanations and Consistencies

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Asuras

Original poster
I've received over 15+ questions from individual Iwaku users about the requirements for uploading gifs as avatars. Until recently the best answer I could give them was that I was simply a donating member, which gave me special "unmentioned" privileges. Of course I gave that answer with the understanding that I wasn't truly sure, only guessing (I could think of no other explanation as to why I could get my gifs to work while others couldn't).

I was pointed to a thread in which Diana explained gif avatars need to be under 204 kB in size to upload without being re-sized and subsequently broken, but even that explanation doesn't seem to hold up; the last gif avatar I had used for several months was an enormous 720 KB in size, and yet it still worked as a gif.

So I submit this idea thread to help alleviate the questions many Iwaku users seem to have.
I suggest that a thread, FAQ, or otherwise, be created that cements the requirements needed for gifs to work as avatars, because as it stands now, there doesn't seem to be a consistent set of rules governing how gifs work.

Reactions: Unsun
HOW TO MAKE GIFS WORK FOR REGISTERED MEMBERS:

204kb Max Filesize
200px Max Width
Max Height is a Percentage we're unclear about.

FOR DONATORS:

200px Max Width
Max Height is a Percentage we're unclear about.

If it is over these limits it will resize the picture and kill the gif!

If we're unclear about max height, maybe we should test it?

Status
Not open for further replies.