Dreams made into RPs

R

Ray

Original poster
I really love this concept! Was there ever a visual dream you've had where it was just so magnificent that you had to write down all the details of what you saw in your dream and create a roleplay out of it? I've had this happen a few times to me- I must say that I love it when this happens and I'm currently working on creating a roleplay out of one I JUST woke up from! :D

I really love this concept! Was there ever a visual dream you've had where it was just so magnificent that you had to write down all the details of what you saw in your dream and create a roleplay out of it? I've had this happen a few times to me- I must say that I love it when this happens and I'm currently working on creating a roleplay out of one I JUST woke up from! :D
This could take a cool horror turn in the way that people would be trapped in a conjoined nightmare and have to escape to reality sort of thing. :D

This could take a cool horror turn in the way that people would be trapped in a conjoined nightmare and have to escape to reality sort of thing. :D
If you've ever had nightmares, yes. That could happen! (:

Well, just as a general plot it'd be fascinating to try. :)

I understand. However, I don't want to derail the purpose of this thread but if you've ever had a nightmare, you could use that for an idea if you wanted. I'd never use a nightmare I've had because- well, nightmares aren't really something I'd think about making into a roleplay because the initial thought of doing so would freak me out.

I once had a dream about a haunted mansion (kind of generic but bear with me) with monsters etcetera.
Then I found out, in the dream, that it was a link to a parallel universe that was a mirror of ours. While I haven't used it directly, the concept gave me several other ideas, such as Divided (Two worlds that need to be identical to keep terrible things from happening and a rogue dimensional traveler is separating them), and The Pale (a fantasy world and a modern world are on either side of the other's sky, but there's a dimension "between the worlds" called The Pale that most of the RP takes place in). I've never done much with these two ideas, but I might toss them around here sometime, if anyone turned out to be interested.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
My role plays are based on my dreams with a fair bit of consistency. Usually characters or settings which I then translate into stories via tropes and literary devices before converting into a role play.

ex: Dream of a princess -> Create, use tropes to make it comprehensible -> Edit it -> Place into a setting which I dreamed of and made comprehensible -> Edit it -> Tie together via plot -> Edit it -> Convert to make it player-friendly as a narrative -> Edit it -> Release.

If at any stage of the editing processes it turns out the idea doesn't meet my set of standards, it gets gutted and tossed aside. This happens to... 80% or so of my ideas I'd say? So many ideas with so many hours spent, shot dead by post-review... :(

If at any stage of the editing processes it turns out the idea doesn't meet my set of standards, it gets gutted and tossed aside. This happens to... 80% or so of my ideas I'd say? So many ideas with so many hours spent, shot dead by post-review... :(

Awww, you poor thing! *huggles* Don't worry about that Brovo! You can always come back to it later or make it into a story or something, right?

Awww, you poor thing! *huggles* Don't worry about that Brovo! You can always come back to it later or make it into a story or something, right?
Right. If you really love an idea, keep working on it until it works. Legend of Renalta took like, 6-7 iterations before it finally stuck... Then it stuck for four years and spawned a sequel.

So, if you love an idea, roll with it.

Just don't be afraid to change it or even toss it out for a little while until you think of a new spin with it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person