3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Transgender
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
slice of life, supernatural, modern, romance, mxm, fxf
Hello everyone :D

I have heard a lot of good thing about DnD but I have no one irl that would be interested in the game. A friend of mine plays on voice chat and would anyone be interested in doing so? I've ever played before, so realistically I'd hope for newbies like myself as well as a more experienced player, if anyone would be interested in playing with me :D

If not, do you guys have any suggestions on where I could learn more about the game and stuff. Thanks!!

A very important question I must ask before being able to give advice is what edition of DnD are you talking about? Apart from edition loyalty they also all play with some significant differences. I guess general tips overall would be to grab a rulebook somewhere to read the rules and classes of the edition you want.

On that end I'd also recommend 5th edition as it is much more new player friendly.

A very important question I must ask before being able to give advice is what edition of DnD are you talking about? Apart from edition loyalty they also all play with some significant differences. I guess general tips overall would be to grab a rulebook somewhere to read the rules and classes of the edition you want.

On that end I'd also recommend 5th edition as it is much more new player friendly.
I didn't even know that there were different editions. Okay hrmm, what edition would you recommend?

Well, 5th edition is definitely the most beginner friendly of the bunch. 4th edition gets a bad rep for making everything too "video gamey" in their attempts to make the classes the most balanced they've been. If you like the idea of 3rd edition I would reccomend Pathfinder instead, which by virtue of being an older edition has lots and lots of classes and races and overall options to choose from, albiet not all at the same power level.

You should should also decide what it is exactly you would like to do with tabletop rpgs. A more rules-lite game might be better if you are coming from an experience of freeform writing. I'd recommend FATE, its a whole different game entirely however. If you really wish to roll the d20 and still have arguably the most freeform of my recommendations I would say read up on 13th Age.

• Useful
Reactions: RAIN.cloud
Well, 5th edition is definitely the most beginner friendly of the bunch. 4th edition gets a bad rep for making everything too "video gamey" in their attempts to make the classes the most balanced they've been. If you like the idea of 3rd edition I would reccomend Pathfinder instead, which by virtue of being an older edition has lots and lots of classes and races and overall options to choose from, albiet not all at the same power level.

You should should also decide what it is exactly you would like to do with tabletop rpgs. A more rules-lite game might be better if you are coming from an experience of freeform writing. I'd recommend FATE, its a whole different game entirely however. If you really wish to roll the d20 and still have arguably the most freeform of my recommendations I would say read up on 13th Age.
perhaps 5 would be best then. cus im like beginner of beginner >.>
and you said FATE was a completely different game? I'll look into that then too
thank you so much :D

If you're not against the virtual tabletop approach to these sorts of things, it'd be worth looking into Roll20. Great way to play D&D (and other tabletop systems) when you can't easily get a bunch of folks together IRL.

I'll second the recommendation for 5th Edition of D&D, by the by. It's definitely the most user friendly of the many editions, which helps it not be as much of a headache for newer players.

• Useful
If you're not against the virtual tabletop approach to these sorts of things, it'd be worth looking into Roll20. Great way to play D&D (and other tabletop systems) when you can't easily get a bunch of folks together IRL.

I'll second the recommendation for 5th Edition of D&D, by the by. It's definitely the most user friendly of the many editions, which helps it not be as much of a headache for newer players.
awesome thank you so much! :D

I appreciate all the help
i got a lot of hw to do now >:D

Probably 5th edition. It's current, so it's a straightforward way to go.
Pathfinder is worth a look too, since it's up there in popularity yet. The warning there is that because it has sooooo much material and options (even on the publisher's official reference site) it can be a little much for someone who has never touched an RPG before.

I dunno how well you handle reading through all the rules (I'm the type of person you could plop down the doorstopper rules for something like HERO Sytem in my lap and I'd have a good grasp of them by the end of the afternoon... I'm given to understand this is in fact a very rare trait amongst roleplayers... >.>;;)

Buuuuuut if you want to read up on them, this site has a good layout to poke around: The Hypertext d20 SRD (5e d20 System Reference Document) :: 5e.d20srd.org

• Love
Probably 5th edition. It's current, so it's a straightforward way to go.
Pathfinder is worth a look too, since it's up there in popularity yet. The warning there is that because it has sooooo much material and options (even on the publisher's official reference site) it can be a little much for someone who has never touched an RPG before.

I dunno how well you handle reading through all the rules (I'm the type of person you could plop down the doorstopper rules for something like HERO Sytem in my lap and I'd have a good grasp of them by the end of the afternoon... I'm given to understand this is in fact a very rare trait amongst roleplayers... >.>;;)

Buuuuuut if you want to read up on them, this site has a good layout to poke around: The Hypertext d20 SRD (5e d20 System Reference Document) :: 5e.d20srd.org
thanks i really appreciate it! :D