Forum Roleplay Tips?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
C

Crafter

Original poster
I have a dream to one day run a great forum! One that is active for at least a few months. I'm currently unsure as to what it is I'm doing wrong.

I take a friendly approach to being in-charge. I try to make sure everyone feels included, offer positive feedback when I have to critique characters, encourage those in my forums to be kind to each other. I'm not a pushover though, I will put my foot down on any hate speech happening, and ban trolls outright.

I am online frequently. I'm not the sort who makes forums, and then abandons them.

I'm very lenient on characters. The way I see it, as long as someone is not functionally, invincible/perfect then I'm okay with it. This is especially true of superhero forums, I've seen so many Admins of other forums, act like anything stronger than base human, is just way too powerful. I honestly can't recall how many times I've had a human OC, with human weaknesses, with only human level strength, and yet got told that I needed to add on more weaknesses.

I encourage well-made posts. I'm not anal about it, but I do try to get people to post at least a paragraph.

Overall I'm a friendly person, and I'm not sure what I'm not doing right when it comes to making a forum that people are invested in. It kind of hurts me when I work my butt off on a forum, and then see another, poorly made forum, full of one liners, have far more interest.

Anyway I'm open to any, and all tips.

Thank you

When you say "forum" do you mean a site like Iwaku? Or do you mean a thread? A thread would be where you post something on Iwaku, for example to start a roleplay.

The advice varies wildly depending on what exactly it is you mean; that's why I'd like to get clarification.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
When you say "forum" do you mean a site like Iwaku? Or do you mean a thread? A thread would be where you post something on Iwaku, for example to start a roleplay.

The advice varies wildly depending on the type of advice you're looking for.

I make forums on Fanfiction.net