Demons From The Past

Status
Not open for further replies.
It didnt take him as long as he thought it would to catch up to the demon. He landed quietly in a tree downwind of the demon and watched carefully. He spotted Anna immediately. When did she leave the house? He wondered to himself. A moment later, he saw the glow coming from her. He could only stare in shock for a long moment. He had thought that was impossible, although thinking about it, he supposed he should have expected it.

The flickering sense of power from her finally jolted him back to reality. He leaped out from the branches of the tree and dived on the demon, knocking it to the ground. He jumped up and placed himself in between Anna and the demon, his wings spread wide to protect her from wandering blows. He glanced over his shoulder at her, studying her at length. Satisfied she was still breathing, he returned his attention to the demon.

The demon was already back on its feet and snarling at him. A moment later, the demon leaped at him. A plume of fire burst from Leos's hand, engulfing it and giving his face an eerie glow. When the demon was close enough, he thrust his hand out at the demon's face and grabbed him. The fire grew and engulfed the demon. A shrill scream tore through the night, piercing and loud and completely inhuman. Within moments, the demon had burned to nothing but dust scattered in the wind. Leos turned and studied Anna again. He hadn't been quite sure if she was conscious or not. He hoped she was unconscious, that way he could still pull off his human disguise, although knowing the truth would be easier for him.

The strike Anna took by the demon's thorny tail was more than she could take. She felt the pendant's powers leaving her, and the carmine aura around her body was slowly fading away. She coughed up blood and her sight got foggier. This is it… She said to herself while the demon was preparing for another attack. Suddenly, a dashing figure stood in front of her. A light breeze was caused by that figure's speed and waved Anna's hair. Two large wings on his back were unfolded and hid the demon's appalling form behind them. A great shine appeared, the demon screamed in agony and then there was silence. Within seconds the demon was nothing but dust inside that person's hands. When her sight cleared a bit, she noticed the long crimson hair and that uncanny look glancing at her. Oh… its Leos she thought and a fade smile appeared on her face, a second before she surrendered to the darkness that was engulfing her sight.

He knelt beside her for a moment, taking a detailed inventory of her wounds. He could tell she needed help, but he was confident her life wasnt in danger. He lifted her in his arms carefully before flying back home. Once there, he layed her on a bed in a bedroom very close to his study. He spent a few hours with various herbs and modern medicine, using a strange mix of both to tend her wounds. Once he was done with that, he made sure she was comfortable, and that there was a glass of water and some crackers on the bedside table ready and waiting for her when she woke up. Only when he was done tending to her did he bother to return to his human form. He figured it was worth a try. He had yet to find out if she had seen anything, and if she had, would she remember it?

He shook his head and returned to his study, going over a few things. He hadnt expected an appearance so close so soon. It puzzled him. He spent a few hours trying to figure out why or how they'd gotten so close so fast before sighing and giving up. He grabbed a book and returned to Anna's room. He pulled a chair up beside her bed and settled down to read and wait for her to wake.

Her eyes were still closed but she was already awake. Her mind though was going through yesterday's events, trying to separate reality from imagination. There it was again. That feeling… Last night, she felt as if she was holding a great power inside her, something not quite human… she couldn't remember what she had changed into, but her fist slightly tingled as she thought of the way she punched the demon's jaw. Unlimited strength enhanced by her anger and determination. After that, there was a sharp pain in her stomach and chest, she was coughing up blood, she was sure about it… Now, only a fade sensation was left of it. How did I...?

Anna opened her eyes and turned her head on the side, noticing for the first time the discreet Leos, completely absorbed from reading a large old-looking book. When he lowered the book, his almost transparent eyes met her dark brown one's and she instantly remembered. He was there last night. Not him exactly, the one she remembered had… wings. Dragon's wings. A demon's wings… "You and I…" she quietly said as she vainly tried to stand up "need to start telling the truth to one another".

He closed the book and set it on his lap, folding his hands over it as he studied her. There were many truths he was withholding from her, most of them for her own good. Even though he now knew the truth about her, he was still unwilling to divulge very much. "Lay down. I've treated what I can but you're still hurt." He motioned to the nightstand. "Help yourself to the crackers and water. I can fix something more substantial later."

He paused a moment before finally asking the question that had been nagging him for hours. "What do you remember from last night?"

She sighed and closed her eyes again. If what she remembered was correct, then Leos was also a demon. If she admitted that she knew his identification, perhaps his behavior towards her would change. She wasn't scared though. Her mother was the one that sent her to him; she should have faith in her guidance. After all, he did save her life.

She was pissed off though. What was this game they were playing with her? What did they want from her? And why the heck is he so calm and serene? Honestly, it's as if he is examining me like one of his books. She was tired of questioning everything in her life, it was time she asked the questions and see how far Leos would go to hide his true nature. "Oh my, I remember quite a lot from last night. How did you find me though Leos? I was riding for quite a while. I wonder…" She said with an ironic tone, while remembering the distorted motorcycle of hers. Damn it…

He smiled and leaned back. "Oh, it was quite a simple matter really. There's only so many directions you can go from this place. Why did you leave? You knew demons were out there, and they'd already gone after you once. Another attack was highly likely, especially at night." He was amused by her sudden stubbornness. He'd been wondering how long the complascent side would last. Seeing this part of her was refreshing. Even though she hadnt said it, he assumed she'd seen it all.

She smirked to hide the fact that, the thought of danger lurking outside, hadn't even crossed her mind. She should learn to be more careful. "I left to get some fresh air. Is that a crime? I can't stay hidden here. Also … How do I know that the one I should be worried about isn't looking at me right know?" she said looking at him provocatively. Anna knew that if he wanted to harm her he could have done it already. Accusing him would lead to nothing so she went straight to the point. "Why did she send me here? It's because of this, isn't it?" she said and removed the pendant hanging around her neck. It had the same engraved symbols on its silver surface as always but she could vividly remember the carmine shine that was coming out of them last night.

"Next time, try to be more careful." He didnt want to keep her locked in here, but he also wanted to keep her safe. When she pulled out the pendant, his eyes focused on it for a moment before looking back up at her. "Yes. You need to keep it safe, and aright now, this is the safest place for you. That pendant absolutely cannot fall into the hands of demons. If it does, it could bring disaster."

Like I hadn't figured that out already she thought to herself. "That's why they are after me now; to take its power? That's why they -killed her.?" She said with a quiet voice. It all made sense now. The power of the pendant was what caused her life as she knew it to change. All that suffering was caused by a so called piece of jewelry. Suddenly, she threw the pendant away in disgust and hit Leos' chest. "Take it. You can protect it from falling into the wrong hands better than me. I'm too weak for that matter."

The throw had caught him by surprise. He shot up and out of his seat as quick as he could, moving away from the pendant. He could still feel the small burst of power it ad sent him when it hit. His sharp gaze stared at the pendant for a moment. He shook his head, tearing his gaze away and beating down the hunger for it. He had enough control of himself that he wouldnt let something like that control him. He focused his sharp gaze on her, all pretext gone now. "I cant protect it. You are the only one who can. You are not weak. The power in this pendant can kill a human, and drive demons insane. I can protect you until you are strong enough to protect yourself."

Anna was surprised; she wasn't expecting such a rowdy reaction. It was as if he was afraid of the pendant. His serene actions and voice suddenly changed, Anna could feel tension behind his words. If that pendant's strength could make Leos lose focus then how on earth was she able to control it? She managed to stand up, with not such difficulty, and went to pick it up. Now that her full focus was placed on it, she could feel a strange vibe coming from inside. A quiet sound was rumbling in her head since the moment she was awake, she couldn't sense it fully though till now that she was concentrated enough. She took it in her hands "So, how come I, a mere human can control such power that kills hu-?" she couldn't end her phrase. She slowly raised her sight and placed it upon him. "Leos…?"

He watched her carefully as she stood up, pleased to note she seemed to be okay. He studied her for a second when she trailed off. She'd finally figured it out, huh? "You're not entirely human, Anna. You're half demon. The mix of demon and human heritage is what allows you to hold the pendant without it controlling you. I cannot touch it because, as you guessed, I'm a demon myself. I'm the demon lord in charge of getting rid of demons that escape to earth." He motioned to the pendant. "Its gotten worse since word got out that that was here." He smoothed down some of his ruffled clothes. "It needs to be destroyed."

Her eyes goggled and her body froze. The fade buzzing in her head was getting louder, the more she realized the truths behind Leos' words. Her sight was placed upon him, but her mind was travelling years back, when she was asking her mother about her father "Don't ask me these questions Anns, am I not good enough for both parents?" was what she used to reply ,calling Anna with her diminutive. She was never good in making friends; everybody seemed too boring to deal with. Her mother was calling her "Queen of the Underworld" when she was little, and that's probably the reason why she thought of herself higher than her peers. Still… She never believed she was that different.
She left the pendant on the stool and approached Leos. The noise in her head was still there, she needed to ignore it though. She tried to subdue her anger and anxiety, and focused on Leos' "Who are my parents?" she said glaring at him.

"That has no importance at the moment," he replied. "Right now, the important thing is that pendant and the rise of demons in the human world." He turned and headed for the door. "You should get more rest, and eat. If you want something more than crackers, I can make you something. Just no more running off, got it?" he asked, pausing to look back at her. He needed her to stay safe, for multiple reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.