Do you Dream Dreams?

AHAHA. Silly brain picking up on silly things. Though oddly enough I also just woke up from a dream where one of my best friends in high school who I am no longer close to came to visit and was being passive aggressive about our friendship until I finally told him we had to talk, but before I could get past the "you're being passive aggressive" part, he got mad and took a swing at me, which is not really like him irl. Then I woke up, but that was pretty sad, because irl, his passive aggressive behavior is what made me avoid him at the start of college.

I've had dreams even more vivid than real life... so intense and detailed, they've made "real life" feel like a dream. Funny thing is, most of these dreams have been pure fantasy....

The one I remember most (from many years ago) involved an Empire, protected by a magic Hedge that kept all enemies out... and I vaguely remember being a refugee... being very young, and carried in my mother's arms... fleeing one of these nations Beyond the Hedge, with both of my parents. We were let through a guarded Hedge Gate... my mother and father having asked for, and received, asylum... but we were not welcomed by the people of this Empire... because we were not human. Rejected... having given all they had to my survival... my parents, a few years later, died (I can't remember how)... and like Alladin, I became a "street rat"... somewhat appropriate for a beastial creature, though I possessed the physical attributes of mammal, reptile and bird... looked nothing like a rat. I remember growing up... I had still been very young when my parents died... but time passed, and I remember going through puberty... surviving by my wits, and with the help of those few who showed me kindness. I spent a great deal of time living in the wilderness, teaching myself woodcraft... learning what was good to eat, how to make shelter, how to patch my clothing... maintaining my health and wellbeing, despite circumstances (healthy as the proverbial horse, strong as the proverbial ox)... and retaining the courtesy and fairness my parents had taught me, before they died....

I was very smart... very resourceful... and, through the years, I traveled around the Empire... visited... and was kicked out of... every village and town... knew how to reach anyplace in the Empire from any other place... knew the Hedge well, having traveled the roads running next to it... all the way around. I learned to recognize faces and names... and I remember this one man (this dream is from so long ago, I can no longer remember the man's name), a leader in one of the biggest towns... and I remember returning to this town, after spending two years circling the Empire, again... the last time, I had met a family, living in a rural area outside of this town, who had sheltered me... during a thunderstorm, I believe... but I had to pass through the town in order to reach their farm, given the direction I'd come from... and I met this same man, and I believe around four or five others... who stepped in my way, and made it quite clear... while glaring at me... that I was not welcomed again, and that I should turn and leave the way I had come... I made no mention of my desire to visit my friends, since I did not wish them to get into trouble for having sheltered me two years ago... and so, I turned to leave, planning to skirt the town, even though that meant a longer trip... but a man on horseback had just ridden up, and heard the last of the "conversation"... I believe he asked me my name, and I gave it... and realized, as the lead man and his cronies did... looking at the horse, and the man astride it... who this was. The man on horseback was the Emperor's Heir.

I seem to remember the Emperor's Heir (again, time has removed his name from my memory) briefly chiding the men for their mistreatment of me... but he focused his attention my way, and asked several concise, intent questions... which I answered honestly, truthfully... and with fairness and forgiveness. And... to mine and the townsmen's amazement, the Heir reached down, offering both a ride, and a position at the palace... to me, a lonely young nonhuman street rat and wanderer. I was so dumbstruck, the only answer I could give was to take the offered hand, careful not to do injury with my claws... and allow myself to be pulled up, and set on horseback behind him....

I don't remember much of that horseback ride, but I remember the palace... the time I spent learning there... how quickly I was accepted, not just because the Emperor's son was liked and highly respected... but because I proved myself worthy of this man's trust... and of his judgement of my worth. And then... the day came... when the Heir became Emperor, years later (I believe it was around ten years since I had been pulled from the streets)... I was no longer a teenager, but a mature adult, familiar with court life and proceedure... and when the Heir became Emperor, I became his Right Hand... his most trusted advisor.

One of my responsibilities, as the Emperor's Right Hand, was to arbitrate disputes that could not be settled, by local magistrates, in the towns and villages of the Empire. And I remember being informed of a dispute... in that same town I had been in, on that fateful day. So, I returned... no longer the teenaged street rat, dressed in patched-together rags, but a member of the court... dressed in the robes of my office. Turns out the dispute involved the same town leader who had tried, with his cronies, to throw me out... all those years ago. Only this time, fear replaced the look of hate on his face... as the Emperor's Right Hand, I had the power to speak Law... the authority to make this man pay for how he had treated me. I knew it... he knew it. But I felt no desire for revenge... I lived by the ethics my parents had taught me... a code that had served me my entire life in this land. And I would not break the Emperor's trust by abusing my authority in such a base manner. Instead, I listened to all sides of the dispute... and by listening, and watching the others as they spoke, coupled with my sharp mind and observations... I made a judgement that was fair to all. And I remember the look of surprise, relief... and... a note of respect... pass across the town leader's face, as I graciously bowed... and made leave of the town, to return to the palace... though I do believe I made a short stop at the farm of that family who had helped me... and gave them my thanks in person.

Then, more time passed... I became well known, and respected for my fairness. I remember the day I received a report of a breach in the Hedge... I believe, on our southern border. And so, I arrived at the place, and met with the man who had discovered the breach. He showed me the breach... I examined it, very concerned... never in the history of the Empire had the Hedge ever been penetrated by hostile forces... but, in this one spot, the Hedge's perfection had clearly been disturbed. I hurried back to the palace, with confirmation of the report... and the knowledge we were headed for war with an enemy powerfull enough to Breach the Hedge.

Further confirmation came not very many days later, when I woke in the night... to find a cloaked assassin, standing in the dark... off the end of my bed. But I was neither weak, nor afraid... only startled, and glad my nonhuman senses had woken me in time. The assassin pulled a blade, but I was first to attack... though I had no weapons, other than what nature had given me... and realized I wasn't wearing anything more than what nature had given me! But, my moment of embarrasment was very brief... I struggled with the assassin... took control of the blade... broke it... and the assassin ran. In the dark, and wrapped in that loose black cloak, I was never able to identify the nature of my attacker... who... or what... they were... but I now knew what had breached the Hedge... and why. I threw on a robe, one that had been draped over the footboard the night before... concerned, as I left my chambers... that I had not been the first one visited. I shouted for the guards... found the Emperor alive and well... but a search turned up nothing. The assassin was gone....

But, I remember going over my struggle with the assassin, in a meeting a short time later... and realized that I had been the main target... and that the assassin had most likely been instructed to flee if unable to complete its mission... so that its true nature could not be found by examination of its body. I know, if the assassin hadn't fled so rapidly, I would have killed it... knife or no, I had turned out to be the better and stronger fighter. So... all we had was the knife, snapped in two by my own hands. And so... from this incident, we prepared for war....

More time passed... several weeks of gathering and preparing a great army... I remember the Emperor, astride his horse... examining the troops... remembered the respect and loyalty of those men... knew them all (having been responsible for gathering and organizing them), and that not all of them would be coming back... but that they would die willingly for their Emperor... and I remember being worried, because the Emperor... my friend... the man who had raised me up off the streets... because he was leading this army... I feared for his safety. But... he would do no less than put himself at risk, rather than hide... rather than let others take a risk he was unwilling to take (he was NOT unwilling!)... to give his own life for his people, as the men under his command would give of their own, in return... if that was what it took.

And then... the Emperor, armored for battle, rode up to me... I wish I could still remember what he said, but I know it made me feel humble... and then... then he presented me with the badge of his Position... the Amulet worn around his neck... Symbol of the Empire... I was overwhelmed by the honor of what I had been given... gave thanks, and swore my oath of trust... and wished him victory, and a swift return....

I placed the Amulet's chain around my neck, and watched as my Emperor led his army off to war... unsure of what the future held, but praying for his safe return....

Then, the dream faded... and I woke up....

Amazing some people get dreams that intense.

Meanwhile, I'm just over here like "I think there was a horse. Somewhere."

More importantly, glad to see this thread become a proper dream catalog journal!

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
I've got more where that came from... :bsmile:

Warning! Some Graphic Material...

Way back in '96/'97... can't remember exactly... the company I worked for had mandatory sixty hour work weeks (ten hours a day, for six days)... and I was so tired, during one breaktime, I sat on a bench, to get off my feet... and rest... but the break was only ten minutes, and I kept falling asleep... all the while trying not to, so I wouldn't be late returning to my station... and in this state, where my body kept forcing sleep, and my mind kept forcing wakefulness... I had what I still consider a vision... it was so vivid, intense, detailed... and realistic, despite its content....

As I sat on that bench, trying to stay awake, I suddenly found myself waking up in an alien body... with sunlight shining in my eyes. I was immediately aware of the nonhuman nature of my body... and strangely, I could still feel my human self... faintly... still sitting on the bench... like the memory of a dream. While I blinked, and lifted my head out of the sunlight... that was a very disorienting sensation to my now alien mind, this connection to this strange creature I had been, in some bizarre dreamlife. But still, the connection was there... I remember the air being cool and moist (my "human" body was in a warm, dry place)... and I remember feeling a slight breeze all over my alien body... and the act of lifting my head out of the sunlight... made me realize my neck was very long... I could lift my head up, and look down on myself, without lifting my shoulders....

But, I remember, the first thing I noted... visually... was the room being dark and windowless... except for the sunlight, streaming through frosted glass, from a pair of tall double doors set in the wall far to my left... and I knew... the doors had been set so the sunlight would shine on the head of my bed, and wake me at a given time every day... and, that the doors led into the rest of my home. I also remember, to the right of the door, in the lefthand corner of the room, there was a sunken area, with built-in couches (futon-like), some end tables, and these spheres... set into the wall over two of the three couches, and configured as a lamp, on the end tables... that glowed a soft blue. And... there was the hushed sound of falling water (this is important, later)....

I remember the bed I was lying on... my head had been resting on a thin pad, and my bed was actually a stone slab... a pedestal, if you will... bare, with no sheets or blankets of any kind... further, given the feel of cool air over my body, amongst other things, I realized I was naked... and confirmed that fact... after lifting my head out of the sunlight... by looking down at myself... having taken in the previous details (and others) in only a few seconds, while looking towards the light. At first, I was a bit startled... though I'd been vividly feeling every aspect of this alien form, I was still disoriented, having just woken up (I think I may have yawned)... at first, given the lack of external genitalia (actually, it was a dolphin-like urogenital slit), I thought I was female... but the alien mind I was part of was indeed male... and, considering my human self is typical couch potato... this body was slender, sleek, athletic, muscular (I could feel the strength), long-limbed... and healthy....

My hide was mouse gray, devoid of marks, markings or scars... if I remember rightly, my "hands" had five fingers... but they were tipped in short, black claws... my legs were digitigrade, and my toes... I believe there were only four per foot... were also black clawed. And I could feel this muzzled face... flick large, mobile ears... feel a mane of thick fur running from the top of my head, down the back of my (very long) neck, and over my shoulders... I remember lifting one of my legs up... the left one, I believe... and wiggling the toes... and I could feel a very long tail (I'd say at least half of it was hanging off the end of the bed), which I swung up into view... both seeing and feeling the large tuft of thick, dark chestnut colored fur on the tip... that tuft, and my mane, was the only hair anywhere on my body....

And at that point, looking down along my body, to the end of my tail, I saw the source of the falling water noise... the wall I saw beyond the foot of my bed looked like the side of a cliff... the room, a very large half dome built against it... and right down the center, from a hole in the ceiling, a waterfall flowed... ending in a pool circled by flat cut stones. I remember knowing that this waterfall turned a water turbine, providing power to my home... and I remember feeling drawn to it... like to the smell of coffee in the morning. Without thinking... as if it was something I did every morning... with a relaxed roll to the right, I fell off my sleeping pedestal (it was unusually high... at least, compared to a human bed)... and landed gracefully on my feet... stood on a path of stones, like those circling the waterfall's pool... only straight-edged, rather than curved... that led straight to the pool... I remember noting stones set in the floor on either side of my sleeping pedestal, and path stones set on the other side of the central path, perpendicular to it, but curving... to match the curve of the dome... with blank areas I knew were for other sleeping pedestals... though mine was the only one there... and I knew that this meant I was single... no mate (or mates?)... and no children... yet.

And then, I walked down the path... the feel of the air against my hide, as I moved... felt very sensual... my sense of touch, very intense... I could feel every bone, every muscle, every touch of air... the texture and temperature of the stones under my feet... as I moved... with an athletic grace... a sense of power... a swing in my hips and tail, as I walked up to the pool... the sound of falling water... and the feel of cool, damp air... growing stronger... without hesitation, I stepped into the pool, and moved under the rush of water...

... The sudden sensation of wet and cold bathing my super-sensitive hide... woke me up with a start, to find myself back on the bench at work, with a co-worker asking me if I was asleep... and telling me our break was over.

Though it's taken me longer to describe it, the whole experience took less than two minutes... probably less than one and a half....

But, that night, I discovered my dream/vision was not over... when I went to bed, and fell asleep again... I found myself back in this alien's body... I was outside, in daylight (under a yellow sun no different than our own)... and, I was both surprised, yet not surprised, to find myself still naked... even though I was now "out in public"... so to speak. The day was warm, with a cool breeze gusting about, and I was enjoying the warmth and sunshine by the side of an unpaved road... stretched out on my back, on a grassy hill... all along the side of this road, I could see other grassy hills, just like the one I was resting on (and trees beyond)... hills with dimples, like a well used beanbag chair... places for travelers to rest... my own body cradled by my own hill's dimple... the grass short, thick... and very green... very comfortable. I felt very relaxed, sleepy... in what seemed to be early afternoon....

And... I knew exactly what I was doing there.

I remember, through my relaxation, becoming aware of a sound... a vibration through the ground... of someone coming along the road... of footsteps. I looked in the direction of the sound, off to my left, way down the road... and saw a figure approaching, still too distant to identify... but I remember hoping the figure was female... the reason I was lying naked by the side of the road... I was waiting for a potential mate to pass by, as I enjoyed the afternoon warmth. But, as I watched this figure approach... could finally see it clearly enough to identify... I found myself disappointed. The figure was dark, and clothed... and, as it came closer... I could see this figure was an older male, his mane and tail tuft almost black, and his hide turned chestnut brown... wearing a robe than matched his hide coloration... both from his color, his clothing, and his physical attitude, I knew he had a mate... I remember knowing that not only age, but... in some way (probably to do with hormonal changes)... sexual activity caused fur to darken, and skin to take on the chestnut color of the fur... and further knowing, that the wearing of clothing signified his mated status... his attitude, however, was his own fault....

He walked with the same gait I remember... the hip swing and tail motions from my walk to the waterpool... but I noted an attitude in his bearing... he walked with his snout in the air... though, for whatever reason, he was walking alone... I read in his physical posture an overly superior pride... a snootyness, if you will. And as he came near to where I rested... and then saw me... I could see his snout go up... and he spoke. I can't remember exactly what he said... partly, because this dream was so long ago... and mostly, because he did not speak in English... or any other human language... yet I understood him perfectly. The gist of his words were: "You're too old to be single... you should already have a mate, like me... you shouldn't be lying naked by the road..." words to that effect. I know I made some reply, in the same language, but I can't even remember the gist of it, except that I made some comment about his attitude... something to do with my not being rushed to find a mate?... I don't remember what.

Anyway, he continued on in a huff... and I continued to enjoy the day... closed my eyes, as he walked out of sight... feeling the warmth... and the breeze touching my body. And suddenly... I felt something else... and opened my eyes. And had further confirmation, from my previous time in his body... that he was, indeed, male... in the form of three thin, dark blood red, pale yellow banded... two and a half (?) foot long... umm... you knows... waving in the wind. Just glad that other male was not around to make rude comments... but I remember being surprised, more than embarrassed... and I think I smiled a bit, as I waved them around in the breeze... can't be sure, because at that point, I woke up....

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
Jeez, some of you have got some seriously imaginative stuff going on in your subconscious.

I've been having dreams much more frequently lately for one reason or another-- as somebody who almost never has dreams, at least ones that I remember-- but they're never anything interesting. I tend to dream about prosaic interactions with people, generally old friends or figures who are no longer around, sometimes people who still are. A couple of times in the past, those dreams have veered into nightmare territory, but for the most part, they're pretty dull. If dreams are emblematic of repressed desires, then I seem to have a repressed desire to be really boring (one might argue it isn't all that repressed, though).

I did have a dream once when I was young about being chased around a convenience store by frozen fish. Stiff, frozen fish, hopping on their tails after me. I really couldn't tell you what repressed desire that's supposed to imply. Don't think I want to know.

as somebody who almost never has dreams, at least ones that I remember
My brother/sister! . . . Er, spirit. Whatever.

Never fear, Doctor "Psychologist" Otaku is here to decipher your dreams! Now let us begin...

In Celtic mythology, fish symbolize wisdom and creativity within you. However... the frozen factor, ice, references rigidity. Unexplored territory, or an absence of something. To pair these two symbols together, fish and ice, was your mind's way of communicating you were missing out on creative opportunities. Potential exploits to expand your mind and artistic ability were hidden away within you...

But, clearly, that's no longer the case since you're presently at Iwaku!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kagayours
Damn. Solid analysis, doc. You take Visa or should I send a check?

My "dreams" that I can actually remember tend to be nightmares, and it seems like I am never in short supply of them.

Back in October, 2008, I had an example of what I call "Impossible Mall" dreams:

I was a non-human creature, walking through a mall type place with a group of humans... I can't remember quite how it all started, since this dream session had been throwing a lot of disconnected dreams at me, but we were walking and looking around, and I was distracted by something in one of the shops... can't remember what... while my companions walked on. I turned around, noticed them off a ways, heading down a cross-corridor, so I quickly ran after... apparently on all fours, I think... in order to catch up with them. However, soon as I rounded the corner and headed down the corridor, I suddenly found myself facing... myself! At first, I was startled, but then I noted this "other me" moved in mirror image, so I realized I was looking at my reflection... substantiated when I noticed other, smaller reflections of me, scattered about beyond this threshold. I was this raptorian dragonish creature... part dragon, part dinosaur, don't remember if I had any wings. But I do remember, I was very unusually colored! Mostly orange, with a bit of yellow and red and black, and I think a few touches of blue... like either flame, and/or the colors of Autumn/Halloween. I also remember calling out for my companions, and noting my reflection's lips moving, same as mine. Anyway, due to all the reflections... and a bit of fear... I turned away from this strange "house of mirrors", only to find the Mall behind me had changed...

... only to find every turn I made... every time I looked away and looked back... everything had changed! So, I spent the rest of this dream, chasing about this ever-changing, Impossible Mall, trying to find my companions.

My friends and I were attending a anime convention being held at a school. There were certain classrooms that could be used as sleeping quarters. I think we were placed in the science room since there were beakers in the cupboards and counters with sinks. I remember being tickled that we were allowed to use the beakers for refreshments. I never got to experience the convention part of the school, but I got the feeling that they were saving food and drinks for the actual festivities. We shared the room with a couple strangers, they were very nice people, who brought in their TV.

As we settled in there was a breaking news story on the telly of a killer on the loose in a county nearby. He was tall, had short blonde hair, and brown eyes. Later that night I went to get us some ice from the ice machine and I heard a commotion coming from the office area. I feel so dumb now, but at the time I thought it was just the teachers having a sort of party after finishing with last touches for the convention. I went back the the science room and mentioned briefly to my friend what I had heard. Her face grew serious and I didn't understand why at the time. We went to sleep with no incidents. It's kind of funny how you can sleep in a dream.

Woke up the next morning and everyone was getting ready. I decided to walk the halls a little early. I wanted to see the cosplay before things really picked up, snap some pictures, that sort of thing. I found a grouping of teachers busily chatting in the hallway. I eavesdropped. There wasn't really a reason for it other than my brain inserted some game logic that people often eavesdrop on things that are plot important. They were talking to and about a newbie in the faculty. He had just come in this morning and as you can probably guess, it was the killer. An a knee-jerk reaction, I ran. I wanted away, I wanted safety. I nearly ran people over as I darted back to the Science room. I told them what I had witnessed and we locked the door. We called the police, but all the officers were dealing with a massive fire in a neighborhood on the other end of town. They wouldn't be able to reach us right away. They said they'd call the office and tell them to put the school on lockdown until someone could come. I am ashamed to say we didn't think about just leaving through the windows. It was the ground floor. Goddamn it brain, get it together.

After our unhelpful call, I curled up into a ball and watched more TV. There was an announcement over the intercom that I was to report to the office. I remembered that I had fled in front of the killer earlier and that he had probably noticed. One of my friends shook her head and pulled me into a hug. We stayed like that until I decided I needed a shower(because magically the science room has a shower now), I was looking to kill time until the authorities could come. My options were take shower or sit and panic.

I took my shower with no problems and was putting on clothes. I found out that I forgot to bring socks with me, it's a common thing I do, and I notice everyone else is gone. Panicked, I check the door and through its window I see the killer's face. He was grinning from behind the glass and I was trapped because, again, I guess outside windows aren't an option. What struck me was his eyes. They were dark and predatory, like he didn't see me as a fellow human. I wasn't an equal. I was significant in that I might have seen him do something and nothing more. I was an obstacle that needed to be purged.

He opened the door and I threw a chair at him. I'm not a very strong person so it just kind of harmlessly clattered onto the ground uselessly in front of him. He kicked it away and rushed me. He didn't have a weapon, just his gloved hands. I felt my back bang against the wall before he started to strangle me. I clawed against his hands and wrists, fighting for air.

I woke up. :D

My dreams are widely varied, every time I don't set an alarm for the next day, even if I could sleep till noon, I have dreams where I repeatedly wake up and I'm late for whatever. Other wise, I have a large variety of dreams. Like for example, I had an odd dream where the half life head crabs were real and more zombie-ish, and my supervisors from my old job drove around in a garbage truck and picked up the corpses. Most of my dreams evolve and become stories or become part of stories.

I write them down often whenever they have a cohesive memorable plot.

Reactions: An Otaku
We had to do a dream journal for Psychology 1. Only ended up having 3 dreams, but was able to use a memorable dream.

So!
One dream that I somewhat remember from YEARS ago.

So at the time of me having that dream... I was playing through Majora's mask. (the original because the wii hadn't come out yet for VC)
So, for some reason, I remember that in the dream... I was swinging. It wasn't low swinging, but enough to go high and that such. (ya know, where you pump your legs for a while)
Where was i swinging? well.... to the side of the zora researcher guy's hut. (Like it was an addon for the swing to the platform that the hut was on.)
I... don't like heights that much.

latest

Basically, to the our left of that Ornament looking building.

Another dream was basically an accapella/barbershop style thing... wtih.... anime characters. Three characters (I wanna say they were Rena Ryuuguu, Chiaki Nanami, and Blanc) and I were on an illuminated stage, the audience area dark.
the highest would start, eventually next lower and next lower joining in until I joined in as the lowest. Don't remember the lyrics.
I think a contributing factor to that dream was Watching a video of a performance of Ivan's Polka. practically RIGHT before going to bed... >.>; (Loituma's performance of it)

Reactions: An Otaku
Last night I dreamt that I somehow managed to connect a VCR to a 3DS. And then I came here and made a post like "You know what's wild? Seeing tracking lines on a 3DS screen."

I think a contributing factor to that dream was Watching a video of a performance of Ivan's Polka. practically RIGHT before going to bed... >.>; (Loituma's performance of it)
Not to go off topic here, but I love that rendition of Ievan Polkka! Anita Lehtola-Tollin is scary talented (though that being said, it's called Eva's Polka in English, not Ivan's).

Any dream I have that isn't an Ito Junji style nightmare is usually romantic in nature. I'm a very lonely person. T_T