Freelance Writing

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CrimsonMaiden

Original poster
I've been looking around for something to make a little extra money while using the skills I already posses and always end up at freelance writing. I was just curious about what you all think about freelance work. Have any of you ever tried it? Does anyone have any experiences with a site they would like to share or advice to give when looking at this type of thing?

In my opinion, as long as research is done and you know who you're dealing with, I think it could be a good way to get a little extra cash, especially for a college student like myself. What do you guys think?

I work as a freelance writer so here's a couple of tips:

• If you do not have a degree in the field of English, Communications, or Journalism, you will more than likely not be hired. And sometimes employers will want you to know things in other fields, like history, business, medical, politics, technology, etc. So you gotta prove that you not only know how to write, but you gotta be knowledgeable about several subjects.
  • Although if your clips are fucking awesome, there is a chance you could be hired. If you are a food blogger, an aspiring journalist, or someone who frequently reviews video games, you could potentially get yourself a job. Your employers want to see that you are committed to the work before they hire you on. A PORTFOLIO IS A MUST.
  • Beware of scams. I've fallen into those, so you gotta be weary. A shitastic ad means that it's a scam and an employer who doesn't care about you. Payment and how you will be paid should also be discussed before you begin working.
  • Internet connection is a must.
  • Be familiar with social media and Wordpress, SEO, or Blogger.
  • Once you do get hired, make sure you have a productive space for you to work in. Working at home brings up its own challenges, mainly distractions. Have kids? Make sure they don't bother you when you're working. Have an internet connection? (Of course you do). Make sure you don't squander your time on Youtube, Facebook, Iwaku, etc.

Reactions: Peter Feels
Status
Not open for further replies.