Dark Fantasy ~ The misty fey beings of the North (Open Signups)

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nightcrawler

Original poster
SETTING: Dark Fantasy ~ The misty fey beings of the North
(Medium Fantasy) Magic is not common but surely exists

Main Roleplay Thread
https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threa...y-fey-beings-of-the-north.63180/#post-1426590

Prologue

The legends describe the misty mountains of the grand North as exceptionally dangerous. In the middle of those mountains, resides a tropical jungle called El'Toria. Lot's of adventurers have traveled there and never came back. It always has been a mystery to the entire world. Some say that feylike beings live in the trees and some of them even have wings! Others say that they feed themselves on flesh and blood.
But what I am really interested into are artefacts... and you know what else they say? That in the very middle of the jungle, you can find ruins of a very old civilization.

As Totem Plom closes his book, he sighs. As he reaches for his cup of tea he makes an order to his friend the Barman.

My dear friend! Tonight is going to be a great night! Why not pour me some wine!

Introduction

Hello everyone! I would like to see if any player would be interested to test out my simplified concept where the focus is still on roleplaying but with a die twist. Players will have the option to see the outcome of an event by rolling a d20 and adding their modifiers + positive or negative Aspects. After rolling, they will be able to roleplay their character accordingly and that way, the story will shape itself in ways no one would have expected.

The Gist of it, how it works
It is important to understand that the rolls are simply there to bring some flavour and create unseen events.
The purpose of the d20 is to loosen up the story and open up new doors. The rolls won't be monitored and each player will have the responsibly to play fair and not alter their initial results. It is also important to not abuse the rolls and focus on the roleplaying aspect of the game as well.

Gameplay Overview
~
Arthur is determined to bluff the store manager and convince him that he didn't steal one of the expensive diamond rings that was showcased on the counter.

To complete this action, the player has to roleplay their character, first.

Arthur: "Mister, my father has been a great customer of yours for 20 years and he told me great things about your store. I always had grand respect for you as a person and for your business. I wouldn't do such an act, to ruin your reputation. Trust me."

Then, if the player feels like bringing some spice to the story, he can roll a d20+ his Charisma Modifier (+2) and add his positive or negative aspect, which in this case is his Social Status: Son of the king (+3).

The player decides the Difficulty Challenge and rolls.

[Average Challenge]
Arthur gets a 6. Fortunately, he had a +5 total modifier to his roll and the final result is 11. It's a success!

After roleplaying his part, the player writes down his Difficulty Challenge rating and his result.

Difficulty Challenge Chart
Easy Challenge 5
Average Challenge 10
Hard Challenge 15
Epic Challenge 20

Now, the other player will have to roleplay the manager's reaction, in consequence.
~

As the players explore and create a world together, the storyteller will enable them to find treasures that will give them, bonuses to their Ability Scores and will result in higher rolls. As the story grows, the characters grow as well, and they can acquire more Aspects, Positive or Negative.

Character Creation

• Roll 3d6, 6 times and swap the numbers around to best fit your character and add the Modifiers in each category. (Allowed to reroll all over again, only once.)

Exemple:

Attributes

Strength: 11 (+0)
Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 12 (+1)
Intelligence: 16 (+3)
Wisdom: 10 (+0)
Charisma: 8 (-1)

[Chart] Ability Scores (Modifiers)

1 (-5)
2-3 (-4)
4-5 (-3)
6-7 (-2)
8-9 (-1)
10-11 (+0)
12-13 (+1)
14-15 (+2)
16-17 (+3)
18-19 (+4)
20-21 (+5)
22-23 (+6)
24-25 (+7)
26-27 (+8)
28-29 (+9)
30 (+10)

*The Ability Chart goes till 30, however the maximum range for a Attribute is 20. Anything above is beyond mortal.

• Determine 3 Positive and 3 negative aspects that shape your character.
*Each one of the Aspects will have to relate to one of the Attributes.
*Every single Aspect will give a +3 or -3 (if negative) bonus modifier to the roll. (They do not stack)

Character Sheet

Name:
Alias:

Picture/Physical Description:
Race:
Height:
Weight:

Background/Story:
Strength:
Dexterity:
Constitution:
Intelligence:
Wisdom:
Charisma:

Positive Aspects (3):
Negative Aspects (3):

Last edited by a moderator:
Character Sheet

Name: Totem Plom
Alias: Toro
Threstleblade_zps677f30f8.jpg

Race: Halfing
Height: 3 feet tall
Weight: 40 pounds

Background/Story: Since his young age, Totem Plom always loved adventure. One of his favourite things to do was to escape from his home when his uncle was asleep. During nightime, he would open the window in his room and go explore into the village. Nowdays, he finds pride into collecting all kinds of trinkets and artefacts from all around the world. Since his uncle died, which was the last member of his family. He has been a true traveler and has seen all kinds of cultures and places.

Strength: 8 (-1)
Dexterity: 11 (+0)
Constitution: 9 (-1)
Intelligence: 13 (+1)
Wisdom: 10 (+0)
Charisma: 11 (+0)

Positive Aspects (3):
Wild Curiosity (Intelligence): +3 when searching
Hide and Seek (Dexterity): +3 when hiding
Tea or Wine? (Charisma): +3 to his charm when drinking tea or wine

Negative Aspects (3):
Little size, little hands (Strength): -3 to anything athletic related
Obsessed by his Collection Quest (Intelligence): -3 to his general focus
Sneeze twice, Sneeze quadruple! (Constitution): -3 to his general health, gets affected more easily

Reserve if this is still happening!

I would just like to ask if there is somewhere I might glean the uses of each attribute though. As in strength to smash a door in, dexterity to climb to an upper story window, charisma to sweet talk someone, constitution to avoid illness, intelligence to read glyphs and wisdom to use magic. Are these what they would be?

Last edited:
Name: Drystan Dawes
Alias: Jackdaw

6024709f6a9af3e081cc43ce33383cb1.jpg

Race: Human
Height: 6'0
Weight: 161 lbs

Background/Story: Named Jackdaw from an early age for his penchant to nick small glinting objects, Drystan grew up the boy of an innkeeper and first worked as the stable boy for the boarders there. He enjoyed seeing the various well-to-do adventurers shacking up there and first noticed the thrill of pilfering when he took an ornate pocket watch from an especially rude customer. This escalated as the years carried on and eventually he looked for better pastures through adventuring. He enjoyed finding interesting artifacts and if need be, taking it off another person.

Strength: 10 (+0)
Dexterity: 15 (+2)
Constitution:9 (-1)
Intelligence: 13 (+1)
Wisdom: 8 (-1)
Charisma: 13 (+1)

Positive Aspects (3):
Sleight of Hand (Dexterity): +3 when pickpocketing/lock-picking
Look There! (Charisma): +3 when distracting
Spot the Fake (Intelligence): +3 when appraising items or debunking a disguise

Negative Aspects (3):
Weighted Down (Dexterity): -3 when carrying heavy objects or armor