Five Word Challenge #7

K

Kitti

Original poster
Five Word Challenge
Presented by: Kitti!

[bg=#C5E3BF]
This challenge is to help strengthen your vocabulary. You'll learn new words and how to use them in roleplay posts, stories, poems, etc!

Instructions:
1. Aim for a minimum of 1-3 paragraphs. If you'd like to write more than that, then go for it!
2. Make sure you use each word in your post. Be as creative as you'd like.
3. Style the writing like you would for a story. It can be describing a setting, or written from the perspective of a character. Whatever you feel would work the best.
4. Have fun with this, of course!

The Words:

• Banal (adj.) - Boring; common; ordinary; dull.
    [*] Palliate (v.) - Ease pain; make less offensive.
    [*] Waive (v.) - To give up a claim to; forgo.
    [*] Harangue (n.) - A lengthy and loud public speech.
    [*] Victuals (n.) - A source of materials to nourish the body.

[/bg]

This was no banal day. The peasant girl was dying, and no one would help her. Her father had waived her off when she attempted to go back home, she wasn't anyones, she wasn't owned anymore. But she was still dieing. She attempted to give a harangue in the middle of the old square, murchants walking by with there carts, mages selling spells, but no one paying her any mind.

The girl needed to find someone with victuals, someone to save her and palliate her wounds. She attempted to make a journey to the kings castle, but she was too sick, to wounded. Her cuts were infected, and all she felt from her arm was pain. Then a boy, no a man, came to her. He saw her pain, and he looked like he could help. She went with him, not knowing his name or who he was, and not really caring. He healed her, easing all her pain, and fixing her.

She had nothing to pay him with, but she felt she owed him. She said she had no money, and he said, "Then you'll have to repay me another way," an eye brow raising on his handsome face. She gasped and shook her head, backing away from him, but he only laughed, "Don't flatter yourself, I mean you'll be my servant until you've payed off your dept," he smiled, rolling his eyes and shaking his head. He smiled though and said, "Start by cleaning the house," he said simply, standing and walking out of the room. She watched him go, and felt her face grow hot, she had already fallen for him, and yet she didn't even know who he was. Maybe she'd find out being his servant and all.

The boy felt faceless sitting at his computer over such a long period of time. Everything was so banal that he was wishing for something palliate. But nothing in there changed, except the people sometimes.Some would come and purchase victuals and sip their coffee, while others waived off the vice and opted for a more cerebral context. How he loathed those people...the ones who were most like him. He wished he could just harangue them and make them just go away. But it would not happen. So he sighed and went back to working on his computer.

"I do not give this harange just to palliate those who have lost a love one. I give it to give hope!" Silia, the mage princess of the Wolf Throne began. "I give it to you, my people to open your eyes! Go ahead and think of these words as you wish, banal or otherwise, they must be said!." She stood there, the air of confidence around her almost unbearable. Her formal mage robes were pooled at the floor where she stood, nothing of the like had every been seen before. For it looked as if she were being consumed by the stars themselves. The black velvet of them so much like the night sky, as the white gems sewn in sparkled with a magnificance like no other.

"My people, I will NOT WAIVE the wrong doings of those who have done this to us. Those who have damaged our land with power and blood lust. I could never do such a thing as forgive and forget on such an immense scale. Our victuals have been stolen, in more ways then one. Love, food, trust, all thrown over the edge as if they were nothing. Leaving nothing but a chasm as large as Death Valley it's self. Where we can see no end to the fall. Have we not the right to dispise those who withhold us from what we need to survive in this already ugly world?!" Silia's anger was eminating into the crowd, and they started to get restless, as the responded with affirmation to her calls.

"My people! Instead of the heathans we have been acting as, acting only for ourselves, we shall now work as one! As one body and one mind! Against this evil!" Another cry of agreement rings through the hall, "My people! Let us not be the animals we once were, clawing at eachothers throats, and seeing backstabbing at every turn! Instead, let me lead you my people! Let me show you there is a better way to the future!" Another howl of approval rings out, echoing all around. "We are the people of the Wolf Throne! Let us be the wolves, a pack, united by one goal! For we are more powerful then they shall every be!" And with that end. She turned leaving the hall as her people called her name in jubilation and cheer. The revolution had begun.

So it began, the beginning of another year... of school. The center of the universe! where every teenager is so wrapped up in their own lives they do stupid things and pretend it's everyone else's fault. (Haha, sure!) Only to realize about eight years later to reflect on that behavior (or for some maybe not so.) Then, instead end up being the hard working adult complaining that the teenager complains too much about their rubbish lives and are making everybody else's lives miserable (...and so the circle of life continues.)

One of the most banal occurrences when returning to school is of course the over exaggerated harangue on how they want to improve your lives to make you better people, that you should follow rules and regulations and you will go far in life. Yet all students like myself of course, waive away from these rules and do whatever the heck they want anyway! Which totally makes sense anyway, I mean hell it just goes to say that we're trying to think for ourselves right? Then in an attempt to palliate the three long uneventful three hours listening to them talk crap which we weren't listening to anyway, they give us an hour and a half break to consume our victuals to keep our energy levels...yeah whatever just give me a can of energy drink, then you'll see energy; for a short time anyway.

At this point everybody cheers up for a while, people make friends but that hour later... you're suddenly bored again and stuck at square one. Sat starring into space like a zombie and complaining to everybody else that this is taking way too damn long, only to be replied to by a chorus of long drawn out sighs that agree with you. (Why's it always like this? couldn't a school throw a party or whatever? At least some of the teachers are hot... the girls in class too.) Think I'll zone out for a while.

"Arcturus! This play is so boring!" Callista whined, tugging on her older brother's sleeve. "Can we please go?" She was very bored, watching yet another reenactment of Antigone and she just wanted to go home now instead of sitting, bored stiff, through the next half of the play, which had absolutely no appeal for the vivacious sixteen-year old.

The older man turned to her, annoyed. "Callista, go and palliate your hunger, and leave me alone! Here, I forgo to you a few denarius to buy yourself some victuals from the vendor down there." He waved her away, and she hurried off down the stairs, pocketing the several coins that her brother had given her.

Suddenly she heard a man delivering a long harangue, and she groaned as she paused to look at the dirty beggar.

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Caesar. The noble Brutus
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answer'd it..."

Callista rolled her eyes at the banal speech, and she hurried on to the vendor, already eyeing the delicious food on display.