Discworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chillin

I didn't find anything on here about Discworld, so...

Taken from Wikipedia:
Discworld is a comic fantasy book series written by the English author Terry Pratchett (1948–2015), set on the fictional Discworld, a flat disc balanced on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle, Great A'Tuin. The books frequently parody or take inspiration from J. R. R. Tolkien, Robert E. Howard, H. P. Lovecraft and William Shakespeare, as well as mythology, folklore and fairy tales, often using them for satirical parallels with current cultural, political and scientific issues. The series is popular, with more than 80 million books sold in 37 languages.

So far I've read Mort (first novel in the Death storyline), The Wee Free Men (Tiffany Aching storyline), and a bit of Wyrd Sisters. I love the sense of adventure and comedy in the series, it's refreshing and lovable.

I want to read more books, however I don't know what to read or where to start, so...

Talk!

I suggest looking up the order for the WATCH books. They are some of his finest work.

If you want the long hault:
These are the books in order of publication. Within the parenthesis is the correlating storyline.

I will say this: It is worth reading from the start. His two first book are possibly the weakest. But it is worth it just to see the way his writing evolves nad it introduces a charachter that was pivotal for the early stages of the series: Rincewind.
  1. The Colour of Magic (1983) (Rincewind)
  2. The Light Fantastic (1986) (Rincewind)
  3. Equal Rites (1987) (Witches)
  4. Mort (1987) (Death)
  5. Sourcery (1988) (Rincewind)
  6. Wyrd Sisters (1988) (Witches)
  7. Pyramids (1989) (One-off)
  8. Guards! Guards! (1989) (City Watch)
  9. Faust Eric (1990) (Rincewind)
  10. Moving Pictures (1990) (One-off)
  11. Reaper Man (1991) (Death)
  12. Witches Abroad (1991) (Witches)
  13. Small Gods (1992) (One-off)
  14. Lords and Ladies (1992) (Witches)
  15. Troll Bridge (1992) (Short story)
  16. Men at Arms (1993) (City Watch)
  17. Theatre of Cruelty (1993) (Short story)
  18. Soul Music (1994) (Death)
  19. Interesting Times (1994) (Rincewind)
  20. Maskerade (1995) (Witches)
  21. Feet of Clay (1996) (City Watch)
  22. Hogfather (1996) (Death)
  23. Jingo (1997) (City Watch)
  24. The Last Continent (1998) (Rincewind)
  25. Carpe Jugulum (1998) (Witches)
  26. The Sea and Little Fishes (1998) (Short story)
  27. The Fifth Elephant (1999) (City Watch)
  28. The Truth (2000) (One-off)
  29. Thief of Time (2001) (Death)
  30. The Last Hero (2001) (Rincewind, although this is debatable)
  31. The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents (2001) (One-off)
  32. Night Watch (2002) (City Watch)
  33. Death and What Comes Next (2002) (Short story)
  34. The Wee Free Men (2003) (Wee Free Men)
  35. Monstrous Regiment (2003) (One-off)
  36. A Hat Full of Sky (2004) (Wee Free Men)
  37. Going Postal (2004) (Post Office)
  38. Once More* With Footnotes (2004) (Compilation of short works)
  39. Thud! (2005) (City Watch)
  40. Wintersmith (2006) (Wee Free Men)
  41. Making Money (2007) (Post Office)
  42. Unseen Academicals (2009) (The Wizards, Rincewind)
  43. I Shall Wear Midnight (2010) (Wee Free Men)
  44. Snuff (2011) (City Watch / Sam Vimes)
  45. Raising Steam (2013) (Post office)
  46. The Shepherd's Crown (2015) (Wee Free Men)

I have a first copy (swedish print) of The light Fantastic, that I spent a pretty penny for. Terry Pratchett is in my mind, the best writer to have ever lived and certeinly the most impactfull author on my life. I cried when he died.

• Useful
Reactions: chillin
Well... I don't have enough time or interest for the long haul, sadly. I'm not a great fan of books and it's a miracle I even managed to read two of his books to the end.

As for WATCH, do I start on Guards! Guards! or is there another book I should read prior to that?

Soon as I'm done with my pile of 80's war and scifi novels it's clear what's coming next.

'Guards! Guards!' ranks up there with some of the finest British comedy fiction written to date.

Man, I miss Pratchett.

• Love
Reactions: Darog
I have only read "The Colour of Magic" so far. But I loved it. It was fun and quirky and I am looking forward to continuing the series.

I have only read "The Colour of Magic" so far. But I loved it. It was fun and quirky and I am looking forward to continuing the series.
It only gets better. In my opinion, The Colour of magic is the worst of the books. It is still amazing but, the others after are even better.

Discworld is amazing, one of the best book series ever in my opinion. The Watch storyline is the best of it all, definitely give those ones a read if you're being selective instead of reading them all.

Discworld is amazing, one of the best book series ever in my opinion. The Watch storyline is the best of it all, definitely give those ones a read if you're being selective instead of reading them all.
Heh, now, if Croatian translations of that even exist... I doubt I'm gonna find anything in the libraries here.

Status
Not open for further replies.