Expanding your Vocabulary

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
A

Aleina

Original poster
Ever have trouble finding replacements for the repetitive words you use in your writing? I'm sure everyone does. I know I do, and its frustrating.

I work at an elementary school and serve as a special ed assistant. The other day, the class went to the computer lab to practice typing and I watched as the students played typing games on a website called funtotype.com. I love to type and the games looked very appealing, so when I got home I tried it out for myself. Among these games is a game called Clockwords and the moment I started playing, I was addicted.

The thing that's cool about this game is that you have to come up with words based on the letters it gives you. You don't necessarily have to use all the letters it gives you but the more you use, the more points you get. It's fast-paced, so you have to be a quick typer, and since this game is technically a typing game, it's sure to improve your typing speed.

The reason I wanted to share this game with you is that because the game is so fast-paced, you're sort of forced to fling at the board the first words that come to mind, and the words I was choosing were words that I very rarely use in my writing. But I knew they were words, so even though I didn't know the meaning to some of them, I still typed them in for points. Here's a quick list of words that I had come up with:

coyness, euphemism, moderate, motivation, audacity, simplicity, salvation, nuance, ludicrous, asunder, symbolism, hone, venture, rigid, composure, dominate

I was shocked by the words that I was coming up with and so I decided to write them down for later use. I thought you guys would like to give it a shot, and if you guys do, write down the words you come up with. You don't have to write all the words down, just write the ones you use rarely in your writing.

Here's another challenge I encourage you guys to try: For each word you write down, write what you think the definition is without using a dictionary and then compare those to the actual definitions. Those words that you already know the meaning of are obviously going to be easy. Write down words that you rarely use, regardless of whether you know the definition or not, because this is what will hopefully help your vocabulary grow.

While you're at it, share your word lists below so we can see!! But most of all have fun!!

Here's the link for the game:

http://www.funtotype.com/game/clockwords-1/

MD=my definition
TD=true definition

Sucre
MD: Sugar in a foreign language, possibly French
TD: "Sugar" in French, but also "the basic monetary unit of Ecuador until 2000, equal to 100 centavos"

Dais
MD: A piece of furniture, perhaps a table
TD: "A low platform for a lectern, seats of honor, or a throne"

Cairn
MD: A cavern
TD: "A mound of rough stones built as a memorial or landmark, typically on a hilltop or skyline", but also "a small terrier of a breed with short legs, a longish body, and a shaggy coat"

Adulterated
MD: Stifled in some way
TD: "Rendered (something) poorer in quality by adding another substance, typically an inferior one"

Laird
MD: Either a musician or a musical instrument
TD: A Scottish word for "a person who owns a large estate"

TDs come from the New Oxford American Dictionary.

Reactions: Aleina