FateGuard: Darker Nights

"I am a Farborn, child of the Pilgrims,
Seed of my ancestors who crossed the Barren Sea.
To Gothenheim I pledge my strength,
To the city alone in a land of winter.
When all is lost the walls shall lean upon me,
When gates are breached I shall bar the way.
I am FateGuard, bound to my brothers and sisters,
And shall not let the Pilgrim's City fall."

Corben spoke the words in the forge-light, and with them restored solemnity to the meeting. On finishing, he looked to Alyss and Severin. "We have all sworn this very oath. The only outsiders are the ones beyond that Wall. The King was my childhood friend. The Bishop defended us when the Mages sought to recall the logging parties. Even the Wizard Endleweiz saved my life from the Wounded Hand and healed me of Malwin's poison. These men are not our enemies - only brothers blinded. What I do I will do for them and for all Gothenheim. That is our oath."

He set the white queen on the anvil, laying the piece on its side. "As for weapons... I do not welcome Ferrick back to our order for sentiment alone. He looked to the man who stood beside Derek. "The wolf has seen something, a half-mile beyond the city wall. A marker to the Shrine of Soterion."

Recognition widened the eyes of some in the gathering - those who had read the deeds of the city's founding. For others, Corben's explanation followed promptly. "Our legends tell that our Founding Father, Tiberus Malorn, was led to these shores by the light of an angel. He named it Soterion and as the last stones were lain on the Walls of Gothenheim, he made an offering to this angel. He buried the keepsakes of those knights who had fallen at the Battle of White Rock."

A bell rang out in the night, chiming from the tower of the Pilgrim's cathedral. It was the hour of sundown and the curfew had begun. In every home the lamplight glowed and children, enchanted of late by the Shadow Weaver, were now in bed for storytelling. It was a strange reflection of the scene around Corben - a night-time tale to restore their hope.

The marshal pulled on a cloak and set the furs across the hilt of his sword. "We had thought the shrine unmarked. But Ferrick says he has seen it. And as one who saved our lives three nights ago, I believe him. The wolf can find the shrine..."

He paced to the courtyard's corner, and stared through the doorway of his home, to the second ex-member who sat in his dining room, unannounced till now.

"And there is another amongst us... who knows the tunnels that can take us there."

Malwin had chosen to remain quiet during the gathering of the Guard. Some were new, green-stemmed saplings springing up from thin soil and others were the warped, twisted things that had grown from such blood-rich loam. He closed the book on the table quietly and laid his quill beside it. Standing up, he paced out of the house and toward the forge, standing just beyond the firelight.

In the days since Ferrick had been returned from beyond the wall, the two had spoken. Before, Malwin had never spent long in discussion with the former marshall, having little in common. But both men suffered curses before, overwhelming darkness that had perverted who they were...puppeted them on strings.

Now? There was a wary kinship between the two.

Malwin settled beside Ferrick, the light barely touching the contours of his face, finding more rest in the golden hair that spilled from his brow. Momentarily his eyes flicked to Alyss, held her, then spun off of her and onto Corben.

"The Rove Maw."

The others turned to face him, and he offered a grimace. "To those of you unfamiliar, the Rove Maw leads to a host of tunnels beneath this city. Centuries ago there was another that stood here, an empire, but the remains are buried." He crossed his arms, "I have familiarity down there, and I believe I know what Ferrick is referring to. The tunnels go out beyond the wall for miles in either direction, so it will be our most subtle approach to leaving for the shrine without alerting the Legionnaires or other interested parties."

The eyes on him held weight, they bored into his shoulders. It had not been long ago that he had nearly betrayed and killed them all. Sighing, he ran a hand through his golden hair and looked into the fires of the forge. "I know it is difficult to trust me now. But the evil that controlled me once has been purged from my body. I am no longer the Malwin you've known for these several years...I was a prisoner. I...hope you will find it in your soul to forgive me my weakness. I will make an effort to get to know each of you as myself, and I ask you give me this chance to redeem myself."

Cutting himself off, he offered a short bow and stepped away from the light, engulfed in shadow again. His time to speak had ended and he waited to hear what Corben and the others would do with this information.

Reactions: Hydronine
Derek's eyebrows raised in surprise. Delve back into the Rove Maw to reach Soterion and claim the artifacts of Gothenheim's past. Though he didn't know the tunnels beyond what they had explored he knew all too well that Malwin did. Not more than a week ago Tahan's armor had become possessed by the so called demon prince and he had dueled with it. Had Derek not been poisoned by a possessed Malwin at the time it was likely he would have destroyed the still awakening monstrosity in it's weakened state.

But that was the past. This Malwin was not the Malwin from the tunnels; his appearance, his demeanor, even the way he carried himself was different. And that was enough for Derek. Some could consider it foolish, but ultimately Derek wanted to believe another FateGuard has been delivered from the dark and he saw no reason to disbelieve Malwin.

"I think I can agree with that idea. We have to start somewhere after all. My only concern is that the only entrance to the Rove Maw is in Malwin's home, and we're not going to get easy access in there I don't think. Last I knew the mages were still studying that hole and the ruins beneath it and I'd bet money that our "friend" the bishop has posted legionaries there. If I'm right it won't be easy getting in...we might even have to thump a few people on the head and put them out for a spell without anyone seeing us," Derek looked around the forge at veterans and greenhorns alike, "Everyone here seems to think themselves prepared to do what they need to, but can you really do it? Can you bring your might to bear against people that would relentlessly hunt us down if they knew what we were doing?"

Derek looked once more around the fire and smiled. He removed form his back a long burlap bag and placed it on the table. The bag pooled on the table revealing a the helmet to his armor before Derek took it from the table and placed it over his head and in doing so his voice took on a familiar metallic distortion...

"Because I know I am."

Alwyn fidgeted nervously at the fringe of the group and the light of the forge listening to Corben and the others speak. Several thoughts raced through his head and would have been visible in his eyes if anyone had bothered to glance at him. The majority of the thoughts formed around the same emotion, fear. He trusted Corben of course, the man was, or at least had been the leader of the FateGuard. But, what the ex-marshal asked for was treason. Political pressure or not, the king had dissolved the FateGuard. If they were caught forming an armed night watch of sorts the punishment would be painful to say the least.

With an involuntary shiver the thoughts and chill of the night seeped through the warmth of the cloak Alwyn wore. Part of him wanted to flee, to bolt down the path and out the gate into the darkness and toward the safety of home. The other part of him wanted to inch closer to the light, and to what it provided. Instead he remained rooted where he stood. As he listened to the others his conviction faltered, doubt swamping all other thoughts. The man known as Severin pointed out the issues in having a militia of sorts and how it would be noticed. Alyss questioned why Severin was even present, the edge on her voice sharper than that of a blade. Alwyn closed his eyes and took in a breath of chilled air. It was already starting to fall apart.

At that point Corben spoke again, his voice clear and distinct, reciting the oath that Alwyn had learned by heart. The oath melting away the doubt and despair that clutched at him. Alwyn opened his eyes again, and noticed that Corben had set the last chess piece on the anvil. Muted thoughts raced through his head as he pondered the significance of the piece. Those thoughts were scattered when Malwin appeared and spoke.

Alwyn had heard about what had happened with the Rove Maw. Who had been lost and how it had led to their present state. Fear began to creep inside him again and at that point Derek stepped forward...

"Because I know I am."

It was now or never, Alwyn had to decide.

He wavered on the spot uncertain of what to do. Time seemed to stretch out, the forge light looked suddenly very far away. Alwyn closed his eyes for a moment and muttered under his breath, and then stepped forward toward the table and the warmth of the light. The last bit of what he was said barely audible to those near him as he passed.

"… shall not let the Pilgrim's City fall."

Depositing his own bundle on the table he rapidly and wordlessly undid the leather strips that kept the cloth closed, pulling from it his bow and quiver filled with a handful of arrows. With a practiced motion the quiver was attached to his belt and the bow clutched tightly in hand. Looking at the others he suddenly felt much shorter than he already was. Keeping his emotions in check he swallowed and nodded before taking up a position to the back and left of Derek.

Reactions: Asmodeus
Heavy footsteps, powerful yet lacking in grace, echoed through Corben's home. A lone Legionnaire had arrived, and it gazed at the facade of the house for a while. The helmets that the golems usually wore, skulls of vanquished monsters, was hidden beneath an iron plate with a horizontal slit cut across to allow for sight. The plate seemed to be hastily fastened on the skull, for the rest was hidden with a white hood, pure of colour, pristine to the point of reminding those of the Saint Who Would Not Be Named ... except for the red and dark splashes across the tunic. It held its giant cleaver in hand, the tip tapping the cobblestone in rhythm with its breathing, the giant kite shield held upright at its side.

It seemed to pay an unusual amount of attention to this particular house, pausing for what might have been a long while until its reverie was interrupted by the arrival of yet another one. This one seemed to be from an older generation; clothed in bones and stitched skin, the eye sockets in its skull helmet smoldered, fierce remnants of a dying sun. They both looked at each other, seeming to exchange words, thoughts. Apparently coming to an understanding, the clergy-cum-legionnaire departed and resumed its mechanical, stomping path through the dark, winding streets.

The other stayed behind, also staring at the dwelling. It seemed to come to a decision shortly. It threaded its arm through the leathern loops on the back of the shield, and grasping the sword with the same hand, raised the other to knock on the door. Thump. Thud. Thock.

I require the services of the blacksmith Corben. The words rang from inside the helmet, spoken by the occupant through bone jaws that were sewn shut.

Though Corben opened the door, he did not answer, and the golem continued.

The blacksmiths that the Church employs are not skilled. I wish to have my tools maintained. The suit presented the cleaver and shield, both covered in rust and an innumerable amount of rifts and scratches from skirmishes at the gates. Of course, no ordinary Legionnaire would have had this amount of self will, which meant ...

If it had noticed the gathering behind Corben, it did not allude to in the slightest.

Alyss regarded Corben with weary eyes as he spoke, listening quietly, her eyes narrowing as he finished. Items? Ferrick and... Malwin would be able to... Malwin...

Her head throbbed. The peace in her head suddenly fell away from her and her eyes ached, it felt as though she had stared into the sun's rays for too long... No, no, calm. Calm down, look at the shadows of the room, try and tune everything else out, take your time.

Why are you so weak? This is just uncomfortable, not painful, so why are you reacting so severely?

The voice echoed in her skull, until it was just a mesh of additional noise. She searched through all the sound in her head, focus on the external. Malwin was speaking. Or was he? He was here?... She raised her eyes, looking towards the source of the voice to confirm, and then lowered her eyes again, focusing to listen while trying to get her head to stop pounding. He was talking about it... the Rove Maw... She'd rather forget the whole damned chain of events. Nothing good came of it... nothing good had come in weeks...

Really, nothing good? Not at all? And here I thought getting everything under control was such a victory.

Her eyes squeezed shut and she bit her lip. Focus. Try a little harder. This isn't anything new. And then she caught wisps of Malwin's next words. What in the world kind of emotion was even going on right now? Her cheeks felt flushed with guilt, and yet she still didn't understand any of this. She just didn't... No, stop that, don't focus on that, just keep trying to listen. Focus. Why was it so hard for her to take all of this in?

Flashes of memories were called up, and for a moment, that emotion burbled up inside her again.

She wanted it to stop, she just wanted to forget it, nothing good would come of any of this. There was no way she or anyone else had known and yet, this was her fault too, this was... her fault too. No, no. This exactly why she had never wanted this to happen in the first place, her emotions had never been so jumbled up in her head before this. How could she go back to the way things were? But for him there was no "before", was there... So..Was there a way? No... and she had royally screwed herself with all of this.

I hardly think a pity-party will help your issues. Pick yourself up. Were you so emotionally void that even a spark of anything sends you into a frenzy?

She shook her head of the thoughts and took a breath. Malwin had finished talking and Derek had just started. Everything was started to quiet down and she was finally able to hear clearly again. Her head's aches faded away and her eyes cleared with time and she nodded slightly to his words, a small smile on her lips. Then she watched as one of the greenhorns took up a bow, taking his place behind Derek- the smile grew a little.

Perhaps there was hope. They could do this... She was just as driven as ever- she just needed to make sure she was focused enough, that's all. Focused on the right things. Block out everything else.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. You're underestimating the possible consequences again- how many people have to die before you realize that maybe it would be better if you just... disappeared. Live a normal life- or is that even possible for you? Even with the disguise, you stick out like a sore thumb, is that why you rarely leave the house? Is that why you just keep yourself hidden away? How could you possibly have that problem but when night comes and you're called for, you just get up and do what you need to? No... You're being reckless, you need to stay out of public eye, you're going to get killed. And it won't be anyone else's fault but yours.

The smile vanished, quickly turning into a grimace. Near the end the echos marred the individual words, every sound repeating, reverberating inside her skull. Her thoughts again turned to the memory of the swaying rope. She felt too hot, like she was sweating through her clothes. Everything seemed too loud, and all she could see was that damned rope. She trembled as the echoes collided over and over again in her head. The fear was getting to be too much, it was poisoning her thoughts- she knew that. She needed to calm down, she knew that too. It felt like the past few weeks had been nothing but dealing with pain and fear in one way or another.

She just wanted it to stop.

Alyss tried to slow her breathing, calm her heart, but her shuddering kept up. She just wanted to stop being scared, and she wanted to trust the people around her- and yet the only way she felt like she could even ward off the fear was to either hide herself away from the world or do what she could to prove that she was the last to be feared. The panic was slow to fade.

Slowly, slowly, her body relaxed and she looked up again. Her eyes sought out Malwin in the shadows he shared with Ferrick... Why was she looking to him for support? Her eyes slowly lowered reluctantly... but what could she do? All those nights and only one of them was truly in control of themselves. Surely before, there had been harmless kinship, but even that was questionable... How many of those nights had he actually been wanting something different? How many nights had he truly just wanted to be with his wife and child and she didn't even know? Was he conscious through it all? Was he aware of it all? Did he begrudge her? How long was she going to bear the weight of this guilt?

She closed her eyes for a moment.

I require the services of the blacksmith Corben.

Malwin had felt him. Ferrick had smelled him. And any other who had not detected the Legionnaire's approach was assured of it when that fist-and-sword-hilt knock shook the gate of the courtyard. The curfew was in place. The Legionnaires were roaming. And one of these enigmas had drifted their way.

Corben answered slowly, crossing the courtyard with steps casual enough to give the others time. Alwyn and Derek hid their weapons, Malwin and Ferrick withdrew into the house, and others pulled up hoods and lowered heads. It would be the semblance of a reunion, a late-night celebration - anything but a nest of conspirators.

When the ex-marshall opened the gate his head craned back. The smell of holy unguents wafted over him and towards the others while the air grew colder.

The blacksmiths that the Church employs are not skilled. I wish to have my tools maintained.

The hilt of a cleaver and the edge of a shield extended towards him. Corben had no choice but to step back, to open the gate further for the Legionnaire to see. It was part intimidation and part surprise; for few Legionnaires ever addressed citizens directly. That this one was looking down at him and offering its arms was truly unsettling.

And it could mean only one thing.

"Tahan..." As ever, this bone-armoured automaton was a world away from that tattooed boy they had taken in. Even the eyes were unknowable behind that hooded visor. Corben was struck now by the memory of that first night when Tahan arrived and slew the Darraskun Dragon. The ruin of the FateGuard had issued from that very moment. It was as if Tahan was an omen, the bone-wreathed symbol of what was coming to replace the Night Watch.

Corben glanced over his shoulder at his co-conspirators and thought quickly. "We were holding vigil for Leonardo."

If this stirred the boy... if this reminded him of the man who had cared for him... who had defended him against the others... Tahan did not show it. He merely presented the weapons again. Corben took the cleaver, weighty like a sledge hammer, and examined the rust, like drying blood, along its serration. He could hear little shifts in the postures of those behind him. No doubt some of them were ready. Some of them had blades poised with which to kill Tahan... this conspiracy preserved in a first blood of murder.

The marshall's mind raced as he stared at the cleaver, as he felt the breath of the Legionnaire upon him. He painted a map of the city in his mind. He imagined, he calculated. Then before the seconds could stretch any tenser he looked up at Tahan.

"Coslin Oil."

He cleared his throat. "I need Coslin Oil. I used my last on the logging carts this morning." The map in his head switched over and focussed. "Journeyman Lisyt... Erilyn's brother... he has some at his workshop. Will you escort me?"

The next pause was longer. Corben offered the cleaver back and his arm trembled as the blade hung in the air between them. Tahan made no answer but eventually gripped the weapon and took one step back into the street. Never had one motion dispelled so much tension.

"I need my tools," Corben murmured and turned quickly to step through the gathering of FateGuard who were watching Tahan's every move. And as the marshall neared the forge he let his arm relax and swing down to knock the chess pieces from the anvil. They fell at Derek's feet. The lieutenant crouched... and Corben crouched with him. They began picking up the pieces.

"Follow at a distance," Corben whispered. "Bring those who are willing. I'll detour to Malwin's house and have Tahan call off the sentries..." His eyes glanced but once at the waiting Legionnaire, "...then overpower him... somehow." He took the pieces from Derek and straightened slowly. "I'll light a candle at a window when the way is clear. Keep Malwin and Ferrick close."

The rest did not need saying - the part where their capture would spell certain death. Corben stood up fully, stowed the pieces, then gathered up his tools in a leather satchel. "Thank you for the vigil, friends," he said aloud to his fellow conspirators. "You can wait out the curfew in my hearth room. Leonardo would have wanted us to be together this night."

With this double-meaning laid, he slipped out of the courtyard and into the street beside Tahan. A nod was answered with a stare, and together marshall and monster set off into the night, the dual clanking of armour and blacksmith tools marking their way.

Those who followed would commit; those who deserted would be blameless.

The heresy had begun.

"Follow at a distance. Bring those who are willing. I'll detour to Malwin's house and have Tahan call off the sentries...then overpower him... somehow."

"Part of me would prefer to just kill the traitorous little scum, but I suppose manipulating him would be satisfying as well..." Derek hissed in reply as he smothered his vindictive urges. One of the things Derek had always appreciated about his helmet, if not his armor as a whole, was that when he would whisper only those within direct proximity would be able to hear him. It was times like these that that particular trait served him well. He quietly lead the rest of the FateGuard into Corben's hearth room and remained silent for but a minute before turning to the rest of the FateGuard, "Malwin, Ferrick, with me. The rest of you I'm going to make this perfect clear. This is your last chance. Leave now and go live your lives as normal citizens, or come with me and Corben to fight as FateGuard and Gothenheim's true protectors," looking to Malwin and Ferrick the three men departed without waiting for a response from anyone else.

Following Corben was a simple enough task. The legionaries weren't exactly quick on their feet in their normal state and the sound of their armor rattling was unmistakable. It was a strange feeling walking through the streets as they were. For all his time as Corben's right hand the number of times FateGuard had ever been in a position that Derek had to take charge were few and far between. It became slightly easier each time, but was continuously nerve-racking. He caught himself hoping Corben would be able to handle Tahan without his usual arsenal and quickly banished the thought from his head. There was no sense in worrying about problems that had yet to arise. As Derek lead the FateGuard between low-light positions he addressed those that had followed him without looking back, "Corben is going to detour Tahan to Malwin's home and get him to send the legionaries away. Then he's going to be foolhardy and try to overpower Tahan. If he had his blessings I'd be alright with that plan but without them it's not what I would call his best work, so be ready to help him if we must. Assuming all goes well he'll light a candle in the window when the path is cleared of threats, then down into the Rove Maw we go once more."

As the group approached the last stretch of road to Malwin's home Derek raised his hand and halted the advance of his allies, "Find a place to hide until we get Corben's signal. Even if you think Corben needs help do not advance unless I do so first..." at least this way if they were caught trying to subdue a legionnaire the others would have a chance to escape...

It was in this moment for Derek that the FateGuard had truly been reborn.

The walk gave Ferrick time to ruminate, even with the need to stay hidden. He was going to fight. He was here to fight. But he would be a liar if he'd said that he had no reservations. Not about their cause, he was committed to that. He had reservations about himself.

He had more control over the wolf, enough that he came back to Gothenheim. But it wasn't a complete control. He could feel the wolf at the edges of his conciousness trying to get his attention. He was intentionally not responding to the occasional whines that came from his own mind yet was always off to the sides from around him. When he was in control it was easy to keep the wolf in line, but that control weakened as his emotions built up. Outside the walls of Gothenheim it was no concern, he could go from wolf to man all he wanted there. But inside...

When they stopped in the darkness and Derek gave his orders, he stepped in closer to the man and turned his back to the others. His voice was low to travel only between them. "If the worst happens, and I lose control again inside the walls, don't hesitate. We're here to defend Gothemheim from all threats."

Although his tone was dead and serious when he spoke, he did manage a small, grim smile as he added, "Or if there is a greater threat just turn the wolf at it and let it wear itself out."

Maulnar was surprised, to say the least, when the Corben opened the door to reveal a Legionnaire. Even more so when the blacksmith decided to leave with him, since the old man couldn't hear what Corben whispered. While his hearing is surprisingly well for his age, he is beginning to notice a lesser hearing on his part. His sight had never been too good, hence the glasses, but there was not much help for bad hearing. At least not yet.

The scene played out before him pretty fast, and as soon as it passed, he was presented with a choice with no inbetween. Either leave now, go back to his own daily life, or follow the young'uns, and risk your life protecting fools debatable on whether or not worth protecting.
But the opportunity was too grand for Maulnar to pass on. Surely he wasn't that much help physically, much less in combat, and his old bones would probably do best resting the few years he had left. But then, on the other hand, he didn't have much longer to live, considering the average life expectancy in these times. Of course, being a doctor, he knew how to keep his body healthy and fit, but you can only delay aging by so much. Soon, he'd become bedridden, and with no friends, family, or money for hiring anyone, that would surely mean his death.

The choice was easy, and Maulnar followed closely behind Derek. Only when Derek explained what Corben had planned, did he nod, finally understanding, and agreeing with, the plan Corben had. His lips curled up into a smile once more. This day has become far more interesting than he had ever hoped it would become when he first read that letter.
Now he stood there, hidden, awaiting a signal. Be it positive or negative.

Severin followed from the rear keeping an ear out for anyone approaching, he would have preferred if they had stayed off the main roads completely but the route they had taken would save the extra time of having to weave in and out of alleys and old pathways. Even more so he wished he had brought Xavier along to watch over Corben and the legionnaire, but there was nothing he could do about it now. Even if they had been spotted most everyone had some sort of robe or hood to mask their faces, so it was unlikely for someone to pick them out and report it to the Bishop or King.

As they grew closer to their destination Severin became more tense, the hairs on his neck stood on end. He'd fought monster and muggers a like but never had he had to fight something like the legionnaires. Humans wrapped in the bones of monsters taking on their appearance, he'd be lying if it didn't put him on edge even a little. He kept his hand close to the hilt of his sword just in case

Kaede could feel her heart pounding. She tried to brush off the anxiety but it was hard. She had not experienced anything like this before and the more she heard and saw, the more this feeling grew in her chest. She wanted to stay. She wanted to do this, to continue what would have been her life if different. Kaede was no coward and she felt this was the right path. But that did not quell the fear that rose up inside of her. The worry and the doubt. Kaede did not want to die and she was afraid. She kept her face as neutral as possible though, not wanting to reveal her fear to the others. Kaede still felt like she had to prove herself to them. Maybe that would never go away.

She looked at Derek as he spoke. This was the last chance she would have. She could leave and live a normal life. The chance was still there but every second it became farther away. Kaede knew it was not an option though. Even if she was afraid, she would not turn away from this. She followed the others, wondering if any of them could hear the thudding in her chest as her heart raced.

She was happy for a pause and she moved into the shadows, waiting for the next order. Whatever happened next, Kaede wasn't sure if she was entirely prepared, but now there was no turning back.

Alyss fell in line almost automatically, trailing behind the three men, one arm withdrawn into her shroud, gripping onto a knife, forgoing the bow on her back with her quiver- wary of its likelihood to break. Her eyes settled on Malwin's back every once in a while, then she'd shake her head of the thoughts and focus on the task at hand, thinking about Tahan.

Everyone had their own agenda in the end, everyone had their own reason to live... so did he still have his own purpose and reason, or had that been taken from him- surely the fact that he was even here spoke volumes, but...

She looked to Malwin and Ferrick- they too had once been under pressure from other entities, and they managed to fight through it. Was there a possibility that Tahan would ever come back to them? A possibility that he differed from the rest of his group was something she wanted, badly. She wanted an edge, she wanted some way to get them back into good graces.

To save your own skin, most likely.

Her eyes narrowed, her free hand balled into a fist, frost lacing over her whitened knuckles. "That's not the only reason." She snapped out loud gruffly, then stopped, shaking her head again. No one heard that, no one could have heard her, no.

You're so scared, your dreams of doing the right thing to change your fate is almost sad. So scared that you took away most of your only trump card- instead of learning how to control it. You're so desperate to be normal, what's the use? How much are you going to change before you realize that you can't change their view? How long before you just give up and die?

She sighed, her hand loosened and the frost faded away. It's just trying to trigger me, she thought to herself. She was ok, she needed to trust her companions, she needed to just keep doing her job. Everything was fine. Her heart was still racing though- something primal inside herself was still acting cornered and scared. It's just stress, she thought. All this is just stress, I'm just tired. Everything that's happened has just shaken me up. I'll be fine, Alyss continued, her body keeping in pace with the others.

Just let it out. Talk to someone instead of pulling this. You're tearing yourself apart every night because of what? Your looks? Your powers? Mistakes? How much of that can you really control? Why should you even try? Wouldn't it just be easier to-

"No." She whispered before the thought finished. No, that wouldn't work either. Be smart about this. Her feet slapped against the cobbled roads awkwardly, and the sound made her remember small flashes of past nights as she watched Malwin's form, her eyes immediately turned away. He was always her last resort, It was not that long ago that she thought herself dangerous, it wasn't that long ago that she would confide in him. How she had always talked of wanting a plan in place.

Yet, when she had endured that night, looked into his eyes as his forced betrayal had been carried out- it was entirely different than what she had wanted. The look in his eyes when he finally regained control...

Her grip on the knife tightened, her cheeks flushed. That horrid knot in her throat was tightening up and her stomach felt sick... that's when it poke again.

Just let it go. It's not important.

She nodded slightly, the voice was quiet, soothing, gentle. For once it was helpful. For once, it was saying something she could agree with. Slowly, the feeling of guilt drifted away. Her eyes brightened and she felt more focused- she felt unburdened. A little weight was taken from her shoulders. She felt less tense...

Relieved, that's what it was... she felt relieved.

She didn't notice her grip on the knife tightening.

When Corben extended the sword and shield, the skull gazed silently at him, pausing before reaching out to grab its implements. At least it was not lying, for the sword did not slide into its sheathe well, and the loops on the back of the kite shield squeaked as it swung back and forth on its arm. As a pair, they strode to their destination in silence. But even in the silence, the pair communicated somewhat. The legionnaire seemed neutral in its gait. Perhaps to the ignorant, they would have looked like a knight and squire out for an evening run. For all the malice the Legionnaires had incurred from the FateGuard, they themselves did nothing to return in kind. But their duties, carried out ever so faithfully, were not rewarded in equal by the general populace. The Bishop had hastened to disguise the beastly nature of his cleric-warriors, concealing their horrible visage behind featureless steel plates. Now, they were transformed into clanking metal golems, rust and blood covered iron avatars that wandered the streets and perimeters of the city.

The pair silently moved on. The Legionnaire found the both of them in front of Malwin's house, guarded by a pair of Legionnaires stationed at each end of the door. They did not move nor acknowledge their presence.

It paused, the skull twisting to gaze at Corben. Did it seem to be smiling, or was it always grinning from ear to ear ... ? It held up two fingers, perhaps wishing to express the humour it found in the number of twos tonight, before turning and preparing to move on.

Recap Post up to Point~

The world had shown its unsightly light over the dreams of a man, a horrific maze of tombs, and the soft whisper daunting female voice that relentlessly coaxed the boy onward. Mist filled the underbrush with a cloak of mystery and the whistling wind only made it that much more surreal, as it bit at the nape of the boys neck. He could still see the raven haired beauty, even now, and he could still hear her song as he had before, but not as demanding as it once had been. These things might have been disturbing, and to some depth; they were, but the true horror of his sleeping lies held more personal sacrifices upon an easily bared cross. The scornful voice of his commander hit him like a stone upon his cheek, and the shrill tormented screech of the little girl so closely kept by Corben, The false memories of those that had died on the night of the shadow Weaver. Those memories, however manifestent they might have been still haunted him like a plague not soon begone from him.

However at the end of every dark and dreary dungeon, somewhere along the way; there is a light that marks the proclaimed "end" of the tunnel. The sad reality of this, is that the light is merely the second lap. and the "end" is nothing more than a dead end. On this particular journey however, the end was marked in sunlight brilliantly glistening through the window of the young boys home.

Arias woke with a bit of stir, but quickly suited himself and calmed down. His feet bare and ill treated draped at the bottom of his bed, and he sat there shirtless. it had not been terribly long since most things had fallen from graces he had known to love, but now adays he found himself more so lost than he ever had been. it was as though he had been given a large sum of coin, and then right as he had made a selection to buy, it had been yanked from him. It hardly suited the wounds he thought of with that family but it was also still damn early morning and his b\mind had not settled in quite yet. Arias pushed himself from his bed however, allowing himself that time he needed to wash up, and take general care of his body, get dressed, and all of those things, he found himself staring into a reflection in a mirror.

Arias had grown a bit, though it was more so an observation poked at by the local towns wives and such, who still hadn't lost all of their faith in the young boy. His hair was a crisp blonde, and it had grown quite a bit longer, even a braid had been weaved in the mess of it all. He still held brilliant silvery blue colored eyes, although his eyebrows were much more defined, than they had been before. He had facial hair now as well, all symbols to show that he was growing, although he didn't dare to mention most of his changes had been a result of depression. He didn't spend a lot of time washing however, and was soon pulling on his day clothes, and enough weight to at least allow him a bit of struggle in his everyday works. He would deal with those struggles as a masochist, as his own brand of self mutilation and punishment.

Soon enough Arias was on his way out the door, his metal strapped on, though not as heavily as he might have liked. He really hadn't dawned that armor sense he had gotten it redone, and when the Fateguard disbanded. His sword was strapped firmly to his hilt, although it wasn't the most precious weapon he once had cherished, the one time he had used it, and the weapon had become lost to him, yet another failure to mark under that belt he wore. The air was clean as it ever was, which didn't say all that much, but there was more to the day this time, and as Arias looked through his mail an envelope hidden in Arias very own secret compartment to his box held his attention, and although the news was unexpected, and well worded quite deathly, he couldn't help but smile as he folded the letter up, shredded it, and tossed it to the wind. Arias always had wondered if things were as they seemed, and deep down he'd always been expecting this very letter to come, more so in the beginning than now, but it was welcomed that was a fact. What it entailed, it took hardly a fool to guess; the time had come for them to stand up. Arias would return to his new found family and continue where he left off. No, Not there, not this time. No This time he would go further even, and he knew just how he had to do it. So with a bit of jump in his step Arias moved off towards Corbens meeting place, but he would be arriving far earlier than it had been stated to, something had to be confirmed for the boy.

Apprentice~

Gothenheim, really had not changed too much since everything had happened, although the recent makeshift addition of these "legionnaires" was laughable, in concept. Arias was hurrying as fast as he could to race to where he knew he could find Corben, although his doubts had kicked in fully now, and with every step he felt his breath slipping further and further from his body; and fear struck in like a nail. His mind was all sorts of strange at the moment though; so it didn't truly pick at him, that he found himself also thinking of Alyss in this moment. It wasn't odd right? She was a true member of the Fateguard, one that had been there for a long time too, and she was beyond beautiful, a truly exotic snow haired beauty. He knew most of his thoughts revolved around fantasies that she might even look at him, but if that's how it had to be then so be it.

Arias was only a few steps from the door, from the destination when he stopped thinking about all of it, and his mind found it important to focus on the task at hand. And Arias then let himself in though subtly knocking at first, he couldn't risk rejection at this point, not with his hope outdrawn as they were. The idea of sitting with all of them again just was too much to allow for any probability of failure in this situation. Soon enough he found Corben working as he often did, but he didn't approach, as he didn't mean to impose entirely. Enough of it had been done already, and so he called out to the Marshall.

"Corben."

He would get an answer. but the childish mantra that wooed him was no longer concealable as he Made his request and left it with the Marshall, a conversation that would remain between them until it was fit to say otherwise.

Time passed and with it, when hope had begun to fade even slightly, the others, and OTHERS showed up. One by one, they made themselves a place as Corben stood their in absolute silence, he seemed to be holding something but Arias left his observations to remain vague for the moment. The the Marshall spoke, and the room fell silent, his eyes moved once around everyone, but as his hand continued to toy with the object he held, his voice finally rung out, and in it, the truth of their leader confirmed. The final points of his words, or to his first sermon struck harder than any with Arias however, as the Marshall in his own way thanked Arias for helping to save the Marshalls daughter. A beautiful chess set had been crafted, something that would have obviously taken a lot of meticulous work and skill, he was beyond appreciative, but looking at everyone else, he hardly felt it to be the right to to show the full extent of his gratitude for the gift, and so he made no move; save a nod of his head in respect to Corben's words, he would say more when the time of words was less narrow as this.

One by one the Marshall made each and every point he possibly could, using the pieces to to brilliantly represent each faction that still had a hand in this ongoing game of chess they all found themselves in. The words however, were inspirational, strong, and powerful. However the greatest point to them, was not that they held so much power, but for the fact that power mostly coincided with the fact that each and every word the Marshall spoke; had been true. That was rare among politicians, and even more so in speeches used to boost morale, but Corben did not promise us happy lives, rather, the life of a scorned being, one that would suffer more than they would gain, the definition that came with wearing the mantle, of one known as Fateguard. Arias would be one of many that wore that Mantle with pride and bore the sins that leaned upon its sigil.

Others shared that very sentiment, as they rose up and each of them said their dues about the situation. The thought of weapons did stir a bit of havoc among them. but that was to be expected. When they had lost their place in the city, they all had also lost their ability to face the darkness that crept in the night. Arias still had a decent sword, but it would not be enough to sate him in battle if it came to it. The stir of everything growing ever louder was then interrupted by a knock, and to everyone's great surprise as Corben answered the door, they found the ex member Tahan, now as a Legionnaire in this great city. it certainly did not look the best, that each of them were here gathered around like some form of cult. The hulking armor however, only required teh simple blacksmith work of Corben, and so most of them became calm quickly. Corben did not, and after whiling the intruder a bit he turned to the head of the group and left his message loud and clear, to those willing to listen, then they were off.

Re-initiation~

Derek was the one that took lead of the operation, he noticed quickly that Derek was good for that at times. he was hot headed in moments but his way of thinking always included the greater good of his allies, just Like corben. Arias was different, as in each and every thing he had learned or tried, he'd found a horrible truth about dire situations, but he chose not to think about that now, this was not a game of chess, and as they followed far enough behind, he seen Derek raise his hand, and the message was made loud and clear for him. he was not the best with sneaking, but stepping into an alley and waiting for the order would prove easy enough,a nd so he did just that. Although, this was Arias, and so it was almost expected that as he wait, he would search for each and every out, all possible vantage points and had devised at least 12 possible outcomes and result plans for this very situation, that much though corrupt in lack of innocence, had not changed with young Arias, and honestly the fact that he was here, in this situation right now despite eminent danger, could not have made him happier. he would wait for his orders, at least for now, and see what happened with The Marshall and the Legionnaire.

death__s_diary_by_vihola-d37w55j.png

Once he had walked these streets and been their father. Every shadow and alley his to tend to. Once he had worn these streets like second skin and kept them cleansed.

Once he had been Marshall. But now, as Corben trailed in the shadow of the boy-knight Tahan, it was with the sense that every house and town-square had been pulled from his reach. He was being walked through the trophy-den of his successors.

"I was forbidden to attend Father Gregory's funeral." These words broke the silence as they crossed Dyer's Lane. Corben looked up at the metal plate where Tahan's face should have been. "I heard there was great tribute. People who had not known him in life shed tears on his coffin."

Whatever thoughts this stirred in Tahan were armour-tight. The late Father Gregory had raised this boy, trained and consigned him to the initiation of the Legion. But perhaps, like Corben, Tahan had no time to fall down and mourn his mentor, so relentless was his duty.

They walked on, and Corben finished his thought aloud. "I wonder sometimes, if certain men are loved or hated regardless of their deeds. There simply comes a time when history chooses them to stand or fall for something."

He dropped his boot heels hard, footsteps echoing in the curfewed streets, in time with Tahan's clanking. It was clear signal for those who followed, like the vapour billowing from their breaths. At times Corben would point a different way, take a turn and wait for the Legionnaire to follow. These compromises were silent ones, negotiated in stares and pauses. But whatever the armoured boy was thinking, he had not forgotten the simple fact that this ex-marshall knew the streets far better than he. Concession was given, and in time the pair came skirting through that corner of the city where lamps no longer burned.

North of Helm Street, past Ginley's farrier yard and squat beneath the boarded eastern windows of the grain store.... Here was the house of Malwin DeFell.

Corben shuddered at the sight of the armoured quartet, little different from the metal chess pieces he had forged, now posted like statues at the doorway. The Legionnaires made no motion at their approach and only the thinnest wisps of vapour marked their breathing. He might have watched them longer, as a man transfixed by haunted paintings, had Tahan not turned to stare at him and raise two fingers.

Was it a smile he made? A fiendish grin of bone and desolation? Corben looked between the fingers and the face of this towering monster.

And when Tahan turned to move on, Corben's hand shot out and gripped the crook of his elbow. It was like thrusting one's hand into a carcass. "Wait..."

The Legionnaire looked back. Corben swallowed and thought quickly. "Since we are here..." He fished the white queen from his satchel of tools and held it up before the boy's visor. His hand did its best not to tremble. "For Victoria... Malwin's daughter..."

Tahan was as still as the four knights across the road. The seconds stretched as Corben recalled, frantically, the more obscure tenets of the Nephilerian Church.

"It's an idol of Revesha, Angel of the Wayward. Placed upon a windowsill, it will guide a lost one home."

More silence. More stillness. The stars and shadows were pregnant with the heresy of the night.

"Please," Corben said. "A moment is all I ask. I'll place it on the windowsill and then we'll continue." His hand uncurled from the Legionnaire's arm and he clutched the white queen against his chest, before adding, "It is all I can do now for Victoria."

Reactions: Hydronine
The Legionnaire followed Corben as they wound their way through the streets. At times, the way it walked seemed to convey a bemused sort of fancy, as if it knew they were taking a twisting and winding route through the streets. At the least, it knew that they were not going exactly in the straightest path towards their destination, but it gradually consigned to following Corben. At times it would resist, and force them back on the straight path, but however taut it seemed there was always a little give, and they eventually arrived at their destination.

... but it was not the destination they had had in mind. The Legionnaire had an inkling of the scheme that was at play, but the way the fleshy armour sat on it dulled its mind. Conceptions, notions, and ideas formed in its mind, but their wispy, ephemeral forms were quickly dashed by foul portents, reasoning carried away on the winds of whispers that emanated from the skull. The scriptures inside pulsed invisibly, attempting to protect their wearer from the rotting influence.

It stood motionless.

The moon continued to walk across the sky.

It twisted its head to stare back at Corben. Did it do so with an accusatory nature? It turned back, back to Corben, and raised one arm to grasp its forehead, trembling. Thoughts ..

Would .. not .. come ..

It stabbed the sword into the space between the cobblestones, further damaging the abused blade, and used its free hand to wave at Corben, granting him permission to carry out his rite of mourning.

Gregory ..

No time to remember. No point in remembering. Only duty remained.

The pair of guards at the door stepped forward and outward, opening the way into the house.

An itch in the mind that could not be scratched. The fingers clenched harder around the skull-helmet. The bones creaked, their groaning loud in the tepid night.

rove.jpg

Malwin's home was both the same and different. Blood and powder made spiderweb symbols on the walls, and old jars were set about with a monthly sum of candle wax. The furniture had been pushed aside, the bedding burned, and two oak pillars supporting the thatch were hung with enchanted oil burners. Their red vapours erased what scent of death may have lingered here. And a layer of beech tree ashes covered the floor to veil the warding circles once drawn.

The Eldritch Guild had been busy. They had turned this place into a thoroughfare, an uncluttered staging area for their research. One could almost forget that Malwin had lost his mind in this house, watched his wife and child grow sick and felt the presence of Tamoldes infesting him.

In the centre, where carpet had been stripped away, the Rove Maw gaped. This hole that had opened beneath the Poisoner's house was now inert, as permanent as a breach of the soul. Approaching it, Corben saw that iron rungs had been drilled into the sides, with hooks for lanterns. Even at night they were lit and marked the way down, painting the tunnel like some fiery bellows. He wondered how many wizards had passed up and down the Maw since its discovery. The air echoed with the previous day's industry - with the glee of archaeologists and arcanists. This was not the gloomy throat of darkness which the FateGuard had first explored.

He heard the creak of Tahan crossing the threshold behind him. He turned, looked up at the Legionnaire, then down at the white queen he held. Corben had almost forgotten the ruse he was enacting. "Forgive me... memories..." The Marshall glanced again at the hole. "I should have told Eric to stay behind. There was no reason to follow. Perhaps he knew... that I needed him with me."

The Legionnaire seemed just as distracted. Tahan had left his cleaver buried in the cobbles and entered with just his shield. His free hand was gripping his own skull-helm, as if digging out a migraine. Corben felt an angst, a trouble he could not name. Gesturing with the white queen, he crossed to the corner of the room. "I will be quick." Piled-up furniture had hemmed in shadow the place where Victoria, Malwin's daughter, once slept. But the window was unboarded. Corben made his way toward it while keeping up his chatter.

"We are both without our mentors now, Tahan. Tell me, do you feel as I do: that the world has turned stranger? Each death among the FateGuard repaints the life around us, I find. Makes it alien. As if we are tumbling through planes of existence... layers of hell... each a little further from the last."

He peered through the window, perhaps hoping for some glance of Derek and the others following. But he saw only the departing shadows of the door guards as those Legionnaires set off on other patrol routes. At least he had only one of them to deal with now. Setting the white queen on the windowsill, his eyes drifted to the pile of furniture in the corner, hunting desperately for something to use.

Rhythmic creaks behind him carried Tahan to the edge of the Maw. The boy was looking down it as it gripped its helm. What thoughts passed there, none could know. Corben looked over to him while side-stepping to the furniture pile. "I wish you were still with us, Tahan. I resented you at first - that is no secret. But familiarity is fellowship, and that is all we have in the darkness."

The Legionnaire leaned out over the hole, perhaps remembering, perhaps wondering. Corben wasn't even sure if it heard him. The marshall's hand took hold of something as he continued. "I hope Leonardo taught you that, before the end."

There was a creak. Tahan's helm straightened. The hand came away. Something in the shift of the monster's posture spoke volumes. Corben frowned. "You... you did know it was him, yes? The man hanging from the cathedral? It was Leonardo..."

Silence preceded a shudder, and at once Tahan's both hands came up, the free one and the one that held the shield. Both went to his skull, and in doing so brought the shield up high. His peripheral vision was lost, and in this chance advantage Corben acted. He had no time to think of the despair that gripped the boy, or how conveniently it had transpired. He could not even hesitate to cross the line of heresy. This was his only moment to act.

The furniture pile subsided, and Corben was across the room before the sound could echo. The shield came down, and Tahan turned in time to see the marshall charging. He turned square, but could do no more. The chair leg brandished in Corben's hand skimmed high above the shield and struck the Legionnaire's helm. Wood met bone, and crack answered crack. The giant swayed but did not go down. Corben's heart screamed urgency. He threw himself against the boy, his torso slamming the broad shield between them. He used his weight and as one they pitched towards the edge of the Maw, crashing down at the verge, tumbling over. Corben's hands went out, scrabbling through the ashes, finding the iron rung as his legs gave way. His body jolted, he dangled on the precipice, and beneath him he heard the crash of metal on stone. Tahan plunged into darkness, knocking out lamps and scraping stone, his armoured body twisting and turning.

And then he was gone.

Corben hung there. He winced with every echo of the Legionnaire's fall. Creak and crunch were amplified. He shut his eyes. He prayed. And in the next second the sound was gone. He peered beneath his trembling arms. There was nothing but darkness below. He heard himself shiver.

Then urgency returned with a thumping heart and the pounding of blood in his ears. Whether he had killed the boy or not, he could not remain there. With a snarl he hoisted himself up and rolled back onto the periphery of the hole. A few breaths were stolen there, before fear compelled him onwards. He got up, clutching his wrist where the blow had nearly sprained it, then crossed again to the window. Adrenal made his arms shake. He found a candle, dropped it, snatched it up, hesitated, rushed to one of the lamps, lit the candle, then slammed it down on the windowsill. It had barely settled there when he turned and put his back to the wall, sliding down till he was sitting and staring at the Rove Maw.

"Forgive me..." he whispered to the shadows below, to the darkness that had swallowed Tahan. "Forgive me."

With the coast clear barely a moment passed after Corben placed the candle in the windowsill did Derek march into the house. Looking around Tahan was nowhere to be seen. The only other place he could have gone was down in to the now lifeless hole in the ground. Looking up at Corben it wasn't hard to see that his mentor was visibly shaken, whispering something to himself. Derek felt a tinge of uneasiness couldn't grasp how hard it could be for Corben. How could he though? Over the last several weeks he'd lost his faith in Gothenheim's system. After his parents died he had trained for years to join the FateGuard as a warrior only to find once he joined the FateGuard proper that the three pillars of Gothenheim had a stranglehold on most of the proceedings. Being FateGuard was just as much playing politician as it was a warrior and protector. That was no longer the case. For Derek this meant he could stop trying to be something he was not. Corben on the other hand had been doing this much longer than Derek and was likely more used to being a part of the system. A system he now had to fight against.

"Corben," Derek removed his helmet and waited for Corben to look up so that he might look his mentor in the eyes, "I'm sure he lived. I doubt the Bishop would make his precious soldiers so vulnerable to a fall....However on that note, and perhaps I speak out of line, but worry and doubts will not chnge the reality of our situation. You did what you had to do and in your position I would not have hesitated to do the same thing. This is not the first or last time we will have to do things that some of us might find unpleasant. You may think what we've done here tonight heresy, but I disagree. The true heresy lies with Waldstein. No holy man would put boys as young as Tahan in harm's way using such questionable means. Do not torment yourself over the moral standpoint of our case. Rather believe in me and that I believe in your cause. Believe in the others for they would not follow you tonight if they did not believe in this cause either," Derek walked towards the hole in the ground and looked down. Though some lamps were knocked free some were untouched or hung loosely on the wall. He turned back to Corben one last time.

"I do not wish for you to become a man who loses his path. Remember that Arkham Stillwater wanted to know more of magic and in his search he lost his path. He ventured beyond the wall, found the monolith beyond all odds, and became Arcanium," Derek paused for a moment thinking about how he phrased what he intended to be an encouragement, "I apologize, that came out wrong. So let me put it simply: Corben, I believe in you, even if you doubt yourself or your actions. I believe we're doing the right thing. We are still FateGuard and we are still fighting for Gothenheim. I believe that once we attain the relics we seek and take the fight back to the Wounded Hand we'll find our path..."

And with that said Derek put his helmet back on and began to slowly descend into the hole. He would see to it that the path was clear below and if Tahan was still somehow still conscious he'd see to it that he wouldn't be when the others arrived below.

Arias watched the picture play before his eyes by the safety of the shadows. it wasn't his favorite way to handle things, in some ways he wished that he could have been right there to help Corben as well, but he pushed that thought aside long enough to stay on task for the current mission. Things had not escalated yet, but he could see it happening soon, they would have to intervene, it was just the luck of his fellow men, they had had a hell of a run recently every night a current event made of a reminder that they lived an eternal hell every night when the sun went down. There were some of them that, the hell had extended to even when the sun sat high above however. He couldn't claim to be such, like the beautiful Alyss, or the mysterious Malwin, but he had his own sins to sort, even if he'd snapped out just soon enough to save them, he still had let things get too far, he had found himself bewitched, and that was his own guilt to bare.

It didn't much matter at that point however, and he had to stay on focus even in the Roar of his own thoughts, silence was keen. A few words passed between Monster and Marshal and a few more to follow. The Monster seemed strong at first, and the Marshal seemed ever in the deepest of sorrow, but the facade was well acted indeed for Corben, enough so that the idea it was a facade almost seemed asinine. Arias waited fopr that moment, watched carefully plotting each street, the direct positioning between them and the other guards, his heaviest plan depended upon Malwin, and his ability to make specialized poisons, but that was the long shot if it came down to it, and required quite a bit of team work to succeed. Then it happened, a deep groan as the Monster clutched at his face, and as he did the opportune moment set in, Corben seized it just as fast as soon enough he struggled against the creature. Arias ached to move from his spot but his better thought told him it was still okay, that he could sit easy for at least a little while longer until he knew he had to intervene.

The two vanished inside the building and though, Arias with every ounce of being wanted to plunge in their and help him, he waited nervously watching. Not long after though, the flicker of a single candle lit the air and that was all that he needed to know that things had proceeded as planned. His body untensed and relaxed, then he sprung forward, pretty quickly behind Derek who moved almost on Queue. he arrived in time to catch the tail end of the conversation between Derek and Corben, but he wouldn't question, the others would arrive soon, and ironically although it was a different painting it was so familiar it was almost silly. How ironic, that he would be beginning his journey with the Fateguard both times in this damned Maw, in this house, it was laughable almost, but it also seemed like a tribute to fate, a true second chance, and this time... he would do better. There would be no mistakes, no blood on his hands this timne, he would do better for all of them, prove himself to all of them. So it was waiting for the others to arrive and for Corben to lead aside from Derek, he looked into the darkness without looking to their leader he asked in a cold stationary voice;

" your orders Leader."