FateGuard

Despite the food arriving Derek didn't make a move to eat. Having eaten a few hours earlier he had a convenient excuse in not being hungry yet. Although that was true what really bothered him was the idea of eating the creatures of the farborn fields as a whole. If he had a choice he'd never eat any of the chapter house food at all though he had never nor would he ever say that out loud. Using the parts of the monsters for much of anything seemed to be folly and the events of the past few days had only made that worse. It was this preexisting disposition that had caused Derek to raise such a fuss when he saw Tahan's armor and the Alchymia Chapter harvesting monster parts. He thought back for a moment to when he was a boy and his first meal in the chapter house during his training. He had grown up on stories of the FateGuard defeating monsters having never questioned what happened to the creatures after the fact. On that day it took but one bite and he had immediately ran out back to vomit. The idea of eating something he grew up believing to be evil simply didn't agree with his young mind, even if his taste buds might have. Even all these years later it was a mental block he couldn't overcome. Or perhaps it was one he preferred not to. One could argue Derek passed up on the benefits of such meals, but he had rationalized it long ago to the point he didn't care.

"If our forefathers settled this land eating regular food then I can continue to live in those same lands doing the same."

The meals at the chapter house compared to his sister's cooking provided quite the contrast for Derek's life in general in recent times. Having meals in the chapter house was a constant reassurance that he was FateGuard. Steadfast, powerful, and a force of good for Gothenheim. On the other hand his meals at home made him think to how his life could be if he were to just retire to working as the town constable full time away from the whispers of the people, the constant battles, and the life-style required to be FateGuard. However as much as he mulled this over in his mind he always came back to the same conclusion.

"I guess everyone wishes their life was different from time to time..."

Derek's face contorted as he took another sip from his mug of ale. He was busy focusing his willpower on keeping his bile down at the sight of his companions eating like it was ordinary. It was obvious he was uncomfortable, but, again, he had a convenient excuse. This one came in the form of being worried about the events of the previous week.

Last edited:
True, when it came to women Atlas was an impeccable gentlemen. He would hold the door open, volunteer to carry her things and was a delightful conversationalist. Why, he had many of the barmaids giggle in less than five minutes, and in his lap with his hands up their skirts in less than ten. However there was something he would never do with a woman, and that was dine with them. See, Atlas' table manners weren't as impeccable. Whatever he ate had a tendency to fly everywhere and his female dinner guests never cared for that sort of performance.

While the contents of the table would have made any regular Gothenheim citizen balk, Atlas's mouth began to salivate, and his stomach grumbled noisily. The man had been living on stale bread and hard cheese for far too long; if stuffing himself with monster meat meant mourning Eric's death, then by god he would eat to his heart's content.

Atlas reached forward, teared off a piece of hog and ravenously bit into it. Its juices oozed out of his mouth, glossing his lips and dripped onto his pant leg. Of course Atlas wasn't concerned, he merely used his arm to wipe away the juice. He chewed quickly and swallowed the large lump of flesh with relish, nevermind that worms were in it. He picked up a piece of toast and slathered it generously with the pate before devouring it whole. And despite the smell of the stew, Atlas scooped himself a big portion and dived in, using the bones to pick his teeth. He was a machine, inhaling his food much like a gladiator cut down his enemies. In less than five minutes, Atlas was completely full, using the bones of the fish to pick out debris in his teeth.

"Derek please, you must eat something," Atlas belched most obnoxiously. "You'll shame Eric's memory if you don't."

• Love
Reactions: Tegan and Asmodeus
Arias was pretty out of it while sitting amongst the company of those hed worshiped for so long. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy the company, but something continued to cloud up his mind immensely. Truly, he couldn't stop thinking of the raven haired woman he had met, or at least he thought he had met her. She seemed more like a dream at this point, but he could still hear the honey like voice, as a whisper in his mind, a soft song that would not relent. Suddenly, the chapter house got a bit loud as a very obnoxious belch sounded the area, but was disturbing enough to bring him back to reality. Arias glanced about to see that Atlas was poking at Derek in an attempt to make him eat.

The event was nice, a good change of pace, and Arias was quite honored to be here among the rest of the Fateguard. After all; it would take quite a good bit of getting used to, in terms of realizing he now belonged with them. Corbin had honored him earlier, and so had other, thankful for his quick thinking in some of the situations that had already occured. It made him feel good but uneasy int he same, as it also meant they would be expecting of him in the future as well. Oh well He thought as he filled his plate with some of the food and started to vacantly nibble at it.

Arias wasn't the worst when it came to table manners, he actually seemed like quite the gentleman, but it was hard not to be sloppy with the juicy boar meat. Still; he did his best to keep himself clean and watch the rest of them enjoy themselves; talking about this and that, or poking at each other. It was interesting seeing the Fateguard past the battle scars, and armor, to see them enjoying life like a giant family; Really it was heart warming a sight as any. Arias thought about joining in, but he knew little of them at this point and thought better of intruding so quick after initiation. It was truly sad, He could call out orders, and think on the drop of a coin, but when it came to a social interaction with those that had already accepted him, he was still as timid as a mouse. So quietly Arias picked at his food and ate to himself a few chairs down from Atlas and most of the others, but not far enough to seem secluded.

Once the food was served, Gordons stomach turned. He had forgotten how this food was during his time away. He had been enjoying the drinks and laughter of the local tavern scene which served many different foods and flavors daily, all of which had been better than this. However, it wasn't something he had grown a resistance against, instead he knew he could still stomach it. To help cope with it, Gordon took a small flask from his waist and filled a dark and hard liquid into the glass and mixed it with his ale. Many conversations were going, but Gordon wasn't talking just yet. As he was filling his own plate with his select choice of food, while also enjoying his home brew, he was browsing for who to talk to when he spotted a young face.

Leaning back in a lazy manner, he pointed to the young face, probably the youngest member of the FateGuard that Gordon had ever seen, and spoke aloud, " You, there. You're the shepard, right? Forgot your name, but I've heard about you. You're said to be brilliant with the workings of a battlefield. If this is true, you and I are going to have to share our minds." Taking a pause to drink some before eating some of the kind spider legs that the Marshal had also taken to enjoy, he had already forgotten the nature of what he was eating. "My name is Gordon Lawrence. I'm a Cartographer," He mumbled through his half-full mouth. After a gulp, he winked as the words slurred out due to his ale, "I'm sure I don't need to explain why we should help eachother."

With the food served and the tension having been severely reduced with its presence - something Erilyn was grateful for, given her own role in the matter - pleasant little conversations began to crop up around the table. The smell of the heavy spices coming from the meat made her salivate a little and the warmth wafting from the dishes gave it a cozy and homey feel. She had grown use to the unusual fare by now, like most of her fellow guard, and treated the dishes as exotic delicacies instead of abhorrent remainders of monster flesh. It was easier that way.
Sitting near to Atlas, it was hard to think of him in the same light as the little flowers of women that flocked to him thinking him some angelic prince charming. It brought a smile to Erilyn's lips to see him dig in so heartily, ripping chunks of roast hog away from the bone with his teeth as he spoke. It was little secret that his less than cleanly eating habits were the reason he avoided dining in taverns where others might see. She felt close to her companions here, sitting around this table. Even fussy Derek with his aversion to dining on the flesh of their slain foes amused her a little with its predictability.
Erilyn gave the vessel of ashes one last, long look before reaching for the food. There would not be such a feast without occasion, but it did not change her wishing that Eric were there to sit at the table and eat the meal of monsters as though it were nothing more surprising to him than a basket of bread and bean soup. She looked briefly to the quiet exchange between two of the faces she was less familiar with and let the warmth of companionship envelop her once more. This was a time that they could relax, she conceded. They needed this, not strategy right now.
Before the spider's legs were all devoured, she hastily reached to obtain a few, as well as a steaming bowl of the stew. She felt suddenly ravenous, realizing she'd hardly eaten the last several days. Hasty hands claimed a steaming hunk of some mystery meat garnished with a brilliantly orange sauce and a cup of ale for herself. She settled into her chair while she chewed, looking around at the others near her.
"Come on, Derek. This one here is only roast boar... I think. You'll be hungry if you don't partake in at least some of it."

"And what's more..." Corben's voice picked up where Erilyn's left off. The Marshall's eyes were set on Derek as he leaned back in his chair. "...you will dishonour the feast of our fallen brother."

Perhaps the wine had loosened his tongue. Or perhaps the image from the funeral, of Derek in the King's embrace, taking words into his ear as the courtiers swirled around them, was the thing that nagged at Corben.

"You speak with reason of our cause. Yet you sit at our table, in full battle armour, and do not eat our food." There was a slight smile at the edge of Corben's mouth, enough to suggest he was more bemused than offended. Yet there was weight in his words. "We have routed the traitors from our ranks, Derek. Why do you seem so on edge at a feast?"

Slowly, deliberately, he poured another cup of wine while keeping his eyes on his lieutenant. "Was there something else the King told you?"

"I don't know if you heard what he said or not Corben, but he suggested that I lead the armies of Gothenheim over the wall instead of you. That...did little to make me comfortable. You grew up with Ganthor and know how to handle him. And then..." Derek looked around at the table. The eyes locked on him made him hesitate to continue. They hadn't talked about it yet, and only the absolute most veteran FateGuard members would really know his concern. Still, it would have to be brought up sooner or later. He took a deep breath and looked the Marshall in the eyes.

"Arcanium. Ganthor...mentioned Arcanium. I don't understand how anyone who was there the first time can remain calm knowing he lives. He's out there somewhere plotting who knows what. I used the Tempest Garb's...problem...to see first hand what happened with him. Throwing FateGuard around like rag dolls, laughing as attacks bounced off his shields, and magic that could have ripped any one of us to shreds in one sho--!" Derek cut himself off and took a deep breath to calm himself.

"My parents defeated that psychopathic. I can't even fathom how they did it with just the two of them, but they did it. And as long as I know Arcanium is alive and out there I need to be ready. He's already ruined my family once. I'm not going to sit here and stand idly by when I know he may try to tear my second family apart too. He lead the FateGuard back then...so I think Eric would have understood my concern," Derek sighed as his shoulders relaxed for the first time that morning. It was now clear from the look on his face how badly this had been eating at him ever since the revelation that night, just before the sound of a body hitting pavement.

"I thank you all for your concern. I just...need a moment. As for the food Annette fed me not but a few hours ago and she always overdoes it when I'm home..."

Last edited:
As more time passed, the room was growing more and more lively with people poking fun at others, and some just very openly enjoying their meal. Arias found himself glancing about the chapter house, locking sight on the big armored man; that he had come to know as Derek. He seemed off, and the more people appeared to poke at him; the closer it seemed they were coming to actually understanding why, Arias made a game out of deciphering that before the man met his boiling point, but came short when another addressed him in his title rather than name.

Arias turned to meet the gaze and accused finger of another of the Fateguard. He wasn't actually to aware of this one, though as he hadn't seen him among the battles of the night that the Fateguard he'd worshipped fought. "Aye I am the "Shephard" He corrected with a slight smile as the man made his way closer to him. "I don't actually see myself as all that brilliant, I just have a quick mind." he was downgrading himself, of course; but Arias was not use to people actually recognizing him, perhaps that was a part of growing with this new family of his. "However yes I am a tactician, and with you being the cartographer I could see where we would need some coalescence. I would guess you have a well structured map of the whole of Gothenheim? all the trips, trap, and blunders it might have?" Arias offered a snarky smile but it was all in good fun, he had to try to be part of the group and in some ways was thankful the man had approached him first. Arias never would have bought up the courage to initiate conversation with these men.

Suddenly Dereks voice boomed in Arias ears above the rest; perhaps because Arias had been focussing on him the most prior. It appeared that Derek had finally reached the boiling point when Corben poked at him about the feast. Still Arias listened intently, probably almost intrusively while eating his food. Words were brought up that made little sense, but as whispers concerning the past, and the very few things that the rabble of the city actually knew, but Arias definitely recognized the name of the king and faintly also the Name Arcanium. He really didn't know what it meant, but it really seemed to have Derek in a mess at this point. The way it was described, it almost reminded him of the evil Prince they had just encountered durring the time in the pit. The event brought chills up his spine, and when Derek described this thing Arcanium, they only grew bolder into goosebumps. Of course Arias was scared but thankfully if for a little while this whole conversation had taken his mind from...her.

How long that would last, well if he were judging without knowing; probably until people stopped talking to him. Still he had blundered already, so he returned his direction to the Man Gordon. "I appologize, I was a bit confused for a second there, I am Arias the Shephard; youngest trainee to the Fateguard, I look forward to working with you in the future." he smiled as if the thing had been rehearsed but it was convincing enough and convenient so that he could pretend to blend in with the Fateguard

His new Family, as Derek had put it.

12 Years Ago

Eric found them in Barker's Alley, a few streets from the boarding house. This was as far, it seemed, as they had run before collapsing. That they had run no further was testament to his faith in them. Ones unfit for the FateGuard would not have stopped till they had fled all the way back home.

Entering the alley, the Marshall passed Aloysius and squeezed his shoulder before approaching Corben. The two recruits were slumped against opposite walls with their heads in their hands and tunics flecked with blood. Not their own, of course - but blood of the boarding house occupants. Six citizens had died tonight and with them went a little more of Corben's innocence. Aloysius had always glimpsed the horrors of these streets, but Corben... the blacksmith's son... Eric worried for the education he endured.

The Marshall crouched before Corben and waited to catch his eye. His own arm was wreathed in coagulate gore. He had ripped out the heart of the Blood Mage himself. The attic of the boarding house behind them was now a charnel nightmare. Having murdered his five co-boarders weeks ago, the Blood Mage had kept their bodies as fuel for his magic, and when the FateGuard entered had thrown these nightmares against them. By then they were no more than pieces of flesh, scuttling on twists of bone, cavities bursting with serrated teeth, intestines lashing like whips. Only the bitter business of dismemberment had granted them rest. Heydrich and Alexander had seen to it.

"I ran away."

"For the last time."

The sob of the boy was answered by the certainty of the man. Corben's red-raw eyes emerged from behind his hands. He was studying the Marshall's face. It was the first time he and Eric had truly spoken, and the after-glow of adrenaline made the moment heavy, almost sacred between them. Eric's eyes had always been dark, which with his beard conspired to veil expression from his face. The only emotion that could ever be read in him was a vigilant detachment. Tonight he was the mirror of the twitching, furrowing Corben.

"How do I lose my feelings?"

Blood pooled between, dripping from Eric's arm and Corben's face. The Marshall looked his recruit in the eye and said more words than he had ever said to him. "Feelings are no more inescapable than death. Yet we do not leave our bodies on the streets. We wrap them up and bury them away. The same is so with man's heart." With his other hand Eric placed Corben's sword beside him. The boy had dropped it on the slaughterhouse floors of the boarding house. "I am not the only leader here. All FateGuard are captains of the people. And a leader must keep distance, just as the dead must be buried."

The Marshall straightened and lowered a hand to Corben. It was the hand wreathed in blood. It was no accident he had chosen that limb.

"Do not show all of yourself, Corben. That is your first lesson."

* * * * * *​

Corben let a silence linger after Derek's speech. A silence in which he sipped more wine. "Then take your moment," he answered his lieutenant. "But do not speak to us like this again." His other hand swept to indicate the others. "You think we are idle, Derek? You think we wallow in luxury while you alone see the darkness at our door?"

The Marshall rose from the table, a little unsteadily, but kept his eyes on Derek. "And what of me? My best friend lies dead. Jenra's brother." His hand indicated the urn at the table's centre. "My mentor is gone. In three nights I have lain the torch to the pyres of eight FateGuard... a torch belonging to a man I exiled beyond the wall." The memory of Ferrick flashed. "And I must sit here and observe tradition while Malwin and Leonardo languish in the Bishop's cells. Where is my place in your hierarchy of pain?"

The speech was delivered in a level voice, a tone perhaps academic yet with a seam of bitterness that threatened to burst. Having leant towards his lieutenant as he spoke, Corben now swayed the other way and came back down, slowly, into his chair. "You do not own the deeds to Sorrow, Derek. We all have our vendettas. And Arcanium is not the only fiend who plots our annihilation. Just because you feel the King's breath on your ear does not make you a martyr. And it does not excuse you from funeral rites."

He reached for a length of honey-glazed serpent flesh and bit into it, as if to punctuate the end of his retort. And as he chewed his voice rasped, with the slightest hint of anger.

"Now take off that fucking armour and eat something."

It felt like the temperature in the room had risen several degrees, causing Atlas to shift about in his seat. Such was the case when there was tension, and unfortunately for the Fateguard tension was a reoccurring faucet of their lives. However the alchemist was not as accustomed to social tension as he was with combat and it made him most uncomfortable.

Throughout the entire exchange, Atlas was sucking on a piece of bone, no doubt from the boar's leg. His mouth grew slack as his attention moved away from the succulent flesh towards the conversation at hand. Blue eyes darted back and forth until they rested on Corben, and his last words echoed in Atlas' mind like church bells.

The Marshall's speeches were always uplifting, filled with good spirit and bravery but this one... This speech seemed much more personal. Of all the time he spent with the Fateguard, very rarely had Atlas seen Corben tell the others how much he was suffering. True he would allow them to see his physical exhaustion, but the emotional wounds were always hidden. Tonight it felt like Corben inadvertently telling them all how much this was taxing him, and it made Atlas wish all the more harder for the fighting to stop.

The bone clattered onto his plate, like cymbals clashing in a silent hall.

Atlas' voice was quiet, tempered by his frustration. His gaze was not upon the Marshall, but at a spot on the wall. "You can tell us you know... How much it hurts. It's only fair since you suffer the most out of all of us."

Reactions: unanun
Glancing up as Derek was talking, Gordon quickly looked back to pour more wine and once again pour some of the liquid in his flask to mix with it in order to satisfy his need for a stronger ale. Having heard the young boys name, Gordon smiled back. "Nice to meet you. I've been away from the FateGuard. I charged myself the duty of guarding any loggers during the day." Pausing to drink his ale, he spoke once again without setting his cup down, "I took the opportunity to map out a fair share of the land outside of the city. Granted it took a long time between protecting the workers and being limited on my hours, but I feel my work was well worth doing." Gordon was a very proud man, and at most times he was rather arrogant, but it was due to his arrogance that he was able to remain so calm in times of need. At the end of the day, Gordon was just another man who lived in Gothenheim, the only advantage he had over others was his memory and his artistic skills which took years of honing to make accurate maps. "I'm the Cartographer, otherwise known as the knight in shining armor."

The prisoner had been passively resistant of course - it was expected of any man who was walking to the gallows. The slow step, the dragging feet, the half stumbles and trips... Each one an opportunity for escape. Ryste had kept his dagger at the ready, his bow ready should the heretic escape the range of the blade. They made it to the church without real incident though the men awaiting the heretic were silent other than 'Thank you. Leave.' before Ryste could even ask about Kael's fate. They had pulled the heretic through the door and locked it behind them before Ryste could even lodge a protest. With a sigh and shake of his head, he turned around, heading back to the chapter house - it was quite possible that Corben might know the details therein.

The bowyer found the remnants of the FateGuard in a feast, including a new face he hadn't seen outside of civilian dress. His eye scanned over the dishes upon the table, and his stomach recoiled as he saw the spider legs and the rest of the guard, save one, devouring them. He despised spiders. It wasn't a fear, but more a deadly determination to slay the beasts. Many had been crushed beneath his heel and some of their larger cousins had discovered that an arrow now sprouted between their multiple eyes. He refrained from joining the group until the legs were gone, knowing that someone would try to convince him to eat one. He leaned against the wall of the alcove, taking the occasional glance to see the progress.

Through the course of it all, he heard snippets of information. The one he did not recognize as FateGuard was named Gordon; a cartographer and joker at that. He heard the tale of Derek and Corben's rebuke to it. After that, the hall seemed all the more solemn for it. Ryste chose that moment to fully enter the hall, setting his bow from his shoulder against the wall behind a vacant chair. The spider legs were gone aside from the husks, but Ryste could deal with that. He cut himself a hunk of the boar flesh and set it upon his plate before taking the knife and slicing it into smaller pieces - Mother had always nitpicked both his and his sister's table manners.

"The heretic Kael is in custody of the church. Vilamos took Melody and Marcus to be healed since they sustained injuries from their idiocy."

As he said this, he didn't look up from his work though his closest compatriots might've seen the smirk cross his face as he spoke of Melody and Marcus.

Arias nodded towards the man as he spoke of his recent assignment. Arias had only had his first assignment, and that had even been hectic. This cartographer couldn't know that sort of thing though. "Well that does sound fairly taxing Cartographer, truly. The more and more talk goes around this table, the more I hear about a chance of going beyond the walls." Arias stumbled for a second, as a soft song played in his mind, he felt himself slip from the conversation again as the whisper continued to plague at his ears. It came and it went just as fast, ending on a high tone almost like a screech. "I apologize, I spaced for a second, I expect your works will do us extremely well for the time to come, should we tread that dark land." His original ploy would have been much more clever, speaking as to how up until this point he'd only known leaving the wall a plight of suicide. "I can only assume you've done your fair work as to map all of Gothenheim as well sir?" Arias took a drink from his mug and then set it down staring to the man, and trying his best to still pay attention to the side conversation being had. "I can only hope that my mind will be a use to the Fateguard, but in order to devise tactical devices, and stratagems I will absolutely need your help as well as a tangible map of all of Gothenheim, bells and whistles included.." Arias cast Gordon a simple smile, but his attention was soon drawn away from the man if only slightly.

A new shadow had stalked its way into the hall, a husk voice, and a rough tone to boot that followed as the new one took his place. One could only assume it one of Corbens personal associates, but Arias' curiosity had peaked, and he tried even more to listen in on that conversation. Mention of Kael, and then of Melody and Marcus, but he hadn't exactly caught the main point to all of it. A soft sigh parted the boys lips and he returned his attention back to Gordon. "You up for a game of Chess Cartographer?"

It seemed that many of the FateGuard's number were fated to trickle in late.

Jenra could not help but feel some shame as she entered the chapter house. Seeing another--Ryste, she believed his name was--just taking his seat, assured her that at least she was not alone in her tardiness. Searching the table for both Corben and Atlas, she couldn't help but take in the tense air that hung over the table. Was something amiss? The Marshall certainly seemed tense. Steeling her courage, she found the empty seat nearest them both, quickly taking it.

"I apologize," she said, not trying for quiet, but neither raising her voice more than usual. "I was at the library, and lost track of time."

What were those shells...? Whatever it was, it seemed whatever had been edible in them had already been taken. This was her first time eating at this particular table, but she'd heard enough about it whenever Aloysius had cared to speak of the subject. She took a deep breath, then loaded her plate with what remained of the serpentine meat, and some toadstools and gooseberries.

"I met with Dyne there," she continued as she did so. "He told me news which I believe the FateGuard need know. The past five nights, his younger siblings have wandered from their beds in their sleep. He found them by the wall, each time, and when he roused them, they remembered nothing of how they came to be there. Even now, he remains in the library, still searching for answers amidst the tomes. ...he fears what may be behind their sleepwalking."

It was hard to keep herself composed. The thought of any more good people being corrupted by malevolent forces, made her appetite hard to find.

Jenra's revelation trailed off into empty silence... for it had come on the wake of another that gripped all in the room but Atlas.

And whatever tension may have gathered between Corben and Derek was at once dispelled, and they both turned together to stare at Ryste.

"You found him..." the Marshall uttered. There was neither disbelief nor dismay. After all, the Church had declared itself the leading authority in the hunt for the Wounded Hand, and ordered all remaining traitors surrendered to its judgment. But Corben had always hoped, in his private defiance, that whoever of his soldiers tracked down Kael would bring them first to an audience of peers. Perhaps if Marcus and Melody, or even Vilamos, had made the arrest, then Kael would be standing there before them.

But this was Ryste - a man, Corben suspected, who would rather see a comrade tortured by inquisitors than questioned in a feast hall. The bowyer's smirk, as always, did not escape the Marshall's eye.

Jenra had finished speaking. He had barely heard her news. His eyes were fixed past Derek, squarely at the dining Ryste.

But what could he do? Ask if Kael had said anything to him? After all, Ryste had merely captured a man who had no means to inform on the Wounded Hand conspiracy, even if he wished to. And yet... and yet the Marshall longed to see Kael's eyes... to have the traitor's flesh before him, so that all that was unspoken could be read.

Now the Bishop had three of them. Malwin... Leonardo... and Kael. Three FateGuard of ambiguous treachery. Three examples to be made in the Bishop's scheme to disband the FateGuard.

The Marshall's mind raced. Ryste's actions, however innocent, had damned the FateGuard to ignorance of the Wounded Hand, of their connection to the Monolith, of their link with Arcanium, and whatever terrors they had to rival the threat of the God-Prince Tamoldes. Should they take up arms and spring their three brothers from the Bishop's grasp? Invite war within the streets of Gothenheim? Or let this go and lose the pieces of the puzzles haunting them.

It was a peculiar panic - a fear political, an anxiety only a leader could feel. Yet Corben kept it bay with slow, measured words. "Did he..." He kept his eyes on Ryste. "Did Kael give you any clue... as to WHY... why he did these things? Was he possessed like the others? Did you glean any notion of who he served?"

The east-facing window of the feast hall was conspicuously boarded - warded like all others in the city against the view on the hills, of the Watching Monolith peering with corrupting influence into every soul. Corben almost felt the boards rattle as he asked his question.

Her flowers had wilted.

Alyss stared listlessly at them- overcome by what all had happened. What had been wrong with her? Why had she gotten so emotional over all of this? Could she not keep herself together?

Why was she here? Furthermore, why was she STILL here?

Her body ached- but at least the sheen of ice had dissipated from her skin. Yet- she found herself glancing down at the amulet around her neck.

"You've missed the funeral."

She slightly nodded her head, more of an acknowledgment than a response. Her eyes moved to the entrance of the room, focusing on the healer for a moment before turning back to the flowers. They were dead and there was no rousing them- funny, they were supposed to be extremely durable in soil she had used, surely the servants had remembered her words of it's care. She had wanted to bring it away from here... She had wanted to...

He was talking, but she wasn't listening, her eyes focused on the plant. His voice was growing louder and finally she turned her head to look at him.

"You killed my plant. You changed the soil- You know the proper composition- you made it too acidic." She spoke softly, no longer a fit of tantrum, the woman finally moved herself from the bed while the healer rattled off that the servants had been the only one in her room.

"They knew how to care for it.... Ulric, I'm sick of this- I've lost many comrades as of late, and I fear that your.... mistakes have become my own burden. If you wish for me to leave, I'm happy to do so. I'm not sure why I came back last night, I'm sorry for the words that have passed between us... I will cease contact with you, if you command it. I'm... done wasting breath over this." She responded, retrieving her clothing from the piles on the floor and donning them quickly.

He didn't speak and it was just as well- her own thoughts provided her with more than enough company as she dressed and turned to retrieve the wilted plant.

Had his behavior been so pervasive that she had instinctively learned it? Or was it her fault alone? Was she casting blame on him given the circumstances? She would be granted understanding in doing so- no... This was her problem. Her mistake. Though, coming to this conclusion did not push her to admit this to him. The words had already been laid out, either way- there was no helping it.

She had missed the funeral...

The browned petals of her flowers broke and floated down to rest on the floor even as she had taken care to move them gently. It was really futile to do anything with them at this point, and yet, she didn't want to just leave them on the window sill after the work of bringing back from outside the walls.

"I'll return if I need any of your help, professionally, Ulric. I'm sorry for the state of our relationship- for what it's worth... Thank you for raising me for this long." She stated, raising her hood before moving to leave.

"You were right."

She stopped. Confusion crossed her features.

"The amulet is only covering the problem- but trying to control it all at once is too much to handle as well... The books you were looking for- they're not in that library, I have them stashed away- I was hoping the amulet worked, but it seems like your actions proved that my fears were correct. It's a crutch and you've spent too much time wearing it... your strength over your body has declined in response."

So she was correct. She nodded slightly as she brushed the hood back and undid the latch of the clasp as best she could one-handed. "I understand..." Her hands fumbled and she was helped- another pair of hands quickly took over the task.

The amulet disappeared somewhere in the length of the healer's sleeves, with words of reassurance. There would be a talk soon about this.

Though only two moments had passed- her skin was already covered in a thin layer of frost and the darkness in her eyes was fading.

She saw fear ripple through his features and raised her hood again before moving to leave. "Sorry." She mumbled before bumping the door open with a shoulder and slinking off into the streets, heading off to the chapter house, the wilted flowers held close while her bow and quiver bounced on her back with every step- had she lost weight? Did she need to tighten the straps?

Her pace was slow, though her mind was racing with the amount of thoughts in her head. She needed time to process... she just needed some time to figure this all out. She....

...was already at the chapter house already.

She tried to hush-up the noise in her head as she entered, heading towards the feast hall- when she had heard Corben's words.

Alyss took a breath and continued on, entering within- sparing no words. This was not her place to speak, though she seethed that her mentor had slipped away from them and into the Bishop's hands without... some chance of a talk... She had wanted to know what had been the cause of his change...

Her skin crackled coldly as she frowned, setting down the flowers beside her as she sat down. Her hands mechanically reached for food, choosing a small portion from a haunch of meat. She otherwise didn't touch it for the moment.

She had wanted to know why she had to fling arrow after arrow that night until her frustration had led to her body's first transformation into... this.

She wanted to know why he had been involved, why.... why he had gone down this path. Questions would go un-answered for some time at this rate if something wasn't done.

For now, Alyss watched Corben from the shadows of her hood while casting a small glance to the rest. No doubt she had played the part of the fool in the past days- and aimed to lay low for a bit before speaking her mind.

Pious men need never fear the dark. That shadow, the cast of absence on this tired world is only the receptacle for redemption. Praise the darkness, then…for it will always mean you can light a torch and banish it back.

Malwin awoke for the first time in years. He blinked and for a moment, thought he still was blind. But the gloom came to inhabit his sightless eyes and as his pupils widened, he became aware of the dungeon. Dank and decrepit, the catacombs of the Church were a well documented mystery in Gothenheim. No priest made any illusion that the Cathedral had avenues and corridors cut of rock beneath its grand construction, however few could tell you exactly what was there. Malwin knew, once, when his father served the Church. Here, away from the redemption of the sun, they kept the unrepentant, the traitors, the tainted, and the criminals. Not all men walked to the gallows first. Many were sent to the catacombs to reflect on their sins, to reveal information, and then to die with dignity.

His arms and legs were chained, heavy steel manacles strapped across his pale flesh. The bandages across his chest ached whenever he tried to breath but, strangely, he was not in the amount of pain he should have felt. The wound had healed remarkably…perhaps a testament to how long he'd been down here. Surely the clergy had no use to heal a traitor, did they?

"Finally awake, poisoner."

Malwin craned his head painfully, catching glimpse of the figure in shadows shackled to the back wall. It was Kael, one of the traitors from the Wounded Hand. Kael who had served with the Fateguard nobly before, Kael who had lost his mind…or at least that's what he'd been told, and little at that.
"Kael," his voice was dusty so he coughed and spoke again. "Kael, I did not expect to see you again."
"Nor I you," The former Fateguard said with a slight smile, "At least not without your bandages. Had your guest removed, did you?"

"You knew?" The thought was like fingers of bone dragging down the nape of his neck.

"Arcanium knew."

Arcanium. Why was that name so damnedly familiar?

Malwin raised his hands, letting them fall to his lap dejectedly. If he was imprisoned with the traitor, he would be executed with the traitor as well. He would be questioned about the Rove Maw, found to be corrupted, and then killed. His fate, like so many others the Church found wanting, was to pay for his sins in the moments before his neck snapped…or he died from asphyxiation. Never burning anymore, the people wanted a spectacle that didn't scream. They heard enough of those in the night.

"Why?" He asked the words not expecting an answer

"I saw the monolith." Kael said simply, as if that explained everything.

"What is the monolith?"

Kael sighed, shaking his head. "Malwin, of all the rest…I thought you might be able to see. How disappointing."

"See what?"

"Truth," Kael told him with a chuckle, "The Monolith is Truth…but you'll see that soon enough. Even if you haven'" Kael shrank further back into the shadows and there was a sound like twisting metal, clangs, and the man dropped from the wall, rubbing his wrists. There was no sound of guards in the corridor, no alert of watchful sentries. Kael moved across the cell with ease, stopping in front of Malwin and squatting to look the poisoner in the eye. Although it was dark, Malwin could see something burning there…in the depths of Kael. He recognized, for an instant, a familiar darkness before Kael ruffled Malwin's hair.

"Time for me to move along. I guess Arcanium can be mistaken at times…a shame, I thought we'd be comrades again." His hand moved down to pat Malwin on the cheek lightly. The locks sprang and the manacles opened, freeing Malwin.

"How?" he questioned, looking down at his wrists, at the metal that had willingly obeyed without commands, without keys, without…anything.

"If you free yourself from here," Kael wryly smiled, "Tell the Fateguard that the appointed time is drawing near. Tell them to treasure the next sunrise, for it will be their last."

Malwin stood swiftly, pushing aside the pain of his injury to swing at Kael. The nimble archer easily sidestepped, grabbing Malwin's arm and twisting it, forcing the poisoner to his knees. He growled agony, pushing his other arm out to hold him off the ground. Kael tutted quietly. "You'll be a little weak. That sort of healing takes a lot out of you. Arcanium sends it along with his compliments, Malwin. Without you, we wouldn't be nearly as close as we are now."

"Bastard!" Malwin snarled, "Your city, your people, your friends! You'd kill them all?"

"Kill?" Kael chuckled, kicking out Malwin's knees and forcing his face into the stone, "I never said anything about killing."

He twisted Malwin's arm, turning it almost to its breaking point, and then released him, stepping to the cell door and opening it with another shriek of metal. Malwin remained where he had been left, gripping his tortured arm. "And Malwin? The danger tonight will come over the Western wall. You have two hours to prepare." He paused, looking through the bars with something almost like sympathy, "He's going to try to break you, all of you…the ones that still have wills left to be broken. If you can make it home, Malwin, tell them to hide their loved ones…the monsters have targets tonight."

Father Gregory sat at his desk, quietly poring over the documents he'd pulled from the Church archives. Luckily, he was not scrutinized by those who stood higher than he. Age and service had exonerated him of suspicion, so when he took the records of the Fateguard from the Church to study, none asked why.

Perhaps it was better that way.

The feather remained next to him, a dull thing within the confines of the glass he kept it in. But it was anything but dull to him. Pausing in his work, he crossed the room to take it from its appointed place and put it beside him on his desk. When it was near, he was calmer. The responsibility of its possession was his and his alone to bare…and he would have asked for no greater honor.

With it close to him, he could turn back to his work.

Something tugged at his mind as he pored through the documents…records of attack, deaths, the lineages of those who had come to the Fateguard. Yes there was legacy, yes there was blood tied in that suicidal organization…but more than that there was complete chaos. Those who came to the path came from all walks of life and blood, sending their children to the service afterwards as if it was some honor to bare. Once upon a time, Arcanium had tried to obliterate the Fateguard…but in that time none had paused to wonder why it was only the Fateguard he seemed so keen to eliminate. Yes, there was the blessing of their magical items, the holy blessings given, the king's support…yes it made them something of a figurehead, but certainly Gothenheim was not entirely defenseless without them…yet somehow the danger always seemed to find them…it was almost as if…
As if…

Father Gregory did not hear the door quietly open behind him, nor the figure that stood in the doorway. Kael smirked as he drew an arrow taught on the bow that had been left for him in its appointed place. How kind of the priest to make this acquisition so easy…he'd never have been able to get past the Church's wards or exterior defenses. The fools had brought him in themselves, just as Arcanium had predicted.

He loosed the arrow and the priest stiffened, falling over his work and tearing it down with him, all in a loud tumble. Kael cursed the clumsieness of the kill, dancing across the room to scoop the glass up with him before dashing into the hallway. He could hear the tramp of armor down the south corridor, guards quickly on their way.

He took the North, dashing down the hallway soundlessly. Slipping into another room, he quietly opened the windows to the Church sideyard and strung another arrow, tied to a rope. Launching it into a tree in the garden below the Cathedral, he slid down and hit the ground at a tumble. Soon there would be chaos, soon…he would have an opportunity to slip past the guards and into the city. Malwin would warn the Fateguard and the rest…well.

Kael grinned. The appointed time was drawing near.

The guards that found Father Gregory could already see the pallor of death beginning to close over him. The priest pawed for one of the church guards to bend down hear him, his body already shuddering. Gods, it was cold…so unbearably cold.

In the chaos of his strewn work, he already knew what the traitor had taken. But in these final moments he could not bring himself to curse the culprit. His entire life, Gregory had believed that darkness could be controlled, even utilized for a greater purpose. So few here seemed to understand that no one would have a concept of light without darkness. Evil would always exist so long as their were good man to try and stamp it out. What the church had never understood, what he had tried to do with Tahan, was to show that rather than simply eradicating, if they had sought to understand…then perhaps they wouldn't be shut behind the walls…as much their cage as their protection.

"My…journal…" He gasped, pointing weakly at the desk he had fallen from, "Give it…to…Tahan." He gripped the soldier with the strength of a dying man, at once terrifyingly strong and lamb-weak. "Now…bring it…to him…now."

The frightened soldier nodded, starting back from Father Gregory as two acoylytes shoved their way around him to attend to their fallen superior.

"Gods…" Gregory…for in death, he was only Gregory, father no more, muttered, "Gods…forgive me. There's still so much work to-"

And Father Gregory stared blankly at the ceiling.

His soul departed.

When Malwin was a boy, his father had taken him to the base of the grand Cathedral. The day was filled with dappled sunlight, leaves casting shadow patterns on their footsteps. They laid a picnic beneath an oak tree and his father told him tales about the heroic Fateguard. Malwin paid attention when he could, captured by both the adventure and the fleeting flight of dragonflies that alighted on grass blades.

"Did you know, Malwin," His father said, pulling the boy in a tumble to his side, "That the Cathedral is full of secrets?"

"No." Malwin said swiftly, hoping that his eagerness to feign ignorance would entice his father so say more about his fantastic life.

The old man chuckled, ruffling his sons hair. "See yonder tree?" He pointed at a sagging cypress, growing in an embittered battle with a boulder. "Beneath that is a path that leads to the catacombs of the Cathedral. Once upon a time, the Church was as much a stronghold as the castle. I read that before the Fateguard, priests were trained to fight the darkness that climbed over the walls…maybe that's why they hate the guard so much…" He rubbed the stubble on his chin and then poked Malwin's nose with an index finger, "We took their place in the people's hearts."

"But the Fateguard protects everyone, Dad," Malwin mused, rolling over onto his back, "Even the priests. Can't we all just be on the same side?"

"That's the trick of religion sometimes, son," His father told him with a weary smile, "Once you know you can save yourself, you don't need salvation anymore…do you?"

The boulder interwoven with the roots of the yew tree groaned, shifting from its place. Through the gap, Malwin crawled onto the moonstained ground, gripping with earth with bloodless fingers. Spots leaped and spun in his vision, but the poisoner refused to allow himself the luxury of unconsciousness. Terrible knowledge burned in his heart, burdened by his already heavy guilt. For years he had failed the Fateguard he had sworn to protect, to uphold…the organization his father loved. If he fell now, with no one to warn his brothers, he would have betrayed them again.

Staggering to his feet, Malwin stumbled away from the Church into the alleys of Gothenheim. His last few years were blurred to him, memories as unreliable as the tenuous shadows that clung to Gothenheim's walls. Somewhere in his experience the secrets to these grand conspiracies, to Tamoldes and the monoliths, was hidden. He couldn't sort them out. There was only chaos and noise. Damn him, damn his rattled mind. If he could only order these thoughts then perhaps he could piece together what was happening. For years he had been a pawn of Tamoldes, and in that time he certainly would have known the dark prince's plans…or at least what he'd done in preparation. Kael had spoken to him as though he expected the Poisoner to have been a comrade. Something about the monolith had changed Kael, warped him profoundly enough to make the archer believe, truly believe, he worked on a righteous side. There was zealotry burning in his eyes, unquestioning faith.

They were not the eyes of a madman…they were the eyes of a crusader.

If only he could remember what that meant!

How many times had he walked to the Chapter House before? In the day he was blind, he knew the path without looking. Perhaps it was just as well, only ragged will animated his footsteps when he finally reached the doors of the Chapter House. Malwin threw himself against the doors, hurling them open before crashing to the stony floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: unanun and Wolfsin

With bounding steps, the traitor Kael crossed the open ground of the sacred hill. What shadows were not provided by the looming shapes of Cathedral, Castle and Wizard's Tower were lent by the standing stones of the Founding Fathers. Through lattice darkness he swung down and put his back to the pyre where Eric's ashes still swirled. A fitting place of reprieve. Today the living were but gossamer threads between the dead.

Cries pierced the afternoon gloom. Gregory's murder had sent the clergy servants running wild and word had spread to the royal grounds. There would be another manhunt - more stress and whispers in the waking hours of Gothenheim. With Eric's ashes dancing on his shoulders, Kael gave praise to Aurora, for she was ever the goddess of the threshold, bringing day and night together, just as Kael, with every deed, would marry the terror of day and night in this city.

Tears broke from him. He looked to the east, beyond the frail banners of the funeral ground, to where the Aurora Monolith was but a small black groove on the horizon. He would be with it again. And it would stare back into him and make him hollow again.

For oh, how it had filled him in these last hours! That voice, like holiest water, cascading through every cavity. To feel his larynx move, his lungs shape the insolent air and sound rattle in his skull, was delight beyond delight. Kael had loved and been loved in his time. He had shared the heretic nights with Sayra, in the gaze of the Monolith, and read the darkest of Aloysius's library texts. He had felt Elayna's drunken lips between his legs and had the honour to pluck out Nadia's second eye when the time came to kill her.

But never... never had he felt such penetration... such invasion... such masochistic unity as this.

The guards had found the place where Malwin escaped. Shouts and torches streamed around the silhouette cathedral, and in their din Kael's spluttering was drowned. The traitor fell forward beside the funeral pyre, heaving and choking. Whatever light had filled him was now vacating its host. He moaned, as much to savour the last dregs of that angelic voice as quell the pain. A single, violent convulsion shook the length of his body and he fell down as his voice gave out.

He was mute again.

And what stood before him was not light... but rather some synchronicity in the ashes... some chance convergence of dust, wind and soil that had attended on Eric's funeral.

SaintoftheSaints_zps0021efd4.jpg

"Good." The angel spoke with the voice Malwin had heard... the voice Kael had borrowed. And, having said that single word, it waited while the archer reeled to his knees and wiped the phlegm from his chin. Master and servant regarded one another, and from the former came no smiles. "Now lay low. The FateGuard will not be merciful if they capture you again."

The robed figure turned, only to find his essence disturbed, Kael's hand reaching as if to grip the angel's skirts. Perhaps there was loneliness there. Kael was the last of the traitors, after all. Or perhaps the killer simply needed purpose.

So the figment indulged. "The Shadow Weaver sings her song tonight. Look to the Western Wall. And should the FateGuard grow wise to these things, intervene. Make every shot count. Even Derek. I have no sentimentality."

Kael hung his head in acknowledgement. Silence had resumed its throne within him and with it the strength the unbinding had stripped. He stood again and slung his bow while looking eye-to-eye with the angel. No... not an angel... for beneath the show of robes were darker motes, these the coalescence of cruelty and long vendetta. As fruit flies amid the snow, flailing on their backs, or disease spots on virgin skin. It was there... if you looked hard enough... and if you looked hard enough... you would be undone.

Kael silently mouthed the word... wishing dearly he could sound the name of the creature before him...

Arcanium

The celestial mirage nodded once then turned eastward. "My time is up. When the Shadow Weaver breaks the western wall, make sure the wards are not restored. And then I shall be among you."

With that he fell apart, each dust flake losing its coherence and tumbling to the wind. It washed against Kael's face and he closed his eyes, knowing he would be alone when next they opened.

And behind him, amid the calls of the hunting soldiers, he could almost hear the cries of Malwin's brother, Leonardo, still shackled in the depths of the cathedral. With Arcanium's departure the veil would be lifted, and Leonardo would know that it was not an angel who had perched upon his shoulder all these years.

For he had carried something of a different calling. And now it had passed to Kael, and onwards into the Dark.

Pausing to listen to the words of the young man, Gordon ate more boar meat. Asking if this cartographer had mapped the area in which he lived seemed more of a rhetorical question than anything else, which brought a playful smirk onto his lips. Sarcasm dripped as strongly as a waterfall fell as Gordon replied, "No, I decided to map the places I don't see daily," which was followed with a chuckle. "I'm just messin' with ya, I've mapped the whole of Gothenheim and then some. The maps are all in my study, but my memory serves me just fine without the need of the 'paths on parchment,' as I like to call them. You can have them next we have free time." It was at that moment that a familiar figure walked into the room. If memory served Gordon well, which it always had, Ryste was his name. The mention of a heretic confused Gordon rather lightly. Being a bartender usually lead to the drunken truths that otherwise not be told floating in and out of his ears. The men committing adultery, the cheats taken from people in their given professions, and many more, but never had the words of a heretic fluttered into his ears...

Back into the conversation, Gordon was caught off guard when asked to play chess. "Unfortunate for me, I was never good at planning ahead. I was always more of a memory person." However, the very acute nobility that was still left undrown by his drinking habits forced him to accept. "But I will humor you, I do know the rules, maybe I can surprise myself."

It was shortly after he had accepted that yet another person had found their way into the hall. This one was Jenra, as Gordon remembered. He chose not to put any focus on these two and continued to hold up the conversation. "But I will have you know, I can guarantee I will remember the way you play should you challenge me again." Pausing once again to drink more of his modified Ale, he continued. "That's just me, though. One of my gifts from th--" Cut short as his attention was brought to the doors where a third came in. This one was that of a man he thought to be dead. Malwin. The whispers from his bar had caused him to hear of Malwins misbehavior, but regardless of who it was, Gordons better man had always shined at a moment of others needing his aid.

For this reason, as soon as he saw Malwin collapse Gordon lunged out of his seat, giving no time to his conversation to continue. Usually moving this fast was done in armor, so in his current attire he seemed rather clumsy. The sarcasm painted mask that was Gordons face had cracked, revealing his true nature. His first instinct was to fall to his knees in aid and use his forearm to lift Malwins head off the ground. "Malwin!" He shouted. "Malwin, can you hear me!?" Why he cared about a traiter was not beyond Gordon, as he knew it was his nature to have a sense of caring for every life, which was his reason for returning as it was..

Last edited:

The_lost_temple_by_srulik24.jpg

All threads of intrigue that had worked their way into the feasting hall were cut there and then. Gordon was the first to decipher the commotion of the Chapter House servants and in moments was out in the courtyard, pushing footmen aside to get at Malwin. Corben followed soon after, with the others at his heels and ready for violence.

But it was no threat that had pierced the Chapter House compound... only mystery. Corben knelt opposite Gordon and with him stared at Malwin. The heretic poisoner was in the grips of fever, thrashing in the cartographer's arms, and like the poison he had oft inflicted the words seems to leech from him in spills and spurts.

"He spoke... dungeons, beneath... I... where is he... brother... no..."

His body was a tapestry of his time at the Bishop's leisure. Great slashes crisscrossed his torso, made by whips and flails and whatever instruments of confession the Church had favoured. No doubt Malwin had been starved too, and the fever told of dehydration. But one day in the catacombs of the Church had almost killed him.

"Kael," the man hissed, as Gordon held him down. "...killed Gregory... they're coming... Arcanium..."

Corben heard Derek stir behind him. And across the street, beyond the gates of the compound, he saw motion in the alleys to the east. Hues and cries were going up in the evening air and church bells began a warning peel. Commotion was building, and Corben knew the most of it. The Church had suffered tragedy and mobs were being mustered.

The Marshall twisted to regard Alexander. "Take Malwin inside, and keep him alive." Then to the giant Arkavenn, "Keep the Chapter House secured. Let no one inside - not even the Bishop himself."

"Leonardo..." Malwin whispered, before sagging into unconsciousness.

Rising, Corben's sword was drawn in a ringing note. He spoke quickly to the others. "If Kael can be found, it must be we who find him. Should the mobs run him down, we lose all knowledge of the Wounded Hand. Hurry!" He broke into quick stride, the servants parting as he threw wide the gates and made for the streets. He called over his shoulder as he moved. "Lay no hand upon the clergymen. We cannot afford bloodshed."

Behind him the others readied themselves to follow, while Alexander scooped Malwin up and carried him inside.

And Jenra's warning about the sleepwalking children was thus neglected...

ada.jpg

Within the hour, Corben was kneeling again. But it was not mystery that compelled him this time. His legs had given out and his body had been brought down by grief. His sword was driven into the ground of the sacred hill and he rested his head against the hilt, eyes closed, skin pale with despair.

Before him seethed a crowd of townsfolk, a grey and brown mass that roared and flailed on the muddy grass. Hundreds had encircled the Church on the hill, coming beyond the inner wards to voice their outrage. Their cries made music with the warning bells, and fists were raised with torches, farm tools and effigies. Nights before, when the King's life had been threatened by the Wounded Hand, the news had been suppressed expertly. But reports of this murder... this slaughter of Father Gregory... had spread through the city like wildfire. For every ten peasants was a brother of the Church lamenting the violation of the holy domains and preaching to console or direct the mob's fury.

The result was chaos. For one thing had focussed the attention of the crowd and stirred them to this din. It was the same thing that had brought Corben to his knees.

From the clanging bell tower that fronted the west face, a rope swayed. And on its end, in a noose drawn tight, hung a body grey as the evening sky. The traitor had been delivered... the conspirator judged...

...and on the ground around the tower, scraps of bandages were trodden in the mud, along with pieces of a white and gold-edged robe that... finally... after immaculate decades... had dirtied.

The news was rife amongst the crowd. Several brothers of the Alchymia Chapter, enraged by the murder of Gregory, had stormed the cell of Leonardo, brother to the fugitive Malwin. And what they could not, in their frustration, do to the assassin Kael, was done unto Leonardo.

Pale hair hung across the dead man's face as he swayed on the rope. It hid the burns of old... the bruises of his torturers... and the blue eyes that had shone so brightly in his days of service. None would ever look on them again.

Rage and heartache dueled behind Corben's eyes. Part of him thought to butcher the mob, to scatter them as they cursed and pelted Leonardo's body. Another part thought to storm the Church, to find the ones who had committed this atrocity. The other FateGuard stood around him and were ready to honour his choice either way.

But both would undo him. Both would be acts of war, the spark to a conflict that hung over all of Gothenheim. Any reprisal now would only further the Bishop's ends and complete the political isolation of the FateGuard. The Marshall knew this, for it was one half of the despair that gripped him.

"We shall not cower. We shall not weep." A voice was ringing through the crowd, from some parapet of the church. Perhaps it was the Bishop himself, or one of his preachers. The words stirred the crowd ever louder. "The work of Father Gregory will prevail. The Legionnaires will march, and we shall steel this city against the night."

A painting was hoisted amongst the crowd - an oil rendering of Father Gregory, perhaps taken from his quarters in the furor. It brought more cheers. For as Leonardo was made the monster, so was Gregory made the martyr.

"GOD PROTECT THE LEGIONNAIRES! PRAISE BE TO THE HOLY WARRIORS!"

It had always been inevitable. What standing the FateGuard had reclaimed by unmasking Aloysius, or by defeating Tamoldes, was unraveled like the rope that hanged Leonardo. The Watch had been deemed corrupted, and the Legionnaires the perfect alternative. The people would have to choose. The King would have to choose. And right now... there was little doubt which way opinion would turn.

"How much longer must we do this, Marshall?"

[imga]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/Asmodeus1845/Stories/wallstein.jpg[/imga]The voice pulled Corben from his thoughts. Rising, he turned with the other FateGuard to see a procession approaching. A dozen monks holding torches had circled the lower hillside and now looked up at them. Perhaps it was deliberate - the FateGuard were trapped between them and the mob at the Church walls. And amongst their number, in a hooded robe, Bishop Wallstein met the Marshall's eye.

"How many more must die? How many more traitors must we unmask within your house before you accept the ruin of the FateGuard?"

The Bishop spoke with neither grief nor anger. His words were level; stoic. If there was any sense of political victory here, he did not show it. Some of the peasants heard his voice and turned to witness the stand-off. In less than minutes, Corben knew, this showdown would eclipse the spectacle of Leonardo's hanging. And without the King or the Mage's Guild here there would be no one to intervene in this feud.

He had to think quickly...

The Bishop extended a hand to Tahan. "My child, you are recalled to the Alchymia Chapter. Your apprenticeship is ended. Come."

He had taken Kael. He had taken Malwin. He had taken Leonardo. And now... now the Bishop would take Tahan.