From Beneath the Waves

Korin gave his head a little shake, not sure himself, but he couldn't explain the feeling. "No. I think I still have to." He took a couple of slow breaths and gently released her hand, holding on to the dock with the other for a moment as he reached for the pillar to keep himself balance, and managed a faint, somewhat shaky smile. "But if I don't come back up after a while, maybe come get me."

Maybe she wasn't strong enough to fight the violent ocean waves he'd found her in, but she at least knew how to swim in a human body.

When he could convince himself, Korin let go of the dock, clinging to the mossy, slippery pillar for a moment to keep from plunging fully under, then took a few slow breaths to fill his lungs with air. Finally, he held his breath and pushed down, dunking his head under the water - it was harder than he'd imagined to keep himself from floating back up, but a hand on the pillar was enough to keep him from drifting far enough to lift his head above water.

It didn't take very long at all to feel the first hint of pain in his lungs, so unused to holding his breath as he was, but only a second after he started to feel the strange magic again, rippling strangely across his body. He could recognize it now, at least, and relaxed rather than try to fight it, just keeping his eyes closed and his heart as calm as he could until finally, as his chest began to truly ache, he could feel his body drawing oxygen from the water again and could finally let go of the breath he'd held.

A full minute or so after ducking beneath the water, the transformation that was likely partially visible in the bright daylight from so close to the surface came to completion, and Korin popped his head back above the water with fins and scales back in place, mingled relief and stress clear on his face.

". . . It worked," he managed wearily, looking up at Olivia on the dock and reaching up to touch the dock so he wouldn't float away. "I don't. . . I don't know what just happened. . ." Everything was so foreign to him, so unexpected, he couldn't help but feel distress even though it was over. With a little shake of his head, he pulled himself up enough to take her hand again and give it a grateful squeeze. "I think . . . I need to go. Thank you. For helping me."

If not for her, he didn't know what he would have done. She had been so kind to him, trying to keep him calm and give him reassurance, and he wasn't sure how he would repay her. But he had so many questions. He needed to go and find Minamet. If anyone would be able to identify the strange magic, it would be her.

Last edited:
She reluctantly let go of his hand, his smile helped reassure her a little but not enough to convince her that is wasn't a risky idea, still she nodded and managed to smile back a little nervously.

She stood at the very edge of the dock, ready to dive in the second she was needed. Thankfully, she could see him quite clearly so she could look for signs of distress.

Nothing seemed to be happening and it felt like a long time, she was tensing up and just about to jump in, when she noticed him finally starting to change.

Sighing with relief, she relaxed a little and waited for him to resurface. She smiled when he did, though she was still concerned.

She shook her head a little, "you don't have to thank me, it's what friends do." She smiled and squeezed his hand back when he took it, "I understand just please be careful ok?"

Korin nodded a little, though he was reluctant to let go of her and held on just a moment longer. "I will. . . I'll come back soon." He was in shock, he thought, but he wasn't going to stay away just because something scary had happened.

When he could manage it, he finally released her and let himself drift back in the water, staying up for a moment as he pushed away from the dock to look at her one last time, then finally tuned and dove down to start swimming. If he was going to get back to the pod to get answers and then return to his home before dark, he had to swim fast.

She smiled a little when he said he'd come back, she was greatly relieved to hear that. She was afraid that this whole thing might scare him off, and while she'd understand, it would still hurt.

When he turned back to look, she gave him a little wave then watched him swim away. Now that he was back to his normal self, she knew she should be fine

Still she couldn't help but worry about him, and hope he'd get back home safely.

Minamet was the mer that had raised him, taught him his magics, and he had spent more time with her than anyone, but when he spoke to her Korin felt almost as if he had never met her before. In one conversation, everything had been flipped upside down, like the currents had spun him dizzy and spat him out in the middle of nowhere. The pod felt more like strangers than they ever had, and his home felt so empty it made him too anxious to rest. Without knowing where else to go, he swam for shore.

It was late into the night when he got to Olivia's beach, or perhaps it was early morning, he had no concept of time anymore. Her light wasn't out for him, which felt lonely even though he knew she wasn't expecting him to come back, but he pulled himself up onto the dock anyway to take the whistle she had given him from where it hung on a string around his neck. He wasn't sure if it was loud enough to reach her, or if she would even be listening, but while he lay miserably sprawled out on his back there he blew a long, loud note three times just to see if she would come out to see him, or if he would have to lie there until morning. They had only met days ago, but he hadn't known where else to go.

Last edited:
Olivia had looked out for him earlier, lingering later than she usually did to see if he'd come back. She hadn't really expected him too, she was just worried about him, he'd seemed so... off when he left earlier.

Finally she'd called it a night and headed back home, though even then she stayed up, feeling oddly restless. She had just decided to change, still dressed in jeans and a jumper, and go to bed, when the faint but still sharp sound of his whistle pierced the air.

She'd given it to him in case he needed to call her, and also since he seemed to enjoy it. Grabbing her lantern and hurrying down to the beach, she spotted him lying on the dock and rushed to kneel by his side.

He looked awful and she worried he'd been given some awful news, concern clear in her gaze and tone. "Korin?" "Are you alright?" "What happened?"

It was a relief to hear Olivia's footsteps in the sand, even if he didn't know what she could possibly do to make him feel less horrible inside. He only rolled onto his side as she got closer to him, a hand pressed to his forehead as if he were in physical pain.

"No. . ." he managed miserably when she asked if he was all right, giving his head a weary shake. "I'm tired. . . Can I stay here?" If he tried to change back again, then he could go to her house and stay with her, couldn't he? Just for a little while, just until it stopped feeling as if he didn't know which way was up and which was down anymore. There was so much to tell her, but he didn't know how to explain it all.

She blinked a little in surprise at his question, but then she nodded without hesitation. "Yes, of course you can." She sat down beside him, she guessed he was going to change again, otherwise she'd just stay here with him.

She put a gentle hand on his shoulder, "do you want to tell me what's wrong?" "I'm here to listen, but if not, it's fine okay?" "Just, I'm here to help if I can."

Korin could only shake his head at first, curling his body in towards where she sat but without touching her, the warmth of her hand on his shoulder a small comfort. "I went to see Minamet," he explained, his voice small and pained. "I thought, if anyone knew what kind of magic had touched me . . . it would be her."

She had always been the person he went to when he needed answers. And he'd gotten them. He just didn't like what she had to say.

"She told me when she found me I was dying," he continued with further audible strain, having told Olivia as much before but feeling as if he were forcing the words out past shards of glass in his throat, "and she used her magic to save me. . . She didn't tell me I was drowning. . . She didn't tell me how much she changed me."

The pain in his voice hurt her heart, he was usually so happy, his voice strong and filled with curiosity and enthusiasm, this was an stark unsettling change.

When he mentioned seeing Minamet, she thought at first he'd told her about their visits. Was that why he was so upset? Why he wanted to stay here? Had he been banished for talking to a human?

As he continued she looked shocked as she'd started to put the pieces together, but she didn'tsay anything. She could be wrong, but more importantly, she thought this was something he had to get off his chest himself.

Still she could gently encourage, "how did she change you Korrin?" She asked softly, warm concern in her eyes.

Olivia's expression hardly registered. Korin felt as if he couldn't look at her for long, both hands pressed to his face as if hiding would make it all not be true. Even if he had the words, nothing felt right anymore.

"She gave me my fins," he said when he could swallow past the lump in his throat, his tail fins giving a faint smack against the wooden dock as if just thinking about it was too much to stay still. "When - When I was born . . . When she found me, I had legs. . . I was never . . ." he could only shake his head, a faint whine in his throat like he couldn't find the right words. "Nothing makes sense anymore. . ." And yet, so many things did at the same time. He was so confused. He didn't feel well.

So it was true then, and was it any wonder he was so upset? His whole world had been turned upside down, his whole identity, revealed to be a lie.

She didn't know what to say, there wasn't really anything she could say, not to make it better anyway. She couldn't understand this, at least not specifically, but she did have experience with things like it.

So she did the only thing she could, the only thing that might help, she pulled him up gently, so she could wrap her arms around him in a hug.

She only hoped it would comfort him a little, to know she was there for him, that she wanted to help, that she cared. "I'm so sorry Korin."

Korin wanted to lie down and hide for the rest of time, somewhere where he wouldn't have to think anymore. Still, when Olivia
pulled on him he pushed himself up, confused and wondering what she wanted from him, and when she hugged him went quiet and still. It took him only a handful of seconds to relax, to put his arms around her and hold on tight. How long had it been since someone had held him? He'd almost forgotten how it felt.

"I didn't know what to do," he murmured into her shoulder, feeling drained and lost. "I just . . . swam here. . . Thank you for coming." She'd heard him and come to see him, to check on him and hold his hand again. With Minamet's place in his life thrown into such upheaval, he realized he'd had nowhere else to go. It had been a long time since he'd felt so lonely.

For a moment she was worried she'd overstepped and made him uncomfortable, thankfully her doubts disappeared as he hugged her back.

"You're welcome, but like I said you don't have to thank me." She replied softly, "you're my friend now and that means I'm always here for you."

Her words were utterly sincere, she was a very loyal person and so she was always ready to do anything to help her family and friends.

How could he not thank her? She was the only person he really considered a friend anymore, the only one that seemed to enjoy his company without needing any sort of transaction or purpose to it when they spoke. In a moment of distress, she was willing to hold his hand or hug him close and help him feel better. He was too grateful for her simply being with him to not say thank you.

Korin clung to her for probably a little too long before finally beginning to let go, rubbing a hand over his eyes as he sat up on his own but not quite tearing up yet. "Sorry," he murmured softly, not wanting to bother her by holding on for too long, and took a careful, shaking breath to try and calm himself. "It's late. You should be sleeping. . ." He hoped he hadn't woken her, though he wasn't sure why she would still have been awake on her own. "I . . . I would try to change back . . . I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

He thought he might be able to do it voluntarily, now that he'd felt it once before, but he had nothing to cover himself with afterwards. With everything so complicated, he hoped she wouldn't mind if he came to her home after all, if only so he wouldn't be alone for a while.

She held him close, only letting go once he did. She leaned back and smiled, shaking her head a little. "It's fine, I was still up." "It's the weekend tomorrow and I'm kind of a night owl anyway."

She blushed a little, but didn't seem as flustered as she had earlier, more concerned with his feelings. "I can run up and grab a towel or something."

She wasn't sure if he was OK with being alone for even that long, so she pulled off her jumper, since she had a shirt underneath. "Or you could use this, I've got some spare clothes you can wear once we get up there."

Korin nodded a little when she held out her sweater, taking it from her carefully as if afraid to harm it though he'd already gotten it damp when she'd hugged him since he hadn't laid out long enough to get dry. "I can use this," he said softly, thinking it probably wouldn't cover him fully but that it was dark and she would be walking ahead of him anyway. "Thank you. . . It might take a minute."

He had to concentrate to remember how it had felt, changing shapes so strangely, and for a moment he sat very still with his eyes closed, just thinking. Now that he'd done it once, and that he understood what magic had changed him, it was relatively simple to make it happen again on his own. The way his body changed shapes was still strange, a discomfort bordering on painful but never really crossing the line. He wondered if he would ever get used to it.

When he was finally done, sitting on the dock with bare legs instead of a tail despite still dripping water from his hair, he gave himself a moment to adjust before shifting around enough to tie his borrowed clothing around his waist, since it seemed to be the only area that bothered her. When that was done, he made his way a bit shakily to his feet, a tremble in the way he breathed still but relatively steady on his own.

"I think . . . I think I can walk on my own." He said uncertainly, not wanting to bother her by having to hold him up as she had the last time. He thought he was doing okay on feet for it only being the second time he had them. ". . . I'll go slow." He still didn't feel well, but the awful, tangled mess inside him at least felt a little bit warmer, having a friend to follow home.

She nodded a little and got to her feet, "of course, take your time." She turned to face the beach, giving him some privacy. She had thought at first he might need to dry out again, but it seemed like he could control it himself now.

Hearing him stand up, she turned back to face him. She frowned a little when he said he'd walk on his own, she wasn't sure he was quite steady enough for that.

However he seemed fairly determined to do it himself, so she nodded a little. "OK if that's what you want, but I'm happy to help if you need me alright?"

She matched his pace, walking only a step or two ahead of him so she was ready to help him if he needed it. "Do you want to take a hot shower or anything?"

It was a pretty chilly night and she thought it might comforting, "oh and are you hungry?"

Korin nodded a little when she said she would help, a faint smile on his face at the thought that she already had, though it came across a little sad still. "Thank you," he said again, and gave a small wince afterwards. "Sorry. I'll stop." She didn't want him thanking her and he kept doing it. He couldn't help it.

Getting to his feet was more difficult than walking, though he did take it slow and when he reached the sand even slower as footing became uncertain. Did he remember using those muscles before? Did he know how to do it because he had, once upon a time? He still couldn't remember anything from before Minamet had found him. He wondered if it would ever come back, or if that would even make anything easier.

"Shower?" He repeated, eyes mostly on his own feet to be sure he wouldn't fall, hands out just a bit for balance. "I . . . I suppose." He knew what a shower was, though he didn't know what it looked like and had never used one before - at least, that he could remember. "I don't think I should eat anything. . . I'm sorry." He didn't feel hungry, though he hadn't eaten since the last time he'd seen her and had swam long distances since. Somehow, he wasn't sure if his stomach would be very receptive to putting anything in it when it felt like it was constantly full of butterflies.

She shook her head softly, giving him a gentle smile. "It's okay, don't worry about it." It didn't bother her really, she just didn't feel like she was doing anything that he needed to thank her for.

Keeping an eye on him, she slowed to match his speed. He was pretty good on his feet, considering it was only his second time, though of course it wasn't. "It's alright, just let me know if you do get hungry later and I'll fix you something."

Her cottage was just a few minutes way from the edge of the beach, it sat on a grassy block of land, shr had let it stay pretty natural, clover and flowers were abundant with a few trees scattered here and there.

It had a long dirt driveway as it was set far back from the road, and thankfully she had no neighbours to worry about disturbing. The back of the cottage faced the ocean, and had a dark wooden deck with some outdoor furniture.

She turned to look at him as they reached the back steps, the house was on a raised foundation so the stairs were fairly steep. "Do you need a hand getting up the stairs?"