Demographics 10: Romance!

How often do you create Romancible characters?

• All of my characters are made with romance paramount in my mind!

• The potential is there for any of them, but I don't necessarily explore it with all of them.

• The potential is there for some of them, but some characters make no sense to romance.

• The potential is there for a few of them, but it's never central to any of my characters.

• Bah, romance. None of my characters are romancible. Stop trying to romance them!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brovo

Ferret Dad
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Afternoons and evenings, some weekends.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Douche
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
  4. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Science Fiction, Post Apocalypse, Horror, Romance, Survival...
@Staff: Keep in mind that (with Diana's permission and Astaroth overlooking it) I'm posting threads in GC first, leaving them there for a week, and then moving them to RP Help & Discussion after! This way, my demographics threads can have the widest breadth of community input without asking for unfair administration favouratism. Thanks. :ferret:

Demographics threads are, essentially, an attempt to record the community's thoughts and feelings on RP-related subject matter via a series of votes. Iwaku's tastes, habits, et cetera. If you want further information on prior demographics threads, you can find the demographics hub thread here. (There are nine other Demographics Polls to check stats on & vote in so far!)

Demo threads are not an appropriate place for hardcore multipage debates. You can ask questions about each other's positions, but keep them professional in tone. Otherwise, the spirit of the demographics threads will be lost. They're meant to sample the community and put it into an easily digestible form of numbers that anybody can look at later when creating their own RP threads or when curious about Iwaku's general demographics. If you're really interested in discussing the subject matter, create your own discussion thread. I would be delighted if demographics threads started to spawn further topics of interest by the community itself.

• A. Pace: 2
  • B. Romance: 3 (Winner--Coin flip!)
  • C. Politics: 1
  • D. Mechanics: 1
  • E. Story Themes: 3
  • F. Power Levels: 1
  • G. RP Completion: 0
  • H. Surprise me: 0

Question: How often do you create Romancible characters?
Clarity: "Roman-cible" as in turning "Romance" into a yes/no binary. In other words, how often do you create characters which can be romanced in some function or fashion?

Additional Questions
  • Q. It's been ten polls now. How many have you voted on/commented in, and do you have any suggestions about further features or improvements you'd like to see?
  • Q. Would you ever engage in a romantic arc which could result in failure, or which is guaranteed to result in failure?
  • Q. How do you feel about love at first sight as a storytelling device?
  • Q. How far do you enjoy exploring romance? (Ex: Sex, creation of a family, growing old together, et cetera.)
  • Q. If you do 1x1 role plays, would you say that romance is one of your primary draws to them?
  • Q. (GM's): Do you include romancible NPC's? Why or why not?
  • Q. (Players): Do you like or dislike describing your character's romantic inclinations on a character sheet? Why?

Community Choice Poll: Vote for the topic of the next poll! (You can choose multiple options. To vote, simply post in this thread which option(s) you want.) (Yes, this poll will shrink in size at some point. Some topics dead end after a while. :ferret:)
  • A. Pace. (How fast RP's go/how fast you and the rest of the community post on average.) (Single-choice poll.)
  • B. Politics. (New topic expansion: Polling to see the community's general interest in how politics manifests in role playing.) (Single or Multiple choice poll.)
  • C. Mechanics. (New topic expansion: Polling to see the community's general interest in how artificial mechanics like dice rolls and stats influence role playing.) (Single or Multiple choice poll.)
  • D. Story Themes. (As a follow up to "Tone" and "Character Ownership." Has to deal with what themes people find most appealing in a story.) (Multiple choice poll.)
  • E. Power Levels. (As a follow up to "Genres" and "Character Archetypes." Has to do with the average level of power player characters possess.) (Single choice poll.)
  • F. RP Completion. (As a follow up to "Longevity." Has to do with how many have successfully completed role plays, and/or how many completed role plays they have.) (Single choice poll.)
  • G. Character Depth. (New topic expansion: Polling to see the community's general interest in how facets of character creation and development function.) (Single or Multiple choice poll.)
  • H. Romance: Pursuer vs Pursued. (Specific follow up to "Romance." Has to do with whether someone prefers to be pursued or do the pursuing in romantic arcs. Will be gender divided for further clarity and curiosity.) (Single choice poll.)
  • I. Surprise me. (None of the above.)

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
Believe all of the characters I rp have that potential. In the midst of a group rp depending on the interaction with others, my character may end up in a romance... or not. It depends on the flow of the rp.

• Q. It's been ten polls now. How many have you voted on/commented in, and do you have any suggestions about further features or improvements you'd like to see?
I've voted and commented on most of them, I think. Sometimes I get too busy and forget to check in on the new ones. :P
  • Q. Would you ever engage in a romantic arc which could result in failure, or which is guaranteed to result in failure?
I would love to. I rarely see romantic arcs that don't end in "true love", even if the characters don't fit well together, and while I understand most RPs don't last long enough to allow for the rise and fall of relationships, it adds a fantastic extra dimension for character development.
  • Q. How do you feel about love at first sight as a storytelling device?
I think there are some people who are so good for each other that they hit it off really quickly, but love at first sight and love in a matter of days is stupid and awkward most of the time.
  • Q. How far do you enjoy exploring romance? (Ex: Sex, creation of a family, growing old together, et cetera.)
Sex is fine, family is good for some couples (especially if the aftermath of the RP is lasting peace), but I dunno, call me immature, but seeing characters grow old only reminds me of the fragility of my own life.
  • Q. If you do 1x1 role plays, would you say that romance is one of your primary draws to them?
It's nice, but romance 1x1s tend to delve into either a 24/7 smutfest or a 24/7 fluff nest. I don't know which is worse.
  • Q. (GM's): Do you include romancible NPC's? Why or why not?
Maaaaaybe. Only if a player took interest in going down that path. The NPC wouldn't really make the first move if it wasn't for overarching story reasons.
  • Q. (Players): Do you like or dislike describing your character's romantic inclinations on a character sheet? Why?
This sort of overlaps with my responses for the sexuality poll: it just makes things smoother, if I really want to do romance. I don't really specify unless it comes up, because sometimes I find a perfect character for mine and make a snap judgement regarding their inclinations.

• D. Story Themes. (As a follow up to "Tone" and "Character Ownership." Has to deal with what themes people find most appealing in a story.) (Multiple choice poll.)
  • E. Power Levels. (As a follow up to "Genres" and "Character Archetypes." Has to do with the average level of power player characters possess.) (Single choice poll.)
  • F. RP Completion. (As a follow up to "Longevity." Has to do with how many have successfully completed role plays, and/or how many completed role plays they have.) (Single choice poll.)
  • G. Character Depth. (New topic expansion: Polling to see the community's general interest in how facets of character creation and development function.) (Single or Multiple choice poll.)

@Original Question: Same Answer I give below with romanceable NPCs.

Q. It's been ten polls now. How many have you voted on/commented in, and do you have any suggestions about further features or improvements you'd like to see?

All of them if we count catch up.

If not? The first 8... Then RL happened.

Q. Would you ever engage in a romantic arc which could result in failure, or which is guaranteed to result in failure?

It's realistic, so I don't see why not. I write RP's to make a story, and a lot of stories will involve broken hearts.

Q. How do you feel about love at first sight as a storytelling device?

If sappy/cheesy/unrealistic romance is your goal then I guess? I get that RP is largely a fantasy and doesn't like to follow reality as a result.

But... That is so counter to how 'love' actually works I wouldn't use it in my RP unless if the character was supposed to be a gullible fool.

Q. How far do you enjoy exploring romance? (Ex: Sex, creation of a family, growing old together, et cetera.)

Ask me as a Teen and I'd answer yes to all of these (mentally, I might not actually admit it).
Today though? It'd be ok, if the story actually ever ended up in that direction.

But my big infatuation with living out romance/relationships is largely over, so I'm far less concerned with that stuff as I am with just telling a story period.

Q. If you do 1x1 role plays, would you say that romance is one of your primary draws to them?

Back on the Guild? For sure.
Now? Not at all. 1x1's are solely the result of quick Universe RP's to help introduce new characters.

Q. (GM's): Do you include romancible NPC's? Why or why not?

If by romancible you mean the option is open? Sure? I don't put any special thought into it, but people find love in odd places.
But really, all this answer really means is that I don't make all my NPC's Asexual, Casterated, Fereldan Tranquil Nuns of the High Sparrow.

So I'm going to assume what you're asking is do I make NPC's with the specific/sole intent of romance? In which case the answer is simply, no.

Q. (Players): Do you like or dislike describing your character's romantic inclinations on a character sheet? Why?

Yes, for the largely same reasons I detailed in the Sexual Orientation Poll. It's not a priority to me, nor something that dictates what kind of person they are.

Since this is expanded to just romantic inclinations though this does expand to stuff like general behaviour, interests, desires. But even then the only way I can find it relevant at character creation is if they were a big romantic in general. And those quite honestly just aren't the kinds of characters that I enjoy playing unless if there's a comedic aspect to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.