Do mermaids classify as a cryptid?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Do mermaids classify as a cryptid?

• Total voters

MiharuAya

Memento Mori
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Online Availability
My timezone is PST
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Futanari
Genres
Homosexual, Romance, Fantasy, Scifi, Magic, Vampire, Werewolf, Supernatural, Angels/Demons, Superhero, Zombies
A cryptid is defined as an animal that cryptozoologists believe may exist somewhere in the wild, but is not recognized by science. With this definition, would you classify mermaids as a cryptid, or just a being based on fantasy and imagination?

• Love
Reactions: Fluffy
They totally do count as cryptids! Or at least, I think they should be. :o I've read some things about cryptozoologists investigating merpeople and even comparing their legends to the likes of lake monsters and stuff. I think there could be some real connections there and not just "it's because of magic" or "it's because of human mutations," who knows what spiritual or alien stuff coulda been going on in history, you know!?

Reactions: MiharuAya
I think they should classify, though they probably don't look like our romanticized version. I think people have made models of what merfolk would have to look like to survive underwater, and they look like human-esque manatees.

I made a project about mermaids in the 2nd grade before my teacher chewed me out saying that my research on a marine creature had to be on something real LOL For the next few years I hated her and also thought that I was one of the few who knew the truth about mermaids... So I definitely thought they were a cryptid. Totally agreed with wren, if they exist they definitely don't look like what we normally depict them as, but still cool to think about!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: rissa and MiharuAya

NO IDK WHY I HAVE NO REASONING B-BUT IT SOUNDS WRONG NO

• Haha
Definitely cryptids