Fate Zero

R

Razilin

Original poster
Excuse me if someone recently covered this. I need to let out my nerd gasm and I've been out of the loop as far as anime goes.

Two weeks ago, I saw all the episodes of Fate Zero season 2. It had been out for a while and I just never found the free time to sit down and watch it. I was in the middle of studying for medical license exams, but I figured I'd take a 30 minute break and watch the first episode of Season 2. Then I watched episode 2 because episode 1 was just that good. And I just kept finding excuses to keep watching.

Let me be frank and rant for a bit.

HOLY SHIT, THIS SHOW WAS FUCKING AMAZING.

YOU GOT KING ARTHUR, DIARMUD, AND ALEXANDER THE GREAT FIGHTING CTHULU BELOW.

THE FATHER OF THE MAN WHO MADE "GAR" A MEME IS SNIPING PEOPLE TO THE SIDE.

ABOVE, GILGAMESH FROM THE EPIC OF GILGAMESH IS FUCKING DOG-FIGHTING LANCELOT ON AN F-15. AND LANCELOT DOES AN IMMELMAN TURN--WHICH YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN DO IN A JET WITH THRUST VECTORING, BUT BERSERKER-LANCELOT IS JUST A BOSS LIKE THAT, AND DULY IGNORES MINOR THINGS LIKE PHYSICS.

AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN

YUKI KAJIURA'S RENDITION OF "SWORD OF PROMISED VICTORY" STARTS PLAYING! I WAS WAITING A WHOLE SEASON FOR THIS PART! SEASON ONE'S ONLY FLAW WAS NO LASER SWORD/WAVE MOTION GUN!

AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN

EKSU-KARIBAAA!

And the rest of the season was similarly all sorts of boss.

Really, a show based in the Nasuverse, a darker version of Fate Stay Night's Holy Grail War showcasing just how gory the tournament can really be, with a plot adapted from Nasu's novel by Gen Urobuchi, with excellent animation by the guys who did Kara no Kyoukai, WITH MUSIC BY YUKI KAJIURA.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Most Badass Anime Ever. Fate Zero is to anime what Dark Knight Rises is to superhero movies.

(I love how Irisviel is all like, "Yes, and its name is..." Because we Fate fans already totally know it and were WAITING FOR THIS.)

(I originally thought Saber was the most badass Servant. Then I thought Archer was the most badass with his Reality Marble. Then I met Kiritsugu and realized that the senior Emiya makes his son look like a total pussy. Then Berserker started flying F15s. I now have a new god.)

Archer. <3

I've recently started this anime. It seems promising and much more exciting than FSN. Seeing that there are more fans of it, I'm even more interested now. I'll have to watch some more episodes so I can nerd properly.

FSN: Saber was a boss. Then Archer's UBW made her look like a little girl. Thus, Archer was GAR.

Fate Zero: Saber is a STILL a boss. Then Kiritsugu goes around blowing up buildings, taking names, and taking out Masters like Liam Neeson takes out Albanian slave traders a la Taken, and gets to liplock his sexy sidekick while being married to the elegant Irisviel--and thus, Emiya Kiritsugu (who is made of 40% hardcore, 40% giant brass balls, and 40% awesome because he's too badass to be made of only 100 of anything) proves to us that Archer is just a pansy in comparison.

And then Gilgamesh starts Gate of Babyloning everyone with swords in season 1. And then Berserker starts CATCHING them and USING THEM AGAINST GILGAMESH. And THEN he takes over a jet in season 2 and blows chaff in Gilgamesh's face. AND THEN near the end of the season he goes Terminator on Saber's cute ass with machine guns.

And thus, Berserker-Zero proves he's the most GAR of the Nasuverse. Tsukihime fans will now begin trolling. Berserker-Zero roars back.

Berserker Zero > Kiritsugu > GARcher > Saber

I was impressed with Fate Zero for somehow making King Fucking Arthur into the 4th most badass character in the cast. The one who can blow up a fortress with her sword Nanoha style is in 4th place. Let that sink in.

Lol. And Zero Berserker is my favorite character in the whole Nasuverse, besides the Siegfried in some cancelled game. XD

Zero was my introduction to the Nasuverse as a whole. Fate is a strange franchise. Seems like the worst content is always the stuff that comes straight from the source itself, since Zero and Strange Fake blow Stay Night out of the water.

I just appreciated that it felt like an actual war. That every Master and Servant had a tangible chance of winning on their own merits. Tokiomi is an elite as far as magecraft is concerned. Waver is a prodigy. Kayneth is a respected lecturer with strong family ties. Kotomine is an Executor of the Church. Kariya has the crest worms. Kiritsugu makes up for what he lacks in magecraft - comparatively - with combat smarts. Ryuunosuke isn't really a mage but who cares Cthulhu.

You have all these elite Masters, all at odds with each other - and then they establish from the very start how much of a cut above the Servants are.

Compare and contrast that to Stay Night where every Master has some excuse, or crutch, or reason for being basically inept at it - and still manage to go toe-to-toe with Servants and win. Not so much for Heaven's Feel, which is removed enough from the other two routes to practically be its own canon. It just wasn't interesting to me. To go from this seven way war where everyone has their own plans, tactics and individual battles going on, and then switch to Rin blowing two command seals in 24 hours and Archer getting beaten by Saber in a fight that might as well not have been animated for how brief it was.

Kind of sucked a bit.

Anyone who likes Zero should watch the Kara no Kyoukai movies. It's amazing to see what Ufotable can do with an actual budget, and there's a reason Ryuogi's considered Nasu's best written character.