Finding Home

Brooke stared at a wall, contemplating what Alice had said until she was asked a question and was forced to speak.

"Some of my pack members call me Bren. I answer to it." She stated shortly, concerned that Alice would sense the half-lie in her tone or put together the pieces of the puzzle. She had no idea if Alice had heard of Brooklyn Page, but she felt that the woman was shrewd enough to shove two and two together. Bren... Brooklyn.... It was a fairly obvious nickname.

Brooke sighed heavily and swiveled her head to look up at Alice. "I like him. I want to smack that constant smirk off his face, but I like him. He seems respectable enough, honorable enough, even if he's slightly closed minded. He's given me a chance mostly thanks to you, and i can tell the jury is still out about me in his head, but he's been unexpectedly nice to me despite that. He's not shown me an ounce of aggression or hint of annoyance, so it's hard to discern what he really thinks. Is he always so difficult?"

((Sorry I took so long; I was in India >.> ))

((It's okay, I've been a little out of it too.))

Alice laughed. "He can be quite difficult. But, I guess he's gotten a little more... understanding over the years. I've been his right hand for a while, but I'm young by comparison. I wouldn't let him bother you, Bren. I can't tell you what he's thinking, but I'm sure he's doing what he can to get all the information he needs to be fair but firm with what his decision will be for you."

Greg walked back in and set down a tray with a coffee carafe, a tea pot, a small container with various teas, and four mugs. "If you need milk or honey or anything, now would be the time to tell me," he said as he turned over a couple mugs and placed them in front of Alice and Bren. Then he took a third mug and poured some coffee, taking a sip of it black with a hum of approval. "I think I'm going to have to send a search party for Evan if he's not here soon. I'd hate to have to find someone else to take his spot."

Brooke had no time to answer Alice before Greg walked back in and the thought of piping hot tea cleared away all rational thought temporarily. She had to move like a tortoise to keep from spilling the tea all over herself, and once she held the mug firmly in small hands the world seemed a little bit nicer overall.

"Thanks for the tea," Brooke sighed, blowing the rising steam away from her mug. "Tell me about your pack, Greg. I want to know what I'm dealing with."

She attempted to rise to her feet but gave up to save energy, instead scooting so that she sat as hidden behind Greg as possible.

Greg was almost amused by this mutt's behavior and settled comfortably.

"My pack is almost a hundred bodies deep, between the males, females, and pups. That's why I actually have Evan in a second-beta position. He isn't just a high ranking pack member, he actually has the title of Beta but it's recognized that he is lower than Alice," Greg explained, calculating what he could tell her without giving away too many details. "Our territory is from each side of this town and then five thousand miles in every direction. I'm sure you sniffed out a few of the markers when you came across the edge."

Greg took another sip of his mug and looked out the window.

"We have all the resources we need here. We grow and raise our own food, though we do hunt for wild game often enough that we don't grow bored but not so often that we kill out or chase off the herds and such in this area. Sometimes we go on pack runs for those who want to and are old enough."

Greg looked at the door as it opened, revealing a younger looking man with a rather cheery disposition.

"Evan. Took you long enough," he growled playfully.

Evan grinned. "Sorry, I got caught up with some of the young pups fighting near the school." He glanced at Bren. "Is this the girl you two are going crazy about? You don't look dangerous, even for a mutt."