FateGuard

Alyss smiled quietly up at Malwin as she felt her back against the stone, her arms snaking around his body. As their mouths collided, she clung to him. Perhaps it was his body heat she craved so much, or the passion he poured out for her. She smiled as their lips parted, though she wished they didn't have to part. The FateGuard wouldn't understand it, and no one else needed to know but them. She knew of his ailing family, of his curse- and he knew of the rumors of the people, the cold feel of her skin.

Her mentor would die before she told him- especially since he was one of the healers that was trying to help Malwin's family. So many times she had helped her mentor craft possible solutions, grinding herbs, creating extracts. It was exhausting work, and it was nothing but a headache for her mentor. It was only a small blessing that they were alive- or was it a curse? She wanted them to recover... but... at the same time...

As he slipped within his house, she merely looked up at the moon- it looked so bright in the night sky, so pale. Unlike harsh sunlight, it felt embracing to be in the light of the moon. It was much more peaceful for her at night, than during the day. Plus, Malwin could see in the night time, so it was more comfortable for both of them.

Only one moment seemed to pass before Malwin had returned, speaking to her- though it was his breath that she focused on. It was easy enough to figure out what he was saying, and in that moment, she leaned forward, pressing her forehead against his with a small smile before she kissed him. She pulled his body closer, her hands running over his chest and back- the night was quiet aside from their breathing and she could feel his heart, beating strongly with life within the confines of his rib cage. They had built a trust between them. He was the only one that she trusted with herself completely. With everyone else, she was afraid to touch, afraid to say too much, afraid that fear and rumors would grow. Even in the FateGuard, she knew she was cast in the shadows, but Malwin was her anchor. He understood her, and he never flinched at the absence of heat from her skin.

"It's been quite some time since I've felt your touch." She spoke softly as she drew her lips away, and holding onto him tightly. Her head alighted upon his chest as she enjoyed the warmth from his body. Her cold black eyes looked up at him, framed in pale skin and moonlit hair, there was no warmth in her body, but towards him, she was anything but cold. In part, she needed him, depended on him. Her lips found his neck, the pulse of his heart in a vein under her lips. Her favorite part of his body, besides his chest. She kissed the skin there a few times with a small smile.

"I believe we should make use of this time... I'm sure that Corben won't let our kin be in danger this early in the night..." She spoke softly as she led him down further alleys and streets until her hair was only a glimmer in the darkness that she had led them to. Far from where anyone would hear them or see them, so they could remain a secret. She turned to the man that she had grown to long for, pressing her body against his, every womanly curve she possessed was aching to be touched, to feel warmth, to feel him. So many times she had watched him come in and get the medicine for his family from her mentor, and now it seemed frightening, like one day, her mentor would figure out what was going on with his charge...

She couldn't remember how it began, but he was the first one to touch her in such ways, and now it was all she knew. She craved his warmth, she craved his touch. Her hands pulled clothes from both of their bodies, and every newly uncovered part of his body was caressed by her thin fingers while her mouth sought out his, wanting to taste his again. Unveiled, her body pressed against his skin, a hunger for his warmth and his flesh growing steadily as she gazed into his eyes pleadingly, moving against him. It almost wasn't fair what he did to her, the hunger and wanting that he caused her, needing him- almost as if he was an addiction.

"Malwin." She mewled his name softly under her breath.

Summary: Alyss and Malwin have a relationship, the end.

As Dyne was struck with the orange, his eyes had been sprayed with it's juices, stinging them and forcing them to instinctively close. He cringed as he reached up and began picking away the pieces from his visor. As he did, he heard what was being said within the house, and after the commotion was over, he pulled off his helmet and rubbed his eyes until they stopped stinging enough for him to open them. He was wondering what had hit him, and held out a few of the pieces in front of him to see.

"What is... An orange?! This is... What the hell!?"

He threw the orange pieces onto the ground and looked around, seeing the old man and the dog. Clearly, the werewolf was not there. They had been mistaken. Realizing this, he walked out of the house, feeling incredibly embarrassed and downright foolish.

"Unbelievable! This is NOT how I imagined my return. We are supposed to be better than this!"

Eric visibly relaxed as he realized what had just happened. Quietly the sword slid back into its sheath as a bemused grin crossed his face. The yells of surprise by the FateGuard members being somewhat drowned out by the curses and shouts of the old man. All things considered, this was the best of outcomes, no ambush here.

"Unbelievable! This is NOT how I imagined my return. We are supposed to be better than this!" Eric heard Dyne speak as he beat a hasty retreat out of the house. Behind Dyne, the old man had resorted to taking a half filled beer bottle Derek's armored head. One could only hope it was still filled with stale alcohol and not something else as it promptly shattered on contact with the metal and drenched Derek.

"Hey, maybe when he is done introducing himself to ya, we can ask him if he's seen anything lately? " Eric yelled to those still unlucky to be inside the house.

"That was priceless, you guys. But, now, I must know. What all is this about here? I haven't an idea what's going on right now. Could someone fill me in, please?"

"Eh?" Eric pulled his eyes away from the commotion in the house and glanced at Erilyn, whose features were half lit from the lanterns surrounding the house. He suddenly realized how dark it was now, the streets were filled long shadows and the dim orange glow of others lights within homes. He took a more somber tone as he spoke.

"Eh, a murder just up Helm street," Eric jerked a thumb in the chill air up the road.

"He was torn to bits so we figured some feral beast of sorts was the cause. The Twin's followed a scent trail here, but you see what it led too."

Ferrick followed after the others, standing in the back of the group as Arkavenn battered the wall down, though as the situation advanced he grew less and less confident. At first he was with the others, ready to get the beast. It was probably for the best that he was behind the others, as Arkavenn swung his expression suddenly drooped.

Here? It was the right neighborhood, but... it was bright. Too well lit. The beast couldn't be in the light like this, people would see it... and people couldn't see it. It wouldn't come into the light like this, not if I couldn't help it. It would stay hidden, not... not here.

Just how this realization came to him Ferrick couldn't say. It might have been plain common sense, that the monsters always kept to the dark. Certainly he'd been pushing to get the streets lit for this reason for years. But this monster, now? This... werewolf. The word 'werewolf' came slowly to him. He didn't want to believe that something like a werewolf had found its way into the walls. That was the worst kind of monster, one that didn't always appear to be one. It could have been anyone, anyone he'd passed on the street, or...

No, there wasn't anything productive down that line of thought. As everyone piled inside Ferrick turned with his back to the house, looking around the street, making sure there was nothing approaching before stepping inside, the scent assaulting his nose as much as fruit had assaulted his comrades. Ferrick coughed, leaning on his spear as he watched the others with the old man.

No, no werewolves here for sure.

An apple flew from the doorway and smacked Atlas on hard on the forehead. Blinking, the mage peered into the home, seeing an old man and his dog. The old man was raving mad, and his measly old mutt wasn't helping matters, barking as everyone else tried to shout out orders. He felt his heart sink... This wasn't suppose to happen. They weren't suppose to break into someone's home. God they were already on thin ice, now the whole city would hear of their stupidity - breaking into an old man's house, and him defending himself with apples and oranges. It didn't help matters that one of their own was laughing, not that he blamed Erilyn but still...

Atlas moaned, covering his entire face with his hand. It was a disaster. A complete and absolute disaster. And what's more - the creature could still be out there, already killing innocent citizens.

With Eric's explanation, casual as it might be, Erilyn's laughing face became somber instantly. The situation at hand was no longer some sort of mislead attempt to get information and she was surprised that they were still spending time here in the house of the old man. Derek and Corben had made a mistake, as all the best were cursed to do from time to time, but now it seemed like they ought to hurry in patching up the misunderstanding. Erilyn knew the other members of the group, the twins and Malwin, well enough to know that the Fateguard was armed with intuitive trackers. What was going on, exactly?

Stepping back from the house and casting a glance at Helm Street, Erilyn raised the arm with her shield. There were a few members of the part missing now, Malwin among them, from the looks of it. She suspected that he was home, caring for his family. Despite the rumors of him, many of the Fateguard knew about his home situation. among them, Erilyn admired Malwin for his dedication to his family. They were ill and he cared for them, a paragon of a patriarch. She could fully understand whenever he was not around.

The matter of Alyss's absence was somewhat more confusing, though it was possible that she had caught sickness and could not make it. Other members were less frequent patrollers of danger, so much so that it was hardly worth noting the rest of the absences. It looked as though the twins would be the trackers of this night, hopefully they had been with the body and been able to... smell it, she supposed is what they did. She fought to suppress a shudder. Try as she might to accept them, they still unsettled her deeply.

"What leads do we have? Did anyone witness the murder? No murderer would risk going outside the Gates at night." The confidence in Erilyn's words stemmed from the word usage. Eric was precise with his words and she had little reason to question them. If he said murder, Erilyn ruled out the possibility of it being a man wounded by one of the fell creatures from outside the gate. Being late, grasping for information, this was frustrating.

"Come on, what are we doing just standing around being beaten by an old man? If there's a murderer on the loose, he might kill someone in his flight."

"Oh, the FateGuard, eh?" the old man sneered as he dangled in Derek's grip. "Conceited swine! Where were the FateGuard last night, eh?!"

"We were fighting DRAGONS!" Corben roared as he got up again and rounded on the old man. It took every ounce of restraint not to strike him.

"Arf! Arf!" The mutt was still snapping at Alexander's ankles.

"Where was my protection, eh? Precious FateGuard! Eh?" The old man started cuffing the side of Derek's helmet. "Had to lock myself up, didn't I? Trapped in house and home!" He twisted and fell out of the three fur coats he had been wearing. Rolling on the floor in his night gown, the terrified man reached for another weapon.

With a snarl Corben grabbed the old man's arm and forced him down on a chair by the fireplace. Plates of stale bread clattered underfoot and by the hearth was a pot of rancid-smelling broth. Before the peasant could move again Corben had a sword to his chest. "Speak, old man," he ordered through gritted teeth. "What happened?"

The peasant fidgeted, scowling at the people in this house then back at the Marshall. "Came at me, it did, after it killed the merchant. A hound from hell itself! Evil in its eyes. Came right at me. Had to run!"

"How did you survive?"

He reached up, snatching one of the coats back from Derek and folding it over his lap. "The light, see? Thing was right on top of me, slavering, clawing. But I got to my house and it would come no further. Didn't like the lamps. It ran off, down Fletcher's Alley."

Corben and Ferrick exchanged looks. "You live in those parts, Ferrick. Is there a way through?"

"No," the watchman answered. "It's a dead end. Even my house has no access to the alley. The walls are high - parts of an old chapel. No handholds."

"Then there's a chance it's cornered."

Ferrick nodded. "There are places it could hide in Fletcher's Alley, for certain."

Corben lowered his sword from the old man's chest. "Let us hope it stayed there."

Derek handed the old man his other two coats back looking to Corben and Ferrick, "Indeed. Though I can't help but wonder why it didn't like the lamps. Maybe it doesn't like light in general?" as he talked, he helped Nadia to her feet. He couldn't be sure, but he thought he felt her brother's eyes drilling into his back, "C'mon. Up we go. Anyway, as I was saying, it might be worth trying to group around Ferrick and use his torch on the off chance it doesn't like light. Then again light may just cause it to run off. As individually skilled as we are I'd rather not take a risk like splitting up when Malwin and Alyss are coming back with that book of theirs. Though I suppose if its a dead end then there'd be no reason to split up would there be?"

This was the business side to Derek. For all his impulsive behavior he would always go about speculation and possible strategies for battle. Some would say it was a similar trait to that of his late father, Zachary Vermilion, who had been as much a strategist as he had been a fighter. The difference between the two was that Derek thought better on his feet than his father had as opposed to a preemptive strategist. He shook his head, "Agh. Sorry. There I go over thinking again. Probably best to wait until we get there eh?" Turning to the old man he placed his fist over his chest trying his best to put aside his considerable frustration with him, "I apologize for the disturbance. I'll make sure to send a group of craftsmen over first thing tomorrow morning to repair the damage done. Good night, sir."

Exiting the building with Nadia, Derek sucked in a breath of fresh air. Feeling somewhat revitalized he looked to his allies, "It appears our little blunder wasn't entirely useless. We have a lead on where out target might be. Malwin, let's see that boo--" Derek paused, "Where's Malwin and Alyss? Shouldn't they have been back by now?" sighing he waited for Corben to emerge from the old man's home, "Corben, Malwin and Alyss aren't back with the book yet. Do we wait on them or do we go before our target tries to slip way?"

lady_grey_by_sakimichan-d417pzh-1.jpg As Nadia was swept aside like a small child being thrown from a burning building her whole body went numb from the shock. Not only had she far from seen it coming but the sudden attack from her side knocked her senseless. She heard someone shouting and cursing about the Fate's, she heard a couple of her companions grumble or yell back at the man yelling at them. And a dog was barking relentlessly. Nadia's nose was overwhelmed with stench and she had a feeling she wouldn't like what she had fallen in if she could see it.
As she heard her brother helped up she merely looked around the house in a confused wordless wonder. After a few minutes more yelling ensued along with information as to where the beast they were actually looking for was. Suddenly Nadia felt a warm hand on her arm and she could immediately tell it wasn't her brothers. Being lifted to lean against Derek as he helped her stand while still in shock, Nadia lowered her head trying to hide the obvious flush going across her pale cheeks. Trying not to let her brother notice her face she knew he had as a quiet humph came from his direction. Aidan would have to understand. She had a life to live too.
As Derek slowly held her waist helping to make sure she didn't fall he walked out the door to ask where Malwin and Alyss were. Nadia didn't hear much after that either. She figured if they took her and her brother with it was fine, if not it was alright. Right now she was focused intently on studying Derek's gray face through her eyes. She hoped the Fate's could stay together, she hoped her brother and her could stay among them. And that the false scent they had smelled wouldn't make them cast out. If only so she could see Derek when trouble aroused. Though she wished sometimes it was on happier occasions. Though the Fate's rarely had those anymore. If ever. Nadia merely waiting glancing up at Derek as the decision to go or wait was made.

Summery: Nadia is in shock after being knocked down, Derek helps her to stand and gently helps her outside, Nadia begins to think about her feelings towards Derek and what her brother thinks. Then waits for Corben's decision on leaving or waiting for Malwin and Alyss.

Aidan's mind collapsed as he was thrown aside like a rag doll. Stunned and unable to clearly hear what was going on in his surroundings he merely sat for awhile hearing muffled barks and yelling between what he guessed was the houses owner and a dog. He could slightly make out his companions yelling back.
As the conversation dulled slightly Aidan was hoisted up off the ground and sat on his feet. Grumbling softly he waited for a few moments as he tried to hear anything but muffled mumbles. Turning as he heard his sister lifted off the ground he turned to find her in Derek's grasp. From the look of her posture she was obviously shying away from the only other person who could gain her attention besides himself. Making an obvious harrumph his sister merely glanced back at him sadly and then looked at the ground seemingly upset. Aidan paused. He felt horrible suddenly for having caused
a miscommunication between his fellow Fate's and himself. He felt responsible for having caused this trouble upon this man. Turning to where his sister now stood on the porch he tilted his head to her. Hoping she'd someday understand that it wasn't that he didn't want her to be happy, or even leave him behind. He just wanted her to be safe in choosing her path. So she wasn't dragged astray by hopes and dreams. Those got them nowhere and if she searched for someone based on those things she'd gain nothing. He only hoped she didn't see dreams in this man. That she saw truth in him.
Turning back to where Corben stood he slipped out of the door behind his sister and Derek. Finally able to hear normal sounds again he heard mention of where the real beast was. Hopefully the group wouldn't blame him and his sister for the false scent and would bring them along to help. He enjoyed working for the Fate's, it gave him sight and something a bit more manly to do on occasion. His only nightmare was that some day the people above the Fate's would decide he wasn't needed. He hoped that stayed a nightmare, and never turned to reality.
dda0aa5ef8096534f0dae9e04b74d3e3-d4hr0zw-2.png

Riktor had barely entered the room when an iron pot slammed into him, hitting him just above the eye, and he had spent the entire conversation reeling against the wall, wiping the blood from his left eye as the otters discussed the alley, donning his helm as he stepped out the door, retrieving his axe from the floor as he did so.
"time to go hunting then, the others can catch up" he said as he passed the threshold.

Outside, Riktor looked to the ghostly form of Dieter
'any tips on fighting these beasts?' he thought, and Dieter nodded
'as you don't have any necromantic talent, strike hard and swiftly, work with your allies and at all costs avoid the creatures teeth' the ghost replied as Riktor awaited the exit of the others with Derek and the twins.

The change in mood was quite lost on Tahan, who continued to giggle until he found the situation no longer gave him that sort of feel. At this point he was sitting on the ground, and brought his legs back, throwing them forward and using the momentum to vault upwards into standing position. His eyes became somewhat glassy as he looked in all four cardinal directions, seemingly at random, following the wriggling as it slithered around the scriptures tattooed on his body.

"Malwin i -- " He cut himself off. At first what started as firm conviction turned into feelings of confusion, and he lapsed into pensive silence, staring off into the distance, retreating to close proximity with Leonardo.

The situation had turned to one of hope, in regards to the possibilities of catching the one who had murdered on Helm Street, though there seemed to be confusion abounding about Malwin and Alyss. Had they been here, then? She had not seen Malwin or Alyss, had assumed them to be otherwise occupied, but if they had disappeared, that was worrisome. What if they had run into the murderer and they were now in desperate need of help from their comrades? She could only half hear the old man, though it seemed the murderer was some kind of ferocious man to be called a hound from hell. She did hear the place that the creature had run to, according to the old man, though, and she tilted her head when the name registered. So close?

"Come now! What if Alyss and Malwin found our culprit while they were returning to the rest? They could have seen some clue and stumbled across this 'Hound from Hell'. We've little time to waste and dallying here will serve us no good if the old codger knows no more." Erilyn knew the way to Fletcher's Alley well enough from having grown up in the city and her worry for fellow members of the Fateguard strengthened her resolve. She was hoping against hope that nothing had befallen anyone else this night, most especially two noble members of the Fateguard.

A glance to Corben, for he was still the leader of their band and she'd hardly question his authority, proved to be of little good in trying to read his acceptance of her actions. She would respect his authority but she was loathe to stand around talking for another moment when people could be in danger. It was only a hope, after all, that this murderer had managed to get himself cornered. There was no guarantee of it and even if he was trapped, left alone long enough, he might find a way to escape from the hopeless situation he found himself in. Now was the time to act.

"Corben, sir, by your leave?" She would ford the potential danger for Fletcher's Alley the instant he gave her the permission to do so, hopefully with the rest following close behind. Her shield hung at her side, glimmering in the light from the torches on the house, next to her sword. She had come armed and was glad for it, as she could now combat this murderer. The question that awaited Erilyn was whether he was to be killed for his crimes or captured. Likely the answer, for a murderer, was to be killed.

[DASH=gray]Aloysius ducked quickly, letting an orange fly above his head and splatter behind. He at first gave Corben a puzzled look, but saved his questions for later; there didn't seem to be time for them to be answered at the moment. Casually moving his head to the side, he let another orange race by his head. He listened to the man spin his tale, some of the questions in his head being eliminated.

"Werewolves..." Aloysius muttered. "Damn."

However, the information that the werewolf was possibly cornered in Fletcher Alley was a good one. They had a lead on the enemy, at least. And they were able to fight it. Though Aloysius knew that werewolves, when cornered or in trouble from their position, would fight viciously. Just like a wild animals. Aloysius didn't like the sound of fighting one (his back was still a bit sore from the dragon fight) but he said nothing and put a hand on the hilt of his sword.

"Corben, I'm ready." Aloysius said. Though he had noticed Alyss and Malwin were gone for a strange amount of time...Where could they be, possibly?

He had his theories, but he kept silent instead, waiting for Corben's orders.[/DASH]

[SPOILI]Aloysius listens to the old man say stuff, then reflects on how much of a vicious fighter werewolves are. He tells Corben he is ready all while pondering the possible explanations for Alyss and Malwin's extended period of absence.[/SPOILI]

Alex resisted the dire urge to punch the dog with his gauntlet. It was, after all, protecting its master. Instead, he took it up by the scruff, stared dully in its eyes and smiled.

"Silly mutt…"

He stood with his greaves of course intact. Letting the animal free he dusted himself off. In this there was no moment of introspect; now he just wanted to get the hell out of this disgusting house.

"Well, sir, I'm as ready as I'll ever be tonight," Alexander told Corben. There was no hint of weariness now, no warble in his voice. He however had not chanced walking quite yet. He rested his hands on his waist, not bothering to lay his palm over his sword. "Shall we leave this man to his tantrum?"

Aloysius, Riktor and Alexander had voiced their readiness. Derek and Erilyn had voiced a good deal more. The odd dichotomy between the verbose and the laconic indicated the tension. Perhaps they were all on edge after the dragon attack. Or perhaps they were applying the tactics of last night to the challenge of this one. Whatever this creature was, it was no dragon to be bludgeoned. It was a thing of stealth and guile, with the cover of shadows and human skin. A shrewder hunt was called for.

"Aye," Corben answered to Alexander before giving a nod to Erilyn to lead the way. He slapped Ferrick on the shoulder, moving with him for the doorway. A second nod ushered Arkavenn to step away from the breach he had torn.

"I am truly sorry," the marshall said, pausing in the doorway to look the old man who now scooped up his dog and glared at them from his nest of fur coats. "Your house will be mended. This beast will be slain. You have my word."

"The words of FateGuard are easily given," the peasant muttered, turning his face to stare into the fireplace. Nothing further was said.

Out on Helm Street, Corben eyed the rest of the squad. Malwin had not yet returned. Perhaps the sickness had tightened its hold on his wife and child and made him tarry. God knows Corben would do the same, were it his wife and child on their deathbeds. It troubled him that Malwin could so gladly leave them each night. Perhaps it comforted Malwin, to know he was preserving life on the streets that he could not preserve at home. Or perhaps, when his sight restored with each setting of the sun, he simply could not bear to stay and look on them.

No matter. There was blood to be spilt this night. Corben moved after Erilyn, over the crossroads, and to the entrance of Fletcher's Alley, just beyond the hovel. And what he saw there caused his lips to twist.

the_alley_shops_by_korbox-d4dcme4.jpg

"Gods damned Mages!" the Marshall snarled.

Atlas drew up beside him, staring at the mists that were rolling across the city and blanketing the alleys beyond Helm Street. "Guild magic," he said quietly. "It seems their first attempt at weather control has gone well."

The sarcasm was clear. As was the irony. Corben had asked the Eldritch Guild to turn their attention to the mists. Now he had reaped the consequences.

With a twitch of anger the marshall drew his sword and faced into the fog-bound alleyway, ready to move as his squad formed up around him. The alley was narrow - enough for three of them at a time. He would need the Twins in there and for every man and woman to be on their highest guard.

"Form up," he ordered. "Whatever comes at us in that alley... it does not pass us."

The endgame was upon them.

Derek folded his arms when given the order to move out. He wasn't pleased but there wasn't much to be done, Malwin or no. If it had been Malwin alone Derek would have just assumed that his family would have been enough to satisfy Derek's need for a reason, but even if he had stayed there was no excuse for Alyss having not returned yet. Derek filed the thought away for later. He followed Corben to the entrance to the alleyway wordlessly. He stared into the alley way for a moment. This wasn't like the dragon fight last night where he was constantly forced on the defensive because of dragon fire. This was a werebeast; A creature that fought physically. The Regalia of Ancient Kings was nearly impenetrable to physical attacks and would allow Derek to go toe to toe with the creature. There was no doubt that the creature would be faster than him, but the narrow alleyway would reduce the use of such a thing. As the mist moved through, Derek frowned, "God damn mages. I'm starting to wonder if we're the only competent bunch in this city. Shouldn't they be doing this during the day so they don't have to at night?"

Reduced visibility was just another annoyance. Ironically despite being called the FateGuard it always seemed as if fate always conspired to have the worst possible conditions in place for their duties. Drawing Alondite, Derek moved behind Corben.

"I'm at your back, Corben. Unless you'd rather have me in front."

As they approached Fletcher's Alley, Ferrick moved unobtrusively to the front of the group, waiting until he'd moved past the others to light his torch. It was probably the mist filling the alley, spreading the light out further like moonlight through clouds. That must have been what was behind the shock to his eyes.

Hold the torch high with his left hand, he tucked his spear under his right, in a prime position to thrust at anything that might attack from the front, but close enough to his body to turn easily to the sides to meet a threat there. The valley was a dead end, but a dead end with nooks and hollows enough to hide a man. And if they could hide a man, they perhaps could hide a werewolf. How little he really knew of Fletcher's Alley frustrated him, despite living technically at the end of the alley, there was no access from that end.

"We'll need the light of my torch. I'll go with the first three." He said to the others, half-turned to face them. He found it difficult to turn into the alley, found it easier to look at the others. There was a dark pit inside of him of dread, a fear of going down Fletcher's Alley. Why he could not say. But, as always was the curse of human nature, the need to know overwhelmed the fear of not knowing. Whatever was down that alley, he intended to face it first.

Immediately on the defensive, Atlas put his back towards his fellow comrades, watching their rear. As they moved forward, he moved backwards, feet shuffling quietly. He could feel the edges of exhaustion but instead of succumbing to it, he merely pushed the feeling aside. It did nothing to complain of such things, not when the possibility of death was on the line.

"The Guild Mages shouldn't have had trouble with the weather," Atlas muttered, a snarl in his voice. "With their numbers and knowledge the task should have been simple."

He didn't dare voice his concerns about treachery, but the implication was there. But then again magic wasn't an exact science. Perhaps something conflicted with their magic, or maybe tonight's terror was blocking out all protections? But that wouldn't make sense... If that were so, he wouldn't be able to cast shields. Politics had to be the reason why the mist was moving in.

The mage's fists clenched in anger. To put lives at stake because of idiotic bickering... He would give the Arch Mage hell if this was his fault.

Dyne listened in as the others talked of Fletcher's Alley. He was still disappointed about the incident with the old man, but he pushed that aside for now. Erilyn was right, they had no time to lose with such a beast still on the loose inside the city walls. After making sure that his helm was free of smashed fruit bits, he placed it back over his head, taking a short moment to adjust it into the proper position.

As they began to move toward Fletcher's Alley, Dyne walked towards the rear of the group, near Atlas. He had his swords still held in his hands, keeping his guard up and looking around for any signs of the beast as they moved. However, as hard as he was trying to remain focused, he found it difficult. His mind was racing from one thought to another. What exactly had he missed in the time he had been away from the Fateguard? It seemed like forever since he had been on duty, but really it had only been about a week. Surely he hadn't lost his importance so quickly. Maybe that was just in his head...His eyes flickered to Erilyn before focusing back on the alley. No time to be distracted.