From Scratch !

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
C

Closer

Original poster
Right, at the age of 19 I have NO experience in drawing. But I want to draw my own characters for my RP ideas !

I will attempt to learn how to draw characters in an 'Anime' Style, From scratch.
Wish me luck ! I will post pictures of different attempts....

~HoldMeCloser

Day/Night #1:

As I suspected, there is a knack to drawing, and it doesn't come just because you want it. Here's some first try's, Sanji was a step by step which is basically just sketching so that doesn't count, but that is the art style I want to be able to draw in eventually!

The other ones are from using a mix of guides and walk through video's. Got to start somewhere but I'm struggling with proportion I think. Still, you live and learn.

img_0125_1__by_owenlearnstosketch-d6eodtg.jpg

img_0126_1__by_owenlearnstosketch-d6eoe6u.jpg

img_0127_1__by_owenlearnstosketch-d6eoekk.jpg

Day #2: So Mark Crilley is amazing ! I know this doesn't count as me drawing my own as such, but this is much closer to the style I want to draw in ! Here is the link i used to draw this !

img_0128_1__by_owenlearnstosketch-d6eqvit.jpg

Reactions: TiedInBone
WIP trying to draw features without following a video.

img_0130_1__by_owenlearnstosketch-d6ernaw.jpg

Finished first attempt of drawing my own Idea, (On Skype with TiedInBone for pointers.) Having trouble getting the features in proportion but its a start ! :D

img_0131_1__by_owenlearnstosketch-d6err6b.jpg

Night #2:

So this is my first attempt at drawing something closer to the style I like from scratch ! I based the style from the video I watched by Mark Crilley, but i changed the features, angle and hairstyle. I am quite proud of this one !

img_0132_1__by_owenlearnstosketch-d6etf9a.jpg

Practicing using the same face, but changing certain aspects, mainly the hair.

img_0133_1__by_owenlearnstosketch-d6ewqkk.jpg

img_0134_1__by_owenlearnstosketch-d6ewqtf.jpg

img_0135_1__by_owenlearnstosketch-d6ewr0l.jpg

Didn't have much motivation tonight ! so I drew my first chibi instead :') Meet Kei everyone !

my_first_chibi_by_owenlearnstosketch-d6f6olu.jpg

Day I don't even know anymore# So here is my latest creation, I drew this one on my own, no help, no videos, but I did use the face structure to start it off. It came out quite well I think.
img_0170_1__by_owenlearnstosketch-d6fe6yp.jpg

Reactions: Esthalia
These are very wonderful! So much progress! If you ever want any help, let me know! I've helped people over Skype before :)

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Thank you ! If you have any pointers on hair in particular that would be much appreciated !

well, It depends on what kind of hair you're looking to draw. If you want that bulky look, you're on the right path. You just have to give it less randomness and more form. If you are looking for detailed hair: Always remember that the hair starts at the top head and flows downward.

• Thank You
For a beginner, these are pretty good. Drawing is a skill and with enough practice, you'll get there. When you're starting your drawing, you should draw lightly, like almost as if you were sketching so that when you do erase the lines it doesn't show and it's easier to fix mistakes. You can also try using different kinds of pencils, they give you different depths/shades/etc and depending on what you like, sometimes your art comes out even better (I like graphite pencils). Also, sometimes using lined paper helps you with proportions!

Keep up the good work, :D.

• Thank You