Fall Of Ortul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once the last shepard fell, Violet jumped down from the tree, landing lightly on her feet. She approached the group only a few steps, but stayed still a few paces away. She was an archer, it was her habit to scout from a distance, and that said, it was true that she was scanning the horizon and making sure they were clear before she actually walked over to the group.

On his human hands and knees his pants loosely fit to his body almost about to slip off he held his side and then grabbed at the arrow in his shoulder, he snapped it and let it fall to the ground as his body did so. " grrrhahgg " He mumbled as his face dug into the floor as the arrow head wiggled in his shoulder a bit, When you are in lycan form you dont feel much but when you return to human it was like it had just happened in one moment. He let a shout of pain go as he tried to get up but kept laying on the floor. A smirk on his face he wasn't healing as fast as he would like to but that archer had a crack shot and that surprise attack was definitely not going unnoticed. " Fucking Humans "

Violet walked over to Skoll and the others. "Everyone okay?" She asked, watching Skoll out of the corner of her eye. She let her bow hang loosely by her side as she looked over the others, her gaze landing on the prisoner.

"I am Sir Edward Blackwood, Grand Champion of the Blades of the Council of Bratiir! Or rather, I used to be..." He started, a rather forlorn tone coming into his voice, as he ripped off the remainder of his rags. Underneath it, he wore a breastplate of steel, with a golden hydra on the front, protecting his ribs. There was still parts of gauntlets stuck to his arms, though they were rusty and dented, matching the remainder of his greaves. His skull was left unprotected, leaving his emotionless face uncovered. Though after my many, many years of death, my order, the council, and the entire empire has disappeared... So now I am but a knight without a order, without a lord and without anything but my broken sword..." He said sadly, lifting his broken sword up in front of him.

Pyral watched the scene from his perch, impressed by the stoic nature of Collem. He watched warily as the Lycan struggled from the pain. If only there was a way they could help, but alas, this was likely a battle that Skoll would deal with alone, as he likely had many times before. Violet saunters over asking about the condition of her comrades. Pyral grunts, "I'm alright" He cast his gaze to the wolf again, his thoughts wander 'can't say the same for everyone'.

Just then the prisoner speaks, who turns out to be a skeleton with a warrior's past and a somber ending.

Dead was intrigued by the skeleton's story. So it was not only he that was out of place in this world in the form that he now bears. He stepped forward. "I was but a wanderer, without order and without memory, I was nothing but dead" his gaunt gaze stared back at the armor clad skeleton "I am still lost in mind, I don't remember who I once was, and I find it intriguing that you do. However, I have found some form of purpose in our journey as if the mission itself is my life." His face wears the permanent grin, that usually means naught, but at this moment he couldn't help but to grin with purpose. "I think you'll find order and once again be a true knight under a lord, as I have found some form of life after my years of wandering as an undead"

The skeleton stared silently at the other undead, before responding "I think this rebellion will give you, and all of us who have joined, a fulfillment that we need."

Pyral fluffed up his feathers, quite an eloquent speech for one who had been quiet and seemingly emotionless.

Collem listened to Dead speak before turning back to Edward. About as eloquent and emotional as he had seen the bones get. Interesting. He reached over, snagged a piece of Ed's discarded rags, and began to clean his blade while Ed contemplated their offers to join them. Been awhile since Collem had been in a real battle. Couldn't say he wasn't the least bit rusty... or scared. He took a deep breath, relieved that the fight was over, and squatted by Pyral's perch as he cleaned his blade. He spoke quietly to the bird, so the others might not hear him, "Hey, back there, that man on horse would've had me dead if he you hadn't intervened. So... thank you."

"You may be right, my fellow undead..." Edward answered. "I have no other reason to fight anymore, so I might as well fight for the ones who freed me. Hopefully, I can once more earn my title rightfully. If not the full title, then at least then my knighthood!" He announced loudly!

"So, may I know your names, friends? Especially you, my purpose filled friend! I have a feeling we two might get along well, with our matching condition!"

Pyral feathers had flickering tendrils of fire as he watched the conversation take place. When Collem came over to thank him, he bowed his head "It was no problem Collem, I should thank you for your lead into battle. It was a great battle indeed".

Dead clacked his jaw "I am Dead. Just Dead. I have no other name I remember myself by. Unfortunately" he saw rather dryly. Pyral perked up as the skeleton asked for their names, he raised a wing "Ah yes, I am Pyral. Pleased to have a warrior such as yourself on our team"

Violet listened to Dead's speech and was slightly surprised he was so..ardent, in his speech. She didn't reply to Edward's question about names, instead letting the others tell their names first.

He stood up with a grunt and spat some blood on the ground with a smile holding his side " I'm Skoll world famous Rising Moon Clan leader " He removed his hand and held onto his now loose fitting pants, He looked to his side and stared at violet who seemed to be quiet.

With the battle over and the travelers one stronger, they set off through the rest of the valley.
The sun shone with a luminescent brilliance and the short grass tussled in the pleasant breeze. The
smell of bloodshed and pictures of violence could hardly be imagined here, but their actions weighed
on the land in ways they could not yet predict. Violet held to the rear of the group while Collem,
Skoll and the two skeletons led the way through the rolling hills. The group informed Edward of
their plan and the celestial envoy as they went, only stopping once or twice to survey the area
ahead, it was approaching dusk as the Mist Strewn Forest came into view, it was the quickest way
past the Torched Mountains. The Mist Strewn Forest lay in between two of the lowest peaks of the
mountains, it was a vast forest and its trees were the largest in the entire continent, the fertile
ground mixed with the warm ash had accelerated their growth, some now towered above the forest and were visible for miles. The trees were dark wood and evergreen, very little light made its way into
the forest nestled below the skyline of the mountainscape, deep in the shadow of the adjacent peaks.
This lack of sunlight made the forest ice cold which combined with the hot ash formed the dense mist
the forest had come to be identified by. Inside the forest no sky could be seen, truth be told you
could barely see more than a few steps in each direction and to make matters worse the forest was
not empty.

Far from where the group now stood, in the great halls of Ortul, a young gryphon returns to the desk
of his master, High Councillor Rowan 'Bane of the Damned'. As the gryphon lands, he his thrown a
piece of tough red meat which he greedily devours whilst his master unties the message from his
talons. He reads it aloud, his office empty apart from Rowan himself and his pet.
"For the eyes of High Councillor Rowan, The prisoner did not arrive today as planned and upon
inspection, we have found the Shepards dead just beyond our outer most sentry. Their cargo is
missing." He spoke each word with the emphasis it deserved, but that last sentence was given enough
recognition that the young gryphon had lifted its head from its meal. "Their cargo is missing" he
repeated before continuing, "We have sent out search parties in each direction and it would appear
that the ambushers head now towards the Mist Strewn Forest, as you have commanded we will leave the punishment of the undead to you. Sincerely Lord Johren."
"Well this is troubling, isn't it?" Rowan asked the small creature, "Up" he commanded this with
little authority but it did not matter he had raised the gryphon from a chick, he softly stroked
itself beak as he took out some parchment and began writing. 'A group has ambushed some shepards
outside Johren and released its plagued prisoner, sent your best.', with that he placed his quill
down and beckoned the gryphone closer, "Take this to the Fog Drifter". Its head bowed and it shot
into the air and out of the open window, from the outside those in the slums below could see Rowan's
harbinger leaving the spire, a feeling of dread filled all those that saw it, because where it went
death followed.

The group made it to the edge of the forest as the sun began to set beyond the furthest hill, nobody
would dare traverse the Mist Strewn Forest at night, so camp was made, no hunting was done that eve nor did anyone stray from the central fire, they were all in awe of the eerie woods that stood
before them. As night fell, the mist came in thick and fast, the fire was extinguished and group
fell to panic, in the scramble they split into three pairs and wandered blind into the trees and then fell to a deep and forceful sleep. As first light broke each group stirred and looked around only to see one of their companions.

In your following posts I would like you to describe your trip through the forest with your partner. Remember you cannot contact the other groups and finding the other groups will be IMPOSSIBLE. The forest is filled with many dangerous creatures including corrupted Treants, poisonous toxin producing plantlife as well as chimeras, giant spiders and mist worms(chimeras may require a google and mist worms are large carnivorous worms that will consume you if you stay in the deeper mists too long, avoid at all costs, interaction will be fatal). The pairs are as follows: Collem and Violet, Pyral and Skoll, Dead and Edward. After you make it far enough through the forest I will post again with instructions on how to reunite, good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0182 (3).jpg
    IMG_0182 (3).jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: SilverJae
Pyral's eye shot open, he got up to stand on his talons, shaking his feathers of the moisture that clung to them, his fire was dull, just a few glowing embers. He turned his head this way and that, but the mist was thick and even with his sharp eyesight was able to see only a few feet ahead of him. He screeched "Hello, is anyone here?". Pyral's feathers stayed fluffed, it appeared he was not only alone but weakened. His fire would be less potent in the misty air and his eyesight less sharp, he'll have to rely on his hearing and his talons to lead the way.

Dead felt as he slowly drifted out of unconsciousness. The skeleton sat up, looking around confusedly. He actually slept, Dead had never fell asleep since he was alive. On top of that, he dreamed. Dead saw flashes of memory, and for a moment remembered his name. But with his awakening it had slipped away and receded back into the dark crypt of the unknown. Despite that, Dead knew there was only one reason he would have slept. Something about this forest had forced him to, otherwise it would be impossible. He adjusted the damp rags around his bones and stood up, drawing out the sword it's sheath.

Then there was another issue, Dead wondered if he was completely alone.

Reactions: TiedInBone
Violet noticed the mist had begun to thicken, but she didn't do anything until the fire went out. She backed away from it and ended up backing into a tree, which caused her to jump, but she covered her mouth to silence herself. She stood, grabbing her bow and notching an arrow in place, scanning around her dangerously as she put her back against the tree, trying to see past her. "H-hey.." she said quietly, hoping the others could hear. I swear if I'm lost.. She thought to herself.

Reactions: TiedInBone
Edward awoke, feeling what he was lying on forming a bit to his form. It was almost as if he was in his old bed...
He shot up, looking around, and at himself, hoping that it had all been a dream! But no. His body was still but bones, and his surroundings were not his old bedchambers. Indeed, it was in a misty forest of some kind, from what little he could see. He got up, attempting to be quiet, which was hard as bones and armor clacked together.
For a moment, he wondered why he had slept now, yet for all the years in the collapsed cave, he had been awake for every damnable minute of it!
Yet before he could finish that train of thought, he saw something moving in the mist. He pulled his sword free, and held it ready as he stepped towards whatever it was, preparing for the worst.
Yet to his surprise, it was his friend, Dead!

"It seems I was not the only one to feel the confusing sensation of sleep."

Skoll sat up slowly some burn marks on his arms but that was only small burns he was in his lycan form and his nose was fucked up by the fire smoke, He then got up to a bipedal form and lurched back letting a fearsome roar escape his jaw. It echoed through the forest but he didn't think anyone would hear it, He looked around as his body came back to normal size and he tied the usual rope around his waist so that his pants stayed on. He smirked and began walking into the forest and then a screech came into his ear. It was Pyral just my luck, He rushed out from his downed spot and looked around noticing pyral walking around aimlessly " Pyral! " He said as he hobbled over.

Dead nodded, his bones clacking with the motion "Indeed" he said simply, pulling a hood over his skull to keep the misty air off of him. "He took a few steps into the mist, his boots sloshing in the ground "It appears we've lost everyone else" he looks around but sees no one else "We must stick together" his empty eye sockets turn toward Edward, "Any ideas on where to go?" Dead had a feeling that he imagined would be dread if he could feel, wandering was not something he wanted to go back to.

Meanwhile, Pyral jumped at the sound of someone else breaking through the mist and shouting his name, the voice of Skoll. He opened his dark wings and flew over to the clouded form, who upon closer examination was definitely Skoll. "Ah yes, finally! I was worried we'd been completely separated." He flapped in the air facing Skoll at eye level. "We're going to have to find them." His eyes focused on those of the lycans "I have a feeling there is great danger in this forest. Be ready to shift" He didn't think that would be a problem for him "I'm afraid I'll be of slightly less help than usual, but I'll do the best I can" he said apologetically. He swooped away from Skoll, flying slowly and dodging trees, he noticed some plants that seemed unusual. Before he went too far he flew back to his partner "Might want to be careful where you step"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Collem woke up in the thick mist. He stood up and took in his surroundings. Or at least he tried to. The mist was so think, and the forest so dark, he could hardly see anything. He noticed the fire dieing immediately in front of him. He got the impression that wherever he was now wasn't where he had been resting previously. He vaguely recalled the fog encroaching on the party, and a panic as they scattered in different directions. Or had that been a dream? Some foul magic was at work here, Collem surmised.

"H-hey.."

Violet's voice, quiet, nearby. What a relief Collem wasn't by himself.

"Hey, over here," he called to his companion. They followed their voices to the other, practically knocking each other over as they collided in the fog.

"Ah, there's one. Anybody else?!" Collem called, loudly, and stood perfectly still. No response. Not good. Pyral had told them of this forest. All manner of horrible creatures resided here, and if they stayed put for too long he suspected they would be made a meal of by one of them.

"Reckon it's just the two of us, then. According to the bird, the deeper we get into the forest, the thicker the fog'll get. So we go deeper, use the fog as a guide. The best way out is always through, huh? What do ya say?" Collem looked at his companion, trying not to betray the fear he felt inside.

• Love
Violet sighed. "I-I guess so." She held her bow tightly. "Sound like s-sound logic, so sure." She looked around, slightly disturbed by all the fog. "Where did the others go?" She asked quietly.

"Couldn't say, reckon we'll run into them, or find 'em once we're out of this damned forest. They're all tough sorts, they'll be alright."

Collem hoped he sounded more confident than he felt. Might be their new friends were dead or going to die. Might very well be him and Violet were headed that way as well. But damned if he wasn't going to try his hardest to avoid that fate. Violet was a little more transparent with her feelings. Collem couldn't say he was real comfortable around people's feelings, but he supposed there was all the more reason to keep his own act together, for her sake. As they ventured deeper into the fog, Collem took a stab at distracting them both from their current situation. He spoke quietly, so as not to arouse the attention of any nearby beasts.

"So, what's yer story anyway? Odd to see a lass as young as yourself in this line of work is all."

• Love
"I just wanted to help people." she responded quietly, her voice not so shaky, but now it sounded choked, slightly. "I couldn't do much, but this might help a lot more." She spun around at the sound of something, but she couldn't see anything. She started backing up slowly, still following Collem, but watching backwards. "How are you so calm?"

Status
Not open for further replies.