D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, people! So, a few friends and I are planning on a massive, weekend-long game of Dungeons and Dragons, and though we all know the general rules, none of us has ever actually played before. Therefore, I thought it might be helpful to ask for the advice of some experienced players, and who better to go to than fellow roleplayers? Anyways, if anyone wants to give a newbie a few tips, that'd be awesome!
Read the books, try 5e for a quicker experience in learning D&D as both player and GM.
5echargen.atspace.cc in case your guys are very newbie and don't know how do they start.
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder for the GM to prepare quick encounters balanced to the group.

Also if you want to break the game, go moon druid then become a bear all fight every fight. Worst case scenario everyone dies while you run away with two Bear's worth of HP protecting your real health.

keep in mind party damage output. as @Hellis pointed out elsewhere in General, dnd combat is simple addition and substraction. it is highly possible that mid to high level parties can slay dragons in one to two rounds depending on prep, buffs, debuffs, and positioning.

you partys buffer(usually cleric or druid) doesnt need to cast every buff he knows on you right off the bat. buff wisely and choose well. many times, its picking the correct buff that changes defeat into victory instead of the number of buffs.

sometimes boring is practical. there exists feat selections and builds that turn magic missile into a deadly storm of unavoidable damage. twinned repeating/quickened magic missile comes to mind.
Clerics can also play around with the Divine Metamagic Persistent Spell buffs so some buffs last 24 hours, essentially trading spell slots for permanent bonuses.
I once worked on a Kobold Cleric who abused that, combined with the whole "Dragonwrought = Epic feats at level 1" cheese.

Which reminds me I once also made an Artificer Kobold with the same epic feat cheese, but min-maxed to do nothing but make magic items for insanely cheap.
I named him Stam Sal. :3

Its these interesting thought processes and weird ways of using the game, rules, and items that make tabletop rpgs so much fun!

Oh!

And Quall's Feather Token: Oak.

Because everything can be solved by instantly summoning a 60 foot tall oak tree.

Got a door to break down? Point the token so that the tree springs forth horizontally and batters it down

Got an ogre you can't kill? toss a token and it and watch a tree fall on it

Fighting a dragon in its cave? GROW A TREE AND SEE HOW IT LIKES IT.

and let's not forget the always-fun mental masturbation game of trying to kill the Tarrasque at the lowest character level possible

personally, i think it can be done at level 1 if you can somehow drown the Tarrasque. i mean, the thing BREATHES after all. DROWNING is ridiculously efficient at killing things in D&D. Once you fail your Con save for drowning, it only takes 3 rounds to die. Similarly, find a way to put the Tarrasque in a vacuum. Suffocation works the same way as drowning mechanically speaking.

and let's not forget the always-fun mental masturbation game of trying to kill the Tarrasque at the lowest character level possible

personally, i think it can be done at level 1 if you can somehow drown the Tarrasque. i mean, the thing BREATHES after all. DROWNING is ridiculously efficient at killing things in D&D. Once you fail your Con save for drowning, it only takes 3 rounds to die. Similarly, find a way to put the Tarrasque in a vacuum. Suffocation works the same way as drowning mechanically speaking.
Level 1 Elf Wizard.
Use variant cheese to cast 9th level spells as a level 1 character. :P

Theoretically you could take it out with a pair of cunningly placed portals, creating an infinite loop

Theoretically you could take it out with a pair of cunningly placed portals, creating an infinite loop
which reminds me of another way of making an engine

that one magic item thats two rings that let you teleport between them?

add decanter of endless water/object with significant mass

add wheel or mill with a gear system

done

THE REAL QUESTION IS WHY NO ONE IN ANY OF THE CAMPAIGN SETTINGS EVER FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE AN ENGINE

or any of these other economy-breaking ideas

Maybe it is because they know it would break the economy and would rather live in a much more stable world.

Nah fuck that, i'm keeping the secrets of electricity to myself

One thing I've learned about DMing, not by dming but by playing, is always be ready to change things up. Always be ready to come up with something on the fly, like if the party does something totally ingenious/stupid that you weren't expecting, be ready to morph around it and make things work. Also sometimes you can just say "No" but you have to watch out for when, especially when the person thinks they have a logical reason for it to work.

Like it was said earlier, don't be too serious. You also have to feel out your group and be ready to adjust, like don't have a questline set in stone if you have players that do ingenious/stupid things you don't expect and instead make it more loosey goosey.

As for being a player, pick something to be good at, but have a backup just in case. Don't focus too much, but also don't generalize too much either....I don't know how helpful I'm being.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.