DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
It varies a lot depending on my schedule, unfortunately.
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Psychological horror
Body horror
Supernatural
Giallo
Splatterpunk
Dark fantasy
Historical
Low fantasy
Magipunk
Weird West
Noir
Thriller
Gothic horror
Southern Gothic
Gaslamp fantasy
Cyberpunk
Space saga
Clockpunk
Space Western
Space opera
Paranormal
Modern fantasy
Dieselpunk
Post-Apocalyptic
Crime drama
Medieval fantasy
Do you have a question or problem regarding being a GAMEMASTER? If you want to know something about or are struggling with roleplay management, handling player disputes, advertising and attracting players, or keeping a game from stagnating, just post here and a Professor or volunteer will help you!

IF YOU HAVE A COMPLICATED QUESTION OR NEED IN-DEPTH HELP, YOU MAY ALSO START YOUR OWN HELP REQUEST THREAD IN THE INSTITUTE!

Hello! I am Amberlin and I'm new here on Iwaku. Although I have roleplay and DM experience from DnD, I am still new to the idea of forum roleplay. I do have some ideas running around in my head about a few rp's I could post, but I have no idea how I would go about GM'ing them. Are there any good examples I could learn from about being a good GM? Are there any rules of thumb new GM's should know before hand? I have been scouting the forums and different posts, but so far I am still perplexed. I guess I just don't want to start something and see it crumble because of my lack of experience/knowledge in the area. Perhaps there is a GM faq floating around somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Hello! I am Amberlin and I'm new here on Iwaku. Although I have roleplay and DM experience from DnD, I am still new to the idea of forum roleplay. I do have some ideas running around in my head about a few rp's I could post, but I have no idea how I would go about GM'ing them. Are there any good examples I could learn from about being a good GM? Are there any rules of thumb new GM's should know before hand? I have been scouting the forums and different posts, but so far I am still perplexed. I guess I just don't want to start something and see it crumble because of my lack of experience/knowledge in the area. Perhaps there is a GM faq floating around somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

You can GM in any way you want to!

Basic, mostly-expected responsibilities of a GM include:
- coming up with the setting and plot
- setting up the IC and OOC threads
- answering questions about the roleplay
- approving/rejecting characters snd players (optional)
- settling small problems/disputes in the Roleplay

Things you may need to decide/resolve as GM include:

- small player disputes
If someone is forgetting/ignoring your rules, leaving other players behind, contradicting your descriptions, or otherwise making the Roleplay not fun, you can politely ask them to stop or leave the RP. As a GM, your words carry a little more weight. NEVER BE CONFRONTATIONAL and if they ignore your polite request, use the report button and let the staff handle it.

- OOC & IC separation
We try to clean this up, but it's very helpful to have the GMs encouraging their players to only post RP posts in the IC thread, and keep player-to-player convos in the OOC thread. This separation is so that people can see all OOC together, instead of getting confused or missing memos because some stuff is there and some is attached to character posts.

- keeping the game interesting
Make sure you have some plot twists and candies up your sleeve to keep characters moving/doing stuff, because otherwise they will often either 1) get bored and leave 2) split off into their own subplots, leaving the main story mostly forgotten

Different ways I've seen GMs operate include but are not limited to:

- The Iron Fist
If players have anything of their own they'd like to add to the story/setting, it must be approved by you.

- The Democrat:
Let the players vote on what should happen next, what kind of peril to face, whether to trust the NPC, and other decisions

- The DM
Play Dungeons & Dragons style and let the dice answer!

- The Sharer
Let the players share your job and add plot twists, setting elements, new powers, NPCs, and other stuff without an approval process

- The Compromise
Only you can add big stuff like a new map areas, the actions of the villain/other important NPC, or a main plot development, but players can go nuts adding small-time NPCs, items, describing rooms and other areas, and non-plot-derailing twists like getting lost, getting attacked, finding a map, or taking a pizza break.

Just do whatever you feel comfortable with! GMing an open story or slice of life Roleplay is even easier because you can remove 'keeping the story on-point' from your to-do-list.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I'm running a semi-roll to dodge, how do I make the characters feel like the outcomes are random without showing dice rolls or roll tables?

I'm running a semi-roll to dodge, how do I make the characters feel like the outcomes are random without showing dice rolls or roll tables?
If you can explain what you mean by 'semi-roll', I might be able to help more. Meantime I can suggest you can create a feel of randomness by playing with the players expectations. If it seems really likely that they'll be able to dodge, have it hit anyway sometimes; or have them get away by the skin of their teeth when they were certain they'd have to bite it. Just make sure you give a decent reason for the dodge to fail or succeed each time, no matter how unexpected the result was.

Wherein they players have basic skill/magic/luck stats.

Yep, it makes successes better and failures less bad. Nobody's rolled a crit yet so I've done well buying weighted dice .

Status
Not open for further replies.